Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy Ritchie gets 6 month driving ban

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

What a joke, he was stopped when texting shouldn't even be an offence.

That clown will meet the front grill of a car someday, hopefully something like a range rover and he will regret his pathetic antics.

And I'm sure he knows this but he may have reasons for using headphones also.

Wishing violence or even death on someone who poor little you finds annoying speaks volumes about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"putting your life on the line"

Give over.

maybe you should wake up my good man and look outside your bubble. I don't have a lot of good things to say about the Guards. A topic in itself. However it can be a tough job. I guess you must have missed this: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/killing-of-det-garda-colm-horkan-was-random-and-for-no-purpose-commissioner-1.4282551

What about this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Garda%C3%AD_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

what about all the gardai stabbings etc. But hey, I guess I should give over, right? Being a gardai is easy according to you.
    greenspurs wrote: »
    So you wont believe all he says, just some of it ?
    Why ?

I've came across two types of spoofers in my life as I am sure many have. Some who spoof about anything and everything. All fairy tales. All in their head.
    Others who are "half truth" spoofers as I call them. Which are worse in my opinion. There's an element of truth to the lies. Like i dunno, someone saying how they were a barman in a strip club in spain for years. Riding the strippers and doing mad amount of drugs. Then you find out they were indeed in spain but for only 3 months and did a barman job for 3 weeks before they got the boot.

Now, be it full spoofer or half truth this guy clearly has not all his dogs barking by doing what he does. So I think he is a spoofer. Should we really be talking about what level of degree of spoofer? lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wishing violence or even death on someone who poor little you finds annoying speaks volumes about you.

Ah, it's just impotent internet big talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you are going to get all hot and bothered about poor, dangerous or illegal driving on the roads... the best you can do to enable you to throw your toys out of the pram is filming a dude checking messages on his phone for a minute while stuck in a long traffic jam ? Right, absolute fûckwit. Man is operating a bike without any due care or attention towards his fellow road users, he is careless, distracted and he is deliberately attempting to distract and harass the driver of the Range Rover.

If I get in a car now or jump on a bike, say a 2km round trip... I WILL for certain see people driving in contravention of the road traffic act. It’s not my job to police them, get their attention, start a conversation with them, to film them or otherwise. I’m just going to be responsible for myself, my own driving, get where I’m going legally, safely and without hinderance or distraction to my fellow road users, let the police , police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Overheal wrote: »
    This guy is preying on traffic jams in a way that not even the police would be willing to do because the public backlash would be understandable and loud.

In my Garda days, I did stop a good few people for driving while holding the phone, texting, etc (the offence in Ireland* is holding, not using, easily avoidable), but if I ever saw someone stopped in traffic doing that, i'd stop beside them, give them a couple of seconds to see if they realise there's a Garda staring at them. If they didn't, they'd get a quick flash of the lights, and a quick 'bwoop' from the siren. Used to love the look of pure fear they'd respond with. Made my day. Unless they were talking on the phone, I'd leave them off with the stare and finger wag, while trying to hold in my laughter. I'd also take the reg in case they did it again, you got one chance with me. Nearly as much fun as catching people shagging in the car at night.
    "putting your life on the line"

Give over.

Because it happened in the UK, here's a list of all the UK officers killed in the line of duty: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

Apt username though.

Anyway, there's no need for him to upload the videos, that just means he craves the attention and possibly money he gets from YouTube (I don't care enough to check if he gets enough views for that). If he really just wanted to highlight it, like others have said, he wouldn't show reg's or faces imo, but he also strikes me as someone who can't edit videos other than start/stop anyway.

I also don't understand the headphones while driving. Again as someone pointed out, he's in a fancy "jeep" which no doubt has all the mod cons of phone connectivity. People in older cars with no phone connectivity, maybe I can understand, but still dangerous to other road users (about as dangerous as those who want the entire population to hear what they're listening to).

*Unless it has changed in the last 4/5 years, I don't keep as up to date as I used to have to

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Strumms wrote: »
    If you are going to get all hot and bothered about poor, dangerous or illegal driving on the roads... the best you can do to enable you to throw your toys out of the pram is filming a dude checking messages on his phone for a minute while stuck in a long traffic jam ? Right, absolute fûckwit. Man is operating a bike without any due care or attention towards his fellow road users, he is careless, distracted and he is deliberately attempting to distract and harass the driver of the Range Rover.

If I get in a car now or jump on a bike, say a 2km round trip... I WILL for certain see people driving in contravention of the road traffic act. It’s not my job to police them, get their attention, start a conversation with them, to film them or otherwise. I’m just going to be responsible for myself, my own driving, get where I’m going legally, safely and without hinderance or distraction to my fellow road users, let the police , police.

Its better to get 'all hot and bothered' on internet forums ? :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What a joke, he was stopped when texting shouldn't even be an offence.

You're supposed to be paying attention to what's going on around you when you stop, not catching up on your WhatsApp groups.

The person reporting @cyclingmikey is responsible for 574 penalty points and £35,400 in fines. He should be knighted.

It's a shame the Garda reporting processes here are so bloody awkward that it makes it very difficult to make such reports, let alone hear back the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I dunno, I don't drive but this having one rule when in motion and exempt from rule when not in motion but still on the road in the driving seat, well that's not workable for me. You are still distracting yourself from what you're doing. What if someone responds when your are in motion later? Just going to completely ignore it? At the very least you have a convo going on in your mind whether you answer it or not, and that's a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    Without a camera stuck to his head, Ritchie would tear him a new asshole.

You make Ritchie sound like a right scumbag.

Maybe he needs locking up.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    At the very least you have a convo going on in your mind whether you answer it or not, and that's a distraction.

I can have a handsfree phone call or respond to texts by voice while driving, what's the difference?

Also, a conversion in your head is a distraction?? you have to be kidding - we would never get out on the road at all if that was considered a distraction considering how many things are far more distracting we do every time we drive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I started using a camera to record my commute after an awful incident a year and a half ago.

A car pulled out under me while I was in a cycle lane tossing me onto the road. As I lay there dazed a car in the oncoming lane didn’t want to wait to see if I were dead and drove over me and off on their way. It was a busy junction with many cars waiting in traffic. Nobody stopped to help except the first driver who claims he didn’t see me. I was lit up like a bloody Xmas tree in a cycle lane. Just before that junction another driver veered into the cycle and mounted the footpath to undertake traffic and I had to slam on.

So now I record my 25km commute. The quality of driving by distracted, lazy and reckless drivers in Dublin is appalling. They run red lights constantly. They’re buried in their phones, they aggressively overtake, they park in mandatory cycle lanes, they park on footpaths. There’s a serious problem with driving standards in Ireland.

I’ve sent a few videos to traffic watch and I’ve had one result in a fine and penalty points and a couple of others in warnings.

Reading the responses here is disheartening, it’s just like the drink driving debate all over again. Put your ****ing phone away and drive properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Overheal wrote: »
    I don't think he should be naming and shaming people, if he truly wants to be a simple activist then blur out faces/plates or it will lead to doxing etc. and communicate these things straight to police. He gets a kick, clearly, and revenue, from doing it this way though, so I have a low opinion of what he's doing. Even this recent video where he boasts in the thread title that you can read this woman's reasonably-private text conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCHKktml_XA (at the risk of giving this - person - more views).

All - people - like this, are going to do, is drive a change in the law, which should happen: texting while stationary shouldn't be considered a problem until its a problem. In motion, grand, make it an offense. If you're stationary and you're obstructing the flow of traffic, you didn't notice a light change, etc., grand, make it an offense. This guy is preying on traffic jams in a way that not even the police would be willing to do because the public backlash would be understandable and loud.

Holy fúck, the guy on the bike is an absolute arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Maybe he needs to do it as the police don't seem to be capable and a lot of drivers and cyclists seem to think the rules don't apply to them.

Why does anyone think it's acceptable to phone/text/WhatsApp just because their stopped at traffic lights/junctions?

You're still driving the car/cycling. It's not that difficult to keep the inane and pointless calls and text til later.

I can have a handsfree phone call or respond to texts by voice while driving, what's the difference?

Also, a conversion in your head is a distraction?? you have to be kidding - we would never get out on the road at all if that was considered a distraction considering how many things are far more distracting we do every time we drive.

Here's the difference:

From the RSA;
    The World Health Organisation report on ‘Mobile phone
    use: a growing problem of driver distraction’ states that phone conversations on a mobile are more distracting that conversations with passengers in the vehicle because: ‘passengers are more aware of the driving situation and road environment, and can moderate, adapt or delay the conversations during challenging driving circumstances, a phenomenon that does not occur during phone conversations.’

From down under:
    • CARRS-Q’s Advanced Driving Simulator enables researchers to study drivers in critical situations with a high degree of realism. Simulator-based research has been valuable to develop insights into our understanding of distracted driving and mobile phone use. Recent research findings include:
    ° Mobile phone conversations impair the reaction times of young drivers when confronted with a traffic event that originates in their peripheral vision (e.g. a pedestrian attempting to cross a road from the footpath).14,15
    ° The braking of mobile phone distracted drivers is abrupt or aggressive.16
    ° Drivers’ responses to traffic light changes at intersections are influenced by mobile phone conversations.17
    ° Mobile phone distraction impairs the speed selection, acceleration,
    deceleration and headway distance of drivers during car-following.18
    ° The safety margin during gap acceptance at roundabouts is lower for distracted drivers than non-distracted drivers.19
    ° Effects of hands-free and handheld mobile phone conversations tend to be similar for reaction time, speed selection, gap acceptance and braking behaviour of drivers, suggesting inattention rather than manual dexterity
    is a crucial factor.15,16,

Just concentrate on driving, would you please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Having a look at his phone while stuck in traffic? Scandalous, he should be shot by firing squad.

Having a look at his phone while stuck in traffic? Scandalous, he should be shot by firing squad.

A bit harsh perhaps? The usual penalty is fine, though given that he already had nine penalty points, it was a bit dumb to expose himself like that. Can he not afford a driver so he can text to his heart's content?

There are now specific requirements in the UK. Looking at the screen is not illegal, you need to see interaction. There was a high court case that ended up setting it out.

https://thedrivingsolicitor.co.uk/2019/08/28/high-court-clarifies-the-law-in-2019-on-using-a-mobile-phone-whilst-driving/

The key part to what @CyclingMikey does is:

“performing an interactive communication function.”

He captures the drivers doing exactly this. Not glancing at their phone but prolonged usage. He has videos where he follows along side with cars as the zombie driver, head buried in phone, moves along in stop start traffic with significantly reduced reaction to the flow of traffic.

Not only is this extremely dangerous driving, he’s right by their window and they don’t see him so they’re not checking mirrors, they’re also contributing to congestion.

Maybe he needs to do it as the police don't seem to be capable and a lot of drivers and cyclists seem to think the rules don't apply to them.

Why does anyone think it's acceptable to phone/text/WhatsApp just because their stopped at traffic lights/junctions?

You're still driving the car/cycling. It's not that difficult to keep the inane and pointless calls and text til later.

Sitting in traffic is boring, the phone rarely leaves my hand when in stop start traffic as I’d be texting, reading the news, browsing boards etc (a not insignificant number of my posts have been while driving in slow traffic) etc. Thinking it’s dangerous to use your phone when stopped is just plain stupid, pc gone mad rubbish.

I also specifically “save” calls I have to make if I know I’ll be doing a long drive as it passes the time and is a very good use of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

5uspect wrote: »
    There are now specific requirements in the UK. Looking at the screen is not illegal, you need to see interaction. There was a high court case that ended up setting it out.

https://thedrivingsolicitor.co.uk/2019/08/28/high-court-clarifies-the-law-in-2019-on-using-a-mobile-phone-whilst-driving/

The key part to what @CyclingMikey does is:

“performing an interactive communication function.”

He captures the drivers doing exactly this. Not glancing at their phone but prolonged usage. He has videos where he follows along side with cars as the zombie driver, head buried in phone, moves along in stop start traffic with significantly reduced reaction to the flow of traffic.

Not only is this extremely dangerous driving, he’s right by their window and they don’t see him so they’re not checking mirrors, they’re also contributing to congestion.
    I take your point about congestion, but calling what Guy Ritchie did "extremely dangerous" is ludicrous. What is dangerous and causes congestion is blocking oncoming cars while on a bike, to the point where they are flashing you to get out of the way. Which is what happens in the video.

• Advertisement

Without a camera stuck to his head, Ritchie would tear him a new asshole. Guy has mastered several martial arts. This tool with his go pro is penalising road traffic offenders, as he himself blocks a public road, putting other road users and himself in danger. The video represents everything that’s wrong with the modern world. Go Pro Man is he himself only looking for fame and attention.

Ritchie would want to be incredibly thick to think that's the only camera around him. Anything he does in traffic is likely to be filmed on a helmetcam or dashcam, or by a passer-by with a mobile phone. I've seen incidents in London where you end up with two difference perspectives, because there were two different cameras in the area filming from different directions. We're not quite at that level of saturation here, but there are a fair bunch of helmetcams and dashcams around, so anyone thinking that they're never going to be caught on camera pulling a fast one, or doing a dangerous overtake or driving with their phone in their hand is a fool.
    Sitting in traffic is boring, the phone rarely leaves my hand when in stop start traffic as I’d be texting, reading the news, browsing boards etc (a not insignificant number of my posts have been while driving in slow traffic) etc. Thinking it’s dangerous to use your phone when stopped is just plain stupid, pc gone mad rubbish.

I also specifically “save” calls I have to make if I know I’ll be doing a long drive as it passes the time and is a very good use of time.

If driving is too boring for you, take the bus. Holding a phone in your hand is illegal here, unlike the UK where they have to show interaction. Texting, reading the news, browsing and posting to boards is illegal, regardless of how bored you are. It's also incredibly dumb, and incredibly selfish to assume that piles of research showing the dangers of distracted driving don't apply to you, only to other people.

It's only a matter of time before you start clocking up penalty points.

Making hands-free calls isn't illegal, but it is also dangerously distracting.

You’re the problem here. It’s the exact same mentality as regards drink driving. You are a bad driver and you should feel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You make Ritchie sound like a right scumbag.

Maybe he needs locking up.

I don’t think Ritchie is a scumbag. I’m just saying that this wimpy guy with a camera stuck to his head, wouldn’t be so brave if he was one to one with Ritchie down a dark alley, without any cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I don’t think Ritchie is a scumbag. I’m just saying that this wimpy guy with a camera stuck to his head, wouldn’t be so brave if he was one to one with Ritchie down a dark alley, without any cameras.

And yet you insinuate again that he's a violent thug.

Would Ritchie be driving down the dark alley with his phone in his hand in your scenario? Because if not, I don't think Mikey would have engaged with him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thought it was a bit harsh, he was stopped at the time and it was a quiet section of road.

A fine and a few points would have been enough of a punishment I'd have thought.

And that guy on the bike was a total wanker.

Thought it was a bit harsh, he was stopped at the time and it was a quiet section of road.

A fine and a few points would have been enough of a punishment I'd have thought.

He got a fine and a few points. He already had nine points on his licence from three previous speeding incidents, and obviously reckoned that the law didn't apply to him. That's why he was disqualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He got a fine and a few points. He already had nine points on his licence from three previous speeding incidents, and obviously reckoned that the law didn't apply to him. That's why he was disqualified.

Ok.

Thought it was his first offence.

Advertisement