Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking on yellow lines

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Double yellow lines down a country road ??

I've said this already. It's near a scenic walk (It's a popular walking spot) in the wicklow mountains (not glendalough). Yellow lines on country road as it would get a lot of parking from walkers etc. I don't see why that is hard to believe?

I don't want to post exactly where it is for a few reasons (more than just the posts in this thread).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Zenify wrote: »
    I've said this already. It's near a scenic walk (It's a popular walking spot) in the wicklow mountains (not glendalough). Yellow lines on country road as it would get a lot of parking from walkers etc. I don't see why that is hard to believe?

I don't want to post exactly where it is for a few reasons (more than just the posts in this thread).

What state do you reckon the grass verge is going to be in if used for parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

The yellow lines on most of the roads around scenic areas for example brittas Bay or the viewing point up Sally's gap is to stop people parking like twats. I'm guessing since you admitted you ignored the yellow lines and you got a ticket that you were parked like a twat.

After what I seen today people should start parking and blocking the roads and driveways of the idiots that ignore road markings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I see the cyclists have found this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Take a serious change to the current system. Anything other than parking in a disabled spot or bike lane and you are wasting your time.

My favourite local one at a 4 way junction are the delivery vans which park between the disabled bay and the junction. The disabled bay is 5m or less from junction, they park across stop sign, dropped kerb etc. 2 primary schools within 50m. Regularly get vans parked across three corners at once.

I’m not passive, I will engage, educate and have been insistent enough to force a squad car to come down on 5 occasions over past 5 years. A few warnings but not a single ticket. On one occasion, one of the guards guided someone to park within 2m or so of the junction as I spoke to his colleague. I had explained to him that there was no way that it could be legal before he guided him in. That led to a formal complaint to the station. Hardly possible to complain when the guard is guiding him to park illegally. His colleague’s face was beetroot as he guided him in and I’d say he had a go at him afterwards. I almost felt sorry as he really how much of a gob****e he had been but woukdn’t back down. The can completely blocked the dropped kerb. And yes, there are three losing bays right at this spot. One filled with 4 private cars which they chose not to ticket.

That’s why I think guards need to be able to hand out sizeable tickets which can be enforced by bailiffs not requiring the guard to attend court.

Edit: it goes without saying that they hate seeing me around and probably have my phone number on a list at the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,500 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I get your point and it's a strange one. Fair enough you can't park on yellow lines... But you weren't. So how far do yellow lines extend to the left or right of them. I'd like to see an actual law on it.

The yellow lines on most of the roads around scenic areas for example brittas Bay or the viewing point up Sally's gap is to stop people parking like twats. I'm guessing since you admitted you ignored the yellow lines and you got a ticket that you were parked like a twat.

After what I seen today people should start parking and blocking the roads and driveways of the idiots that ignore road markings.

This is posted in the legal discussion. Not the twat discussion. I'm wondering what the legal side to parking near yellow lines is. I parked in an area that was not dangerous and does not cause an obstruction to anyone. I saw it as the best and safest option to go and enjoy my day.

As previously mentioned there's plenty of cars parked on the road before and after where I was parked. Some on the grass verge like me. I assume they did not get a ticket. In my opinion the reason for the yellow lines is to stop cars passing on the other side of the road beside a t junction. My car did not cause this issue. As another posted has mentioned, yellow lines include the outside of the road. That would mean I am legally in the wrong. That is the answer I needed . Was my car causing a problem? no, but that's irrelevant when you are talking about the law. I do find it interesting because how far does this include. on the other side. ..

Just because you have seen other people park like an idiot does not mean I was parked like an idiot.

I parked in an area that was not dangerous and does not cause an obstruction to anyone. I saw it as the best and safest option to go and enjoy my day.

The best and safest option and this goes for every idiot I seen yesterday, not just you, would have been not ON double yellow lines, not on peoples private property or blocking their gateways, not on blind bends and not blocking entrances to scenic areas that maybe required by the emergency services.
    As previously mentioned there's plenty of cars parked on the road before and after where I was parked. Some on the grass verge like me. I assume they did not get a ticket.

Plenty of people did alot of different things yesterday. Doesnt make it right. You were selfish and wrong. Stop trying to justify it. Why would you assume no one else didn't get a ticket. They may have parked up after the guards left the area.
    In my opinion the reason for the yellow lines is to stop cars passing on the other side of the road beside a t junction.

In my opinion if they were meant for the opposite side of the road they'd be on the opposite side of the road
    My car did not cause this issue.

It may have, it may not have. I don't know because I wasn't there. Were you? I've seen people returning to their cars hours later and just driving off unbeknown to them that there has been mayhem on the road because of where they parked.
    Just because you have seen other people park like an idiot does not mean I was parked like an idiot.

By your own admittance I can tell you, you were parked like an idiot. The last few weeks these areas all over the country have seen thousands of visitors. Some parking on double yellows like you, others parked on peoples gateways and grass verges that they are kept pristine with flowers etc to now have tyre tracks going through them. Some have parked in woodland, scenic area gateways that would block ambulances and mountain rescue from gaining entry. I'd say all the people in the examples are saying the above. " Sure what's the harm. We're only out enjoying the sun" .The harm is local residents literally cannot do their day to day business as they can't drive on the local roads.

The harm is that there is no access for emergency services if there was an incident. If a fire brigade was to go on that road you were parked on and there was a traffic jam, where are the cars to go to make room? To the left? They now can't because of people like you ignoring road markings endangering lifes then come on here trying to justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

That €40 fine says otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I did hear from someone in the know that the double yellow lines fairly recently put in on the approach to Glendalough had no legal standing and were put in as deterrents in a reaction to the parking situation being so bad one sunny Sunday that mountain rescue couldn't get through. I haven't looked closely but isn't it the case that they have to be accompanied by the relevant signage by the side of the road?

The ones up by the Pier Gates at the entrance to the Luggala estate were also extremely hastily put in again after a particularly bad weekend. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing applied here. Officialdom doesn't move that fast in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Alun wrote: »
    I did hear from someone in the know that the double yellow lines fairly recently put in on the approach to Glendalough had no legal standing and were put in as deterrents in a reaction to the parking situation being so bad one sunny Sunday that mountain rescue couldn't get through. I haven't looked closely but isn't it the case that they have to be accompanied by the relevant signage by the side of the road?

The ones up by the Pier Gates at the entrance to the Luggala estate were also extremely hastily put in again after a particularly bad weekend. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing applied here. Officialdom doesn't move that fast in Ireland.

Im fairly sure that double yellows don't need accompanying signage.

isn't it the case that they have to be accompanied by the relevant signage by the side of the road

The only signage you need to readi is in the rules of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

That same "source" probably tells people that gardai have to wear their hats when giving you a ticket.

If you believe such foolish rubbish, you deserve a lot more than a €40 fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Because it would be a popular spot to park for a scenic walk.

You can park on the same road in a few spots but there's a T junction coming from the other side of the road near where I parked so they wouldn't want cars going onto the other side of the road into the T junction. There was nothing dangerous about my parking, I was not obstructing view or causing cars to cross onto the other side of the road. I do admit I am in the wrong, but not for yellows, for parking on a grass verge 😇

It was a busy weekend so all other spots were taken. If you want more of a laugh, as some posters say they would love to be in a car with me to see what I get up to. I drive for a living! I do about 200,000km a year and have 0 points or previous fines.
    200,000 at a generous average of 100kmh = 2000 hours 40 hour week , would you require you to be driving 50 weeks solid. Not a chance you do 200,000 Km a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

For people saying I was parked in between a motorway. let me be more specific, this is down a country road. There's a large grass area between the road and hedgerow. You see farmers parking off the road beside their fields all the time on this area.

The grass area is defined as part of the road. You were thus parked on a yellow-lined road. If you have nothing better to do you could argue the toss in court. It would costs more than the fine to engage a solicitor so your chances of acquittal would be low.
    You may not have caused an obstruction while parked but might have caused a hazard when manoeuvring out of that position onto the road and equally you or you passengers may have been in danger when walking to and from your vehicle.
    At all events, it is not a defence for you to say you were not causing a hazard. No parking means no parking.

ted1 wrote: »
    200,000 at a generous average of 100kmh = 2000 hours 40 hour week , would you require you to be driving 50 weeks solid. Not a chance you do 200,000 Km a year

I'm including driving to and from work etc. And yes, a good few of us were doing that mileage. Don't want to go into anymore detail but that mileage was done! Won't ever be doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I parked on the grass again on a second visit and got a €40 fine. They really need to build a big carpark and charge €1 an hour and they would make plenty of cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

You can not get a parking ticket for parking on double yellow lines whilst on the grass verge.

There is a separate specific offence of parking on a grass verge on a public road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Can't see a more recent one but likely still in force anyway

) either wholly or partly on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1995/si/12/made/en/print?q=Dublin+Traffic+and+Parking

• Advertisement

S32 (2)(i) of the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997 are the most recent and state a vehicle may not park:-

"on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip"

The offence of parking on the grass only applies if there is a footway also, so for example if there is a roadway and grass, but no footway then there is no offence.

A bit late, I've paid it. It was 40eur. Not worth my time in court trying to argue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭beachhead

Crossing over the yellow lines to park on a verge is an offence.Another offence people don't seem to know about is where there is an entrance to a property and the road marking stops on one side then starts again.People seem to think it means free parking but it's obstruction even for the owner of the property to park in "the gap".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I’m lucky enough to be able to afford it and it was €40 well spent, I got a ringside seat at the beach for 2 days. Would have much preferred to pay €20 a day for parking though and not cause hassle for the council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, no. It is only an offence to obstruct and entrance if you do so without permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I had the same thought, however: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

"grass margin" means that portion of a public road situated on either side of a footway and which is provided for the growing of grass, trees or shrubbery of any kind;

No footway means no grass margin means no offence.

Now, "road verge" is where it gets really messy.

No, I am reading it correctly as pointed out by @Victor above.

Post edited by GM228 on

Just as well there's no offences involving a road verge.

The occupier of the premises, or indeed anyone whom they give permission to can lawfully park in the so called gap (subject to any other parking restrictions which may be at play).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If it was in the countryside and you parked well in off the road, were you not likely on private property? Would that make a difference?

I heard of a case a few years back of a spot which was notorious for catching people speeding (right inside the boundary where a 80km limit dropped to 60 and then immediately to 50). Turned out that the gatso van was parked on private property without explicit permission and loads of fines and points were rescinded after someone challenged it. It was pulled well in off the road

Advertisement