Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Forces ultimate hell week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This year's bunch seem a step up on last year. Will be interesting to see if anyone can finish it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Its quite straightforward tbh.

Having no fear indicates a person has either no situational awareness, emotional intelligence, forward planing or appreciation for a given situation.

This is troublesome as a military leader because you need to be able to identify what constitutes as a threat. Then how to either mitigate against it or how best to deal with it with available resources.

In #3's example, he was restrained and going into the drink with slim possibility of self recovery. His task was to step off and land straight, hit the bottom and use his legs to spring up to the surface.

He chose to ignore his insructions. He jumped off, landed further out and at an angle which resulted in a diagonal decent to the bottom where he just lay there like a rock.

The debris from the splash made visibility and DS recovery more difficult.

He displayed no situational awareness, no emotional intelligence, no forward planing and no appreciation for a given situation. He is stupid.

Fear makes you think, keeps you sharp, makes you consider all options.

Ya right, they punished him for their fuick up, they were under prepared but not having a scuba unit under water to retrieve the jumper , their rescue snorkler wast capable in low vi's, these guys non experienced jumpers are bound to land arse ways with legs and hands bound, your man nearly drowned at their fault, they picked him because they couldn't break him and were short drop out numbers. Tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Macdarack wrote: »
    Ya right, they punished him for their fuick up, they were under prepared but not having a scuba unit under water to retrieve the jumper , their rescue snorkler wast capable in low vi's, these guys non experienced jumpers are bound to land arse ways with legs and hands bound, your man nearly drowned at their fault, they picked him because they couldn't break him and were short drop out numbers. Tools.

Agree totally. Any time the last line of safety gets used means there was no adequate safety plan. A guy with a mask and wet suit, but no scuba, in churned up water was inadequate. They could easily use a very discrete lanyard tied to the jumper's ankle, invisible to the camera. All the beasting of the other programmes might have broken ankles, spirits, ribs, but in that moment they risked brain injury with NO BACKUP PLAN.
    Kick the Directors out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Agree totally. Any time the last line of safety gets used means there was no adequate safety plan. A guy with a mask and wet suit, but no scuba, in churned up water was inadequate. They could easily use a very discrete lanyard tied to the jumper's ankle, invisible to the camera. All the beasting of the other programmes might have broken ankles, spirits, ribs, but in that moment they risked brain injury with NO BACKUP PLAN.
    Kick the Directors out!

There could have been someone off camera for all we know.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Roadtoad wrote: »
    When did the mountaineer drop? (event or episode).

I had him chalked as a finisher, but I didn't notice his departure.

He broke a rib in the fighting and couldnt make the time in a subsequent trek as a result

• Advertisement

To be fair some of the contestants are great, Hardy and likeable, pity about all the D. S's they make the rangers look like something out of a savage eye skit, cringy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There could have been someone off camera for all we know.

Theres might have been but Id doubt it as surely a submerged safety diver would have stepped in when the first attempt to retrieve him by snorkelling failed due to low visibility. Had the second attempt failed it could have been serious, hes underwater for at least 60 seconds at that stage and its into drowning territory. . The two DS on the platform had wetsuits on but by the time they got snorkels and fins on you've lost another 30 seconds. Both of them were looking over the edge at attempt no.2 and they didnt look like they were contemplating diving in, I thought they should have been getting ready after the first failed attempt in case the second one failed too and you're left with a tired and breathless DS doing a third one. Its freezing cold quarry water in November too so adds another layer of difficulty.

Could be wrong but Im doubting there was a safety diver as I just couldnt see any scenario where they dont step in to sort the situation after the first attempt to save him failed. Its not about who gets the glory when the guys brain is shutting down due to lack of oxygen. He might have been rescued and resuscitated but then ended up with brain damage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

I wonder will they get through the last stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

7 or 23 for me, really looking forward to it.

I wonder will they get through the last stage?

Unlikely I'd say. They all look wrecked.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

The twin will do.

Wow, that’s a shocker but good head on his shoulders to make that call if he knew it would affect him that much.

A bit Cringe, prefer more physical endeavours., or skill.this is just a game with annoying sounds.

Macdarack wrote: »
    A bit Cringe, prefer more physical endeavours., or skill.this is just a game with annoying sounds.

This white noise/stress positions??

Oh the good cop bad cop drill, how original.... Ffs...

Interrogator with the smig is like one of those travellers calling out someone on YouTube.

Faired income, they're Tough cunce.

Fair fooking play to them lads. I’d say that last 10-12 hours was almost as difficult as any other task, mad stuff. Not a game with noise that’s for sure.

Roll on next season.

Must be some relief there at the end for the lads, say they'd go home for a good weeks sleep after that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd have lasted only 3 minutes with the squaling baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Well done to the trio.

Proud of my fellow countyman ....g'wan the Cats!

Fair play to the three. That crying baby would have done my head in.

Hitchens wrote: »
    Well done to the trio.

Proud of my fellow countyman ....g'wan the Cats!

The rats :)

I did think 23 was going to drop out but I remembered he would be used to stressful situations in his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I did think 23 was going to drop out but I remembered he would be used to stressful situations in his job.

And playing football for Mayo

He's the GAA player? Didn't want to lose this time! Sorry, Mayo people.

Great show in fairness, still one of the best in Ireland.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He's the GAA player? Didn't want to lose this time! Sorry, Mayo people.

Good job the final wasn't in Croker!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

John Fagan looked as if he could carry on for another while. Man or machine?!

• Advertisement

Is he any good at football?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement