Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

emaherx wrote: »
    I think any of the commercial setups would achieve that easily. But I'd use a battery myself, it won't add much cost and will pump on the short dull days too. Battery is also useful for electric fences. I've an old battery out of my old Defender which was no longer reliable for starting, but has been running 2 pumps and lights in my poly tunnel for the past 12 months.

I think the solar panels must rejuvenate a battery, my fencer is twenty years on the one battery that was taken out of my tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭emaherx

wrangler wrote: »
    I think the solar panels must rejuvenate a battery, my fencer is twenty years on the one battery that was taken out of my tractor.

Possibly...
    But if you use an undersized panel and the battery cycles regularly then an old battery will not last very long at all.

It's environmentally friendly to get more life out of an otherwise useless battery and cost effective too and you'll still get as much for it in scrap when it's really worn out.

K.G. wrote: »
    Yeah ill give rhem a ring next week maybe,the well is new so i must check out the yeild on too but this year not a great year for testing springs.thanks for your thoughts

Let us know how you get on.

The solar pumps are the best investment I've made here in a long time. It saves me hours a week hauling water or even messing about with an old petrol generator and electric pump was more time consuming than I realized. I've even added remote monitoring so I don't need to check the water daily when the cattle are in one of the fields further from the well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I remember my father dragging a big bush around the field to do the same job.

Ya I've often seen lads doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ya I've often seen lads doing it.

Heavy iron gate with the bush behind it. Surprisingly effective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

This is by far and away the most enjoyable thread on boards

Base price wrote: »
    That is great value Brian and best of luck with it. The ram alone would cost you that if you had to buy one and those bendy tines must be about €40/€50 each. Is it the grab only you bought or was the back end loader included as well.

The whole lot including the valve chest and all for €120, of course one Cavan man to another I tried to knock him down to €100 but I had the cash out pretty quickly anyway and I’d brought the trailer with me so he knew I was serious buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    The whole lot including the valve chest and all for €120, of course one Cavan man to another I tried to knock him down to €100 but I had the cash out pretty quickly anyway and I’d brought the trailer with me so he knew I was serious buyer.
    That is the bargain of the year, well done and best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

when a lad arrives in with a trailer your halfway there. id nearly let something go for a bit less. a bird in the hand etc.

sold a big old diesel cement mixer to a lad a few weeks back. he arrived with a trailer and was some character. for the lift dad got out of him with the chat they had it was going home with him one way or the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Sami23

when a lad arrives in with a trailer your halfway there. id nearly let something go for a bit less. a bird in the hand etc.

Just on that theory - would lads usually bring a trailer with them when going to look at a potential purchase say off Donedeal etc. ?

Personally I don't as like that I'd be afraid the seller would know how serious I am.
    Also, I'd never bring the wife's fairly new car - I'd always bring my old banger.

So what are ye're tactics to get a good deal :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Sami23 wrote: »
    Just on that theory - would lads usually bring a trailer with them when going to look at a potential purchase say off Donedeal etc. ?

Personally I don't as like that I'd be afraid the seller would know how serious I am.
    Also, I'd never bring the wife's fairly new car - I'd always bring my old banger.

So what are ye're tactics to get a good deal :confused:

Depends what you are buying.

Question the seller, how long they had it, what they used it for, why are they selling.

Do you research, know what market value is, know what can go wrong with them and what parts/labour cost to fix them.

Test all the functions of the machine. Get a mechanic to go with you if you can. If a tractor is parked on stone or grass, they may be trying to hide an oil leak.

Look at their yard, if things are kept tidy, its likely they look after their stuff.

As for negotiating, know what else is for sale as the seller will likely know this too. Don't give away that your too keen to do a deal, but if they can sell at the right price you will do a deal. Have your money ready to buy, don't be going looking for financing after going looking at a machine or something.

Be prepared to walk away from a deal, you can always just say that you will have to think about it. Ring them a few days later and they might take lower, of course their is a risk it could be sold.

Too many people only look at the price they pay rather than what they are getting for what they pay. A machine 3/4k cheaper can quickly cost that money in repairs if it wasn't looked after.

Don't wear your Sunday best, don't arrive in a brand new car, don't say you have a nice off farm job. Don't give them any indication that you've plenty of money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

timple23 wrote: »
    Depends what you are buying.

Question the seller, how long they had it, what they used it for, why are they selling.

Do you research, know what market value is, know what can go wrong with them and what parts/labour cost to fix them.

Test all the functions of the machine. Get a mechanic to go with you if you can. If a tractor is parked on stone or grass, they may be trying to hide an oil leak.

Look at their yard, if things are kept tidy, its likely they look after their stuff.

As for negotiating, know what else is for sale as the seller will likely know this too. Don't give away that your too keen to do a deal, but if they can sell at the right price you will do a deal. Have your money ready to buy, don't be going looking for financing after going looking at a machine or something.

Be prepared to walk away from a deal, you can always just say that you will have to think about it. Ring them a few days later and they might take lower, of course their is a risk it could be sold.

Too many people only look at the price they pay rather than what they are getting for what they pay. A machine 3/4k cheaper can quickly cost that money in repairs if it wasn't looked after.

Don't wear your Sunday best, don't arrive in a brand new car, don't say you have a nice off farm job. Don't give them any indication that you've plenty of money.

The only way to get a good deal is to be prepared to walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jaysus. Are we back to Brexit again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

And hope the next man doesn't pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Did this project a while back, using a raspberry pi and a hifberry amplifier.
    Some guy on avforums recommended the speakers and he was right. There is a fantastic sound from it if I say so myself.
    Controlled by app on phone, have my full local music collection, spotify, airplay, all internet radio stations etc etc.

a few pics.

556192.jpg

556193.jpg

556197.jpg

556200.jpg

556202.jpg

a few more:

556204.jpg

finished up with this.

556209.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Wrong thread, that's a long way from guntering ;)

Well made, looks the business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭older by the day

Wrong thread, that's a long way from guntering ;)

Well made, looks the business

Ya fine job, but I like the pictures of the MacGyver jobs, with a cheap welder and some nails . That's radio is gone up a notch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

ZF any more posts like that and there could be a thread ban:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Lol it actally is in the wrong thread, I meant to put it in here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073034

I mixed up the two "guntering" threads, "general" and "connected generation".

Anyway, I used gutter bolts in the bottom of the radio, does that not cover me ? :D:D

• Advertisement

Picked up this wee grab today.

https://ibb.co/P99tLnQ

It old and a bit worn but will be grand. It needs a new set of hoses amd a wee weld but should be good after that. One ram a bit corroded but I’ll Emery paper that and see how it goes.

€120 so it’s not a huge investment.

Fitted a full set of new hoses, got the valve chest mounted. Thankfully everything is working fine. One cylinder is leaking a bit of oil so I’ll have to get a seal in that. The times are a bit loose but it will be fine for what I need.

frLRrBY

frLRrBY

https://ibb.co/frLRrBY

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Fitted a full set of new hoses, got the valve chest mounted. Thankfully everything is working fine. One cylinder is leaking a bit of oil so I’ll have to get a seal in that. The times are a bit loose but it will be fine for what I need.

frLRrBY

frLRrBY

https://ibb.co/frLRrBY
    A few weld in bushings will sort out the loose tines.

a few more:

556204.jpg

finished up with this.

556209.JPG

It looks very well, great job on cleaning it up, I've a similar one here I was planning to do. But I'd like to integrate the tuning knob to change radio stations. I already have an old Raspberry Pi 1 connected to AUX input on an old stacking system here controlled by a web interface from a mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Did this project a while back, using a raspberry pi and a hifberry amplifier.
    Some guy on avforums recommended the speakers and he was right. There is a fantastic sound from it if I say so myself.
    Controlled by app on phone, have my full local music collection, spotify, airplay, all internet radio stations etc etc.

a few pics.

556192.jpg

556193.jpg

556197.jpg

556200.jpg

556202.jpg

Oh yes! This is right down my street!
    What speakers did you go for?

Base price wrote: »
    A few weld in bushings will sort out the loose tines.

Yea I was looking at those.
    Would definitely tighten things up.

I think someone may have posted similar before but I couldn't find it. My McHale wrapper clock won't stick to the window anymore, so here is a cheap and cheerful solution.

Silverline Tile Drilling Jig, available for less than €10, I've seen these on DoneDeal being sold as window mounts for €30 which is a bit of a mark up.

51257994017_e74e13bf2e_c.jpgIMG_20210620_090402 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

You need to remove the circlip and turn the bracket upside down.

51259760770_1070ac3ca7_c.jpgIMG_20210620_090506 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Then just fix it to the old clock, I just had to drill one hole in the original clock bracket.

51257993922_537b29ffe6_c.jpgIMG_20210620_093138 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

51259760670_7dbc044428_c.jpgIMG_20210620_093205 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Any recommendations on a place round Cavan to fit seal in a hydraulic cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Any recommendations on a place round Cavan to fit seal in a hydraulic cylinder.

Hand in shercock fitted one for me few days ago. Tho I got the seals in clarkes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Hand in shercock fitted one for me few days ago. Tho I got the seals in clarkes for it.

"Hand in Shercock" is an anagram of "cocks in her hand"

• Advertisement

What speakers did you go for?

Check the pics m8. :)

emaherx wrote: »
    I'd like to integrate the tuning knob to change radio stations. I already have an old Raspberry Pi 1 connected to AUX input on an old stacking system here controlled by a web interface from a mobile.

I fitted leds behind the tuning scale and put in a potentiometer instead of the rotary tuning knob, using the resistance to change led brightness. I used the rotary on off switch to power on the pi, but never used any of them in reality, only use the app.

Advertisement