Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Ardsbeg wrote: »
    p.s. p.s. this running **** is addictive :D

Join the club :p

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

doin DCM nd it'll be my first marathon so have couple of queries bout the negative effect of doin the extra 6.2 miles and the positive effect of the race day marathon atmosphere and pace setters..
    basically do these opposites balance each other out

also i'm lookin for guidance on target time from experienced marathoners not on mcmillan calculator.

done my 3rd 10miler in 75mins,
    my target half marathon is 1hr40mins
    my first 16 miler in 2hr20mins nd 18miler in 2hr40mins
    as ya can see my final miles really get the worse of me or is this normal for training runs
    my target for DM is sub 4hrs but my secret goal is sub 3hr37mins cos thats what my friend got last year in his first marathon..
    do ya think the latter time is achievable or will i run myself into the ground chasing this time. it's basically will i go wit 3:45 or4:00 group

Ardsberg, you haven't really given enough info (weekly mileage, general fitness before you began the program etc etc) for someone to give you a reliable prediction but on the basis of what you have said I'll give you my thoughts for what they are worth although I would stress that there are a lot of good coaches on boards and I am not one of them! As you will probably already know a lot of programs suggest that you should run your LSR's at about 1 minute per mile slower than goal pace which in your case would indicate a goal pace of 8min/mile - 3:30 marathon. I however think a minute is too much to try and take off your LSR pace especially when you are adding on 6 miles. Your tempo runs and half marathon time if you manage it would certainly point to a sub 3:40 marathon at some point in you running career however I always hate to think of anyone potentially setting themselves up for a disappointment especially on their first marathon . A target time of 8:37, which corresponds to 8:12 min/mile based on 26.5 miles, is a serious clip. Personally speaking I really think your focus should be on your own race and not that of your friend and in that respect I would prefer to see you targeting a 3:45 at best. I firmly believe that any marathon completed is a good marathon and a sub 4 hour marathon is a particularly good one especially for a first marathon. Although I think it is not unreasonable of you to think you could keep up with a 3:45 pacer certainly for a good portion of the race I do say this with a word of caution as I know nothing about you but on the other hand you have some good runs done and you have plenty of time to bang in two or three twenty milers. The most important thing is that you enjoy it (safely) and that you don't allow an unnecessary disappointment to spoil the experience. The nutrition comment is also very important. If you are not already using them you should find a gel that agrees with you and consider using as many as one every four or five miles if you can stomach them. Krusty Clowns advice is good advise and raises a valid concern about the fact that you slow down towards the end of your long run although hopefully this will improve with a few more long runs. The danger of a 3:45 pace is that you risk a blow out which is horrible when it happens however if you stick to the the three thirds rule hopefully you wont go too far wrong. Basically you should feel like you are holding yourself back for the first third, then running at a steady but comfortable pace for the second third and so being able to take the strain of the final third without a significant drop in pace. By the way just to explain this strategy it doesn't mean you run three different paces but rather you try and pick a pace that you can more or less maintain throughout. Post your 20 mile reports over the next few weeks and you might get some more guidance. I'd be interested to follow your progress.
    BTW, I'm doing my twelvth marathon in Dublin and would take your hand off for a sub 3:40 which in my case would be a PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Anyone ever done training runs on the DCM route between Chapelizod Gate and Milltown?
    Am planning to do this early enough tomorrow morning, I'd assume that'd be a better option than during the day?
    Is the traffic much heavier around Crumlin/Walkinstown areas later in the day?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    I often do it between Chapelizod and Terenure, Sunday's are obviously much quieter and easier to do it but if you're doing it before 9am you should be ok traffic from Rialto onwards can be pretty heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

4 stars (good)
    Time|Name|Comments|Actual|
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    Sub 2:35|Heffsarmy|Anything faster will be a bonus, first time running Dublin
    Sub 2:45|Tunguska|Beat last years time
    2.55|smmoore79||
    2.55|pablot|3.01min in dub last year. its funny how the brain gets tired and you forget about that little point 2 of a mile at the end and cant figure where the sub 3 went:)|
    2.55|Timmaay|1st Marathon, and I'm only just back from breaking my shoulderblade so this will be fun!
    2:59:59|Elfoyzer|3:29 p.b (2008) but disappointing DCM last year following IM Switzerland, just know I can run better than that!
    2:59:59|Bloody Nipples|4th Marathon, ran 3:15 in Cork, hopefully knock 15-20 mins off by increasing the mileage|
    2:59:xx|donothoponpop|Third (time lucky) Dublin, will hold onto the pace group for as long as I can!|
    2:59:xx|misty floyd|2nd Dublin, last year was a disaster. 3:00:30 in April in Rotterdam but gone down hill hard since then. 12 weeks to get back to fitness and a little fitter again ;). 100% effort|

Sub 3.15|||
    3.03|earlyevening|Just want to edge a little better than last year's 3:07|
    3:14:59| Bart simpson|2nd marathon, PB is 3:29:14 in DCM09
    3:14:59|NeedsTraining|6th marathon, first Dublin. Would like to break 3:10 but don't think it is possible for me this year|
    3:15|Condo131|20th Marathon, 1st since Dub '03. Hope to make Boston M55 (3:45) May adjust target down|
    3:15|MaroonTam|1st Marathon. Its a Push but training for it (might end up 3:20)|
    3:15 |Potsy11 |5 Marathon. Ran 3.27 last year. Got onto training a bit late so hope to be in better condition|
    3:14:50|Krusty_Clown|3:15 Pacer (Provisional - pending approval and non-injury)
    3:14:50|Rebelrunner|4th marathon & would be delighted to break ambitious 3.15.
    3:14:50|ronanmac|An ambitious jump from last year's 3:55 but if McMillan says it can be done :D. Training for 3:10 so as to be able to run 3:15 without too much of a fade at the end
    Sub 3:30|||
    3.19.59|Diggy78|Might be ambitious trying to shave 5 mins off last year but why try to break 3:22, :)|
    3:27:29 |Sharktale | 9th Marathon, Ran 3:45 Barcelona '10, Hoping for the best |
    3:29:59 |Jackyback | 2nd Marathon, looking to shave 26 minutes off my Cork time from earlier in the year|
    3:29:59 |Cartman78 | 4th Marathon, Ran 3:45 in GLR in May taking it very easy. Hoping that more mileage + more effort on the day = Sub 3:30|
    sub 3:30|SUNGOD| after over 12 months of injuries i just need a target race
    3:29:59|Plodder|5th marathon, previous best 3:53. Training harder now
    3:29:59|Mr Marenghi|2nd Dublin marathon, training a lot harder and i think a bit more intelligently, would love to go sub 3.30
    3:29:59|menoscemo| 2nd DCM 4:15 to 3:30 is a big ask but training is much better. Hope to beat the course this time.|
    3:29:59|Peckham| Hopefully will be doing the 3:30 pace group, so looking forward to cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)|
    3:29:59|TFBubendorfer| Hopefully will be the other quarter of the same pace group and looking forward to seeing Peckham cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)||||
    3:29:59|RedB|3rd DCM. 4:50 last year but ran 3:58 in GLR and hope to increase the mileage and intensity. In for a penny......|
    3:29:59|LeCheile| Yet another pacer:)|
    |||
    Sub 3:45|||
    3.3x|BrokenMan|First time out and its probably ambitious.Going to go for it anyway|
    3.3x|Moycullen1|12th Marathon, anything under 3:40 would be a PB|
    3.40|Doledude86|2nd Dublin Marathon went 3:56 last year would like to go 3:40 this year|
    3:4X|sarsfieldsrock|Be the best I can!|
    3:44:59| Louthandproud| Setting an ambitious target after finishing in 4:12 last year, feel I can achieve if I get the training done |
    3:45|itsalltrue|there we go|
    3:45|Tipp man running|Injury permitting hope to break this time for the first time:)|
    3:45|Aimman|And I'm blaming Oisin if I don't, cos he's giving me a jockey back!|
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    3.55|RayCun|First time out, so not too ambitious (I hope)|
    3.59.59|Hawkwing|3rd marathon, 3rd Dublin, sub-4 or die trying :o|
    3:50|digger2d2|First and maybe last so definitely need to break 4 hrs|
    3.55|curraghyid|first marathon but i reckon acheivable withthe right training|
    3.59|ElectraX|first marathon so thats my dream time|
    3.59|RubyK| a first-timer, 3.59.59 would make my year ;)|
    3.59|ROFno1| First-timer as well so 3.59.59 would be great. But just to finish will be a great achievement|
    3.59|MitreSize5|First marathon, would be delighted with anything under 4
    3.59|opus|Running with a friend to provide moral support, will try to get us round in under 4|
    3:59|shotgunmcos| Pacer. Will be crossing the line in 3:59 (chip not clock) folks so either finish with us or sprint ahead of us in the last mile to get your sub 4 ;)|
    3:59|mfdc| 2nd time, just want to run to the end really; blew up very badly last year. |
    Sub 4.30|||
    4.29:59|Brophya2007|First Marathon all going well, Sub 4:30 would be nice|
    4.29.59|Blueskye|Died an absolute death at DCM last year so would be very happy with 4.29
    4.2?:??|Racheljev|Crap time last year so want a 4 something time this year!|
    4:15:00|rovers_runner|Halfway between my "potential" from 5k/10k and my most recent time|
    4.24.55|Rainbow Kirby|2nd marathon, 2nd Dublin - training has sucked, faster than last year would be nice.|
    4.20.00|jcsmum|1st timer, so would be thrilled to run the whole route|
    Going for a Finish|||
    4:30 to 5:00|Meathcountysec|First Only Marathon ever, just want to run all the way|
    N/A|Puck|First marathon, I don't care about time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    I often do it between Chapelizod and Terenure, Sunday's are obviously much quieter and easier to do it but if you're doing it before 9am you should be ok traffic from Rialto onwards can be pretty heavy.

Thanks RQ, will try an early start so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Can I be added into table. It's my first marathon and just aiming to finish.

Well done to all the contributors. Some great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||
    2.55|pablot|3.01min in dub last year. its funny how the brain gets tired and you forget about that little point 2 of a mile at the end and cant figure where the sub 3 went:)|
    2.55|Timmaay|1st Marathon, and I'm only just back from breaking my shoulderblade so this will be fun!
    2:59:59|Elfoyzer|3:29 p.b (2008) but disappointing DCM last year following IM Switzerland, just know I can run better than that!
    2:59:59|Bloody Nipples|4th Marathon, ran 3:15 in Cork, hopefully knock 15-20 mins off by increasing the mileage|
    2:59:xx|donothoponpop|Third (time lucky) Dublin, will hold onto the pace group for as long as I can!|
    2:59:xx|misty floyd|2nd Dublin, last year was a disaster. 3:00:30 in April in Rotterdam but gone down hill hard since then. 12 weeks to get back to fitness and a little fitter again ;). 100% effort|

Sub 3.15|||
    3:14:59|NeedsTraining|6th marathon, first Dublin. Would like to break 3:10 but don't think it is possible for me this year|
    3:15|Condo131|20th Marathon, 1st since Dub '03. Hope to make Boston M55 (3:45) May adjust target down|
    3:15|MaroonTam|1st Marathon. Its a Push but training for it (might end up 3:20)|
    3:15 |Potsy11 |5 Marathon. Ran 3.27 last year. Got onto training a bit late so hope to be in better condition|
    3:14:50|ronanmac|An ambitious jump from last year's 3:55 but if McMillan says it can be done :D. Training for 3:10 so as to be able to run 3:15 without too much of a fade at the end
    3.19.59|Diggy78|Might be ambitious trying to shave 5 mins off last year but why try to break 3:22, :)|
    3:27:29 |Sharktale | 9th Marathon, Ran 3:45 Barcelona '10, Hoping for the best |
    3:29:59 |Jackyback | 2nd Marathon, looking to shave 26 minutes off my Cork time from earlier in the year|
    3:29:59 |Cartman78 | 4th Marathon, Ran 3:45 in GLR in May taking it very easy. Hoping that more mileage + more effort on the day = Sub 3:30|
    3:29:59|Mr Marenghi|2nd Dublin marathon, training a lot harder and i think a bit more intelligently, would love to go sub 3.30
    3:29:59|menoscemo| 2nd DCM 4:15 to 3:30 is a big ask but training is much better. Hope to beat the course this time.|
    3:29:59|Peckham| Hopefully will be doing the 3:30 pace group, so looking forward to cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)|
    3:29:59|TFBubendorfer| Hopefully will be the other quarter of the same pace group and looking forward to seeing Peckham cracking the whip when the pain hits around UCD ;)||||
    3:29:59|RedB|3rd DCM. 4:50 last year but ran 3:58 in GLR and hope to increase the mileage and intensity. In for a penny......|
    |||
    3.3x|BrokenMan|First time out and its probably ambitious.Going to go for it anyway|
    3.40|Doledude86|2nd Dublin Marathon went 3:56 last year would like to go 3:40 this year|
    3:44:59| Louthandproud| Setting an ambitious target after finishing in 4:12 last year, feel I can achieve if I get the training done |
    3:45|Tipp man running|Injury permitting hope to break this time for the first time:)|
    3:45|Aimman|And I'm blaming Oisin if I don't, cos he's giving me a jockey back!|
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    3.59|ROFno1| First-timer as well so 3.59.59 would be great. But just to finish will be a great achievement|
    3.59|opus|Running with a friend to provide moral support, will try to get us round in under 4|
    3:59|shotgunmcos| Pacer. Will be crossing the line in 3:59 (chip not clock) folks so either finish with us or sprint ahead of us in the last mile to get your sub 4 ;)|
    3:59|mfdc| 2nd time, just want to run to the end really; blew up very badly last year. |
    Sub 4.30|||
    4.29.59|Blueskye|Died an absolute death at DCM last year so would be very happy with 4.29
    4:15:00|rovers_runner|Halfway between my "potential" from 5k/10k and my most recent time|
    4.24.55|Rainbow Kirby|2nd marathon, 2nd Dublin - training has sucked, faster than last year would be nice.|
    Going for a Finish|||
    4:30 to 5:00|Meathcountysec|First Only Marathon ever, just want to run all the way|
    N/A|munsterbear|first marathon and just aiming to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

4 stars (good)
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||

Sub 3.15|||
    |||
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    3:59|christeb| Pacer. Shoe-horning myself in here with the legend that is shotgunMCOS, looking forward to meeting (and verbally abusing) you all on the day :)|
    Sub 4.30|||
    Going for a Finish|||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Hadnt planned on Dublin , so havent been reading this thread.
    Have chickened out of Venice so I guess Dubln it is.

Cant remember what I did last year ? 4.15
    Dont think I have enough training done to finally get my sub 4 yet. so if someone could put me in for around 4.15ish again . I reckon I wont be far off.
    I promise I will read the thread back.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

christeb wrote: »
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||

Sub 3.15|||
    |||
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    3:59|christeb| Pacer. Shoe-horning myself in here with the legend that is shotgunMCOS, looking forward to meeting (and verbally abusing) you all on the day :)|
    Sub 4.30|||
    4.29.59|Red Belly| 1st marathon. Finish would be good. Sub 4:30 would be great|
    Going for a Finish|||

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

3 stars (average)
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||

Sub 3.15|||
    |||
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    Sub 4.30|||
    4.29.59|Red Belly|1st marathon. Finish would be good. Sub 4:30 would be great|
    4:15:00|hot to trot|
    Going for a Finish|||

Added Red Belly and Hot to trot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||

Sub 3.15|||
    3:14:49|robinph|I know I can run faster, but I know I'll not have trained enough. Plan is to just follow the clown to stop me going off too fast and then leave him for dust in the latter stages. Hopefully|
    |||
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    Sub 4.30|||
    Going for a Finish|||

Only just realised that I'd not posted here so far.

Onto the most important issues though, does anyone know what pub we're going to afterwards yet? Want to see if I can find a hotel that's not too far away so as not to overwork my legs too much afterwards.

4 stars (good)
    robinph wrote: »
    Onto the most important issues though, does anyone know what pub we're going to afterwards yet? Want to see if I can find a hotel that's not too far away so as not to overwork my legs too much afterwards.

Pacers are in the Conrad again, so I'd guess the hotel bar?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    Any cheap room rates available for friends of the pacers. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ardsbeg

3 stars (average)
    Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Post your 20 mile reports over the next few weeks and you might get some more guidance. I'd be interested to follow your progress.
    BTW, I'm doing my twelvth marathon in Dublin and would take your hand off for a sub 3:40 which in my case would be a PB.

Done my 20miler in 3hrs5mins.. 2 10mile routes at exactly 1hr30mins wit 5min break in between to change top(got pissed on) nd take on fluids/calories..felt good nd was in line wit my pace i planned..few hills that were killer but that shud stand to me..
    i'll see how the half marathon goes nd i'll know how i stand then

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Pacers are in the Conrad again, so I'd guess the hotel bar?
    Hoe about a bar with a bit of life in it? Kehoes? O'Donoghues? Somewhere like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Market Bar? Nice and roomy, plus people can eat (very tasty tapas) if they feel like it. I know I'll want to stuff my gob a few hours after the race!

3 stars (average)
    I approve of both of those suggestions, Market Bar gets my vote as it does food and has loads of room. Bit more of a trek from the finish line though.

4 stars (good)
    Hoe about a bar with a bit of life in it? Kehoes? O'Donoghues? Somewhere like that?

I'd have thought that any bar full of sweaty post-marathoners (only some showered pacers!) will have plenty of 'life' in it.
    I vote for anywhere with seats (and food?), not too far from the finish line. I suppose at that time of day things won't be crowded anyway. An early decision is good, means people are less likely to get caught up in other arrangements.

How about this? Give it to Sunday evening for people to post suggestions, then do a poll?

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »
    I'd have thought that any bar full of sweaty post-marathoners (only some showered pacers!) will have plenty of 'life' in it.
    I vote for anywhere with seats (and food?), not too far from the finish line. I suppose at that time of day things won't be crowded anyway. An early decision is good, means people are less likely to get caught up in other arrangements.

The Conrad is great before the race, but not so cozy afterwards. Market Bar sounds like a great suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Almac06

robinph wrote: »
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||

Sub 3.15|||
    3:14:49|robinph|I know I can run faster, but I know I'll not have trained enough. Plan is to just follow the clown to stop me going off too fast and then leave him for dust in the latter stages. Hopefully|
    3:29:59|Almac06| 2nd Dublin, ran 3:58 last year and am hoping to break 3:30 this year - May need a jockey-back for the last few:)|

|||
    [COLOR=re|d]Sub 3:45[/COLOR]|||
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    Sub 4.30|||
    Going for a Finish|||

Only just realised that I'd not posted here so far.

2nd Marathon, ran Dublin last year, 3:58. Swore never again but here I am. Have done training run 20 Miler recently in 2:41 so hopefully in with a shout but I still remember those last 6 miles. Good Luck to All!!

4 stars (good)
    |||
    Sub 3.00|||
    2.55|smmoore79||

Sub 3.15|||
    3:29:59|Almac06|2nd Dublin, ran 3:58 last year and am hoping to break 3:30 this year - May need a jockey-back for the last fewsmile.gif|
    |||
    Sub 4.00|||
    Sub 4.30|||
    Going for a Finish|||

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not running it this year but regarding pubs how about the long stone just down the road, McTurcaills, or even the pubs on baggot st as your jsut down the road from it

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Done my 20miler in 3hrs5mins.. 2 10mile routes at exactly 1hr30mins wit 5min break in between to change top(got pissed on) nd take on fluids/calories..felt good nd was in line wit my pace i planned..few hills that were killer but that shud stand to me..
    i'll see how the half marathon goes nd i'll know how i stand then

That's a solid run. Good luck with the half marathon. On your next 20 see if you can include a few marathon pace miles towards the end of the run. If you could manage three or four or five 8:30's it would be a good sign but dont worry unduly about it if you cant. It might be tough but it will stand to you. The Pfitzinger Douglas (Advanced Marathoning) programs encourage you to incorporate some MP miles in almost all your long runs. Its a very highly regarded book by the way if you are looking for a good book on distance running.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Is it considered bad form to jump in an run with a mate for 10 miles or so during the Dublin marathon?

3 stars (average)
    Sport101 wrote: »
    Is it considered bad form to jump in an run with a mate for 10 miles or so during the Dublin marathon?
    Yes. It's also against the rules. Expect to be grabbed by a marshall and hoisted to the side of the road and off the course.

3 stars (average)
    I never noticed that the organizers have posted a recorded video of the entire route here. Great way to visualize the task ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Yes. It's also against the rules. Expect to be grabbed by a marshall and hoisted to the side of the road and off the course.

Really? Against what rules? Pacing? I would expect if you tried to finish the race you'd get grabbed/rugby tackled by a marshall alright, but hardly along the middle of the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

4 stars (good)
    I never noticed that the organizers have posted a recorded video of the entire route here. Great way to visualize the task ahead of you.

Like it... Gets the nerves going just watching that...

40 Days to go to the big day.... BRING IT ON....

Advertisement