Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Films - Please Recommend

Options
  • 19-07-2007 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

Was wondering if anyone could recommend some good foreign films for me...
    My favourite foreign movies are Funny Games, Run Lola Run, Pan's Labrynth, Goodbye Lenin and Rashamon.
    I'm also about to watch Brotherhood Of The Wolf and The Edukators, so I'm looking for some other films besides those.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rudie-

you should watch amile, and seven samuri if you havent yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I can recommend 3, 2 of which are cliché, but still great. Those two are Amelie, and Cinema Paradise. The third I watched recently is a Polish film called "Edi" or Eddie. A great story, and perfectly told.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was about to recommend Brotherhood of the Wolf.
    Why not try Ridicule, Belleville Rendevouz (sometimes called The Triplets of Belleville), OldBoy, Ichi the Killer, Audition, the Killers, Nikita, The Bear and Quest For Fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

City of God is a brilliant movie if you haven't seen it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭MrBaseball

Sonatine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭rahim

'Brick' is absolutely amazing in my opinion.
    Also agree with the 'Ichi the Killer' (extreme but a good film) and 'Oldboy' (same but great) recomendations. If you like Oldboy, try 'Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance' and the third in that trilogy 'Lady Vengeance'. Very good films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Brick = English. Still worth many watches though.
    Anyway here are some of the best:

Sympathy for Mr Vengance (over Oldboy IMO) - extremely well filmed slice of 'Asia Extreme'. Wonderful stuff.
    Caché (Hidden) - from the director of Funny Games. Distrubing.
    Audition - see film of the week a few weeks ago
    Hani Bi, Kikujiro, Dolls - all from Takeshi Kitano, one of my new favourite directors
    Studio Ghibli films, if you havent already. Best animé around.
    Save the Green Planet - utterly loopers.
    Together - quirky Swedish drama. Good if you like the works of Wes Anderson etc...
    The Devil's Backbone - Del Toro's first fantasy Spanish Civil War flick. As good as Pan's.
    Paris je taime - Not sure if this is still in the cinema, but a great collection of short films. Terrific entry from Tom Tyker (dir. of Run Lola Run)
    Y Tu Mama Tambien - I loved this film. Fairly explicit but wonderful road movie from the excellent Alfonso Cauron.

And some classics: the 400 Blows, The Seventh Seal, Ran, The Seven Samurai (the latter two from Kurosawa - should like these if you watched Rashomon. Actually, must get around to watching that. w00t to public domain!)

Brick = English. Still worth many watches though.

'Brick' is an Indie American film as far as I'm aware. That's foreign to me and judging by the Location of the OP it is to him too.
    Also, I'm aware that by foreign the OP probably meant films not from Hollywood as we know it. I think 'Brick' deserves a mention under these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thanks everyone. This is exactly the response I was hoping for. I'm gonna check out most of those films asap.

Brick isn't a foreign film. It's a great film though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

rahim wrote:
    'Brick' is an Indie American film as far as I'm aware. That's foreign to me and judging by the Location of the OP it is to him too.
    Also, I'm aware that by foreign the OP probably meant films not from Hollywood as we know it. I think 'Brick' deserves a mention under these circumstances.

Ok, I'll accept that definition. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

The Devil's Backbone - Del Toro's first fantasy Spanish Civil War flick. As good as Pan's.

Oh nice, I definitely must check this one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Man eating cow

Battle Royale...

excellent movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Schtonk

HIGHLY recommended. A german movie based on the hitler diaries. I love that movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

Brat (Brother) Russian Criminal Film
    9 Rota (9th Platoon) Recent Russian Film on the Afghan Conflict
    Kolya -Film about a Russian Boy growing up in Czech Rep with his father....as far as I know there is a Czech,Russian and Irish versiion but the Czech is considered the best
    All quiet on the Western Front- Its in German as far as I can remember...very poignant war film
    ****ing Åmål - Swedish film about two girls growing in small town and them messing around with lesbianism
    Voyna(war) Russian film, bit dramatic but showing how Chechnyan war was/is
    Prisoner of the Caucauses(Cavcasnya Plenik) Russian film about the relationship between a captured Russian soldier and his chechen captor

I'm pretty sure all these films can be found at imdb.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

rahim wrote:

I suppose one can look at it this way, but I usually consider foreign as non-American. That's just me.
    But anyway... check out Brick - it's great no matter the language :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Crazy

When people say 'foreign' I assume they mean foreign language. Otherwise practically every film worth seeing is foreign (other than the handfull of good irish films).

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Last life in the Universe. Or Ruang rak noi nid mahasan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A few more.
    Nóz w wodzie(Knife in the Water) Original version of Dead Calm, Polanski film.
    The Tin Drum
    El Espíritu de la colmena( Spirit of the Beehive)
    Also if you can get your hands on the Spanish mini-series of El Quijote de Miguel de Cervantes with Fernando Rey. A lot of fun.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Some great films being suggested already, so I'll just throw in Das Experiment, which is from the same director as The Downfall. Definetly worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Abre los Ojos
    Das Boot
    Nightwatch
    Juhong geulshi / The Scarlet Letter
    Letters from Iwo Jima (Hollywood, but a foreign language)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm surprised the Three Colours (Blue, White, Red) trilogy hasn't been mentioned yet. Excellent films.

I haven't seen it yet, but I hear Tsotsi is very good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

been mentioned already but ill throw me weight behind "la haine" and "city of god" also 2 of my all time favorites. Irreversible was a great french movie (great maybe the wrong word considering the subject matter - not a happy movie at all) very well acted.

Someone else mentioned "nightwatch" excellcent special effects, i enjoyed the sequal more though.

Also i really liked the "death note" movies based on the anime series.

Others that come to mind ..... amores perros, anatomie, antibodies, the ordeal, battle in heaven, oh and i have to mention the infernal affairs trilogy much better than the departed (which was the american remake of it)
    bittersweet life , tale of two sisters.

I started looking at my dvd collection as i'm typing so this could go on all day but has made me realise how many movies i want to watch again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Personal favourites of mine would be:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Il Postino
    Once Were Warriors
    Audition
    Run Lola Run
    Amelie
    Goodbye Lenin
    Jean de Florette
    Manon des Sources
    Battle Royale
    Pan's Labyrinth
    The Devil's Backbone
    Life Is Beautiful
    Hard Boiled
    Das Boot
    Y Tu Mama Tambien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Le Salarie de la Peur (I don't speak French, apologiesif that is totally wrong.) Better known as the Wages of Fear. Some seriously intense tension contained within.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Together is a brilliant film!

Check out The Green Butchers

*strongly disagrees* Of course this debate has been had before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Last life in the Universe. Or Ruang rak noi nid mahasan :)
    anyone recommend good Japanese films that aren't ASIA EXTREME ?

Advertisement