Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah it really is mind over matter stuff to be staring face down such a drop, you're putting your life and trust in the equipment and the guy feeding the rope.

My favourite part of the abseiling was when one recruit was struggling and flapping his legs about everywhere and Ger Reidy shouts up the tower "Its not Dancing with the Stars!". I pissed myself laughing at that one.

The ds's have some great quips.

Any army dudes I've met in real life are the same, so it's not just hamming it up for TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

mloc123 wrote: »
    The guy that is a professional triathlete seems like a bit of a spoofer? I looked up his race results and most people I know that do it as a hobby would be better.

The triathlon part is just a minor part of his story, which is mostly about him having been on the road to professional footballer as a young lad with a club in Scotland, had to come home to coolock in his teens to provide for the family, got involved in gangland to do this providing, went to prison, got out back to coolock and turned his back on criminal life. Even if he is doing average times at it, let him have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,382 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Very good episode. Fair balls to them for walking down that tower. The scenes at Glendalough were pretty good too.
    How TF do you simulate amputations like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

you use someone that is already missing bits then use prosthetics to add the colourful bits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

How TF do you simulate amputations like that?

Just like fenris said.

For this realistic scenario, there is a company in the UK that hire ex-service people / civilians who are amputees to roleplay.

It actually puts the ****s up you how realistic it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,382 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just like fenris said.

For this realistic scenario, there is a company in the UK that hire ex-service people / civilians who are amputees to roleplay.

It actually puts the ****s up you how realistic it is.

Funny, I did actually consider that possibility of existing amputees, but it just seemed such a long shot - bringing them in from the UK sounds feasible.

We've come a long way from Casualties Union and their plasticine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Don't think there's any way I Could have done that absailing. Looked horrific, especially in that weather.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Don't think there's any way I Could have done that absailing. Looked horrific, especially in that weather.

It’s against all your rational thinking but as a soldier your job is to carry out orders not to be an individual thinker. That’s the tough part for most

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The abseiling would have been a fair bit less hairy if the wall wasn't slimy.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The quote from tonight: 'I p*ssed myself to stay warm.'

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭siblers

This season is superb, miles better than season one and a lot better than the English version.

They just got the right mix of the training/drills and the psychology aspect. The part with #27 and the psychologist was very interesting.

Music is brilliant too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭opfleet

What is the pass time for the 4 and half man test?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He might have gone out this week but I was very impressed with number 4. Throughout the series he was a really likeable character, full of personality and a bit of devilment, yet when he was being confronted his responses showed a real maturity and common sense. He really is a fella who will mix well with others. A real jack the lad Dub.
    Very impressed too with number 23. I know he plays with mayo so he is fit and achieving to the top level in gaa. But he is a great story teller, even more so than 4, and his outgoing personality is very engaging. The challenges seem to be easy for him.
    11 too was a great character, a worldly wise crafty Dub with a never give up attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

siblers wrote: »

Music is brilliant too

Mostly from the Tron Legacy soundtrack if anyone is interested.

Also agree with the above assessment. Some great characters in it this year, and very likeable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Funny, I did actually consider that possibility of existing amputees, but it just seemed such a long shot - bringing them in from the UK sounds feasible.

We've a lad in my unit who's a double amputee from an landmine explosion in Lebanon, in typical army dark humor we call him 'The Lebanese high jump champion' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

He might have gone out this week but I was very impressed with number 4. Throughout the series he was a really likeable character, full of personality and a bit of devilment, yet when he was being confronted his responses showed a real maturity and common sense. He really is a fella who will mix well with others. A real jack the lad Dub.
    Very impressed too with number 23. I know he plays with mayo so he is fit and achieving to the top level in gaa. But he is a great story teller, even more so than 4, and his outgoing personality is very engaging. The challenges seem to be easy for him.
    11 too was a great character, a worldly wise crafty Dub with a never give up attitude.

Aren't the Dubs great lads. Jaysus:P

In fairness i laughed more at number 4 and the sheep with green paint! The twin who went home injured was a character too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Another rough day, Hardy bunch in fairness. That drowning simulation just something I don't think I could do. Fair play to em, most of them didn't even think about it just jumped! Final looks like torture.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah another cracker of an episode last night.

The first half with them being buried underground looked okay, I was sitting there thinking grand and handy, all they have to do is breathe and stay calm. But them the pipe started filling up the hole with freezing cold water, holy fcuk, fair play to anyone for not panicking in that situation.

Anyone know what happened no.3 at the bottom of the quarry lake? His jump looked okay but somehow he conked out or something?

Some effort by 23 to complete that final swim while suffering hypothermia.

I don't know if anyone can explain this but one of the DS last night said that the recruits needed fear (think it was in relation to number 3 and the quarry sinking).
    But then when we see recruits stumble with their fears like abseiling face forward then the DSs tell them to get themselves together and do what they need to.
    How do you explain the balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Be right back

The first half with them being buried underground looked okay, I was sitting there thinking grand and handy, all they have to do is breathe and stay calm. But them the pipe started filling up the hole with freezing cold water, holy fcuk, fair play to anyone for not panicking in that situation.

Anyone know what happened no.3 at the bottom of the quarry lake? His jump looked okay but somehow he conked out or something?

Anyone know how long they had to stay underground?

• Advertisement

I don't know if anyone can explain this but one of the DS last night said that the recruits needed fear (think it was in relation to number 3 and the quarry sinking).
    But then when we see recruits stumble with their fears like abseiling face forward then the DSs tell them to get themselves together and do what they need to.
    How do you explain the balance?

Its quite straightforward tbh.

Having no fear indicates a person has either no situational awareness, emotional intelligence, forward planing or appreciation for a given situation.

This is troublesome as a military leader because you need to be able to identify what constitutes as a threat. Then how to either mitigate against it or how best to deal with it with available resources.

In #3's example, he was restrained and going into the drink with slim possibility of self recovery. His task was to step off and land straight, hit the bottom and use his legs to spring up to the surface.

He chose to ignore his insructions. He jumped off, landed further out and at an angle which resulted in a diagonal decent to the bottom where he just lay there like a rock.

The debris from the splash made visibility and DS recovery more difficult.

He displayed no situational awareness, no emotional intelligence, no forward planing and no appreciation for a given situation. He is stupid.

Fear makes you think, keeps you sharp, makes you consider all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Most of us are neutrally buoyant, and can sink or rise depending on how much air we have in our lungs. He probably exhaled too much, otherwise he would have popped up naturally. His body fat is low, so his body tends more to sinking. Going in crooked meant he couldn't kick up. Very harsh using that as the reason to kick him out, his hands and legs were tied. Kick off the DS for poor instruction!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

When did the mountaineer drop? (event or episode).

I had him chalked as a finisher, but I didn't notice his departure.

Roadtoad wrote: »
    When did the mountaineer drop? (event or episode).

I had him chalked as a finisher, but I didn't notice his departure.

Jason Black? Last week during the hill climb.

Having no fear indicates a person has either no situational awareness, emotional intelligence, forward planing or appreciation for a given situation.

This is troublesome as a military leader because you need to be able to identify what constitutes as a threat. Then how to either mitigate against it or how best to deal with it with available resources.

In #3's example, he was restrained and going into the drink with slim possibility of self recovery. His task was to step off and land straight, hit the bottom and use his legs to spring up to the surface.

He chose to ignore his insructions. He jumped off, landed further out and at an angle which resulted in a diagonal decent to the bottom where he just lay there like a rock.

He displayed no situational awareness, no emotional intelligence, no forward planing and no appreciation for a given situation. He is stupid.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is then why when the recruits wobble a bit with anxiety over a task do the DS come down on them?
    I just cant figure out where the balance is.
    Sorry if that's a silly observation.

If they appear anxious over a task in training, could they leave their team down if it was to happen in combat? I think they asked him to leave as he was supposed to act as leader but swam ahead of the others without checking on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Really enjoying the series! I laughed out loud when they found the Gay Byrne. You’d forget they are cut off from the world!

To be fair, I think he was the first to notice the man next to him, was suffering from hypothermia and started trying to warm him up.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is then why when the recruits wobble a bit with anxiety over a task do the DS come down on them?
    I just cant figure out where the balance is.
    Sorry if that's a silly observation.

It's fear in two different contexts.

Being afraid of something is not an issue but not being able to get the job done in spite of fear, is.

The absailing for example is a simple exercise in confidence training. Most people would be uncomfortable with the thoughts of doing it. Its getting them to face a challenge outside of most comfort zones and seeing will they attempt/complete it despite their fears.

The DS want to see a person push the boundaries which they have imposed upon themselves. If you are not willing to face a bit of fear and a bit of danger, then you are not suited to the military. Also completing the exercise will give you confidence for further tasks.

The big picture end goal is to have a person who can cross the start line into the unknown and not turn around and walk away if they see something you dont like i.e loads of lads with weapons pointed at you.

• Advertisement

To be fair, I think he was the first to notice the man next to him, was suffering from hypothermia and started trying to warm him up.

I didnt notice that, fair play to him, that should have stood to him a bit.

Also I see I said "he is stupid", was meant to be "he was stupid".

Advertisement