Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

CramCycle wrote: »
    I imagine that would fit in nicely with work on F1 driver reaction times. Fascinating work years ago that showed that reactions, trained ones, actually took a short cut through the brain (laymen's terms here). I can well imagine that regular cyclists have a similar trained reaction. My thinking on it was different than the researchers, they proposed quicker reaction times, I felt it indictated that training meant you had to work through less possible reactions, hence the quicker arrival time to a reaction, also the training meant that , from experience, you reacted to the logical scenario, even in illogical circumstances.

There's probably a degree of that in that if you're coming pelting down a hill at 60km/h+ you have to be able to react quickly to small things that wouldn't trouble a car.

I'd say the cyclists make better drivers as far as the article is concerned is simpler however - you're simply better aware of the damage cars can do, the need to have space etc. There's also the very obvious correlation that doesn't seem to be mentioned in the article that if somebody is cycling, thinking in particular of the commute here rather than long spins, then they're not in the car so less likely to have need of making a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I’d imagine it’s that most cyclists are in the habit of screening their surroundings for possible danger, every junction, driveway, possible interaction etc.

And when they get in a car they continue to do that.

Most motorists do the same I imagine when they learn to drive but complacency sets in after several years and standards drop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

hesker wrote: »
    I’d imagine it’s that most cyclists are in the habit of screening their surroundings for possible danger, every junction, driveway, possible interaction etc.

And when they get in a car they continue to do that.

Most motorists do the same I imagine when they learn to drive but complacency sets in after several years and standards drop.

Interestingly based on the N plate being an indicative sign that they passed recently, I think it is something that sets in quite quickly.

Interestingly based on the N plate being an indicative sign that they passed recently, I think it is something that sets in quite quickly.

Well the bar to being an RSA approved driving instructor isn't exactly set very high, and I've seen a couple of cases of some fairly questionable examples being given to the learner (if I'm allowed to make the leap to assume that the middle aged man behind the wheel close passing me is the instructor and the young wan in the passenger seat the instructee on their way to/from the actual lesson)

Not that the driving test itself is the most exacting thing in the world either, and the instruction essentially boils down to how to perform for that one single half hour of your life (or multiple - seriously, if somebody fails a test 3 times should they be allowed on the road?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd always assumed to be an instructor you had to have gone through some bit of mandatory extra training. I've somehow mixed it up with the training that testers I think go through that I read about some time ago.

I'm only a learner myself, and I'm brutal, and probably worse because I cycle so much and have put it off so long. It's something I should have done at a young age just to have. My observation and such is probably much improved from cycling, but I just get into a car thinking that a minor mistake in this is a hell of a lot worse than one on my bike.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd always assumed to be an instructor you had to have gone through some bit of mandatory extra training. I've somehow mixed it up with the training that testers I think go through that I read about some time ago.

I'm only a learner myself, and I'm brutal, and probably worse because I cycle so much and have put it off so long. It's something I should have done at a young age just to have. My observation and such is probably much improved from cycling, but I just get into a car thinking that a minor mistake in this is a hell of a lot worse than one on my bike.

Been there. Only have my licence 5 years or so, and then only got one because kids were on the way. I did take lessons when I was about 18 or 19 and had no problems and did a bit of driving now and again and then nothing for nearly 12 years. I found from being on the bike so long and starting to drive again I was probably a little too focused on what everyone else was doing and the instructor told me as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For years the only requirement was a full driver's license. When they brought in the ADI rules, most of them got an amnesty so didn't have to take training.

I remember getting some absolutely brutal advice from "reputable" instructors when learning to drive. Very frustrating when you're paying them quite a lot of money for the privilege.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i won't repeat some of what was said, because there would be identifying details in the juicy bits, but a friend of mine who only ever learned in an automatic recently decided to go for lessons so she could learn to drive manual. this is a woman who has been driving for 15 years or more, and she was shocked at how bad the instructor was.

interestingly, she has a licence to drive a manual; she sat the test in an automatic but they issued a licence for a manual car, probably just a paperwork error.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

work wrote: »
    Well done RTE on this and the stupid texts were just that...Bikes shouldn't be allowed use roads or the path, classic.
    I wonder would RTE actually read out stupid texts if the issue was a race issue or a religious issue? There doesn't seem to be any filter/decency mechanism when it comes to cycling.
    Interesting point; or do interviewers ask inane questions of interviewees when topic is cycling that would never be asked if driving was the topic? There's a twitter thread by Conn Donovan, Cork, re daft questions Dan Boyle was asked last week re how impractical it is to cycle long distances when the actual topic was maintenance/non maintenance of cycle lanes. Can't link to it just now but it's worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

My son did his test yesterday.

If i can venture some unsolicited advice - pick your test centre early, then find out the routes that they use (most centres will have about 6 routes that they use for every test) and practice them repeatedly. You will get to know the pitfalls etc, places where you might find yourself in the wrong lane etc.

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    My son did his test yesterday.

If i can venture some unsolicited advice - pick your test centre early, then find out the routes that they use (most centres will have about 6 routes that they use for every test) and practice them repeatedly. You will get to know the pitfalls etc, places where you might find yourself in the wrong lane etc.

Aye back in the mists of time when I did mine, the only time I was... ahem... available for the test was a Wednesday morning. Wednesday at the time was half-day in the town (do these still exist anywhere?) and Wednesday mornings were tumbleweed quiet. It nearly backfired as the day dawned and visibilty was about 30m with fog :eek: I did pass though.

I spent about a year in California shortly after that, and had to do a driving test over there as the car hire company wouldn't accept my Irish license for some reason. Complete joke - drive up the road, turn left, then turn around (on a road so wide a Dodge minivan could just do a u-turn) and drive back. Coming back to the point in discussion, I'm pretty sure I was at that point qualified as a Californian driving instructor :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

A nasty assault. Won't do the cause much good but hopefully people appreciate there are bad people using all modes of transport: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/police-hunt-cyclist-who-headbutted-pedestrian-vtpv8mg3z

In case of paywall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1a0yfqcYzo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet when he head-butted that guy. He could have been killed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hopefully people appreciate there are bad people using all modes of transport
    having seen the replies under a tweet about this, i think your hope is in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Ah nice, a zero emissions headbutt!
    Seriously though, what a dirtbag.

What a scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Stark wrote: »
    That cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet when he head-butted that guy. He could have been killed!

Nah, if you do it properly, it doesn't hurt.

This one is not behind a paywall:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/10/police-hunt-cyclist-who-headbutted-pedestrian-in-london

Not a pleasant sight. I wish the headlines were "police hunt scumbag who headbutted man" rather than "cyclist who headbutted pedestrian". But there you go.

He broke a pedestrian crossing badly and at speed, missing the victim by inches before getting off his bike to headbutt him, presumably in response to what the victim said to him.

I predict journal.ie will post the video fairly soon and the comment section will be interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

He is described as a white man in his 40s.”
    .. at least he wasn't wearing lycra ...

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

...just thought i would point out that the pedestrian deliberately made contact with the cyclist before the cyclist stopped and attacked him. As the pedestrian was crossing he used his right hand to shove the cyclists right shoulder.

• Advertisement

Roadhawk wrote: »
    ...just thought i would point out that the pedestrian deliberately made contact with the cyclist before the cyclist stopped and attacked him. As the pedestrian was crossing he used his right hand to shove the cyclists right shoulder.

On my phone it looks more like he pulls back in shock, maybe I'm wrong

the way there's a kind of freeze frame in the shot makes it harder to tell; i assumed it was frozen at that point as it might have offered the clearest frame showing his face?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

All as a result of the violent scumbag who ran a red light to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

This one is not behind a paywall:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/10/police-hunt-cyclist-who-headbutted-pedestrian-in-london

Not a pleasant sight. I wish the headlines were "police hunt scumbag who headbutted man" rather than "cyclist who headbutted pedestrian". But there you go.

He broke a pedestrian crossing badly and at speed, missing the victim by inches before getting off his bike to headbutt him, presumably in response to what the victim said to him.

I predict journal.ie will post the video fairly soon and the comment section will be interesting....

Journal.ie is a place of fair and intellectual comment. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

On my phone it looks more like he pulls back in shock, maybe I'm wrong
    He raised his hand all right possibly in self defence, impossible to know. Either way, it's the cyclist's fault if contact occurred imo, and the reaction was totally unjustified. I hope he's caught and gets done for assault.

I was pretty confident in that prediction, did not feel I was going out on a limb, but I'm surprised to see the journal has resisted the temptation. o.O

There is not the slightest element of blame attaching to the pedestrian in this instance. No way.

The guy on the bike is completely in the wrong, in fact that is an understatement since it suggests he might have only been careless. As posters above put it he is a scumbag.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/11/man-69-jailed-for-knocking-teenager-off-bike-in-road-rage-row
    A man who used his 4x4 to knock down a teenage cyclist before beating him up and trashing his new bicycle during a road rage row has been jailed for six months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He only got a 15 month driving ban. That's ludicrous

• Advertisement

maybe it says more about me - but a 17 year old with a two and a half grand bike?
    kids these days mutter mutter mutter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement