Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

seanynova wrote: »
    im screwed then!
    Half MP HR is 180bpm @ 93%max and MP HR is looking like its around 170-171bpm @ 88%max!!!

guess ill find out the hard way.........again :confused:

Firstly the figures I gave were deliberately conservative for marathon first timers aiming for 3:30. Next marathon I will likely run 87%. Also how sure are you of your HR max? 10bpm below HM HR is a good conservative target HR, no bother to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aero2k

im screwed then!
    Half MP HR is 180bpm @ 93%max and MP HR is looking like its around 170-171bpm @ 88%max!!!

guess ill find out the hard way.........again :confused:
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Firstly the figures I gave were deliberately conservative for marathon first timers aiming for 3:30. Next marathon I will likely run 87%. Also how sure are you of your HR max? 10bpm below HM HR is a good conservative target HR, no bother to you.

Nothing to worry about seany, last year I had HMP HR 180 (6:30/mile) and MP HR 170 (6:49/mile) I haven't tried to check my max HR since 2001, and it was 200 then, so unlikely to be more now. Sounds like you're right on target.

BTW I don't look at HR when I'm training or racing, I just like to look at it later to see how I'm progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

recent Berli marathon i ran 87%.....
    Nerves had me as at very high heart rate for the first 8k.....161 odd
    All of a sudden it came down and settled at 156-159 for the nxt 19 miles......It then shot up to 106% and back down to 170......Average out at 160 but i would have ignored the first 8k. Resting heart rate that morning was 80 that eventaully went down to 50. Its 36 at lowest..........With a garmin a polar no wonder i dont remember the race....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

cheers Gringo, your right i dont really know my HRmax value but im working of the typical age profile etc.....i was very worried about my HR values before but they all seam to be in line, as in my 7:50-8:00m/m HR is 150-155bpm so its all relative to my HMP and tempo HR i guess...
    aero2k wrote: »
    Nothing to worry about seany, last year I had HMP HR 180 (6:30/mile) and MP HR 170 (6:49/mile) I haven't tried to check my max HR since 2001, and it was 200 then, so unlikely to be more now. Sounds like you're right on target.

BTW I don't look at HR when I'm training or racing, I just like to look at it later to see how I'm progressing.

thanks Aero, im the same now, never look at the HR on the screen(although there a is very small text of it at the top right corner of the garmin) but use it afterwards like yourself for info and comparison...

i would have said im on target until i got injured but im not too far away....a good taper with a good nutrition & hydration strategy and ill be good for 20m anyway, the rest, well........lets just see ;)

thanks again for the encouragement lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Badbark

Although many people have great success racing to HR it is definitely not for everyone. Having run 5-6 days a week with a HR monitor for over a year including 3 marathons and 3 half marathons I would now only use my HR monitor as a rough guide or to look back on afterwards. My average HR was 7-10 BPM different from the very start of the last two marathons I ran although the pace was very similar. The second of these two marathons was completed only 2 minutes faster than the first.

There are many factors that can change your HR on one particular day so I would strongly advise anyone running there first marathon not to rely too much on HR. My HR is also always higher in a race than it is for the same pace in training due to nerves and excitement.

Sorry, I am not trying to undermine anything that anyone else has said but I feel it’s important that marathon virgins know both sides of the argument.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aero2k

never look at the HR on the screen(although there a is very small text of it at the top right corner of the garmin) but use it afterwards like yourself for info and comparison...
    ...which is one of the reasons I don't use it!
    (my eysight is fine, it's just that my arm is too short..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

3 stars (average)
    Badbark wrote: »
    Although many people have great success racing to HR it is definitely not for everyone. Having run 5-6 days a week with a HR monitor for over a year including 3 marathons and 3 half marathons I would now only use my HR monitor as a rough guide or to look back on afterwards. My average HR was 7-10 BPM different from the very start of the last two marathons I ran although the pace was very similar. The second of these two marathons was completed only 2 minutes faster than the first.

There are many factors that can change your HR on one particular day so I would strongly advise anyone running there first marathon not to rely too much on HR. My HR is also always higher in a race than it is for the same pace in training due to nerves and excitement.

Sorry, I am not trying to undermine anything that anyone else has said but I feel it’s important that marathon virgins know both sides of the argument.:)

Thanks for the comments Badbark. It's definitely worth hearing both sides of an argument.

I think that most people have higher heart rates in racing than training. It caused me some difficulties early on in my training as I do it by heart rate too and based my Max HR off a race which meant that when it came to tempo runs in particular I was trying to hit a level that I couldn't maintain.

I wear my HRM on almost every run as well and have spotted a number of factors that affect heart rate (both up and down) such as heat, lack of sleep, general tiredness, time of day, hydration. I'll be keeping them in mind as well as listening to how my body is responding at the start. The real value for me of a HRM is to stop me from pushing too hard too early. Once you're into a race, going well and feeling good there's a real temptation to push things on a little. I've only seen this in half marathons so far but I don't imagine that the temptation is any less in a marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭seanin4711

hi all,
    have been following hal higdons novice 2 program for prep for the DCM but finding it very hard to pace myself and finding on the LSR's that my legs are buckled by mile 16/17.
    case in point the athlone 3/4!
    anways what can i do to try a minimise this trouble?
    could it be that i am not eating enough on the long runs?ie half way round
    Is it a matter of getting used to the distance?
    Would like to do the DCM in 4 hours but after athlone my confidence took a bit of a dent!
    I might be more concerned in enjoying the experience now!

any kind soul got some words of wisdom for me?
    slan
    s

PS(would still like to go under 4)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

seanin4711 wrote: »
    hi all,
    have been following hal higdons novice 2 program for prep for the DCM but finding it very hard to pace myself and finding on the LSR's that my legs are buckled by mile 16/17.
    case in point the athlone 3/4!
    anways what can i do to try a minimise this trouble?
    could it be that i am not eating enough on the long runs?ie half way round
    Is it a matter of getting used to the distance?
    Would like to do the DCM in 4 hours but after athlone my confidence took a bit of a dent!
    I might be more concerned in enjoying the experience now!

slan
    s

PS(would still like to go under 4)!!!

what pace are you doing your lsr's at? Do you eat before them, how is your sleep? All there will be factors to consider. What time did you do in Athlone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    hi all,
    ........but finding it very hard to pace myself and finding on the LSR's that my legs are buckled by mile 16/17...............

Couple of things come to mind:
    Hydration - if you're not maintaining a high level of hydration - at all times!! - you're likely to develop problems.
    Are you pushing too much? You may have speed, at shorter distances. Longer distances are a different matter. I find that *most* people's idea of LSR is *not* LSR and can often be LFR. LSR is just that - time on your feet.
    Recovery - are you getting enough?

First marathon - this is a learning curve. Learn from it - you'll enter the next marathon far wiser and far better prepared, no matter how well you fare in your first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    Can anyone tell me was the Energise sports drink given in cups or bottles last year? Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Hi first timer..
    So just wondering if the course is the exact same as last year?
    If so is there any info on course profile.. i.e mile 1-2flat, mile 3 some uphill, mile 4-6 some down hill etc.......apologies if its already been posted but didn't see it...

I did see a post on a uphill slope around Crumlin??
    How bad is this or how long does it go on for ..many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

4 stars (good)
    Hey pdiddyw, I posted the same question a while back, and there are some replies. Enjoy :D
    Peckham wrote: »
    It's not exactly as flat as a pancake, but at the same time isn't too hilly either. In terms of hills, there are really two points where these come into effect:

1) From around mile 12 to mile 13 there's a long drag up through Crumlin. It's not exactly a hill, but is an incline none the less and can be draining as it's invariably into the wind and is a bit dull in terms of scenery.

2) Around miles 18-19 there are two inclines up to the top of Fosters Avenue that are tough because of where they come in the race. Again, not exactly problematic in themselves, but can catch people out.

I'm certain there have been some course profiles floating around these parts - am sure someone less lazy than me will point them out.
    tunguska wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss Rubyk...........But since you asked: The lads have already mentioned the drag from crumlin to the walkinstown roundabout and the climb at roebuck hill. But theres also a doozey of a hill when youre coming out of chapelizod, around about the 10mile mark.
    It's a flat course (dodges rotten tomatoes thrown by amadeus and other Strawberry Half-ers;)). The worst of the hills is a slow drag from 17-19miles: steep 40m section at milltown, gradual long incline at Clonskeagh, which culminates in a steep-ish 100m before Foster's Ave. A lot of runners dislike the long Crumlin road mid-section (where the wind can be against you), and some say the ramp at 22 miles at UCD is tough (in reality, anything at 22 miles is tough).

That's the worst parts IMHO, in general its a great course, with plenty to keep your interest. Crowds are meritorious, its certainly flat enough to be a PB-type course. Copacetic cameraderie.

great thanks for that Rubyk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    There's also a Garmin track of the route (with elevation) here

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cdelboy

4 stars (good)
    plodder wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me was the Energise sports drink given in cups or bottles last year? Thx.

small bottles as far as I remember!

4 stars (good)
    pdiddyw wrote: »
    ....just wondering if the course is the exact same as last year?
    Other than a change in the first mile, I understand that the course is the same as last year. This year's course map is here.

You'll find details of last year's course here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Condo131 wrote: »
    Other than a change in the first mile, I understand that the course is the same as last year. This year's course map is here.

You'll find details of last year's course here.

Last year and this year look identical to me (and not just because you posted the same link twice :P) - what's the change in the first mile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

4 stars (good)
    xebec wrote: »
    Last year and this year look identical to me (and not just because you posted the same link twice :P) - what's the change in the first mile?

The start in Fitzwilliam heads towards Leeson Street as opposed to Holles Street

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    The start in Fitzwilliam heads towards Leeson Street as opposed to Holles Street
    That was the same last year. Up until last year it was different though ...

4 stars (good)
    xebec wrote: »
    OOps!:o Map link now corrected.

Not sure what the change is - normally run the first mile with the pack, but didn't last year.

In July, I was in contact with the Marathon office and they said that there is a minor change in the first mile, but that "you'd hardly notice it". I got the details ...and promptly forgot them.... I'm not too bothered about the first mile. Comparing this year's map and last year's profile, there doesn't seem to be any difference. Might be a change of just a few metres, due to course realignment - footpath/traffic island mods, etc, in which case few people are likely to notice.

Same as last year so ;) Think it was the previous that was the last time it headed towards Holles St, I definitely ran up to Leeson St last year!

something to get you guys revved up.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8XSit8XyeM

Speedy44 wrote: »
    what pace are you doing your lsr's at? Do you eat before them, how is your sleep? All there will be factors to consider. What time did you do in Athlone?

1 around 8min30 sec per mile
    2 generally yes
    3 not great as 2 babies under 2 1/2 at home so sleeping pattern all over the shop atm.
    4 splits per 1/3 of 19.6miles 58/59/1:14

exactly the same when i did LSR of 20 miles legs went at 16/17 and struggled from there on!
    The problem is I think that i find it really hard to hold myself back at the start of a run when i feel good and go 8 1/2 min miles only to pull up later.
    my plan is to go with the 4 hour pacers and take it from there.
    advice on eating half way or 3/4 on the DCM yes or no?
    good or bad what you think?
    thanks for the advice!
    s

2 generally yes
    3 not great as 2 babies under 2 1/2 at home so sleeping pattern all over the shop atm.

exactly the same when i did LSR of 20 miles legs went at 16/17 and struggled from there on!
    The problem is I think that i find it really hard to hold myself back at the start of a run when i feel good and go 8 1/2 min miles only to pull up later.
    thanks for the advice!
    s

Either you're selling yourself seriously short by going for 4:00 or you have been running your LSRs far too fast, I suspect the latter... Someone aiming for 4:00 should be doing their LSRs at about 10:00/mile or more, not over 30 seconds per mile faster than target race pace - it's no wonder you have been finding it so hard later in the runs... Stick with the pacers for Dublin and you should find it easier. Might be something to learn from for your next marathon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

3 stars (average)
    2 generally yes

thanks for the advice!
    s

Seanin, I'd pretty much agree with Xebec. I'm hoping for somewhere between 3:15 and 3:30 and you start your long runs off faster than I do. It's a little late now but for the next one it might be worth copying the Kenyans for some of your long ones. They like to start off runs really, really slowly, speed up for the middle and finish fast. It gives you a nice confidence boost amongst other things.

It definitely sounds like you'd benefit from taking on some kind of nutrition but don't wait until halfway. Your body can only absorb food at a certain rate so you need to start taking in calories long before you think that you need them. Also, don't wait until the day itself practice between now and then. It's not that hard to drink from a bottle of sports drink but it's not water. More importanly, you need to learn how you react to them and ideally test what's going to be provided in the race itself. Sports drinks are fine with me but I need to be careful of gels.

Sounds like your pacing strategy will help you in the marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

4 stars (good)
    Done my last LSR yesterday evening all the hard work done at this stage so roll on the sub 3.30 attempt in two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 slipshod

pdiddyw wrote: »
    Hi first timer..
    So just wondering if the course is the exact same as last year?
    If so is there any info on course profile.. i.e mile 1-2flat, mile 3 some uphill, mile 4-6 some down hill etc.......apologies if its already been posted but didn't see it...

Here's a video of the entire 26.2 which might help:

http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_course.php

4 stars (good)
    There's an interesting presentation about energy gels just been mentioned on the marathon site. The file is actually on highfive's web site here .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

4 stars (good)
    getting worried now, 15 miler yesterday after a weeks taper and felt like s***e, legs like lead, high HR, slow pace, only bad day at office i hope, let the nerves begin:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3 stars (average)
    ronnie085 wrote: »
    getting worried now, 15 miler yesterday after a weeks taper and felt like s***e, legs like lead, high HR, slow pace, only bad day at office i hope, let the nerves begin:eek::eek::eek:
    Don't worry. Everyone feels like this. That's why it's called taper madness. For my last couple of tapers I didn't begin to feel rested until I was at the 5 mile marker in the race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

4 stars (good)
    Ah the self doubt starting to kick in, training went very well for last 4 months, just cant wait to do it justice on the day. The GF cant wait either, my 'taper madness' is turning into her taper madness;)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

3 stars (average)
    plodder wrote: »
    There's an interesting presentation about energy gels just been mentioned on the marathon site. The file is actually on highfive's web site here .

I had a read of this today. Seems to indicate that you need to take around 10 gels on board during the race. Is this just High5 trying to flog more gels or is this a strategy that many would employ?

I was planning on taking around 5 PowerBar gels on the day with water and then drinking energy drinks where made available. I assume the 10 gel strategy would be based on the assumption that the individual doesn't take any energy drinks on board during the race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dowlinj wrote: »
    I had a read of this today. Seems to indicate that you need to take around 10 gels on board during the race. Is this just High5 trying to flog more gels or is this a strategy that many would employ?

I was planning on taking around 5 PowerBar gels on the day with water and then drinking energy drinks where made available. I assume the 10 gel strategy would be based on the assumption that the individual doesn't take any energy drinks on board during the race?

I think 3-5 would be closer to what most people would take on (ie. taking on a gel every 5-8 miles). 10 seems like way too much, even if High5 gels are smaller than some others on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I was part of their study in 2008 and having only used the odd gel before the DM08, I took one every 25mins and I think I had 11 in total. I definitely felt huge benefits from it. I'm a little bit lucky in that I have a strong stomach and was able to tolerate it.
    Now the other side of the coin, while training for Paris09 I trained with hi5 and I tried the same tactic of every 25 mins, felt nothing, so I came to the conclusion that my body was to use to them and therefore my body didn't get the effect.
    For my next marathon, I'll train without gels and will more than likely go for 1 every 25 mins.
    Also on the night of DM08 I was wired and found it very hard to sleep, possibly because of all the caffiene from the gels. Hope that helps a little.

I should probably add that the reason I think every 25 mins is good for me is because I don't eat the morning of a marathon, so it was a good way for me to keep on top of my carbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

3 stars (average)
    Woddle wrote: »
    I
    For my next marathon, I'll train without gels and will more than likely go for 1 every 25 mins.

every 25 minutes from Start?? or a what point would you suggest taking 1st gel?
    i train without water & gels/drinks etc, and would like to keep Gel intake to a minimum to avoid stomach probs but will drink 'lots' of energy drink.

i realise definitive answer impossible , but all opinions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3 stars (average)
    Personally I tend to take them at miles 6, 12, 18 and another one then around 22-24 miles. But they are isotonic gels so don't pack quite the same carb punch as other gels. I don't take any before the start and instead sip on a sports drink or bottle of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

1 every 3 miles from mile 9 = 6 total.
    Power Bar Lemon & Lime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pauldry

3 stars (average)
    doing my 20 miler tomorrow and im dreadin it. Esp as most of it will be in the dark. any of the rest of ye run in the dark. Had a go at 20mile a week and a bit ago but only got to 18.7 mile coz got sick and had to stop and a week before that did 18 mile but 2moro the last long one b4 the big un and I just want to do it. I see ppl on this doing miles in 8min 30secs etc but it takes me ages to do one. Have problems with flexibility and tightish hamstrings all the time. Last year the DCM took me 4hr 31mins but this year I have estimated 4hr 48mins though the longest I have ran so far this year is 3hr 38mins for the 18.7miler. Cant wait till big day though and I hope I stay injury free the crowd gives you such a big lift on the day and the supporters are great. Looking at the long range forecast and it is looking cold and wet at present.

jb-ski wrote: »
    every 25 minutes from Start?? or a what point would you suggest taking 1st gel?

I took my first one about 20 mins before the start and then every 5k. I think that's 9 in total, I had thought it was 11 but probably the brain playing tricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    pauldry wrote: »
    doing my 20 miler tomorrow and im dreadin it. Esp as most of it will be in the dark. any of the rest of ye run in the dark. Had a go at 20mile a week and a bit ago but only got to 18.7 mile coz got sick and had to stop and a week before that did 18 mile but 2moro the last long one b4 the big un and I just want to do it. I see ppl on this doing miles in 8min 30secs etc but it takes me ages to do one. Have problems with flexibility and tightish hamstrings all the time. Last year the DCM took me 4hr 31mins but this year I have estimated 4hr 48mins though the longest I have ran so far this year is 3hr 38mins for the 18.7miler.

If you've already done the marathon you know you can cover the distance. I don't think you're going to get much benefit from doing 20 miles now, just two weeks out from the run. You should be giving your body time to recover, and cutting down the mileage instead.

Also, if you are going to run it, don't run it at marathon pace. Your long runs should be run slower than your race pace. If you run 20 miles at race pace today you will not recover completely before the marathon.

doing my 20 miler tomorrow and im dreadin it. Esp as most of it will be in the dark. any of the rest of ye run in the dark. Had a go at 20mile a week and a bit ago but only got to 18.7 mile coz got sick and had to stop and a week before that did 18 mile but 2moro the last long one b4 the big un and I just want to do it. I see ppl on this doing miles in 8min 30secs etc but it takes me ages to do one. Have problems with flexibility and tightish hamstrings all the time. Last year the DCM took me 4hr 31mins but this year I have estimated 4hr 48mins though the longest I have ran so far this year is 3hr 38mins for the 18.7miler. Cant wait till big day though and I hope I stay injury free the crowd gives you such a big lift on the day and the supporters are great. Looking at the long range forecast and it is looking cold and wet at present.

I would strongly advise against running 20 miles two weeks before a marathon. It takes the body between 3 and 4 weeks to recover from a 20 mile run and running for 3:38 last week should be more than enough preparation to get you round.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    Woddle wrote: »
    I took my first one about 20 mins before the start and then every 5k. I think that's 9 in total, I had thought it was 11 but probably the brain playing tricks.

They say on the packets to take one 10 minutes before starting exercise and then another every 20 minutes. The ones you had though were potentially just flavoured goo, but I think you got the genuine ones with the caffeine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Cartman78

4 stars (good)
    Badbark wrote: »
    I would strongly advise against running 20 miles two weeks before a marathon. It takes the body between 3 and 4 weeks to recover from a 20 mile run and running for 3:38 last week should be more than enough preparation to get you round.

At this stage, if you have tight hammys, I would recommend for a sports massage or dry needling rather than doing a 20 mile run

4 stars (good)
    dowlinj wrote: »
    They do seem to be pimping their product as much as they can. For instance, I don't see any particular reason to take gels before hand as opposed to a sports drink, and 10 does seem like a lot.
    That's what I was planning as well. I bought a pile of them on Saturday, but I realise now, that I've only three with caffeine. From what they are saying, the caffeine improves the takeup rate. So, I'm thinking I might use ones with caffeine only, though the range of flavours is a bit limited. Also, the PowerBar gels are only slightly larger than HighFive. There's very little difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

4 stars (good)
    Starting to really get in the humour for Dublin now. I absolutely always look forward to this race but when I'm in reasonable shape it's even more of an attraction. Haven't really had long to get ready for this after an ultra in the summer, but things have come around in the last couple of weeks and my last 'blast' yesterday went better than I could have hoped for. I haven't actually raced a marathon in a few years and so this should be fun from that point of view at least. Have a pb of 2:46 to shoot at...that could be tricky, but a decent first half would give me a shot.

The gradual wind-down starts now ...

Done 12.5 last night and felt good after it.its really a discipline issue with me to restrain myself from letting my keys take off by themselves.
    Anyway 12.5 miles average pace 9.35 min/mile so going the right way.
    Might be too late for this year but its a learning curve.
    Slan
    S

Dry needling as "Cartman78" suggested is def an option or else a deep tissue massage on those tight hamstrings and calves....- this would be of more benefit than another 20 mile run...
    Just to be aware if you do avail of dry needling it will prevent you from training for a day or two..but it can release muscle knots alot quicker and more effectively than a general massage,,,,either way therapist will advise you on which is best for you...

Mick Rice wrote: »
    Starting to really get in the humour for Dublin now. I absolutely always look forward to this race but when I'm in reasonable shape it's even more of an attraction. Haven't really had long to get ready for this after an ultra in the summer, but things have come around in the last couple of weeks and my last 'blast' yesterday went better than I could have hoped for. I haven't actually raced a marathon in a few years and so this should be fun from that point of view at least. Have a pb of 2:46 to shoot at...that could be tricky, but a decent first half would give me a shot.

The gradual wind-down starts now ...

Me too even though I'm not running, maybe this can add to the good humour
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056057622

• Advertisement

I've checked the official site and found that the water bottles will be 250ml but can't find any info on the Energise sports drinks. Does anyone know the amount of ml in these drinks supplied during the marathon?

Advertisement