Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking on yellow lines

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I did hear from someone in the know that the double yellow lines fairly recently put in on the approach to Glendalough had no legal standing and were put in as deterrents in a reaction to the parking situation being so bad one sunny Sunday that mountain rescue couldn't get through. I haven't looked closely but isn't it the case that they have to be accompanied by the relevant signage by the side of the road?

The ones up by the Pier Gates at the entrance to the Luggala estate were also extremely hastily put in again after a particularly bad weekend. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing applied here. Officialdom doesn't move that fast in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Alun wrote: »
    I did hear from someone in the know that the double yellow lines fairly recently put in on the approach to Glendalough had no legal standing and were put in as deterrents in a reaction to the parking situation being so bad one sunny Sunday that mountain rescue couldn't get through. I haven't looked closely but isn't it the case that they have to be accompanied by the relevant signage by the side of the road?

The ones up by the Pier Gates at the entrance to the Luggala estate were also extremely hastily put in again after a particularly bad weekend. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing applied here. Officialdom doesn't move that fast in Ireland.

Im fairly sure that double yellows don't need accompanying signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

isn't it the case that they have to be accompanied by the relevant signage by the side of the road

The only signage you need to readi is in the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

That same "source" probably tells people that gardai have to wear their hats when giving you a ticket.

If you believe such foolish rubbish, you deserve a lot more than a €40 fine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zenify wrote: »
    Because it would be a popular spot to park for a scenic walk.

You can park on the same road in a few spots but there's a T junction coming from the other side of the road near where I parked so they wouldn't want cars going onto the other side of the road into the T junction. There was nothing dangerous about my parking, I was not obstructing view or causing cars to cross onto the other side of the road. I do admit I am in the wrong, but not for yellows, for parking on a grass verge 😇

It was a busy weekend so all other spots were taken. If you want more of a laugh, as some posters say they would love to be in a car with me to see what I get up to. I drive for a living! I do about 200,000km a year and have 0 points or previous fines.
    200,000 at a generous average of 100kmh = 2000 hours 40 hour week , would you require you to be driving 50 weeks solid. Not a chance you do 200,000 Km a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Zenify wrote: »
    For people saying I was parked in between a motorway. let me be more specific, this is down a country road. There's a large grass area between the road and hedgerow. You see farmers parking off the road beside their fields all the time on this area.

The grass area is defined as part of the road. You were thus parked on a yellow-lined road. If you have nothing better to do you could argue the toss in court. It would costs more than the fine to engage a solicitor so your chances of acquittal would be low.
    You may not have caused an obstruction while parked but might have caused a hazard when manoeuvring out of that position onto the road and equally you or you passengers may have been in danger when walking to and from your vehicle.
    At all events, it is not a defence for you to say you were not causing a hazard. No parking means no parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

ted1 wrote: »
    200,000 at a generous average of 100kmh = 2000 hours 40 hour week , would you require you to be driving 50 weeks solid. Not a chance you do 200,000 Km a year

I'm including driving to and from work etc. And yes, a good few of us were doing that mileage. Don't want to go into anymore detail but that mileage was done! Won't ever be doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I parked on the grass again on a second visit and got a €40 fine. They really need to build a big carpark and charge €1 an hour and they would make plenty of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

You can not get a parking ticket for parking on double yellow lines whilst on the grass verge.

There is a separate specific offence of parking on a grass verge on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Can't see a more recent one but likely still in force anyway

) either wholly or partly on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1995/si/12/made/en/print?q=Dublin+Traffic+and+Parking

• Advertisement

S32 (2)(i) of the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997 are the most recent and state a vehicle may not park:-

"on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip"

The offence of parking on the grass only applies if there is a footway also, so for example if there is a roadway and grass, but no footway then there is no offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

A bit late, I've paid it. It was 40eur. Not worth my time in court trying to argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Crossing over the yellow lines to park on a verge is an offence.Another offence people don't seem to know about is where there is an entrance to a property and the road marking stops on one side then starts again.People seem to think it means free parking but it's obstruction even for the owner of the property to park in "the gap".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I’m lucky enough to be able to afford it and it was €40 well spent, I got a ringside seat at the beach for 2 days. Would have much preferred to pay €20 a day for parking though and not cause hassle for the council

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, no. It is only an offence to obstruct and entrance if you do so without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I had the same thought, however: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

"grass margin" means that portion of a public road situated on either side of a footway and which is provided for the growing of grass, trees or shrubbery of any kind;

No footway means no grass margin means no offence.

Now, "road verge" is where it gets really messy.

No, I am reading it correctly as pointed out by @Victor above.

Post edited by GM228 on

Just as well there's no offences involving a road verge.

The occupier of the premises, or indeed anyone whom they give permission to can lawfully park in the so called gap (subject to any other parking restrictions which may be at play).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If it was in the countryside and you parked well in off the road, were you not likely on private property? Would that make a difference?

I heard of a case a few years back of a spot which was notorious for catching people speeding (right inside the boundary where a 80km limit dropped to 60 and then immediately to 50). Turned out that the gatso van was parked on private property without explicit permission and loads of fines and points were rescinded after someone challenged it. It was pulled well in off the road

Advertisement