Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[WIP] RTE Player for Enigma2

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Zardoz

deezell wrote: »
    Built in obsolescence strikes again Z.

Yeah,very annoying as a few other streaming plugins dont work because of the updated Gstreamer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭deezell

Zardoz wrote: »
    Yeah,very annoying as a few other streaming plugins dont work because of the updated Gstreamer.

FWIW, try installing just the plugin.py file and let V 5.0 compile the.pyo. a long shot.

FWIW, try installing just the plugin.py file and let V 5.0 compile the.pyo. a long shot.
    Cheers ,will give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scanone1

Having same issues as : @JaMarcusHustle with the RTE Player Plugin 2017.zip

"Any time I select a program to watch, I just get the loading animation but it never plays. The remote is unresponsive while its loading and it never comes out of it. I have to reboot at the back of the box."

I am on EDISION OS-MEGA Openvix 4 2 030

I then only see *.pyo files within the OnDemand plugin, so i can't edit the python directly, as far as i can see.

Can you give me advice on either of these?

I also tried your tip of "try installing just the plugin.py file and let V 5.0 compile the.pyo. a long shot." but i'm guessing that doesn't apply to my stb.

Any help greatly appreciated to get RTE player working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Delete the ondemand plugin alltogether and put the rte player file in the extensions folder. that's it.
    http://imgur.com/a/AHSzK

• Advertisement

The default ondemand plugin gives me the error : "Sorry, unable to find playable stream!" for RTE Player.
    I deleted that plugin completely.

Now i only use the "RTE Player Plugin 2017" from @deezell

showpost.php?p=102108696&postcount=139

And that gives me the "I just get the loading animation but it never plays. The remote is unresponsive while its loading and it never comes out of it. I have to reboot at the back of the box." error.

scanone1 wrote: »
    Having same issues as : @JaMarcusHustle with the RTE Player Plugin 2017.zip

"Any time I select a program to watch, I just get the loading animation but it never plays. The remote is unresponsive while its loading and it never comes out of it. I have to reboot at the back of the box."

I am on EDISION OS-MEGA Openvix 4 2 030

I then only see *.pyo files within the OnDemand plugin, so i can't edit the python directly, as far as i can see.

Can you give me advice on either of these?

I also tried your tip of "try installing just the plugin.py file and let V 5.0 compile the.pyo. a long shot." but i'm guessing that doesn't apply to my stb.

Any help greatly appreciated to get RTE player working
    As the last post says, lose the on demand plugin and all its files. None of those work here anyway. Unzip that player file and put it in the plugins/ extensions folder, including the folder 'RtePlayer' reboot and rteplayer should appear in the plugins. The .pyo files in the folder are not necessary as the image should compile these on boot up from the .po file. Whither all images are capable of doing this correctly, I don't know. The plugin is just the single file plugin.py inside the folder rteplayer. The icon is optional. The zip file was posted including the .pyo already compiled on Hyprion enigma2, should be good for most images but read Zardoz post re. Newer images.

I gave that a go ,it still didnt work unfortunately .

qz0v95.jpg

Same here Zardoz unfortunately, I'm getting the same "The remote is unresponsive while its loading and it never comes out of it. I have to reboot at the back of the box" error.

Note for anyone else trying this: copy both the __init__.py and the plugin.py across. Just the plugin.py on its own did not work.

the edision/openvix compiled these and created the pyo files, but alas, error continues.
    Any advice on any other code that can be changed?
    Alternatively, is there a good web browser plugin that i could use in enigma2, and go from there to player? (apologies if that's a daft idea!)

• Advertisement

Yes Urbanfret - I have the same as that, the error is when i actually go into RTE Player and try to play any stream

Yes Urbanfret - I have the same as that, the error is when i actually go into RTE Player and try to play any stream

its fine on both boxes i have and on plenty of edison os minis i have put it on as well. Strange one.

awe0r5.jpg

Just as a matter of interest, as ARE they running OpenViX 4.2.030 (2017-02-06)?
    I'm using an flavor of that Firmware from freetv . ie as I purchased the box from them, just wondering if it is that

Just as a matter of interest, as ARE they running OpenViX 4.2.030 (2017-02-06)?
    I'm using an flavor of that Firmware from freetv . ie as I purchased the box from them, just wondering if it is that

No vix 4.2.023 on both boxes. original image from openvix.co.uk

There was an important sticky on the vix support forum a while back. not sure if its relevant to this issue or not, might be worth a read.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?54806-OpenViX-build-4-2-023-Please-read!

UrbanFret wrote: »
    its fine on both boxes i have and on plenty of edison os minis i have put it on as well. Strange ]

The fix came about when I published the error log in the alien2 forum when the plugin failed after previously working fine. A python coder ran the script in a shell and spotted the typo error which previously had not upset the player server. I edited the python script, recompiled and it worked. As it's entirely script based it should be transferable across boxes, but different images and how they handle python calls are bound to vary. As Zardoz says, the newer versions of previously compliant images may have different libraries that the old code can't reach. A lot to be said with sticking with a working image. Inevitably, the rte player servers themselves may change and the code will fail. The TV3 player out there was written for a server that has now changed format, so it no longer works. Unless a bored python coder fancies the challenge, there is no one out there with the time to keep track of these plugins, and their operability with the ever changing images. I can only speak for Hyperion 4.5 running on aa2/ sab triple 7162 box. I'll stick with that just for the fact that player still works on it.

Thanks a lot for all help.
    I can continue with player from tablet device any way so not the end of the world.

Zardoz wrote: »
    I gave that a go ,it still didnt work unfortunately .
    If you want to risk it, on another forum there is a method of replacing GStreamer with FFMpeg as the stream player. far less memory etc. Author says it will suit SH4, and most images. just run the following commands in telnet.

cd /tmp
    wget http://iptvplayer.pl/resources/opena...g_2.7.1.tar.gz
    tar -C / -xvf openatv5_sh4_ffmpeg_2.7.1.tar.gz
    sync
    reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

The fix came about when I published the error log in the alien2 forum when the plugin failed after previously working fine. A python coder ran the script in a shell and spotted the typo error which previously had not upset the player server. I edited the python script, recompiled and it worked. As it's entirely script based it should be transferable across boxes, but different images and how they handle python calls are bound to vary. As Zardoz says, the newer versions of previously compliant images may have different libraries that the old code can't reach. A lot to be said with sticking with a working image. Inevitably, the rte player servers themselves may change and the code will fail. The TV3 player out there was written for a server that has now changed format, so it no longer works. Unless a bored python coder fancies the challenge, there is no one out there with the time to keep track of these plugins, and their operability with the ever changing images. I can only speak for Hyperion 4.5 running on aa2/ sab triple 7162 box. I'll stick with that just for the fact that player still works on it.

RTE Player still working for you on Hyperion 4.5? Can't get it working here, been 3/4 weeks since i used so not exactly sure when it went down.

Tuesday13 wrote: »
    RTE Player still working for you on Hyperion 4.5? Can't get it working here, been 3/4 weeks since i used so not exactly sure when it went down.
    About 3/4 weeks ago. Looks like the player server is not compliant anymore with plugin calls for media streams. This may have something to do with RTE selling exclusive access to HD RTEplayer on Sky subscription services. Who's to say web based player won't be restricted or downgraded. It's already restricted to ex pats abroad, who must pay for Rte player International. RTE are skint, so they'll sell publicly funded services to boost income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

A lot of moving parts.........part of the fun with enigma2 I guess!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭tech

Hi there

has anyone got this going recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

tech wrote: »
    Hi there

has anyone got this going recently?

What exactly doesn't work, I don't have an enigma2 box to test on, but I might be able to fix the issue.
    It seems the player.swf resource is now gone from RTE's site. http://www.rte.ie/player/assets/player_458.swf
    The new mechanism seems to be using DASH to play the video not even sure if theres a way of playing DASH videos on e2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭tech

I'm looking for a .ipk for the rte player if this available?
    mad turnip wrote: »
    What exactly doesn't work, I don't have an enigma2 box to test on, but I might be able to fix the issue.

tech wrote: »
    I'm looking for a .ipk for the rte player if this available?
    Here's the .py file, go back a few posts to Feb 2017 to read how to install it. It stopped working in April 2017 when RTE rebuilt the player server and discontinued the old archive which was simple to access by this plugin. No one has built a python RTE player plugin since, not one that runs on E2 SH4 boxes anyway. Would be nice to have, as the box is plugged into an old LG plasma, no tv apps. T'other telly has player built in, Samsung smart job.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BztHgAu7cL-QTzlzNUpTallXN28/view?usp=drivesdk

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mdevilly

hello, i would be obliged if someone could show me howto fix/edit the ondemand plugin for the RTE Player. Im running enigma2 on an Zgemma H9S box. Much appreciated.

Martin

mdevilly wrote: »
    hello, i would be obliged if someone could show me howto fix/edit the ondemand plugin for the RTE Player. Im running enigma2 on an Zgemma H9S box. Much appreciated.

Martin

No one has written a new version to access the updated RTE player server. It would be a big enough task as its a completely different client model now, with geolocation, overseas subscription etc. They're not going to allow direct access to the archive like before.

fair enough deezell and thank you for your reply.

An alternative would be to setup a link/url to point to "https,//www,rte,ie/player/"

replaced "." with a "," to enable posting

Can this be done easily?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

mdevilly wrote: »

Martin

I had a serious look at fixing it a few weeks ago. RTE have moved to using widevine DRM encoding the video streams. Playing this type of content on an E2 box is next to impossible I'd reckon.
    The DRM free mp4 version does appear to be on the server, but RTE noticed a bug exploit being used by youtube-dl which was then patched and no-one seems to know what http headers might allow you to access it (if even at all).

Bug report:
    https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/18417

• Advertisement

Thanks to Mad Turnip for a coders explanation of why it won't work. It's annoying that an App can be engineered for Samsung's crappy TV OS, but not for Linux. Samsung not sharing the source anytime soon I guess, Even if it could be ported.
    As for using the browser version, is there even a browser plugin for E2? If there were, it would probably be a basic html page reader.

Thanks deezell, Mad Turnip

Everyday is a school day

Advertisement