Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It would be as bad as a landing and that's a fairly new one

Now now.......get back into your box

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What's the problem with the box?

It’s the 8 speed range box that’s a semi power shift, they where a disaster from day one, drove a lot of f tractors back in the day and any of them with the above box usually where missing gears, jumping out of gear while driving....
    The dual command type box with 4 speed and a hi/lo splitter was a lot more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Reggie. wrote: »
    Now now.......get back into your box

You left the door wide open I could not resist

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

I know its done up and may be targeting the tractor road run market but would pay 11k fot an MF240

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-240/27678895

Fully reconditioned ones are making and realising that. And especially in the past Covid-stricken year, where lads are stuck at home and have more time (and a bit more money) to be knocking about, doing a bit of tractor work (bog etc.) Nearly any kind of decent 135 is making at least €6k.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

MfMan wrote: »
    Fully reconditioned ones are making and realising that. And especially in the past Covid-stricken year, where lads are stuck at home and have more time (and a bit more money) to be knocking about, doing a bit of tractor work (bog etc.) Nearly any kind of decent 135 is making at least €6k.

What do the Turkish versions sell for new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Le shovelle

The boss is looking at a 1996 new holland 8560 for a small bit of low loader work. Think he said 12000 hrs which is to be expected. Anyone any experience of these?

MfMan wrote: »

Still it is a very limited tractor only good for lifting a bale of hay. You would buy a lot of fresh 2wd tractors up above 70 hp for around the 10 k mark

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

jaymla627 wrote: »
    It’s the 8 speed range box that’s a semi power shift, they where a disaster from day one, drove a lot of f tractors back in the day and any of them with the above box usually where missing gears, jumping out of gear while driving....
    The dual command type box with 4 speed and a hi/lo splitter was a lot more reliable

I'd say the gearbox has been done in that tractors if u look at the grarstick there's a lead going to the lever for the hi lo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-crystal-12011/27687891

Very original looking 12011

Not many left in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-crystal-12011/27687891

Very original looking 12011

Not many left in Ireland

The lad who sold me the 8011 had also restored a 12011, did a serious job on it. 2wd with that kind of power is rare to come by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Was the duel command box in the later F series Fiat's, the one with the high/low switch on the main gear lever?

Drove a good few of the Bord na Mona older F 130 where the main gear lever had to be pushed to the right for the high split gear if that sounds right..but never heard of the gearboxes giving much problems

endainoz wrote: »
    The lad who sold me the 8011 had also restored a 12011, did a serious job on it. 2wd with that kind of power is rare to come by.

Any idea how much horsepower the 12011 would have at the pto?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

divillybit wrote: »
    Was the duel command box in the later F series Fiat's, the one with the high/low switch on the main gear lever?

Drove a good few of the Bord na Mona older F 130 where the main gear lever had to be pushed to the right for the high split gear if that sounds right..but never heard of the gearboxes giving much problems

Yes, I used to have a late F130 (97 reg) which had a slider switch on the gear knob for the splitter. Didn't have any gearbox issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

Any idea how much horsepower the 12011 would have at the pto?

Not too sure, I doubt there would be much loss to be fair. Those 12011s had legendary pulling power aswell. Pity about the awful brakes.

The saying I heard once really sums up the crystals: "Goes like a train, stops like a boat!"

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-7840-sle-powerstar/27239441

This 2wd Ford 7840 has been on Done Deal a few weeks now, thought it would have sold by now... Have they any major weak spots I wonder?

This 2wd Ford 7840 has been on Done Deal a few weeks now, thought it would have sold by now... Have they any major weak spots I wonder?

First off it's a 2WD. They have 00 down as the year of registration. However AFAIK as it's a ford it would have been manufactured in 1995 at the he latest and could be 5+ years older.

I know some of these bigger 40 series fords had issue but I am not sure which ones. As well I am not sure is this a shuttle one or not

Slava Ukrainii

I think 2wd tractors like that Ford 7840 do have their place as a good standby tractor and have advantages over the 4wd versions. They would be far more nimble for jobs like mowing or in tight yards.. Only time I ever seem to need to use the 4wd on our main tractor is in the spring time spreading slurry,

I think 2wd tractors like that Ford 7840 do have their place as a good standby tractor and have advantages over the 4wd versions. They would be far more nimble for jobs like mowing or in tight yards.. Only time I ever seem to need to use the 4wd on our main tractor is in the spring time spreading slurry,

I have s 2wd CX 80 and a CX90 4wd. Ya a 2wd can be a handy back up tractor. Mine spreads fertlizer, hand as a second tractor bringing in bales, will run the mower. It handy as you can put an implement on it for 2-3 weeks during the summer.

No need of a crane for fertlizer. Last winter saw lad pay 4-500 to rent a tractor for two weeks we while his own was being fixed. I am not familiar with the Gear leaver set up on 40 series fords, not really gone on them I had 10 series and it gave a lot of trouble even though it was a clean tractor so it kinda put me off fords. If she had a shuttle she be grand for a second tractor but I do know there was issues with some of the 40 series

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The SL gearbox had a better reputation than the SLE in that.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭maidhc

Two fine zetors that seem decent enough value:

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27715001

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27712518

And really unusual ford 4000 with what seems like a grp bonnet

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27709166

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

If you're looking a project for restoration that first Zetor is a nice one. There is a fella Bart down in Cork who advertises on Done Deal and the Crystal Facebook pages - has pretty much everything you want/need.
    Second one has decent front wheels for a loader tractor and is in good off-farm original condition for the age.

People like to slate the Zetors, but not many can take the abuse they get and keep going.

Not sure about that Ford - it's certainly unusual. For the extra 50, I'd go with the Zetor.

People like to slate the Zetors, but not many can take the abuse they get and keep going.

I’ve not heard much slating of Zetor’s in recent years.

If anything there is a nostalgic respect for them.

Their fault’s lie in the comfort levels they offer anyone driving them, which is terrible it must be said

Their fault’s lie in the comfort levels they offer anyone driving them, which is terrible it must be said

Comfort levels on older tractors not just zetor was brutal. I was talking to a mechanic just the other day. We were both of the same opinion. If we were buying any real one tractor the first thing we would do was put a decent seat in them. Spend 4-500 euro and you have most of the comfort of many modern tractors. All tractors are the same a cab on top of an engine on wheels a decent seat makes a huge difference.

If you Were in and out of a few scrap yards buy you cod pick one up second hand. You could get it reupholstered but buying new is probably as cheap.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭Grueller

Comfort levels on older tractors not just zetor was brutal. I was talking to a mechanic just the other day. We were both of the same opinion. If we were buying any real one tractor the first thing we would do was put a decent seat in them. Spend 4-500 euro and you have most of the comfort of many modern tractors. All tractors are the same a cab on top of an engine on wheels a decent seat makes a huge difference.

If you Were in and out of a few scrap yards buy you cod pick one up second hand. You could get it reupholstered but buying new is probably as cheap.

Agree 100%. I have a TL90 here and splashed out on an air seat for her last year. It has transformed driving her.

Good point.

I remember the premium air seat on a JD was a few thousand euro back in the day

The same guys that bought that would put a €600 mechanical seat in a 2nd tractor.

It’s a huge part of of protecting our anatomy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭White Clover

Our 1975 Zetor 6718 has an original factory fitted air seat and a fully enclosed cab with a flat floor with rubber matting. They also came with an engine mounted air compressor as standard and our one was retro fitted about 25 years ago with a front axle with suspension from another Zetor.
    Show me another tractor made between '70 and '75 with that level of spec.

Our 1975 Zetor 6718 has an original factory fitted air seat and a fully enclosed cab with a flat floor with rubber matting. They also came with an engine mounted air compressor as standard and our one was retro fitted about 25 years ago with a front axle with suspension from another Zetor.
    Show me another tractor made between '70 and '75 with that level of spec.

I didn’t mean to offend any owners.

I’ve owned 3 at this stage and still have 1

Zetor certainly lead the way for a while but fell behind as evident when they still used non synchronised gearboxes in new tractors in the mid 1990s.

They weren’t know for comfort in the last 2 decades

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

It's the early SLE model. Some of them are known to give trouble. I had one during the summer. Grand machine. When your mowing or topping and going from forward to reverse it can be a bit difficult to get it into gear without it grinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Neighbor had one of these years ago, I loved driving it as it really easy power steering. Not sure what their like but it looks honest from the pictures
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/tractor-john-deere-2030/23343178

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

First off it's a 2WD. They have 00 down as the year of registration. However AFAIK as it's a ford it would have been manufactured in 1995 at the he latest and could be 5+ years older.

I know some of these bigger 40 series fords had issue but I am not sure which ones. As well I am not sure is this a shuttle one or not

They have it down as 0000 not 00, don't think they were actually advertising the year at all, I'm fairly sure it's not over 2000 years old :D

Advertisement