Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

19 division games. So all things being equal, there should be at least 4 occasions when the Mets hitters can have a field day. Is he taking Thole with him? As that would mean the pitcher only having to face 7 real hitters

mod9maple wrote: »
    I hope it's a big pitcher's park because, boy oh boy, did he give up a lot of homers in the Skydome.

New ballpark this year I think. No idea of dimensions and until they start playing, we won't know if balls will fly out.

Braves all in on having the oldest rotation in baseball as apparently in addition to 42 year old RA Dickey, they've now signed 43 year old Bartolo Colon.

I'm going to miss Bartolo as a Met. He was always entertaining to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I hear they're in on Bautista, the Mets. Where would they play him? He's willing to play RF, 1st and 3rd.

mod9maple wrote: »
    I hear they're in on Bautista, the Mets. Where would they play him? He's willing to play RF, 1st and 3rd.

I think the Mets showing interest in anyone at this stage is just for show. They usually just pick up the dregs after all the good players have signed elsewhere.

If they did get Batistuta, I reckon they'd play him at 1st or 3rd. Both Duda and Wright are vulnerable to injury and never last a season so having someone reliable in those positions would be great.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Braves all in on having the oldest rotation in baseball as apparently in addition to 42 year old RA Dickey, they've now signed 43 year old Bartolo Colon.

This week's gone from good to horrible to bizarre to even more depressing . I don't want to speculate on what's next

Toronto picked up that Cuban free agent Gurriel whose brother signed with Houston last year. They also got Kendry Morales from KC. Not a bad day's work!

Toronto picked up that Cuban free agent Gurriel whose brother signed with Houston last year. They also got Kendry Morales from KC. Not a bad day's work!

I'd love them to go after Reddick.

Howie Kendrick to the Phillies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Guess the Morales deal means that Encarnacion is not returning to Toronto.

Hadn't thought of that but yeah you're probably right.

Looks like the Mariners got Danny Valencia from the A's. Good get for them I think, they weren't far off this year. I think they need more pitching help though, King Felix had an off year. Still want to see that Mets/M's series in my lifetime (the one I missed in 2000 because...)

Igotadose wrote:
    Looks like the Mariners got Danny Valencia from the A's. Good get for them I think.

He's a good player. He had a spell in Toronto and impressed. He's one of those underrated guys that flies under the radar.

This deal was reported 2 days ago in the press but has yet to be officially confirmed.

Walker accepted the Mets QO, making him the 2d highest paid 2B in MLB. Cespedes officially turned down the QO.

If Walker's healthy, and hits like he did in the latter half of last season, that's fine. If he's unhealthy or not hitting like the 1st half, that's bad.

David Wright's been cleared to resume baseball activities. I'm torn on this - big Wright fan, but my brain says he's done and can't play at high level anymore. Was a defensive liability and didn't really hit anymore.

Reyes was o.k. as a replacement and performed better than I'd hoped, but his defense was shaky. IMO he's a shortstop whose lost a step or a backup 2b. Wilmer Flores hasn't proven himself as an elite 3b. Really need someone at 3rd that meets all the requirements - good defense, drives in runs. Some have suggested Wright just go out on the 60 day DL but I think he's too proud for that.

Unless the pitching comes back strong, also far from a given, 2017 looks unhappy so far.

Oh, the guy they traded for Cespedes is the AL ROY. Fulmer. We shall see long term how that works out.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Walker accepted the Mets QO, making him the 2d highest paid 2B in MLB. Cespedes officially turned down the QO.

If Walker's healthy, and hits like he did in the latter half of last season, that's fine. If he's unhealthy or not hitting like the 1st half, that's bad.

David Wright's been cleared to resume baseball activities. I'm torn on this - big Wright fan, but my brain says he's done and can't play at high level anymore. Was a defensive liability and didn't really hit anymore.

Reyes was o.k. as a replacement and performed better than I'd hoped, but his defense was shaky. IMO he's a shortstop whose lost a step or a backup 2b. Wilmer Flores hasn't proven himself as an elite 3b. Really need someone at 3rd that meets all the requirements - good defense, drives in runs. Some have suggested Wright just go out on the 60 day DL but I think he's too proud for that.

Unless the pitching comes back strong, also far from a given, 2017 looks unhappy so far.

Oh, the guy they traded for Cespedes is the AL ROY. Fulmer. We shall see long term how that works out.

We can't have any regrets over Fulmer. That was one of those deals that had to be made. Without it, the Mets wouldn't have got to the World Series. You have to give up pieces to get pieces so I don't think about what it would have been like if he was still a Met. In the longer term it will probably work out a hell of a lot better for Detroit than NYM but I wouldn't go back and not make the trade.

Speaking of Fulmer, just read today that he continues to work as a plumber during the off-season which i thought was pretty cool if a little bizarre.

On Walker, if he's fit all well and good but potentially you could have an Duda, Walker and Wright as the 1-2-3 basemen, none of whom I'm confident on being able to get past April without going on the long term DL.

As much as I like Wright, I'd love it if he retired and they gave him some made-up ambassador role or something. He's going to be a liability if he gets on the field next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Chapman - I want Chapman. If the Nationals can pull that off then I think we finally win a damn playoff game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Chapman - I want Chapman. If the Nationals can pull that off then I think we finally win a damn playoff game.

Nahhhh, hes coming back to the bronx :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Nahhhh, hes coming back to the bronx :P

If he just wants to get paid he might.

If he wants to win it's either the Cubs or the Nationals who can pay him and win.

• Advertisement

Officer Brain McCann's off to Houston.

Officer Brain McCann's off to Houston.

Got no 7 prospect RHP Albert Abreu and RHP Jorge Guzman in return

Any information on them???

Any information on them???

No idea. The Yankees are also paying $5.5m of the $17m left on the contract so I'd imagine they must be of some use.

No idea. The Yankees are also paying $5.5m of the $17m left on the contract so I'd imagine they must be of some use.

Just seen online that he can hit 99mph on the gun and has 4 pitches

Astros just signed Josh Reddick to a 4 year deal worth 50+ mill

Mike Trout wins AL MVP

Kris Bryant wins NL MVP

Brett Cecil is going to the Cardinals.

You've got to admire his commitment but surely Johan Santana needs to give it up at this stage.

I can't believe he's trying another comeback for the 2017 season. He's 38, has had multiple shoulder operations and hasn't managed to pitch without getting injured in about 3 years.

I can't believe he needs the money so I'd love to know what's driving him to get back.

D-Backs acquire SP Taijuan Walker, IF Ketel Marte from the Mariners for Jean Segura, OF Mitch Hangier and LHP Zac Curtis

D-Backs acquire SP Taijuan Walker, IF Ketel Marte from the Mariners for Jean Segura, OF Mitch Hangier and LHP Zac Curtis

Complete steal by the Mariners. Their infields now scary offensively and stingy defensively. Giving up on Walker's not so bad, not impressed by his game or consistency. Diamondbacks really are a farm team for the rest of the league it seems.

Mariner's have been a 'just miss the playoffs' team for awhile now, King Felix is still functional but can't have a ton of years left, I expect the M's to be in the playoffs this year. All good. Used to watch the M's when I lived outside Seattle, I imagine my M's fans back there are really happy this morning.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Complete steal by the Mariners. Their infields now scary offensively and stingy defensively. Giving up on Walker's not so bad, not impressed by his game or consistency. Diamondbacks really are a farm team for the rest of the league it seems.

Mariner's have been a 'just miss the playoffs' team for awhile now, King Felix is still functional but can't have a ton of years left, I expect the M's to be in the playoffs this year. All good. Used to watch the M's when I lived outside Seattle, I imagine my M's fans back there are really happy this morning.

Looks like a good trade. Though Walker has been incredibly inconsistent but when he has been good, he's been incredible. Will be interesting to see who he turns out. Marte was great when he came up during the 2015 season but was a disappointment last year.

And yeah their infield is looking good now, except for 1st base which is still a bit of an open question.

Advertisement