Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

While not McCammons usual type of book I am about 300 pages into it , and enjoying it more than I thought I would.
    Speaks the Nightbird is the finest novel this author has yet produced, and considering his other works, such as Boy's Life, Gone South, and the epic Swan Song, that's saying something. The novel concerns the coming age of a Magistrate's squire in a struggling colonial town, and a witchcraft trial which will forever change his life. The book richly evocates it's setting, and it's obvious McCammon has done a great deal of research into his subject matter. Although not an out and out horror novel, this has it's fair share of grisly moments, but bottom line it's an intensely involving and absorbing read with (unusually in this reader's experience) a richly rewarding climax. Not only that: but the book, despite being a fantastic stand alone work, manages to offer the tantalising prospect of a sequel. Robert McCammon is simply one of the finest authors working today. Read this, you will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Started The Fall by Albert Camus.Don't think it's as great as The Outsider or The Plague,but still fairly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

The Rapture by Liz Jensen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks.

Not bad but not as good as the first two. I think I'll take a little break from the Culture.
    What a coincidence - I've been reading this too, and finished it half an hour ago. The "twist" at the end wasn't quite as effective as it could have been, I thought. I've read the first three Culture novels in the last month, and also fancy a break.
    So the character we've known as Cheradenine, all through the book, was actually an imposter - but that means that we never got to learn much about the original Cheradenine. He was the "good guy" in a couple of flashbacks, and that's about it.

Conversely: the imposter (Elethiomel) is, we learn at the end, a genuine sociopath who murdered his cousin and made her bones in to a chair - but in the remainder of the book he doesn't show much sign of that. If anything, he's riven by guilt, no longer the sociopath he was before. The most violent scene in the book (by far) involved the drone (Skaffen-Amtiskaw) and its "knife missiles".

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

The Junior Officers' Reading Club by Patrick Hennessey.

Soldiering in the British army at home and abroad, pretty good but not as good as I was led to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Euripides Alcestis/Hippolytus/Iphigenia in Taurus.

Love a good Greek :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Confessions of an ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire. An interesting twist on Cinderella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

^^^ Yeah, it's one of his better ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I picked up Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult so I'm excited to start reading it :D She is one of my favorite authors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Synopsis: Hopeless individuals playing the part of cogs.

My favourite piece of prose from the book so far: "....watching the hard brilliance of the stars, enjoying the incredible hazy swarm of a star cluster, like a giant conglomeration of fire-flies caught in mid-motion and stilled forever"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome. It's the second time I read it and it's still funny and exciting.

One Day by David Nicholls

The Blindfold by Siri Hustvedt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

A Week At The Airport: A Heathrow Diary by Alain de Botton.

I'm a sucker for de Botton's philosophical musings.

'Started Early, Took My Dog' ... Kate Atkinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I normally try to finish one book before I start another, but somehow I've now got 3 on the go:

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Nemesis by Jo Nesbro

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Have two on the go at the moment

The hare with amber eyes by Edmond de waal

and Still Missing by Chevy Stevens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

This week I picked back up Les Miserables. I've been at it for ages now, but that's mainly due to reading about half of it and then not picking it up for months (final year college exams). I was considering starting again or even reading from a few chapters back but the general plotline up to the point I'm at is surprisingly fresh in my mind now that I have read the next few pages. It's a really great book, but I have no idea where the story is going from here (which I guess is part of the quality).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bevvie

Lately I've started reading Thud! by Terry Pratchett.
    It's an excellent read and I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't start his books sooner.
    So funny yet true in places and a bit sad too.

Keith Richards, Life.

Fun. Though how he can remember all that's beyond me, when a clean-living gal like me can't remember last week :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

I've been perusing a book of poetry: One Landscape Still by Patrick MacDonagh.
    The 1958 edition; poems reprinted from The Dublin Magazine.
    It's so expressive - I love poetry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Reading the cobra by Frederick forsyth and planning on hitting the Joe nesbo collection next. Must order them asap on TBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Who Really Runs Ireland, Matt Cooper.

Enlightening, here's hoping Tony O'reilly never gets his paws on boards :)

• Advertisement

Orwell, Homage to Catalonia

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream

I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in a couple of hours yesterday afternoon. Incredibly, it's one I've never got around to reading so I decided that needed to be remedied :)

I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in a couple of hours yesterday afternoon. Incredibly, it's one I've never got around to reading so I decided that needed to be remedied :)
    Cool! ...I've never read Love Story - I might check it out.

• Advertisement

Beckett, Complete Dramatic Works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Postcards by E. Annie Proulx.

Found this book while visiting my granny during the week and borrowed it.
    Here's some of the blurb:

'The richness of America is portrayed with memorable effect in this remarkable first novel - Faulkner springs to mind. Postcards is written from the heart and - for its raspy dialogue, laconic humour and beautiful description of the natural world - deserves to be widely read.'

'.......not since Steinbeck has the migrant worker's life been so evocatively rendered.'

'Loyal Blood is one of those rare, haunted characters who continue to live in the mind after you finish the book.'

I'm only about 50 pages or so into it but already I'm reminded of 'Of Mice and Men'. It has the same kind of feel to it, hence the reference to Steinbeck in the blurb I suppose. Anybody here read it? I already have the feeling that its going to be very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis.

I picked up a few books in the library and started The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd. On chapter 6 and nearly half way through, really like it.

War and Peace. This could take a while :pac: Liking it though.

It's my current MP3 book for when I go walking .... years since I read it & I think I remember a TV version years ago & a lot of girls named Natasha or Sonya around that time. :D

Oryx & Crake.

Excellent so far

Starting The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Jon Ronson, The Psychopath Test. Very enjoyable.

Well done for taking up the challenge :D I read that book and very glad I did.

I started reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel lastnight, it started off extremely dull but after the first 50 pages it's starting to get interesting and easier to read. I'm going to keep at it and see how it goes :)

• Advertisement

I picked up Dante's Divine Comedy on my lunch break today. It was on someone's reading list and sounded interesting. It looks rather daunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

I started Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert I've heard so much about so I said what the hell :D So far it's alright.

^^^ Awful awful book :p

I'm reading The Postmistress by Sarah Blake. I love novels set during WWII so quite enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Just finished Salinger's Franny and Zooey. I preferred The Catcher in the Rye but it's not too bad all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

The Odyssey by Homer.

Confused by the initial few pages, now totally absorbed!

^^^ Awful awful book :p

Yeah! It's nothing special I have a few pages left and I'm finding it hard to keep myself in it. On a stranger note I have managed to fall in love with Italy through it haha! :rolleyes:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Really enjoying it so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

No and Me, Delphine De Vigan. Thoroughly enjoyable read

Advertisement