Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Solicitor contact details

Options
  • 07-02-2019 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

As per heading, looking for top of the range solicitor for renewal refusal appeal. Appeal will be in Dublin, but welcome referrals from anywhere as I will fight this all the way. Please PM contact details. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bruman

I think Willian Egan did a lot of the centrefire pistol cases. They are Dublin based. William Egan & Associates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You will need more than a Solr to deal with this.
    PM sent

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

William Egan & Associates. Knows the whole thing inside out from cases he represented during the great unpleasantness a few years back...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Apologies only seeing this now. If your in the NARGC there is help with this financially and by making representation (if thats the word) contact Dan or Chris, he has been great help up our way with some hiccups.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Being too nosey so tell me to feck off, did you get a written refusal and if so what was the cause? As a renewal it seems odd.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

As per heading, looking for top of the range solicitor for renewal refusal appeal. Appeal will be in Dublin, but welcome referrals from anywhere as I will fight this all the way. Please PM contact details. Thanks in advance.

Best of luck man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭onetimecypher

Cass wrote: »
    Being too nosey so tell me to feck off, did you get a written refusal and if so what was the cause? As a renewal it seems odd.

No. No written refusal and my 3mths up in Jan and 30days to appeal up before end Feb. (New chief super anti gun)

Believe this is another illegal coup to reduce firearms numbers especially restricted ones

No. No written refusal and my 3mths up in Jan and 30days to appeal up before end Feb. (New chief super anti gun)
    This is a slightly different scenario as being refused, and getting such a refusal in writing.

As you noted from the other thread this is not an uncommon thing. Now bear with me on this.

Under section 3(9) and 3(10) you are entitled to be notified of a refusal in the form of a written refusal if unsuccessful on an application or renewal. The commissioner's guidelines says that under section 15 of the 1925 act as amended by section 43 of the 2006 act, any person not receiving notification within 3 months is deemed refused. This has long being thought of as "if you don't get a refusal after three months, you're refused". However i dispute that interpretation because the same section contradicts itself.

Section 15 of the principal act deals with persons in possession of a firearm intent on doing harm to another. Section 43 of the 2006 act, which amends section 15, gives your options if such a refusal takes place.

In section 43(2) of the 2006 act it says:
    (2) An appeal shall be made within 30 days of receipt of notice of the decision concerned.
    So even though you have received no notification of a decision the section says you must lodge an appeal within 30 days of being notified.

Then section 43(5)(b)&(c) says if the 3 months go by and you have received NO notification then this is your notification and section 3(10) of the principal act is void.

IOW they don't have to inform you.

The updated commissioner's guidelines says:
    Where an application is refused, the issuing person shall inform the applicant in writing of the refusal and the reason(s) for it. In recent years, the Courts have consistently stressed the importance of an issuing superintendent or chief superintendent to clearly provide a refused applicant with a REASONED decision for a refusal, thus affording the person the opportunity to challenge the decision by way of appeal to the District Court.

In simple terms, a refused applicant should be left in no doubt as to why his/her application has been refused and a mere recital of the legislation in the refusal letter is not deemed sufficient. A refused person should also be informed of his/her right, within 30 days of receipt of the refusal letter, to appeal the decision to refuse to the District Court
    This is to cut down on the number of appeals and court cases being taken when no refusal was intended or given and it was just a case of the 3 months expiring before a decision was given on the renewal/application.

You might be saying to yourself what the feck has that to do with me. I know it all, and i'm still legally refused as the 3 months have expired. You're right, legally speaking.

Have you contacted the station to ask if the application was refused, and if so for what reason? If not i'd start there. Inform the FO that you, legally, have been refused as the 3 months are up and you have less than 21 days left to lodge an appeal, however you don't want to do so unless it's an actual refusal and not just a case of the application taking longer than the allotted time.

You can do this while still lodging the appeal, which if you talk to Grizzly_45, doesn't seem to be that hard a thing to do or even expensive. If the AGS come back saying it wasn't refused, just took longer, then you can cancel the appeal. If it is a refusal then you have the case lodged anyway.

TL:DR - Ring the station, talk to the FO, and confirm the refusal while simultaneously lodging the appeal or intent to appeal in your district court.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

As a normal citizen, you can be given the runaround on this non-stop. Different if it is in writing from a legal eagle. Stating things like, if you are refusing my client, why? And if you are, mind putting your reasons in writing?
    Sometimes, you just need more gun, and a solicitors letter has a great way of focusing Supers attention to a matter

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Registered letter sent to chief superintendent requesting "reasoned details of refusal" and informing him that if it is actually refused I will be appealing.

As stated earlier, he is totally anti gun. His first statement when I met him was "I haven't refused you yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Is this renewal for a standard or restricted firearm ?

As stated earlier RESTRICTED

OK. Best of luck with your case, I do hope you are successful. I can be of no further help to you.

I've had two restricted renewals in the last month or so. I found them, how can i put this, harder than normal to renew than before.

Way more details asked for, more information, more "proof" of need/use. I was able to supply it all, but a mate went through the same process and due to few (less than 5) visits to the range in the last 18 months due to family/health issues, he was initially refused but managed to convince the CS to issue the renewal on the basis more visits to the range or as it was told to me as told to him, "more visible usage of the weapon" is shown at the next renewal.

I'm always open to a good conspiracy, but i genuinely think there is a concerted effort to reduce numbers of restricted firearms that won't be banned with any new legislation. IOW when they introduce any new legislation that will ban all firearms after the 2008 and 2015 Dail statements, the grandfathered firearms will either be gone already or almost there.

Without going off topic, combine this with the increasing number of issues people are facing regarding straight forward, unrestricted, renewals and its not a stretch to think a "cull" is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

Without wanting to derail the thread completely, is there anything we can do to preemptively stop this? I guess, keep doing what the OP is doing and use the law.

OP, best of luck. Hope you get it sorted.

I've had two restricted renewals in the last month or so. I found them, how can i put this, harder than normal to renew than before.

Way more details asked for, more information, more "proof" of need/use. I was able to supply it all, but a mate went through the same process and due to few (less than 5) visits to the range in the last 18 months due to family/health issues, he was initially refused but managed to convince the CS to issue the renewal on the basis more visits to the range or as it was told to me as told to him, "more visible usage of the weapon" is shown at the next renewal.

I'm always open to a good conspiracy, but i genuinely think there is a concerted effort to reduce numbers of restricted firearms that won't be banned with any new legislation. IOW when they introduce any new legislation that will ban all firearms after the 2008 and 2015 Dail statements, the grandfathered firearms will either be gone already or almost there.

Without going off topic, combine this with the increasing number of issues people are facing regarding straight forward, unrestricted, renewals and its not a stretch to think a "cull" is on.

I agree but who is it coming from the Commissioner, the Dept of Justice, the Minister. A directive has obviously been circulated to the AGS, I have heard of numerous reports both around me and from around the country of more difficulty come renewals, but it only appears to have gotten worse in the last year.
    Is there any way of finding out what or who is behind this because like 2008 you will be told no one is, that it is at the discretion of the Super and Chief Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

...or as it was told to me as told to him, "more visible usage of the weapon" is shown at the next renewal.

Is that right? AGS actually using the term 'weapon'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

tac foley wrote: »
    Is that right? AGS actually using the term 'weapon'?

same term used to by AGS via email from Supers office to me and `silencer.

TBH,it sounds again like the proveribal weeds are growing agan.If you don't hoe your patch regularly, weeds come back.

From what is being described, we have people deciding to push their boundaries again and see how far they can get away with and what sort of resistance they would meet.

IE Cass'es mate. Being refused for not enough range attendance. I'd have told that CS to go shove it and I'll see you in court where you can explain what the minimum range attendance is in law. Again, we had this in the 2014Limerick cases, and it could have gone both ways for a restricted pistol, as the owner hadn't set foot in a range in 2 years. Simply because of health issues, and the CS rescinding the license, because of non-attendance.

People do get sick, debilitated etc, in life, that's no sign that they are up to something nefarious and to refuse a license on those grounds is VERY thin legal ice for a CS.So long as you attend a range to its minimum requirements, for membership activity that should be good enough for anyone.

Thought I was going to have a problem with my new CS, after he had departed Kildare with a flea in his ear, over a court case regarding a UTAS shotgun, and I was the first restricted in the district. Apart from asking for the standard stuff like range attendance over 3 years and that was about it.It was issued no problem and within time too.:)

Was speaking to my breif about this, and was kind of prepping for a general mobilisation order,if need be.His take on these situations are this.

If your circumstances haven't drastically changed, and you are fulfilling your part of the contract of use and security, and the gun was licensed to you previously with no problem. Then what's the problem?It will be a hard day for a CS to refuse you in court if there is no overwhelmingly good reason to refuse you. Range attendance is NOT one of them.

As to pre-empting this, simple as Gen"Mad Dog" Matthias USMC said, "Be professional, be polite, but have a plan to kill every last SOB in the room!" Hopefully, the last bit of advice is not to be taken literally when talking to your CS!:DBut in business or this kind of a situation,"killing" them would mean know the law as well as they do on these issues and showing you aren't going to be a pushover either, and they coming over the line in the sand might result in loss of toes and things.

It's an unfortunate situation, and until this FAAA yoke is ever set up,if ever. To arbitrate these kinds of disputes, our only choice is "Long for peace,but prepare for war.Every 3 years.:(

Advertisement