Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick 2030 Economic Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Stab*City wrote: »
    You dont think Roxboro roundabout works well?
    You dont think most people would hack off their right arm for an M&S in Limerick?
    You think the Marina is a success?

No just these ones:

Do these fuc**in people realize most of Limerick dont:

1 Have any culture - I think we have a great sense of culture
    2 Own Boats - I dont but would like to have one
    3 Go to college - I did attend college like many other Limerick people
    4 Give a **** about rugby - Do you even live in Limerick??
    5 Have a job - Yes I do have a job, as do a lot of other people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Mc Love wrote: »
    No just these ones:

Do these fuc**in people realize most of Limerick dont:

1 Have any culture - I think we have a great sense of culture
    2 Own Boats - I dont but would like to have one
    3 Go to college - I did attend college like many other Limerick people
    4 Give a **** about rugby - Do you even live in Limerick??
    5 Have a job - Yes I do have a job, as do a lot of other people

1. Ok I'll concede this one as yes we all have plenty of culture but not all the same as what the council ram down our throats.
    2. I don't own a racecar but sher let's build a racetrack.
    3. You did attend college but the majority of us didn't.
    4. Yes I do live here and I've actually attended quiet a few Rugby matches but come on European City of Sport and all the other self praise is not going to get the city out of trouble even if it's worth 10 million each time there is a match.
    5. And I'm sure you have plenty spare cash to spend in the new shopping district. How do you find our fashion district as a success? I'm sure you love Eve's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

1. Ok I'll concede this one as yes we all have plenty of culture but not all the same as what the council ram down our throats.
    2. I don't own a racecar but sher let's build a racetrack.
    3. You did attend college but the majority of us didn't.
    4. Yes I do live here and I've actually attended quiet a few Rugby matches but come on European City of Sport and all the other self praise is not going to get the city out of trouble even if it's worth 10 million each time there is a match.
    5. And I'm sure you have plenty spare cash to spend in the new shopping district. How do you find our fashion district as a success? I'm sure you love Eve's.

I do love Eve's - picked up a nice frock there recently :D

Mc Love wrote: »
    I do love Eve's - picked up a nice frock there recently :D

Maybe a new approach is needed is all I'm saying really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Maybe a new approach is needed is all I'm saying really.

But that is dangerous thinking my friend, you know people don't do the whole reality thing well here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

For the record here are some concept drawings of that original Arthur's Quay redevelopment plan from a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Is shopping the only thing that will save Limerick City?

Batman or a Monorail might do the job as well. :)

But to answer your question, retail is not the only thing that can help to drive Limerick city forward, but it is, imho, one of a number of things that need to be vastly improved in order to make Limerick city an attractive destination.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Batman or a Monorail might do the job as well. :)

But to answer your question, retail is not the only thing that can help to drive Limerick city forward, but it is, imho, one of a number of things that need to be vastly improved in order to make Limerick city an attractive destination.

Can we not attract them with something else? That castle is crying out to be used for events.. As is the river. There is already a solid pub/restaurant trade. Seems to me the only things that actually make people want to go into town are special events so why dont we have more? Never in the last 10 years have i thought to myself 'I must go into town shopping'. Lets use it for something else.. Knock half it and build Europes largest INDOOR theme park!

http://www.puydufou.com/en?season=summer

We need something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

I see your indoor theme park and raise you this

http://www.tropical-islands.de/en/attractions/

Europe's largest indoor beach. It's enormous and with Ireland's weather it would be a guaranteed success.
    Tropical_island.jpg

On a related note, Shannon Development were looking to develop a large tract of land beside Bunratty Castle recently and I have been told by someone involved that they have decided to build a big water park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

pigtown wrote: »
    On a related note, Shannon Development were looking to develop a large tract of land beside Bunratty Castle recently and I have been told by someone involved that they have decided to build a big water park there.
    Thankfully Shannon Developement are gone, unless you mean the deadbeats in Shannon Heritage?

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    I see your indoor theme park and raise you this

http://www.tropical-islands.de/en/attractions/

Europe's largest indoor beach. It's enormous and with Ireland's weather it would be a guaranteed success.
    Tropical_island.jpg

Wow you took the thoughts right outta my head! That place looks class.. Ya something indoor like that would be a huge success in this country. If you build it they will come.. I bet that place is worth 10 million a day to the local economy. The amount of money these purpose built parks turn over in one day is crazy. I know its a long shot but why not something huge and let us be the only ones who have it. They would have to visit then! M&S aint gonna get the tourists here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

jbkenn wrote: »
    Thankfully Shannon Developement are gone, unless you mean the deadbeats in Shannon Heritage?

It was at the end of last year he was working on it. Don't know what the company was called then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Can we not attract them with something else? That castle is crying out to be used for events.. As is the river. There is already a solid pub/restaurant trade. Seems to me the only things that actually make people want to go into town are special events so why dont we have more? Never in the last 10 years have i thought to myself 'I must go into town shopping'. Lets use it for something else.. Knock half it and build Europes largest INDOOR theme park!

http://www.puydufou.com/en?season=summer

We need something different.

And why only have one thing to attract folks?

Seems to me that a city with great retail to offer ( Limerick is awful on that front at present, simply awful by city standards), great entertainment to offer, great cultural attractions to offer, great amenities build on great natural attractions etc would have people coming to Limerick for one reason and staying because of others.

It would also be a city that would attract a greater population in to want to live in the city itself.

And you are not wrong that special events are what seem to make larger crowds come into the city centre at present, but part of that is down to Limerick being pretty poor in terms of amenities and attractions outside of special events

Limerick needs a lot more than just improved retail to bring in people in large numbers outside of events, but Limerick does need improved retail if it wants a retail sector resembling that of a city rather than what we currently have which is a retail sector of a large town.

Also a healthly and vibrant retail sector would bring in something else that Limerick is badly lacking in, and that is another source of unskilled jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Kess73 wrote: »
    And why only have one thing to attract folks?

Limerick does need improved retail if it wants a retail sector resembling that of a city rather than what we currently have which is a retail sector of a large town.

Very true words but I always felt that Limerick people never pushed Limerick as a small City (which it is).
    Case in point on Boards when it was decided to amalgamate the County and City threads due to inactivity on the County thread. So what?

When the Local Authorities decided to merge, there was a big debate in some areas about car registrations post 2014 - "L" or "LK". There is no GY or CK, only G or C. Michael Noonan thankfully ended that one quickly by simply stating "L".

And don't get me started on this "LK" bullSh1t that some people refer to Limerick in social media circles.

Kilkenny & Sligo push themselves as "Cities" at every possibility, which they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

And don't get me started on this "LK" bullSh1t that some people refer to Limerick in social media circles.

Sometimes (especially on twitter) there's only a certain number of characters that can be used so often "Limerick" doesn't fit.

The Limerick HMV on twitter is the same. They can't fit "HMV Limerick Crescent" as their name so instead of just "HMV Limerick" they incorrectly spell it "Cresent". :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Surprised this has been missed but what the city really needs is high standard large office space to attract companies into the city. Imagine the benefit a Northern Trust in the city center would be, 300-500 people working in the city, buying power at lunch time let the snow ball effect begin

Very true words but I always felt that Limerick people never pushed Limerick as a small City (which it is).
    Case in point on Boards when it was decided to amalgamate the County and City threads due to inactivity on the County thread. So what?

When the Local Authorities decided to merge, there was a big debate in some areas about car registrations post 2014 - "L" or "LK". There is no GY or CK, only G or C. Michael Noonan thankfully ended that one quickly by simply stating "L".

Kilkenny & Sligo push themselves as "Cities" at every possibility, which they're not.

Spot on! A fair amount of Limerick folk are just inherently negative about the city. It's almost as if they've been brow beaten by the raft of adverse publicity and headlines the city received until quite recently in to actually believing that it's a total hell hole!

I was in Galway recently and every taxi driver I encountered without fail couldn't wait to tell us what a fantastic place it was and how much was going on there, how many students it had etc (I told him Limerick actually had more!:D). It says a lot that I was quite taken a back by this approach considering what you experience in the average Limerick taxi; rampant cynicism and negativity!

Limerick has a lot going for it. Much more than almost every other urban area in the country and with the potential to be so much better still!

We also need to keep challenging the myths that are still peddled by ignorant individuals, many of whom have never set foot in the city!:rolleyes:

I really do get a sense though that the tide is finally turning. It took us long enough to realise that we had to get off our arses and help ourselves. A concerted effort to revive the city centre is essential as a vibrant, functional core is imperative for any sustainable, liveable city. I'm looking forward to seeing the evolving process what will hopefully result in the physical revitalisation of the city centre over the coming years.

No doubt a lot of people will scoff but it's not a pipe dream. Cork city was in a terrible state just 20 years ago. It had been devastated by a succession of massive job losses in established industries and the city centre was suffering massively. They managed to halt the decline, plan and execute a targeted renewal of the city centre which ultimately attracted new business and subsequently customers in.

It can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

kilburn wrote: »
    Surprised this has been missed but what the city really needs is high standard large office space to attract companies into the city. Imagine the benefit a Northern Trust in the city center would be, 300-500 people working in the city, buying power at lunch time let the snow ball effect begin

I've been saying this for years, we've lost so many office staff from the city. It would be great to see that kind of footfall being in the city on a daily basis especially Mon - Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

phog wrote: »
    I've been saying this for years, we've lost so many office staff from the city. It would be great to see that kind of footfall being in the city on a daily basis especially Mon - Fri.

I think they're trying to rectify that situation, I always thought there was actually too much office space in Limerick.. Apparently not!

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/planning/limerick-city-hall-in-talks-on-40m-nama-site-1-5643886

I think they're trying to rectify that situation, I always thought there was actually too much office space in Limerick.. Apparently not!

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/planning/limerick-city-hall-in-talks-on-40m-nama-site-1-5643886

It's not office space that's required it's staff. Maybe, new office space might attract a big call centre but other than that I'm sure there's oceans of office space available within the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's not office space that's required it's staff. Maybe, new office space might attract a big call centre but other than that I'm sure there's oceans of office space available within the city.

Can't think of anywhere in the city centre that could accomodate a company of 100+ staff ...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Finton90

Vanquished wrote: »
    Spot on! A fair amount of Limerick folk are just inherently negative about the city. It's almost as if they've been brow beaten by the raft of adverse publicity and headlines the city received until quite recently in to actually believing that it's a total hell hole!

I was in Galway recently and every taxi driver I encountered without fail couldn't wait to tell us what a fantastic place it was and how much was going on there, how many students it had etc (I told him Limerick actually had more!:D). It says a lot that I was quite taken a back by this approach considering what you experience in the average Limerick taxi; rampant cynicism and negativity!

Limerick has a lot going for it. Much more than almost every other urban area in the country and with the potential to be so much better still!

We also need to keep challenging the myths that are still peddled by ignorant individuals, many of whom have never set foot in the city!:rolleyes:

I really do get a sense though that the tide is finally turning. It took us long enough to realise that we had to get off our arses and help ourselves. A concerted effort to revive the city centre is essential as a vibrant, functional core is imperative for any sustainable, liveable city. I'm looking forward to seeing the evolving process what will hopefully result in the physical revitalisation of the city centre over the coming years.

No doubt a lot of people will scoff but it's not a pipe dream. Cork city was in a terrible state just 20 years ago. It had been devastated by a succession of massive job losses in established industries and the city centre was suffering massively. They managed to halt the decline, plan and execute a targeted renewal of the city centre which ultimately attracted new business and subsequently customers in.

It can be done!

Completely agree we sell ourselves short. In Galway shop street and eyre square are nice but the rest of the place is one of the worst examples of urban planning in western Europe and yeah i can remember when Cork was in a bad state they have done a fantastic job regenerating the city centre something similar is whats needed in Limerick.

People might laugh and have done when I say it both i always maintain that a completely regenerated Limerick with retail and life back in the city centre would be the finest city or town in the country.It has the features it just needs a good cleaning

zulutango wrote: »
    Can't think of anywhere in the city centre that could accomodate a company of 100+ staff ...

I wasn't really talking about housing everyone in one building.

I was thinking of using places like the upstairs of Bank House it used to house Nedata and RTE.
    Estuary House or has the gardai all of that taken over.
    The old county library and the old city hall. Is all of the renovated old county council offices taken over.
    The old ESB offices on Lr Cecil St.
    The Aviva offices and old Bord na gCon offices on Henry St.

I wasn't really talking about housing everyone in one building.

I was thinking of using places like the upstairs of Bank House it used to house Nedata and RTE.
    Estuary House or has the gardai all of that taken over.
    The old county library and the old city hall. Is all of the renovated old county council offices taken over.
    The old ESB offices on Lr Cecil St.
    The Aviva offices and old Bord na gCon offices on Henry St.

Many businesses require modern, next generation, open plan accommodation across large floorplates.

None of the above fit the bill in that regard.

The hanging gardens development on Henry Street when completed would meet those specifications. The large building on the corner of Thomas Street/Catherine should be adaptable too.

Northern Trust moved in to that white elephant out at the edge of town on the Ballysimon road. This is exactly the type of business that we should be trying to attract in to the city centre instead of a bleak, soulless, isolated field out in the suburbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

Many businesses require modern, next generation, open plan accommodation across large floorplates.

None of the above fit the bill in that regard.

The hanging gardens development on Henry Street when completed would meet those specifications. The large building on the corner of Thomas Street/Catherine should be adaptable too.

Northern Trust moved in to that white elephant out at the edge of town on the Ballysimon road. This is exactly the type of business that we should be trying to attract in to the city centre instead of a bleak, soulless, isolated field out in the suburbs!
    I agree with you-great that they're in Limerick but those 200 people would contribute so much if they were in the city centre-they'd probably head out for drinks on a Friday.I'd say alot of them don't bother when they're in Castletroy.We should be targetting the Statestreets, Citi, Hedgeserv etc to get them to locate in Limerick.Statestreet are in Kilkenny,BNY Mellon are in Wexford-no reason why they shouldn't be locating here in the city centre
    Modern Office space is an issue-hopefully the hanging gardens site can be completed & maybe if some commercial office space could be built where Dawn Dairies used to be or Dock Road.There does seem to be a plan to build office space near the Granary.
    There does seem to be a lot more positive vibes about the city recently-the city of culture, the new years party etc.I'd love to see a start made on the site around where the Old Dunnes is.It looks so glum.Where will they move the people in the tax office-the plan is to knock Estuary House
    isn't it?

This is exactly the type of business that we should be trying to attract in to the city centre instead of a bleak, soulless, isolated field out in the suburbs!

The city centre though at the moment is bleaker and more soulless than anywhere in the suburbs. So why would any company in their right mind be the first to take the plunge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The city centre though at the moment is bleaker and more soulless than anywhere in the suburbs. So why would any company in their right mind be the first to take the plunge.

I highly doubt any company will take into account how "bleak or soulless" the city center may or may not be. If there was city center office space that met their needs at the right price companies would locate there.

I highly doubt any company will take into account how "bleak or soulless" the city center may or may not be. If there was city center office space that met their needs at the right price companies would locate there.

So obviously there isnt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So obviously there isnt.

Obviously there isn't what? I'm aware that there isn't enough office space currently there, but if there was and it met the needs of a company then they wouldn't care how "bleak or soulless" a place is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I would be slow to call critics of any place ignorant or ill informed.Obviously there is an element of that but sometimes criticism of a place can be constructive and it should be taken on board.How can we improve Limerick or any other urban area in this country if we are blind to or refuse to acknowledge it's faults?

Advertisement