Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf price chitchat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    The last time I dealt with them I was waiting 3 weeks to get
    Paid. The only way I got the money which wasn't a lot was to post on their Facebook page. Was paid that night. Calves dont leave the yard here now with out the money in my hand

A guy I buy heifer calves off has to have the money transferred into his account before before he does the movement or gives the calves.

He's a fair distance from here so I usually do the transfer a day or 2 before without seeing them.

Infairness the calves are always dead on and realistically priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

nhg wrote: »
    We vaccinated 20 calves all around 4 weeks old with 1st shot of Bovipast RSP & 25ml of Vecoxan yesterday, for past number of years gave Bovilis IBR live inter nasally at same time but someone suggested not to bother unless we have IBR issues. Now wondering if we should have given the Bovilis IBR as well..... Dairy calf to beef system.
    I give both here. I think when you are at it you may as well do the full job. The only reason I wouldn't bother would be if the Vet told me not to.I noticed a great improvement in the health of the calves since I started vaccinating 2 years ago.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭nhg

I give both here. I think when you are at it you may as well do the full job. The only reason I wouldn't bother would be if the Vet told me not to.I noticed a great improvement in the health of the calves since I started vaccinating 2 years ago.:)

Do you just give to Bovilis IBR the once or do you follow with a booster at 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭thetiredfarmer

Do you just give to Bovilis IBR the once or do you follow with a booster at 3 months
    I follow up purely because I'm told to.(professional advice) I'd hate to loose them later after getting them that far. If anything is wrong with an animal, it's the first question the Vet asks. "Were they vaccinated?" Vaccinations have seriously cut down on any antibiotic treatments for the the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭older by the day

Hi, sorry for changing the subject. Going buying a bull for the dairy cows soon. Always Angus, but tempted to try a saler. Would the calfs be more saleable. I don't see many for sale down here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

I follow up purely because I'm told to.(professional advice) I'd hate to loose them later after getting them that far. If anything is wrong with an animal, it's the first question the Vet asks. "Were they vaccinated?" Vaccinations have seriously cut down on any antibiotic treatments for the the last few years.

You're talking about less Nuflor, or such, I presume?

Could you quantify how much less?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

We vaccinated 20 calves all around 4 weeks old with 1st shot of Bovipast RSP & 25ml of Vecoxan yesterday, for past number of years gave Bovilis IBR live inter nasally at same time but someone suggested not to bother unless we have IBR issues. Now wondering if we should have given the Bovilis IBR as well..... Dairy calf to beef system.

Were you advised to go to that level with Vecoxan? Seems very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Hi, sorry for changing the subject. Going buying a bull for the dairy cows soon. Always Angus, but tempted to try a saler. Would the calfs be more saleable. I don't see many for sale down here

=============================
    A lot of Suckler men I know are gone right off Angus for Suckler herd.
    The place is full of Low Low Calving Difficulty, with resultant poor growth.
    I tried a number of Angus Calves in the last few yrs. They were slow growers.
    A Saler any day. Good to calve unassisted, Good in bad weather & can bring up a good calf.

Good loser wrote: »
    Were you advised to go to that level with Vecoxan? Seems very high.

1ml per 2.5kg body weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Pervension is better than cure.

Only learned this year, if giving an intra nasal vaccine use a auto vaccine gun and put the little plastic bit on the end very quick and easy. Used to be messing around with 2ml syringes. Baffled as to how I never considered it before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Whitehead bulls AI 10 days old 250 cash
    Friesian bulls 2 weeks old 85 cash
    Lim heifer 10 days old 250 cash
    Whitehead heifers AI and stock bull 200 cash

Cards or transfer never done until cheque clears, however rightly or wrongly that is by the book

dar31 wrote: »
    Pervension is better than cure.

Only learned this year, if giving an intra nasal vaccine use a auto vaccine gun and put the little plastic bit on the end very quick and easy. Used to be messing around with 2ml syringes. Baffled as to how I never considered it before

Always used the auto vaccine gun with a mini pliers at the ready in case the plastic nozzle comes off. Read over the weekend that it’s supposed to be 1ml up each nostril - hard enough to get the 2ml up one nostril let alone 1ml up each nostril...

We use a similar auto gun for the tribovax 10

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Do many on here vaccinate calves for coccidiosis?

Is it expensive per calf?

Do it here. I would think it’s essential regardless of cost. The bother is you don’t see the damage with coccidiosis till it’s done. Had a 6 week old Albert Friesian heifer calf drop dead last year and after a few days the other calves in the pen started the bloody scour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Always used the auto vaccine gun with a mini pliers at the ready in case the plastic nozzle comes off. Read over the weekend that it’s supposed to be 1ml up each nostril - hard enough to get the 2ml up one nostril let alone 1ml up each nostril...

We use a similar auto gun for the tribovax 10
    The intranasal that we us (Rispoval RS+Pi3) is a single 2ml shot. I wouldn't like to be trying to get a ml into each nostril.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    The intranasal that we us (Rispoval RS+Pi3) is a single 2ml shot. I wouldn't like to be trying to get a ml into each nostril.

What all vaccines do you give your calves Base?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What all vaccines do you give your calves Base?
    We only give Rispoval RS+Pi3 and Bovicox when they arrive here. We been doing it for years and seldom have an issue with pneumonia or bad scours. Deep straw bedding, good ventilation and a proper hygiene routine around feeding/teat feeders make a huge difference too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

jd_12345 wrote: »
    Do it here. I would think it’s essential regardless of cost. The bother is you don’t see the damage with coccidiosis till it’s done. Had a 6 week old Albert Friesian heifer calf drop dead last year and after a few days the other calves in the pen started the bloody scour

A disease of intensification my vet says, if we didn't dose here our losses would be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    We only give Rispoval RS+Pi3 and Bovicox when they arrive here. We been doing it for years and seldom have an issue with pneumonia or bad scours. Deep straw bedding, good ventilation and a proper hygiene routine around feeding/teat feeders make a huge difference too.

Did the calves (sucklers) with the the RS & IBR as per beep, didn’t notice any difference until we bought in a few extra calves which had to be treated for pneumonia
    Was thinking on doing same again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭stanflt

Westcoast perseus.
    39.1% male and 4,915 calving. That's very unusual. Tends to be close to 50/50 for most bulls.

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1418736378

Where do I find this info-

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Bandon was bad today for fr calves. Aa/ he seemed good, BB or charlaoisx were mental. Month old charolais made 460 I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Mooooo wrote: »
    Bandon was bad today for fr calves. Aa/ he seemed good, BB or charlaoisx were mental. Month old charolais made 460 I think
    On the Fr calves: Is it linked to possible lack of sailings or glut of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I'd say that's exactly it. No boat going till Sat this week I think. Hard to tell on the phone but I thought a share of the fr sold at 30 to 50 would be better buys than a share of the AA sold at 200

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

stanflt wrote: »
    Where do I find this info-

It's on ICBF.com. Click on animal search and put the bulls code in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Very easy sell any Saler calf we ever had here but they were all AI. You'd want to know your breed/breeder to get a good bull, the breed has a reputation of being a bit flighty. My vet said once " A Limousin will fight like it's for its life, a Saler will fight like it's to the death!"
    A good hairy Aubrac will give you ease of calving, quality calves, and an easy managed bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pfiddlesticks

Paid €325 for bb4369 2week old heifer calves the other off a dairy farmer. Am I mad?? Have a small suckler herd only my second year to bucket rear a few calves. First time posting here enjoying reading true all the chat ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Paid €325 for bb4369 2week old heifer calves the other off a dairy farmer. Am I mad?? Have a small suckler herd only my second year to bucket rear a few calves. First time posting here enjoying reading true all the chat ðŸ‘

What type of land have you. If your land is good enough you can pick virtually ant breed so its a case of picking value

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Mooooo wrote: »
    I'd say that's exactly it. No boat going till Sat this week I think. Hard to tell on the phone but I thought a share of the fr sold at 30 to 50 would be better buys than a share of the AA sold at 200

There was an awful lot of young calves in Bandon, rubbishy calves that your not going to buy to bucket rear, well you can try if u want but from personal experience you'll loose a few.

In gortatlea there was serious fr calves, €195 for good square ones.
    Castleisland was supposed to be dearer again.

I saw calves during the week out of Castleisland 2 weeks ago. These square calves that just don't exist in Cork anymore..... €80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Well done and best of luck with them. Are you going to bred them or beef them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Looking at Carnaross today any good calf was a good price.. bwh & AA bulls making over €300. Fair enough FR bulls were around the €100. Back to €5 for the rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    There was an awful lot of young calves in Bandon, rubbishy calves that your not going to buy to bucket rear, well you can try if u want but from personal experience you'll loose a few.

In gortatlea there was serious fr calves, €195 for good square ones.
    Castleisland was supposed to be dearer again.

I saw calves during the week out of Castleisland 2 weeks ago. These square calves that just don't exist in Cork anymore..... €80

In Castleisland today there was HEX heifers sold 300 kgs at 540-580 euro. In Kilmallock Friesian yearlings from 270-330 kgs sold for 460-580 euro. That what I be.buying. mind first two Friesian calves into Castleisland today sold for 130 euro and they were flakers. As against that a bunch of Friesians 250 kgs SD for 460 good squarish ones two.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement