Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

smash wrote: »
    It's very very easy to spot this kind of crap. I'm surprised you're even admitting to contemplating the offer.

It seemed normal until a little into the conversation. Then I kind of played along to see where it went.

Point I'd that donedeal at least for me is full of dodgey people whereas I feel totally fine on adverts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

MarkY91 wrote: »
    It seemed normal until a little into the conversation. Then I kind of played along to see where it went.

Point I'd that donedeal at least for me is full of dodgey people whereas I feel totally fine on adverts

I did the same, got loads of fake paypal emails, loads of "where's my item emails" etc. Like anyone in Nigeria is seriously looking for MY phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

- Item for sale €500
    - Offer €450
    - Offer accepted.
    - Offer withdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Sky King wrote: »
    - Item for sale €500
    - Offer €450
    - Offer accepted.
    - Offer withdrawn

I don't really get your point. You get the same messing around anywhere, be it DoneDeal or buyandsell (lol), the only difference is it's public on Adverts.

I don't really get your point. You get the same messing around anywhere, be it DoneDeal or buyandsell (lol), the only difference is it's public on Adverts.

Yes except with adverts now everyone knows what you'll accept which is annoying. You can't ask for €500 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I'm pretty sure if you accept an offer and then cancel it that post disappears and the amount you accepted isn't public any more, but I could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

If someone says to you 'will you ship to me outside of Ireland and I'll pay it by paypal' its like, 99% certain its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭husq

still for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I like it.

I like that you can get the haggling and nonsense out of the way beforehand and that there is transparency regarding the persons history etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Not really. On done deal you're not going to remove an ad unless you've sold the item. Anyone who looks at it wont know if there's been interest or not and so can make up their own mind upon inspection.

The ability to withdraw an offer on adverts places doubt in the minds of other potential bidders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

€999 OFFERED
    I don't have now but I give you cs go skins

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Korvanica wrote: »
    LOL

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that.

Same guy also offered another person the swap of an old sofa for a Gaming PC priced at over 1k.

He also asked a load of people to swap their laptop for his old broken one which needs repairs.

I remember one of the big sellers on adverts was offered a ridiculous swap for his high-end gaming PC, your classic 'swap my ads' - an old xbox, battered laptop, 10 year old PC, tin of baked bins, etc.

Gets turned down and takes it extremely personally, posting messages all over the guy ad like 'THIS IS AN OVERPRICED HEAP OF SCRAP'.

In the end he ended up threatening to kill the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

He was just haggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The thing is, you can get decent swap deals on adverts if you're realistic. I swapped my iMac for a gaming PC a few years back because I just couldn't get on with the move from Windows to Mac. It was a good deal that suited both of us.

That said, I've an Nvidia Shield Tablet with all the trimmings up for swap on adverts at the moment and have only been offered trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Korvanica wrote: »
    LOL
    I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that.

Same guy also offered another person the swap of an old sofa for a Gaming PC priced at over 1k.

He also asked a load of people to swap their laptop for his old broken one which needs repairs.

I remember one of the big sellers on adverts was offered a ridiculous swap for his high-end gaming PC, your classic 'swap my ads' - an old xbox, battered laptop, 10 year old PC, tin of baked bins, etc.

Gets turned down and takes it extremely personally, posting messages all over the guy ad like 'THIS IS AN OVERPRICED HEAP OF SCRAP'.

Link lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I sold a mobile phone on adverts.ie last week, my first time using the service, phone sold in less than 24 hours without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

Put a bookcase up for free

Lad asked me the size

80x200x30cm so nearly 7ft tall

He arrived and picked it up in a micra

Was happy as Larry with it sticking out the back

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

husq wrote: »
    still for sale

Is this still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

My only problem with Adverts are the tyre-kickers and the amount of overpriced tat in some sections. However, it's 100% better than Done Deal and it's a safe place to trade as the feedback system allows you to avoid 'most' of the oddballs and con artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

husq wrote: »
    still for sale
    Is this still available?

That is mostly me, but how else are you meant to find out if something is still for sale? With the amount of ads that are not marked as sold even when they have been I need to use this more than ever!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

dudara wrote: »
    I often have lots of presentation boxes from whiskey, rum, champagne etc. I'm talking about the really nice display boxes or tins that the bottles come in. In the past, I've put them up for free, to take away, and they're usually gone quickly. No messing ever.

Recently I put up an ad for a Moët Vintage 2006 display box. I marked it very clearly as such, with text in the title and body. Mentioned box only, bottle not included. The amount of people who thought I was giving away a free bottle of champagne, and tried to rip the hand off me? The mind boggles

That bottle still going?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

Years ago somebody gave me a bad rating entirely because I gave them a bad rating (they didn't show up and just wasted my time). I contacted Adverts and they obviously looked at my record, saw it was genuine and removed that negative rating. (I suspect they also can read the email PM exchanges and could see he was in the wrong). That sort of judgement call was appreciated.

You've been lucky so. Around 2009 or so I had the same issue. Left a negative feedback to someone who was dick1ing me around for a week. He obviously left a negative feedback to me. Contacted adverts straight away, instead of removing this negative from my account a mod was just acting like Matt Flanders from the Simpsons, giving his hippie okaley dokaley deedly doodley type of responses basically forcing me and the time waster to change our negative feedbacks from negative to neutral. That user was gone off adverts a few months later, perhaps that eejit mod too, but my account still holds that neutral feedback. :mad:

wally79 wrote: »
    Put a bookcase up for free

Lad asked me the size

80x200x30cm so nearly 7ft tall

He arrived and picked it up in a micra

Was happy as Larry with it sticking out the back

Did you expect him to buy a van for that matter?

I've often collected unfit items in my convertible since it's the only car I have, roof down if doesn't fit in boot and of I go.

eeguy wrote: »
    I did the same, got loads of fake paypal emails, loads of "where's my item emails" etc. Like anyone in Nigeria is seriously looking for MY phone.

Yupp, and it seems their "Scam The European" manual is seriously outdated. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

pcardin wrote: »
    Did you expect him to buy a van for that matter?

I've often collected unfit items in my convertible since it's the only car I have, roof down if doesn't fit in boot and of I go.

Aren't you amazing. I expected if someone is collecting a large piece of furniture he wouldn't turn up in a micra.

I also half expected him to get pulled by the guards to be honest. But he got home alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

pcardin wrote: »
    . Contacted adverts straight away, instead of removing this negative from my account a mod was just acting like Matt Flanders from the Simpsons, giving his hippie okaley dokaley deedly doodley type of responses

You are lucky you did not get the one that acts like Ned !!:p

eamonnq wrote: »
    You are lucky you did not get the one that acts like Ned !!:p
    Yeah, whatever Flanders he is. Didn't want to offend Ned in case he's reading. :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eamonnq wrote: »
    That is mostly me, but how else are you meant to find out if something is still for sale? With the amount of ads that are not marked as sold even when they have been I need to use this more than ever!! :D

I've had it 2 minutes after replying to a comment on an ad where no offers were even made. Fair enough if the ad looks like it's sold or there is an accepted offer but on every other ad why not just ask your question or make an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Garzard

Sky King wrote: »
    - Item for sale €500
    - Offer €450
    - Offer accepted.
    - Offer withdrawn

I'm finding adverts.ie is notorious for these types. This happened today with someone offering €220 for an item I'm trying to sell on for €230, as well as offering to swap for a similar item as an alternative. Declined the swap offer but said I'd accept the €220. The guy withdrew saying it was too expensive.

Earlier on in the year someone else seemingly expressed interest by querying about the receipt and condition of the item which was specified in the advert. He never replied again when I let him know the details.

• Advertisement

Yeah.

The problem is that you can 'commit to buy' from a seller but without actually making any real commitment.

Advertisement