Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭divillybit

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/fiat-130-90-turbo/27722918

Fiat 130/90's mustn't be as well liked as their smaller brother... I think the gear levers were up at the steering wheel on the 130/90's and 160/90's..The salty Kerry Air has taken its toll on this cab..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

divillybit wrote: »

Fiat 130/90's mustn't be as well liked as their smaller brother... I think the gear levers were up at the steering wheel on the 130/90's and 160/90's..The salty Kerry Air has taken its toll on this cab..

Ya never liked those gear levers, friend had a 160-90 and 180- 90 some power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They hadn't much more power than a turbo'd 110-90, but weighted a ton and a half more.
    So some of your extra power was needed to move it's own extra weight.
    Good on a low loader, but slow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    They hadn't much more power than a turbo'd 110-90, but weighted a ton and a half more.
    So some of your extra power was needed to move it's own extra weight.
    Good on a low loader, but slow....

I read before that a 110-90 was born when they fitted a 130-90 or 115-90 engine onto a 100-90 chassis.

The extra power on the light chassis was incredibly popular and the design was an instant success

Completely useless information of course but I found it interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

We used to use ours for taking turf home , parked on bog Road and loaded from quad, the 590 /P236 would climb the hill in top with an empty trailer, you'd have to change down on the neighbours 390 with the same trailer

Quite possibly, but there is a bigger range of gear boxes in the 300 series, comparing pulling power of top gear is not a like for like comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If mechanically alright that 130-90 would be a decent buy.

It's funny how popular some big older machines have become. 10 years ago no one really wanted them.

But now quite a few models are in big demand. TW fords and the 8210 really shot up in value from quite a low base.

A big older yoke in good shape with a double bale handler on the back is an instant hit on social media. Definitely seems to be a bit of a grassmen effect. Similar story on social media all across the continent too.

Lovely restored 165 here but would ye pay 9k Sterling for it?

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-165/27734630

Incidentally, I was behind a modified 165 on the road lately, she was tipping down the road at 40km/hr no bother... twas gas to see it flying along. Never seen one going as fast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What kinda costs would you be looking at bringing it down south?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭hopeso

Incidentally, I was behind a modified 165 on the road lately, she was tipping down the road at 40km/hr no bother... twas gas to see it flying along. Never seen one going as fast

£9k, for a round axle, 203 engine and no cab :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Worked on a place that had a 188 Multi-Power.
    Was an absolute flyer on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Worked on a place that had a 188 Multi-Power.
    Was an absolute flyer on the road.

Mine was multi powwer too, it drew a lot of corn too with a ten tonne trailer.
    There is no hill hold in low so you go up a hill in low and if you forget to flick it into high on the way down you'd get all the speed you wanted.
    I hated MP, a dangerous yoke.

Probably removed the planetary gears from the rear axle, it would make it go fast but it wouldn't pull your socks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

wrangler wrote: »
    Mine was multi powwer too, it drew a lot of corn too with a ten tonne trailer.
    There is no hill hold in low so you go up a hill in low and if you forget to flick it into high on the way down you'd get all the speed you wanted.
    I hated MP, a dangerous yoke.

That MP was a danger, i nearly got killed on a 590 (i think it was 590) with a silage wagon, nobody told me that MP was like neutral going down a hill, picked up serious speed and nearly went down a glen.....close call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The sensation of speed you get off those things is unreal. 188 multi power with a roll bar I thought this must be what doing the Isle of Man TT felt like. In a more modern tractor you'd be looking for another gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Gillespy wrote: »
    The sensation of speed you get off those things is unreal. 188 multi power with a roll bar I thought this must be what doing the Isle of Man TT felt like. In a more modern tractor you'd be looking for another gear.

I nearly got killed off a 178 multi power I was about 12 collecting bales I was the driver grand n slow everyone forgot about the hill as my father was baling at the time I'll tell you twas the best education about driving I ever got I've never forgot it as we were farming on the banks of the snn estuary she landed on top of the last ditch after that twas 60 ft fall to the shore line I'd have been killed for sure and certain

• Advertisement

https://touch.adverts.ie/tractors/1996-valmet-665/23412408

Disappointed to see no interior pics....looks reasonable value in todays market

This would actually tempt me, were I in the market for a classic 4 wheel drive.
    As long as it had brakes, and no signs of a cooked engine, it'd do all anyone'd need on astock farm.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/deutzs-dx-90/27519576?campaign=14

The 130/90 sold quick enough!

I've no experience of with Multipower MF tractors but twas quite the eye opener to read of posters close call experiences with them.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/final-price-drop-fiat-100-90-and-tanco-loader/27697467

Some front loaders like this dont look neat at all on a tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/final-price-drop-fiat-100-90-and-tanco-loader/27697467

Some front loaders like this dont look neat at all on a tractor

Who cares about the loaders.

It has new stickers!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭amacca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

amacca wrote: »

Problem with tractors like that while they are kinda bomb proof they have limitations. Ya they will do slurry or haul grain and silage trailers but they have no shuttle. They would he pigs for any yard work. Every time you have to move from a forward to a reverse speed you will need to move at least two leavers.
    Ya maybe for on a dump trailer or a doing any heavy hauling they be grand. Not sure if they have towibg ratings stamped on them but f not you are limited to there weight ratio's for hauling. Bit a huge issue at present but in 5-10 years time we do no know what way the law will be enforced. As well top speed was 20 mph or about 32km/ hours

The last thing you would need is a good seat on them. I say the seat was very basic replace that and it is more useable. However for 20-25 k there is other options out there that might be more effective than them. If you wanted it for the odd road run as well you could manage away wit it if you had another tractor

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Problem with tractors like that while they are kinda bomb proof they have limitations. Ya they will do slurry or haul grain and silage trailers but they have no shuttle. They would he pigs for any yard work. Every time you have to move from a forward to a reverse speed you will need to move at least two leavers.
    Ya maybe for on a dump trailer or a doing any heavy hauling they be grand. Not sure if they have towibg ratings stamped on them but f not you are limited to there weight ratio's for hauling. Bit a huge issue at present but in 5-10 years time we do no know what way the law will be enforced. As well top speed was 20 mph or about 32km/ hours

The last thing you would need is a good seat on them. I say the seat was very basic replace that and it is more useable. However for 20-25 k there is other options out there that might be more effective than them. If you wanted it for the odd road run as well you could manage away wit it if you had another tractor

I think most buyers wouldn't be buying a county as a yard tractor at this stage. Doubt that thing will do too much heavy lifting for the rest of it's days, surely.

Lurching wrote: »
    I think most buyers wouldn't be buying a county as a yard tractor at this stage. Doubt that thing will do too much heavy lifting for the rest of it's days, surely.

Vintage rallys I'd say would be the limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

amacca wrote: »

It's like a 3600 on steroids.

Probably be a nice tractor for the tractor runs and vintage shows. It's a bit different to a lot of what you'd see.

Lurching wrote: »

No it would not be a yard tractor per say. However because of its top speed it's not really a roD tractor either. If you had it on a dumper grain trailer or drawing silage bales you will be going in and out of reverse a bit. Sound that with there gear ratio's and the fact it's a floor change would mean it struggles that way as well

Slava Ukrainii

No it would not be a yard tractor per say. However because of its top speed it's not really a roD tractor either. If you had it on a dumper grain trailer or drawing silage bales you will be going in and out of reverse a bit. Sound that with there gear ratio's and the fact it's a floor change would mean it struggles that way as well

Not to mention the price, you could buy 2 cattle trailers and a post driver for that kind of money. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I feel there's too much made of 30 vs 40k road speed. Few of each here and when we're drawing bales or at slurry on a 4 or 5 mile round trip we always end up doing the same number of loads with little to no delays. If you never stopped to eat every so often the fast tractor would lap the slow one or be waiting to load/unload but you reset there and work away fine again.

I think the fact a tractor is 30k actually stands to it when buying a fifteen year plus old one. It has to wear and tear wise especially compared to 50k. The extra few mph is nice on longer journeys no doubt but it's silly to disregard 30k tractors. They all don't need to be fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

lab man wrote: »
    I nearly got killed off a 178 multi power I was about 12 collecting bales I was the driver grand n slow everyone forgot about the hill as my father was baling at the time I'll tell you twas the best education about driving I ever got I've never forgot it as we were farming on the banks of the snn estuary she landed on top of the last ditch after that twas 60 ft fall to the shore line I'd have been killed for sure and certain

Did a share of small square bales with a 188 MP longer ago than I'd like to remember. Real busy one day so as I went for the dinner the boss man took over for a half hour. Told him work away in 1H Hi multi. Well obviously he thought it was a bit fast so he dropped it to Lo. All was grand till he turned the point of the hill. Frightened the life out of him when she took off like the clappers. He was a Ford man so was used of the Dual Power system on those.
    Was a weapon on the road but only had a frame of a cab and front windscreen so no need for aircon.
    He flogged it on soon after. Death trap he reckoned.

A "Backhoe Loader" in a local dealership, that I'll not be buying!
    J1gHyf2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

J1gHyf2.jpg

Why is the loader so far forward? Doesnt look right...

And what's the white pipe and the bottle on the loader about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭amacca

Why is the loader so far forward? Doesnt look right...

And what's the white pipe and the bottle on the loader about?

Agree on the first and the bottle looks like it's a "hydraulic fluid pressure release valve manual resevoir system" for the loader ram :D

The tractor looks tidy though in fairness

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Did a share of small square bales with a 188 MP longer ago than I'd like to remember. Real busy one day so as I went for the dinner the boss man took over for a half hour. Told him work away in 1H Hi multi. Well obviously he thought it was a bit fast so he dropped it to Lo. All was grand till he turned the point of the hill. Frightened the life out of him when she took off like the clappers. He was a Ford man so was used of the Dual Power system on those.
    Was a weapon on the road but only had a frame of a cab and front windscreen so no need for aircon.
    He flogged it on soon after. Death trap he reckoned.
    My father spread thousands of tonnes of lime with a fordson major a mf 178 and an industrial mf 3165
    The new mf tractors now aren't a patch on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That County 6 would need about an acre to turn around on, I used one with a roller and you would have to reverse into the corners of the field to roll them. Low multi power and a rotovator were another recipe for lots of speed

What is a shuttle? Never come across one of these before I don't think?

Pussyhands wrote: »

Forward/reverse lever, gives the same amount of gears forwards and backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As emaherx said it's a forward/reverse lever. Older tractors had forward gears 1,2,3 some had 4 and they all had one reverse gear similar to a car. The shuttle gear allows you to choose 1,2,3 or 4th gear in either forward or reverse. The earlier ones required you to use the clutch to shuttle between forward and reverse like our '86 Renault 781 but it's not necessary with more modern tractors as they have a simple leaver to switch between both. I've heard of horror stories of lads hitting the leaver from forward to reverse with a heavy load behind the tractor and doing serious damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

emaherx wrote: »

The county does have shuttle, 2nd high and reverse...

Base price wrote: »
    As emaherx said it's a forward/reverse lever. Older tractors had forward gears 1,2,3 some had 4 and they all had one reverse gear similar to a car. The shuttle gear allows you to choose 1,2,3 or 4th gear in either forward or reverse. The earlier ones required you to use the clutch to shuttle between forward and reverse like our '86 Renault 781 but it's not necessary with more modern tractors as they have a simple leaver to switch between both. I've heard of horror stories of lads hitting the leaver from forward to reverse with a heavy load behind the tractor and doing serious damage.

Ya heard of same happening forward to reverse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭gk5000

Is that a Massey 50B in the background? Who is the dealer? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭cute geoge

lab man wrote: »
    Ya heard of same happening forward to reverse

You would want to be a pretty poor pilot to hit the reverse on the shuttle when driving forward ,I always clutch with changing forward and reverse with power shuttle ,are you not supposed to:):eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Base price wrote: »
    I've heard of horror stories of lads hitting the leaver from forward to reverse with a heavy load behind the tractor and doing serious damage.

As could happen with this machine

No neutral position on the shuttle, only forward and reverse, force of habbit means the operator inadvertently selects a drive position when stopping:eek: unless very familiar with the tractor of course

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1994-case-5140-40k/27749114

As could happen with this machine

No neutral position on the shuttle, only forward and reverse, force of habbit means the operator inadvertently selects a drive position when stopping:eek: unless very familiar with the tractor of course

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1994-case-5140-40k/27749114

Pretty certain there is a neutral shuttle position on the 5100 series. Certainly I've driven 96/97 5130s and 5140s with both mechanical and Powershift gearboxes and both have them.

Maybe it was something on the earlier models

maidhc wrote: »
    The county does have shuttle, 2nd high and reverse...

Not really. While the ratio's might be near they tend not to be the same . Many tractors have similar properties but often the ratio is 2/3-1 with the forward gear being a bit more fast. This is often workable for some general yard work or for some reversing.

However a shuttle works on every gear from 1st low to 4hj high on hi/lo. If you want to maneuver to hitch on a mower or a trailer you may want to use a lower gear that if you are feeding bales around the yard.

As well even a lot of tractor over twenty years old you can operate forward reverse on the shuttle and hit a hi/lo button to pick up speed going across a yard. All these action are a lot harder on gear sticks especially on a floor change machine

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Pretty certain there is a neutral shuttle position on the 5100 series. Certainly I've driven 96/97 5130s and 5140s with both mechanical and Powershift gearboxes and both have them.

Maybe it was something on the earlier models

It had to be a "plus" to have neutral in the F/R shuttle.
    Twas some blunder by Case to not have a neutral in the earlier ones.

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »
    You would want to be a pretty poor pilot to hit the reverse on the shuttle when driving forward ,I always clutch with changing forward and reverse with power shuttle ,are you not supposed to:):eek:

On my tractor the workshop manual recommends not using the clutch for any gear change. The forward /reverse shuttle won't work if the tractor is rolling the wrong way it just stays in nuetral. There's a button on the gear lever to change gears as well, so apart from tight spaces there's no need to use the clutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not really. While the ratio's might be near they tend not to be the same . Many tractors have similar properties but often the ratio is 2/3-1 with the forward gear being a bit more fast. This is often workable for some general yard work or for some reversing.

However a shuttle works on every gear from 1st low to 4hj high on hi/lo. If you want to maneuver to hitch on a mower or a trailer you may want to use a lower gear that if you are feeding bales around the yard.

As well even a lot of tractor over twenty years old you can operate forward reverse on the shuttle and hit a hi/lo button to pick up speed going across a yard. All these action are a lot harder on gear sticks especially on a floor change machine

Bass, for handy work or for tipping around the yard, a shuttle can be more of a hindrance than an aid.
    Take drawing bales with a bale lifter for example. With a shuttle, you will often have to change from say 3rd down to 1st on the main gear lever and then go from forwards to reverse on the shuttle to reverse under a bale. Thats 2 levers that you need to move. On an older tractor, Ford 76, Massey 188, Zetor 7211 etc, you only have one lever to move to do the same manoeuvre.

I think Maidhc is correct above too, 2nd high and reverse on an older Ford are opposite each other and are pretty evenly matched speed wise.
    Plenty lads with a clutch model 550 operated in the low box stacking bales in a yard and it was only a case of moving the gear lever forward and back to change direction.

It had to be a "plus" to have neutral in the F/R shuttle.
    Twas some blunder by Case to not have a neutral in the earlier ones.

Oh man that was a serious blunder. Baled for years with a 5140 and it was dead handy to throw the shuttle into neutral instead of clutching. Would take a bit of getting used to if no neutral

emaherx wrote: »

If you have 2 gearsticks, one for high, medium and reverse and then one for 1,2,3,4...is that a shuttle?

If you have 2 gearsticks, one for high, medium and reverse and then one for 1,2,3,4...is that a shuttle?

no....forward/reverse would been sold as shuttle (usually beside steering wheel for ease of operation)......these would aimed at lads feeding/doing alot of loader work

High/lo would be a differnent gearstick/powershift button

• Advertisement
Advertisement