Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foreign Films - Please Recommend

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Placebo wrote:
    i just dont know why people particularly like the host tbh. I just feel that some people like it for the sole reason of it being a foreign film.

I just thought it was an incredibly enjoyable creature flick- the best i've ever seen personally. Granted its not a cinematic art-house masterpiece but for an enjoyable horror/comedy it certainly does the job. That being said you're well intitled to your viewpoint and i can't argue with you on that.

Regarding SSAWS any slow moving film could be consider boring, i mainly enjoyed it as i A) loved the cinematography
    and B) was in the mood for a slow relaxing film (not all escapisms
    have to be high octane affairs- take minamilist music as an
    example- not everybody's cup of tea but surely others
    should be able to appreciate that)

I'd agree with you to an extent with the notion that some (most likely very few and i'm not talking about you Karl!) do often like films just because they're foreign however the subtelty found in most foreign films is more than often exempt in Hollywood films and many viewers find that appealing. However the difference in style certainly shouldn't wholly comensate for any lack of substance.

Anyway in regarding to Korean cinema, in fairness for such a small country Korea has certainly created many noteworthy films (possibly most of those from asia in recent years) so they should certainly be commended for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

1huge1 wrote:
    'The lives of others' was very impressive

original title in German: Das Leben der Anderen

I thought this was a brilliant film! Definitely one I'd recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

For what its worth:

'A Short Film about Killing'

'Babette's Feast'

'Diva'

'Pele The Conquerer'

'Betty Blue'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Attack the Gas Station is a GREAT Korean comedy if you ever find it. I HIGHLY recommend it (to Karl in particular, if he hasn't seen it). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0262246/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

"La Vita E Bella" it's my favourite
    There's also another one... a french one about this competition that these really wealthy guys have to bring to a party the stupidest guy they can... anyone know what its called? (just googled it and got "Dîner de cons" which I know it is)
    Oh and I saw "Dragon Tiger Gate" recently enough. It's one of them Chinese movies but instead of good vs evil, it's evil vs eviler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

jackdaw wrote:
    anyone recommend good Japanese films that aren't ASIA EXTREME ?

I'm a huge Shunji Iwai fan, already mentioned by Karl-Hungus.
    my favourite movies are,

All about lily chu chu
    Hana and Alice

also check out
    Ima Ai ni Yukimasu
    Cha no Aji
    and maybe.. Sekai no chuchin de ai wo sakebu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Placebo wrote:
    no they dont, name atleast 10. Theyre full of their pop bull block buster girl/boy love releases. they have an odd good one

anyway brick is awful i thought.
    as mentioned before,
    Delicatessen
    City of God
    The whole mr venegence/oldboy/miss vengence series

"The whole mr venegence/oldboy/miss vengence series"

some of the finest KOREA has to offer lol ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

All about lily chu chu
    Hana and Alice

absolutely ****ing fantastic movies.

Survive style 5 is another great japanese movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wang-ui namja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

is_that_so wrote:
    El Espíritu de la colmena( Spirit of the Beehive)
    You can catch this suggestion of mine on BBC4 tomorrow night @11.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

If you like kung fu films try the prodigal son, legend of a fighter, tai chi boxer, and the modern ones kung fu hustle, shaolin soccer and fearless.

Asian Thrillers
    The Triple Cross (by the director of battle royale), Infernal affairs, The Killer (John Woo/ Chow Yun Fat, one of my fav films). Crime Story.

Others

Police Story, Ong Bak, The Warrior King, The Bodyguard and The Lucky Stars series.

Advertisement