Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Films - Please Recommend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

jackdaw wrote:
    anyone recommend good Japanese films that aren't ASIA EXTREME ?
    Akira? oh wait..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

jackdaw wrote:

Not sure did you mean to reply to Hagakure_irl's post, but Last Life In The Universe isn't on the Asia Extreme label.

Anyway, there was a few Japanese films mentioned already in this thread. I'd second recommendations of Takeshi Kitano's films; Kikujiro, Hana-Bi, Dolls, and so forth. He's an incredibly film-maker. Also try Yoji Yamada's Twilight Samurai and The Hidden Blade.

I can't recommend highly enough that you see the films of Akira Kurosawa, if you've not already. You might also want to check out the films of Shunji Iwai, and if you're into animated films, you probably cannot get better than Hayao Miyazaki's films.

There's a hell of a lot of Japanese films, so if you want a more specific recommendation, then you'd be best of telling us what sort of films you're mainly into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

In The Mood For Love
    Chungking Express
    Princess Mononoke
    The Seventh Seal
    Le Samourai
    The Battle of Algiers
    Spoorloos (The Vanishing)
    Der Untergang (Downfall)
    Idi I Smotri (Come and See)
    Taegukgi (Brotherhood)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Tampopo - honestly, it's the most overlooked Asian movie.

Also, The Waterboys, if you're looking for a light-hearted comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

jackdaw wrote:

Korea has some of the best movies ive ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

as pretty much all my favourites have been mentioned by one person or another, i'll just throw my 2cents in regarding brick. i thought it was terrible! puts me in the minority here it would seem...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jackdaw wrote:

My Neighbour Totoro
    A film so beautifully innocent it takes away from the extreme natures of others.
    But those Tartan films contain many of the finest Asian films of recent years. I have to second Chunking Express (not extreme at all) too - excellent film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

some good ones in ugc at the moment - all french --

tell no one
    la vie en rose
    moliere...

also indigenes or days of glory (in english) is class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

The man without a past, quirky Finnish movie with a Black sense of humour

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311519/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

oh another one...isnt really foreign but it might as well be - anything by david lynch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

'The lives of others' was very impressive

original title in German: Das Leben der Anderen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Yeah it was very good alright, its probably not out on dvd yet though. If you liked that you should watch coppollo's The Conversation with Gene Hackman, one of my favourite films ever.

One that im not sure wheter its been mentioned that got rereleased this/last year is I am Cuba - masterpiece in film making. http://imdb.com/title/tt0058604/

If you're not put off by slow films (watch kitano's hana bi (previously recommended) to see!) then spring, summer, autumn, winter... and spring is well worth a look. http://imdb.com/title/tt0374546/

if you like the asian stuff also check out Public Enemy (decent twist on the dirty harryesque vigilate cop) http://imdb.com/title/tt0306909/
    and especially memoirs of a murder http://imdb.com/title/tt0353969/ by the same guy that did the host - Joon-ho Bong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

1huge1 wrote:

Agreed!! Das Leben der Anderen was excellent I thought, really loved the movie, the soundtrack and the main character Wiesler, he played some part!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

calex71 wrote:
    Korea has some of the best movies ive ever seen

no they dont, name atleast 10. Theyre full of their pop bull block buster girl/boy love releases. they have an odd good one

anyway brick is awful i thought.
    as mentioned before,
    Delicatessen
    City of God
    The whole mr venegence/oldboy/miss vengence series
    Casshern [maybe]

for japenese/chinese/korean , i apparently have two threads asking the same :s
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=277320&referrerid=&highlight=japenese

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054904841&highlight=japenese

Placebo wrote:
    no they dont, name atleast 10. Theyre full of their pop bull block buster girl/boy love releases. they have an odd good one

That's a ridiculous statement, the poster is saying that Korea has some of the best movies he's ever seen.

Certainly, Korean films aren't above fault, and there's been quite a few formulaic horror films churned out by their movie industry, but on the whole, I'd have to agree that some of the best movies from recent years have come from Korea, and I'll name more than just 10. ;)

(Some of these are fairly obvious ones, so bear with me)
    Oldboy
    Lady Vengeance
    Sympathy For Mr Vengeance
    Joint Security Area
    The Host
    Memories Of Murder
    Save The Green Planet
    A Tale Of Two Sisters
    Brotherhood
    Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring (That's 10 there)
    3-Iron
    A Bittersweet Life
    Crying Fist
    The Quiet Family
    Welcome To Dongmakgol
    Public Enemy
    Chihwaseon
    Failan
    The Isle
    The Warrior

I'm sure there's loads there I'm missing, but never mind.

personally i think theve released more junk than masterpieces recently. I mean sure you can call 3-Iron a master piece but i found it ridiculously boring, il probably say the same for S,S,A,W,S. From my personal experience everytime i read up on http://www.koreanfilm.org, anything the cinema recently has to offer is bland, i mean i certainly did not like the Host. If that was an english film it would have been classes as rubbish.
    in contrast movies associated with japan seem to be a bit more attractive. Obviously there are the select few korean ones that are great but i just meant in general theres heaps on crap that i sat through recently :/

Placebo wrote:
    personally i think theve released more junk than masterpieces recently. I mean sure you can call 3-Iron a master piece but i found it ridiculously boring, il probably say the same for S,S,A,W,S. From my personal experience everytime i read up on http://www.koreanfilm.org, anything the cinema recently has to offer is bland, i mean i certainly did not like the Host. If that was an english film it would have been classes as rubbish.
    in contrast movies associated with japan seem to be a bit more attractive. Obviously there are the select few korean ones that are great but i just meant in general theres heaps on crap that i sat through recently :/

I was with you up untill this part:
    Placebo wrote:
    If that was an english film it would have been classes as rubbish.

You thought 3-Iron and SSAWS were boring? Fair enough, I'd hardly say they were films for everyone, and if you didn't enjoy them, then fair enough. Same goes for The Host. But this absolute rubbish about "If it were in english..." really grinds my gears. Face it, we never hear anyone saying "Oh, you only liked Hot Fuzz because it was English" and with good reason, because it's a ****ing ridiculous thing to say.

i just dont know why people particularly like the host tbh. I just feel that some people like it for the sole reason of it being a foreign film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I don't think these have been posted so

Nói albinói
    ¡Vampiros en La Habana!
    Mr Vampire
    Sophie's World
    Metropolis
    Münchhausen (the 1943 version made in Germany)
    The Butterfly Murders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Placebo wrote:
    i just dont know why people particularly like the host tbh. I just feel that some people like it for the sole reason of it being a foreign film.

I just thought it was an incredibly enjoyable creature flick- the best i've ever seen personally. Granted its not a cinematic art-house masterpiece but for an enjoyable horror/comedy it certainly does the job. That being said you're well intitled to your viewpoint and i can't argue with you on that.

Regarding SSAWS any slow moving film could be consider boring, i mainly enjoyed it as i A) loved the cinematography
    and B) was in the mood for a slow relaxing film (not all escapisms
    have to be high octane affairs- take minamilist music as an
    example- not everybody's cup of tea but surely others
    should be able to appreciate that)

I'd agree with you to an extent with the notion that some (most likely very few and i'm not talking about you Karl!) do often like films just because they're foreign however the subtelty found in most foreign films is more than often exempt in Hollywood films and many viewers find that appealing. However the difference in style certainly shouldn't wholly comensate for any lack of substance.

Anyway in regarding to Korean cinema, in fairness for such a small country Korea has certainly created many noteworthy films (possibly most of those from asia in recent years) so they should certainly be commended for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

1huge1 wrote:

I thought this was a brilliant film! Definitely one I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

For what its worth:

'A Short Film about Killing'

'Babette's Feast'

'Diva'

'Pele The Conquerer'

'Betty Blue'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Attack the Gas Station is a GREAT Korean comedy if you ever find it. I HIGHLY recommend it (to Karl in particular, if he hasn't seen it). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0262246/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

"La Vita E Bella" it's my favourite
    There's also another one... a french one about this competition that these really wealthy guys have to bring to a party the stupidest guy they can... anyone know what its called? (just googled it and got "Dîner de cons" which I know it is)
    Oh and I saw "Dragon Tiger Gate" recently enough. It's one of them Chinese movies but instead of good vs evil, it's evil vs eviler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

jackdaw wrote:

I'm a huge Shunji Iwai fan, already mentioned by Karl-Hungus.
    my favourite movies are,

All about lily chu chu
    Hana and Alice

also check out
    Ima Ai ni Yukimasu
    Cha no Aji
    and maybe.. Sekai no chuchin de ai wo sakebu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Placebo wrote:

anyway brick is awful i thought.
    as mentioned before,
    Delicatessen
    City of God
    The whole mr venegence/oldboy/miss vengence series

"The whole mr venegence/oldboy/miss vengence series"

some of the finest KOREA has to offer lol ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

All about lily chu chu
    Hana and Alice

absolutely ****ing fantastic movies.

Survive style 5 is another great japanese movie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wang-ui namja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

is_that_so wrote:
    El Espíritu de la colmena( Spirit of the Beehive)
    You can catch this suggestion of mine on BBC4 tomorrow night @11.30.

Advertisement