Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I wonder what the odds of getting faster "rapid" charging for the 38 Ioniq if so!!

Doesn't the Kona also come in a 39kWh version which has a similarly rubbish rapid charging ability

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Well my new 12v battery cured my maladies for about 6 months,booster pack now lives permanently in the car,plugging into the power supply socket works btw rather than popping the bonnet for the battery,.I think I may make a new battery mount and fit a big ass deep cycle battery,I've also gone back to using the time clock I put on my charger.

The ultimate solution is for Hyundai to program the f@#ker to check the battery voltage every 6 or so hours not at 72 hours and 11.6v

The only bug bear the car has really

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

adunis wrote: »
    Well my new 12v battery cured my maladies for about 6 months,booster pack now lives permanently in the car,plugging into the power supply socket works btw rather than popping the bonnet for the battery,.I think I may make a new battery mount and fit a big ass deep cycle battery,I've also gone back to using the time clock I put on my charger.

The ultimate solution is for Hyundai to program the f@#ker to check the battery voltage every 6 or so hours not at 72 hours and 11.6v

The only bug bear the car has really

TLDR, auxiliary battery saver kicks in on what seems like a timed schedule, rather than when the battery voltage gets low, and runs for about 20 minutes. This works until the voltage goes too low for aux battery saver to kick in and they you're goosed.

Short trips seem not to have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

TLDR, auxiliary battery saver kicks in on what seems like a timed schedule, rather than when the battery voltage gets low, and runs for about 20 minutes. This works until the voltage goes too low for aux battery saver to kick in and they you're goosed.

Short trips seem not to have helped.

Just to go off on a tangent BK,have you found a dealer Hyundai dealer who isn't absolutely useless yet ?,due my 90k "service" I was gonna try Barlow's...

Just to go off on a tangent BK,have you found a dealer Hyundai dealer who isn't absolutely useless yet ?,due my 90k "service" I was gonna try Barlow's...

Any chat i've had with the mechanic, Lee, in Bolands Waterford have been positive. Not had a service with them though. Kearys Cork have always felt unprofessional, or "not on my side" with anything issues i've had. I'm doomed to keep using them though. They're minutes away from me, vs an hour+ for an alternative.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

plugging into the power supply socket works btw rather than popping the bonnet for the battery

How's that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,731 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How's that work?

You might be able to charge the 12V battery through the cigarette lighter socket. Very careful with your amps though or the fuse will pop

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    You might be able to charge the 12V battery through the cigarette lighter socket. Very careful with your amps though or the fuse will pop

I just spent a few minutes trying to work out how you could power a battery charger from the 12V socket, which was then used to charge the 12V battery. I thought you were trying to claim a magic loop of free energy :D

liamog wrote: »
    I just spent a few minutes trying to work out how you could power a battery charger from the 12V socket, which was then used to charge the 12V battery. I thought you were trying to claim a magic loop of free energy :D

:D

No, I use one of these beasts for most of my charging needs

f5c3442a-44ed-42fa-9a9f-47d0443a9c53.JPG.webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Doesn't the Kona also come in a 39kWh version which has a similarly rubbish rapid charging ability

Yes, it's essentially the 64kWh pack minus a few cells so the voltage drops. But the taper is still the same (so, whatever the 64kWh would be charging at, the 39kWh is charging at the same amperage but at lower voltage).

An all in all crap "successor" to the legendary Ioniq28. I'd have loved to see an Ioniq with the 64kWh pack. Could have longer range than an S Long Range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes, it's essentially the 64kWh pack minus a few cells so the voltage drops. But the taper is still the same (so, whatever the 64kWh would be charging at, the 39kWh is charging at the same amperage but at lower voltage).

An all in all crap "successor" to the legendary Ioniq28. I'd have loved to see an Ioniq with the 64kWh pack. Could have longer range than an S Long Range.

Ioniq38 was a massive let down following on from the fabulous 28.

Also shows how important it is for people to do their research before purchasing a new EV these days - I see the Ioniq38 are going for similar or more money than an ID3 - Ioniq38 being an inferior car and not just because you're getting a 20KWh smaller battery!

Orebro wrote: »
    Ioniq38 was a massive let down following on from the fabulous 28.

Also shows how important it is for people to do their research before purchasing a new EV these days - I see the Ioniq38 are going for similar or more money than an ID3 - Ioniq38 being an inferior car and not just because you're getting a 20KWh smaller battery!

More (if not much more) boot space. That's about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭zg3409

This socket is disconnected when car is asleep so I don't see how you could charge car using it.

In terms of car topping itself up, it does this when starting main battery charging and when preheating. Latest ioniq 28kWh updates seem to top up battery at least once a day when parked and not plugged in. (Vs 72 hours in paper instruction book)
    Main thing is to not leave car awake but not on during unloading shopping or waiting at schools etc. Similar to how the yummy mummies leave their diesel SUVs ticking over outside schools.

zg3409 wrote: »
    This socket is disconnected when car is asleep so I don't see how you could charge car using it.

Beginner's mistake. You need to get that live :D

If there is a mechanical way to access the battery, there's obviously no need for it. But in some cars you can only access the battery by electronic means and if the battery is flat, that no workies!

Tempted to get this from micks, similar to the one Andrew used on his eNiro
    https://www.micksgarage.com/d/battery-testers/products/3510145/battery-guard-bluetooth-monitor

But also awaiting them to restock the noco booster units (good auld brits ruining the supply chain for the rest of us).

Tempted to get this from micks, similar to the one Andrew used on his eNiro
    https://www.micksgarage.com/d/battery-testers/products/3510145/battery-guard-bluetooth-monitor

I have basically the same from China BM2 battery monitor. 23 euro delivered on eBay from China.

They don't charge your battery, and you need to be next to it to get updates and warnings. It does not really solve any issues, but if your battery is dropping say less than 12.3v then it might be worth leaving car plugged in every night and preheat set for every morning, which will cause 2 extra charges to 12v each night.

I have a few batteries I monitor , some in cars, some on small solar panels as spares. It is/was interesting to see how ioniq handles the 12v battery, particularly if you have a night where it fails to lock the charge port and start a charge due to low 12 volt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

fricatus wrote: »
    https://electrek.co/2021/02/17/hyundai-reportedly-set-to-replace-kona-lg-batteries-in-korea/

Could this lead to the recall of the Ioniq 28 kWh in Ireland? What do ye think lads?
    BigAl81 wrote: »
    Wow, I can't be reading that right?

Are they going to replace every battery in every Hyundai EV globally!!?
    slave1 wrote: »
    Result for early Ioniq owners if so
    Kramer wrote: »
    Not necessarily.
    The air cooled 28kWh battery is reputed to have loads of cobalt. That make it very, very robust & able to tolerate 3c charge rates, not really suffer coldgate or rapidgate & ultimately, have less degradation.

New batteries have little to no cobalt & aren't as good as a result.

You could end up with a knobbled, slower charging & less durable battery - it remains to be seen.
    latency89 wrote: »
    Would they get the 38kWh packs? That'd be a win
    Old diesel wrote: »
    Bit premature to talk about forced buybacks....

1) the recall if fully confirmed by Hyundai is for a fault that the Ioniq 28 may not even have - fires are a Kona issue to date.

This article posted in Kona thread
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hyundai-motor-electric-recall-idUKKBN2AO0JS

says...
    The recall applies to nearly 76,000 Kona EVs built between 2018 and 2020, including about 25,000 sold in South Korea. Some Ioniq EV models and Elec City buses are also included in the recall.

I'd say Ioniq 28kWh would be the exception there and wont be included. Its the longest on the market and it would have blown up long before now if it was affected... just guessing there but seems logical.

Seems mainly Kona and then presumably the newer Ioniq are affected? Does the new Ioniq share a battery with the short range Kona and then hence affected?

It's Ioniq38 as they use the same 39kWh battery as the mid range kona EV

Ioniq 28 is bullet proof.

KCross wrote: »
    Seems mainly Kona and then presumably the newer Ioniq are affected? Does the new Ioniq share a battery with the short range Kona and then hence affected?

Seemingly it's all about the cell separators, the 38kWh Ioniq uses the same cells as used in the Kona models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It's Ioniq38 as they use the same 39kWh battery as the mid range kona EV
    Seemingly it's all about the cell separators, the 38kWh Ioniq uses the same cells as used in the Kona models

And I wonder do any other manufacturers use the same cells?

Surely LG Chem have supplied that to others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Between the Bus and the Ioniq - 6 k vehicles seem to be involved. (82,000 vehicles involved - 76,000 of them Konas)

How many Ioniqs EVs have they made????.

Old diesel wrote: »
    How many Ioniqs EVs have they made????.

A lot more than 6k

So I guess only the 39kWh models are affected by this as we expected...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,459 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,459 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wrong thread!

We have one dedicated to the Ioniq 5 over here:

Linky

• Advertisement

Wrong thread!

We have one dedicated to the Ioniq 5 over here:

Linky

I really hate how they've used the ioniq name as their new bev platform name.

Ioniq? Iconic? Ionic? The good ioniq (28)? The bad ioniq (38)? The new ioniq (5)?

The good ioniq (28)? The bad ioniq (38)? The new ioniq (5)?

:D

The new one is certainly not the ugly Ioniq!

KCross wrote: »
    This article posted in Kona thread
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hyundai-motor-electric-recall-idUKKBN2AO0JS

says...
    The recall applies to nearly 76,000 Kona EVs built between 2018 and 2020, including about 25,000 sold in South Korea. Some Ioniq EV models and Elec City buses are also included in the recall.

I'd say Ioniq 28kWh would be the exception there and wont be included. Its the longest on the market and it would have blown up long before now if it was affected... just guessing there but seems logical.

And Hyundai is now set to replace the entire battery in:

75,680 Kona electric cars
    5,716 Ioniq electric cars
    305 Elec City buses

From
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56156801

if I had a 28 I wouldnt be getting the replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

if I had a 28 I wouldnt be getting the replacement

Yup. If it ain't broke, don't break it.

• Advertisement

Given the numbers, the Ioniq 28 is not part of this recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Given the numbers, the Ioniq 28 is not part of this recall.

It will however be lumped in with every other problem that EV's have had, given fuel to the idea batteries need to be replaced after x years.

Its not like a recall for airbags or some brake caliber, its a disaster for Hyundai and EV's in general.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    It will however be lumped in with every other problem that EV's have had, given fuel to the idea batteries need to be replaced after x years.

Its not like a recall for airbags or some brake caliber, its a disaster for Hyundai and EV's in general.

Good thing batteries have huge warranties across the board. What is it, 8 years or 200k km in the ioniq 28. I believe the km was reduced in the ioniq 38 though. 125 or 150k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

I have a problem with the rear passenger door. A bit of the door hand has come off. Has to happened to anyone else on here? Its 2019 Ioniq. Will the dealer fix this under warranty? Or should I try glue it back on.

Bring it back to the dealer, something like that shouldn't happen unless you caused damage to it yourself. So should be fixed under warranty. They might not have the part in stock though, so could mean at least two trips to the dealer. Up to you if that's worth it or for you to do a quick fix yourself.

Bring it back to the dealer, something like that shouldn't happen unless you caused damage to it yourself. So should be fixed under warranty. They might not have the part in stock though, so could mean at least two trips to the dealer. Up to you if that's worth it or for you to do a quick fix yourself.

No damage done on my part. It just popped off as I opened the door! Ive put it back in place. It’s fairly loose. I’ll bring it in to be looked at. Just looking online it seems to be a common issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    I have a problem with the rear passenger door. A bit of the door hand has come off. Has to happened to anyone else on here? Its 2019 Ioniq. Will the dealer fix this under warranty? Or should I try glue it back on.

That happened me and I got it fixed under warranty. It took three visits BTW. On the first visit, they checked it out and ordered the part. The second visit was meant to be when the part was fitted, but the mechanic realised that the part would need spraying to colour match, so he arranged a third appointment for the fitting once the part was sprayed. Maybe when they order the part for you, you should mention this.

I’ve heard Bjørn Nyland mention that this is a common enough issue too, so it’s not just you and me (or my eight-year-old being too aggressive opening the door!).

fricatus wrote: »
    That happened me and I got it fixed under warranty. It took three visits BTW. On the first visit, they checked it out and ordered the part. The second visit was meant to be when the part was fitted, but the mechanic realised that the part would need spraying to colour match, so he arranged a third appointment for the fitting once the part was sprayed. Maybe when they order the part for you, you should mention this.

I’ve heard Bjørn Nyland mention that this is a common enough issue too, so it’s not just you and me (or my eight-year-old being too aggressive opening the door!).

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully they will sort it out. If they don’t I’ll be on to Hyundai Ireland to get it sorted. Shouldn’t be happening to a 2 year old car. Especially when the rear passenger doors get very little use! It looks like a clip broke on the back of it. Feels like very cheap plastic. I see some dealers in the uk do it under warranty and some don’t.

Car booked in for inspection this Friday. They need to see if it will be covered under warranty or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Car booked in for inspection this Friday. They need to see if it will be covered under warranty or not!

if you google "ioniq broken door handle" there are plenty of examples of this happening on the 28. I would suggest sharing the same with the dealer and politely suggest that it is an obvious design fault and should be covered under warranty.

• Advertisement

Doesn't that part never move though? Blob of glue wouldn't do it any harm, no? Assuming the dealer doesn't cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Exact same thing with my 171 Ioniq in late 2019. Was repaired under warranty.

Left the car in today for the door handle issue. They say it’s not covered under warranty. So I had to pay for the inspection they did on the handle. I’ve contacted Hyundai Ireland to see if I have any luck with them. For people who got it resolved under warranty did you have to put up a fight? I explained how if they google it they will see its a common issue. To which I was told it was the first they seen!!

Left the car in today for the door handle issue. They say it’s not covered under warranty. So I had to pay for the inspection they did on the handle. I’ve contacted Hyundai Ireland to see if I have any luck with them. For people who got it resolved under warranty did you have to put up a fight? I explained how if they google it they will see its a common issue. To which I was told it was the first they seen!!

Probably is though, or they're liars as usual, but that's a very narrow minded approach from them to say "we've not seen it before, so it's not an issue". How many Ioniqs sold in Ireland? It's a pretty limited supply to have the opinion that what they've see is de facto.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

No fight needed when I went in (Mooney's, Long Mile Road). They inspected the damage, made a call (I presume), and told me that it would be repaired under warranty.
    I just had to arrange a suitable time to have the repairs done... simple as that.

I'd have a very robust conversation with the service manager :D

If that didn't help, I'd contact the MD of the dealer and then Hyundai Ireland. With lots of spilling the beans on social media if that didn't work out. Laced with a few ultimatums and eventually the small claims court. Would not take no for an answer there...

I’ve been in contact with Hyundai Ireland by phone and emailed off the pictures. Just waiting for a response. The branch manager said and I quote the reason it’s not warranty issue is because I have had the car two years and it only broke now. If it was a manufacturer issue it would have happened a few weeks after I bought the car! So basically the warranty you get with the car isn’t worth the paper it’s written on! I explained I only have someone in the back the odd time so the back doors are never opened! I have a feeling I’ve a long fight on my hands! While the car was in they did some outstanding recall on 3pin charger see attached picture.

What a joke, sell a car with a 5 year warranty, and then claim that things that break after 2 years aren't a warranty issue :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I’ve been in contact with Hyundai Ireland by phone and emailed off the pictures. Just waiting for a response. The branch manager said and I quote the reason it’s not warranty issue is because I have had the car two years and it only broke now. If it was a manufacturer issue it would have happened a few weeks after I bought the car! So basically the warranty you get with the car isn’t worth the paper it’s written on! I explained I only have someone in the back the odd time so the back doors are never opened! I have a feeling I’ve a long fight on my hands! While the car was in they did some outstanding recall on 3pin charger see attached picture.

That's a warranty issue all day long. The car is well within the warranty period.

I don't know why the branch manager cares, he'll get the cost covered by Hyundai Ireland. Maybe the Warranty Manager doesn't fancy the onerous task of putting the claim through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's a warranty issue all day long. The car is well within the warranty period.

I don't know why the branch manager cares, he'll get the cost covered by Hyundai Ireland. Maybe the Warranty Manager doesn't fancy the onerous task of putting the claim through.

..because he does not give a sh1t most likely

Advertisement