Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason Thread

Options
  • 01-11-2016 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

World Series coming to an end so might as well have the off season thread ready to go!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

And not a good start to the off season for the Mets. Might be losing Cespedes which isn't good but then I read this:

https://twitter.com/adamrubinespn/status/793529776279388161

First Jose, now Jeurys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Can't ever seem to get any good postseason news.

Ahh well, pitchers and catchers report in 107 days!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Angels to acquire OF Cameron Maybin from the Tigers.. And they'll pay his 9 mill option for 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Angels to acquire OF Cameron Maybin from the Tigers.. And they'll pay his 9 mill option for 2017

And it begins...

Matt Stairs is the new Phillies hitting coach.

Who's the biggest free agent on the market this off-season? I wonder where Encarnacion and Cespedes end up?

Not a great free-agent class tbh. There's a lot of familiar names but for me a few stand out. Bautista, Encarnacion and Cespedes yes but Chapman of the Cubs, Trumbo and Wieters of the Os and Beltran of the Rangers.

• Advertisement

Holliday of the Cards and Reddick of the Dodgers might be worth a punt.

Any idea on who might call it a day and retire? Pierzinski, Howard, Aaron Hill, Dickey maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

mod9maple wrote: »
    Holliday of the Cards and Reddick of the Dodgers might be worth a punt.

Any idea on who might call it a day and retire? Pierzinski, Howard, Aaron Hill, Dickey maybe?

If Dickey retires so will Josh Thole!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

American League

Angels (6): Andrew Bailey rhp, Jhoulys Chacin rhp, Tim Lincecum rhp, Geovany Soto c, Jered Weaver rhp, C.J. Wilson lhp

Astros (4): Jason Castro c, Doug Fister rhp, Colby Rasmus of, Luis Valbuena 3b

Athletics (2): Ross Detwiler lhp, Sam Fuld of

Blue Jays (9): Jose Bautista of, Joaquin Benoit rhp, Brett Cecil lhp, R.A. Dickey rhp, Edwin Encarnacion 1b/dh, Scott Feldman rhp, Gavin Floyd rhp, Dioner Navarro c, Michael Saunders of

Indians (3): Marlon Byrd of, Rajai Davis of, Mike Napoli 1b/dh

Mariners (4): Franklin Gutierrez of, Adam Lind 1b, Dae-ho Lee of, Drew Storen rhp

Orioles (9): Pedro Alvarez dh, Michael Bourn of, Brian Duensing lhp, Tommy Hunter rhp, Steve Pearce 1b, Nolan Reimold of, Drew Stubbs of, Mark Trumbo of/1b, Matt Wieters c

Rangers (5): Carlos Beltran of, Ian Desmond of/ss, Carlos Gomez of, Colby Lewis rhp, Mitch Moreland 1b

Rays (3): Kevin Jepsen rhp, Logan Morrison of/1b, Alexei Ramirez ss

Red Sox (4): Aaron Hill if, Junichi Tazawa rhp, Koji Uehara rhp, Brad Ziegler rhp

Royals (2): Drew Butera c, Peter Moylan rhp

Tigers (3): Erick Aybar ss, Casey McGehee 3b, Jarrod Saltalamacchia c

Twins (1): Kurt Suzuki c

White Sox (3): Alex Avila c, Austin Jackson of, Justin Morneau 1b

Yankees (2): Billy Butler dh/1b, Mark Teixeira 1b
    National League

Braves (3): Emilio Bonifacio if/of, Eric O’Flaherty lhp, A.J. Pierzynski c

Brewers (2): Blaine Boyer rhp, Chris Capuano lhp

Cardinals (2): Brandon Moss 1b/of, Jerome Williams rhp

Cubs (7): Trevor Cahill rhp, Aroldis Chapman lhp, Chris Coghlan of/if, Munenori Kawasaki if, David Ross c, Joe Smith rhp, Travis Wood lhp

Diamondbacks (2): Daniel Hudson rhp, Rickie Weeks of

Dodgers (9): Brett Anderson lhp, Joe Blanton rhp, Jesse Chavez rhp, Rich Hill lhp, J.P. Howell lhp, Kenley Jansen rhp, Justin Turner 3b, Chase Utley 2b

Giants (8): Gordon Beckham if, Gregor Blanco of, Santiago Casilla rhp, Javier Lopez lhp, Joe Nathan rhp, Angel Pagan of, Jake Peavy rhp, Sergio Romo rhp

Marlins (7): Andrew Cashner rhp, Mike Dunn lhp, Jeff Francoeur of, Chris Johnson 3b/1b, Jeff Mathis c, Dustin McGowan rhp, Fernando Rodney rhp

Mets (7): Jerry Blevins lhp, Bartolo Colon rhp, Alejandro de Aza of, Kelly Johnson if, James Loney 1b, Fernando Salas rhp, Neil Walker 2b

Nationals (8): Matt Belisle rhp, Sen Burnett lhp, Stephen Drew if, Chris Heisey of, Mat Latos rhp, Mark Melancon rhp, Wilson Ramos c, Marc Rzepczynski lhp

Padres (6): Edwin Jackson rhp, Jon Jay of, Brandon Morrow rhp, Clayton Richard lhp, Adam Rosales if, Carlos Villanueva rhp

Phillies (5): Andres Blanco if, Peter Bourjos of, A.J. Ellis c, Jeremy Hellickson rhp, David Hernandez rhp

Pirates (5): Neftali Feliz rhp, Matt Joyce of, Ivan Nova rhp, Sean Rodriguez if, Ryan Vogelsong rhp

Reds (2): Ross Ohlendorf rhp, Alfredo Simon rhp

Rockies (6): Jorge De La Rosa lhp, Daniel Descalso if, Nick Hundley c, Boone Logan lhp, Ryan Raburn of, Mark Reynolds 1b

Ex Blue Jays and Red Sox coach Torey Lovullo is the new Arizona manager.

Mariners outfielder Nori Aoki is off to the Astros, claimed off waivers.

And leaving the Astros for Philadelphia is P Pat Neshek.

• Advertisement

Cespedes has opted out of his contract so is now a free agent. We all knew it was going to happen but to hear that it's now official, is a bit a a downer.

Cespedes has opted out of his contract so is now a free agent.

Toronto needs a slugging outfielder. Hmmmm. :)

Toronto needs a slugging outfielder. Hmmmm. :)

See it being rumored over here. Apparently no serious talks with Edwin which is a disgrace. Still lots of time for that to change though but really hope we don't lose him to another AL East team which will probably happen.

Cespedes has opted out of his contract so is now a free agent. We all knew it was going to happen but to hear that it's now official, is a bit a a downer.

Wanna guess where he'll end up??

Wanna guess where he'll end up??

My heart says Mets. My brain says elsewhere. Seems like the Angels, or Marlins, are most likely. He'd fit in well in Miami and give them scary offense from an outfield with Stanton and Yelich as well. Mets never have any money and Alderson dislikes long contracts.

Mets think they'll replace his production with Bruce and Conforto. I think without Cespedes, breaking .500 next year's unlikely without 3 of the 4 missing starters returning to form, and finding a catcher than reliably do something - either field, or hit, or hopefully both. Plus Familia being replaced for at least the duration of a suspension. They might get Walker back for a year, though who knows how healthy he'll be.

It's HOF time. Tim Raines is in his last year of eligibility. Vlad Guerrero's there for the first time, as well as Pudge Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez. Ex-Met first timers include Melvin Mora and Mike Cameron. I always wondered what the early 2000's Mets would have been like had they retained Mora and let Rey Ordonez go...

If I had a vote, it'd be Raines, Pudge and Guerrero. Guerrero should be a shoo-in and Raines was amazing in his prime, plus Pudge was probably the best all-around since the Bench and Carter.

Some PED rumors about Pudge might slow him down, what a great arm he had though, loved picking them at 1st from his knees behind the plate.

Jeff Bagwell's probably got a good chance, he has the 2d most votes from the last time after Raines, 69% out of 75% needed. Might make it this time. Trevor Hoffmann's got a chance though I don't think he's worthy, he's one of those 'Hall of the Very Good' players, really wasn't that scary a reliever in my recollection.

Cubs decline SP Jason Hammels 12 mill option for 2017

Rockies hire Bud Black at there new manager

Mets rumored to be in for Joey Bats. Suprised that a NL team would take him as he's not great at RF anymore.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Mets rumored to be in for Joey Bats. Suprised that a NL team would take him as he's not great at RF anymore.

The Mets are going to be rumoured to be in for every outfielder going but I can't see them signing any of them.

Cespedes will sign somewhere and we'all hear the speil about how confident they are going into next season with Conforto/Granderson/Bruce as the outfield. Sandy Anderson hates spending money on deals over 2-3 years.

And I presume Batistuta has been given a qualifying offer from Toronto so it would cost a draft pick to sign him and Sandy hates giving up draft picks too.

• Advertisement

The Mets are going to be rumoured to be in for every outfielder going but I can't see them signing any of them.

Cespedes will sign somewhere and we'all hear the speil about how confident they are going into next season with Conforto/Granderson/Bruce as the outfield. Sandy Anderson hates spending money on deals over 2-3 years.

And I presume Batistuta has been given a qualifying offer from Toronto so it would cost a draft pick to sign him and Sandy hates giving up draft picks too.

He's been given a qualifying offer alright which he's expected to decline as he wants multi year deal. Apparently we're trying to sign Edwin back, better late then never but this should have really been done months ago. Anyway, the MVP, Cy Young, Rookie and Manager of the year nominations were brought out yesterday

AL MVP

• Mike Trout, Angels
    • Jose Altuve, Astros
    • Mookie Betts, Red Sox
    NL MVP

• Kris Bryant, Cubs
    • Corey Seager, Dodgers
    • Daniel Murphy, Nationals
    AL Cy Young

• Rick Porcello, Red Sox
    • Corey Kluber, Indians
    • Justin Verlander, Tigers
    NL Cy Young

• Max Scherzer, Nationals
    • Kyle Hendricks, Cubs
    • Jon Lester, Cubs
    AL Rookie of the Year

• Michael Fulmer, Tigers
    • Gary Sanchez, Yankees
    • Tyler Naquin, Indians
    NL Rookie of the Year

• Kenta Maeda, Dodgers
    • Corey Seager, Dodgers
    • Trea Turner, Nationals
    AL Manager of the Year

• Jeff Bannister, Rangers
    • Terry Francona, Indians
    • Buck Showalter, Orioles
    NL Manager of the Year

• Dusty Baker, Nationals
    • Joe Maddon, Cubs
    • Dave Roberts, Dodgers

The AL Cy young baffles me. No Zach Britton after an ERA of 0.54, and no Aaron Sanchez after leading the AL in ERA. Buck Showalter is a strange one for AL Manager of the year too, and I'd give the NL one to Dave Roberts after the job he did with the Dodgers after all their injuries this year

The AL Cy young baffles me. No Zach Britton after an ERA of 0.54, and no Aaron Sanchez after leading the AL in ERA. Buck Showalter is a strange one for AL Manager of the year too, and I'd give the NL one to Dave Roberts after the job he did with the Dodgers after all their injuries this year

They don't seem to like relievers for the Cy Youngs. Most of the winners will be pretty predictable I'd say although I'd like to see Scherzer get the NL CY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

He's been given a qualifying offer alright which he's expected to decline as he wants multi year deal. Apparently we're trying to sign Edwin back, better late then never but this should have really been done months ago. Anyway, the MVP, Cy Young, Rookie and Manager of the year nominations were brought out yesterday

Rumours are that Encarnacion wants $125 million over 5 years. I can't see the Jays going for that but I guess we'll see.

A good read here about the top 50 free agents and where a good spot for them to land might be.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/11/07/reiter-50-free-agency-rankings

Rumours are that Encarnacion wants $125 million over 5 years. I can't see the Jays going for that but I guess we'll see.

I thought he'd end up in Boston for sure but their GM says they have players in the minors and 5 years is too long. One of Edwin and Bautista ends up in Texas I reckon. I'd be very surprised to see Bautista back in Toronto; Edwin maybe.

I could see one of Toronto's starters being traded. Sanchez no; Happ, Estrada or even Stroman yes.

I thought he'd end up in Boston for sure but their GM says they have players in the minors and 5 years is too long. One of Edwin and Bautista ends up in Texas I reckon. I'd be very surprised to see Bautista back in Toronto; Edwin maybe.

I could see one of Toronto's starters being traded. Sanchez no; Happ, Estrada or even Stroman yes.

Can't see Bautista going to Texas with all the history there anyway. Stroman might get traded or even going into the BP I think too. Sanchez/Estrada/Happ/Lirano would be a good enough starting rotation anyway.

The Rays I hear are open to offers on Longoria. Even the Tigers are getting calls on Cabrera. Interesting times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Wow I didn't realise how big Cabrera's contract is.

Interesting too that the Astros only have 2 players signed for post-2017.

RA Dickey off to the Braves..

1 year deal

• Advertisement

RA Dickey off to the Braves..

I hope it's a big pitcher's park because, boy oh boy, did he give up a lot of homers in the Skydome.

Advertisement