Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Gillespy

2wd and decent power make it ideal to go on a feeder and be useful in the summer too. It would be some difference compared to a 4wd Nasher steering circle wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

Our 1975 Zetor 6718 has an original factory fitted air seat and a fully enclosed cab with a flat floor with rubber matting. They also came with an engine mounted air compressor as standard and our one was retro fitted about 25 years ago with a front axle with suspension from another Zetor.
    Show me another tractor made between '70 and '75 with that level of spec.

I can show you another one but it's also a Zetor! I'm currently doing a bit of work on an 8011 will be happy to show some pics once it's done. I'd definitely have a soft spot for the crystals myself, we had one ourselves for years and they were way ahead of their time. Everyone around here was still driving 165s at the time so next to them the 8011 was miles ahead in terms of features. Power steering, safety cab, heater, sound proofing etc etc. My one will have an easy enough life once it's done though.

We also had a 9641 from new as a main tractor. Anyone I know that wouldn't be gone on zetors have nothing but praise for it. I guess in years to come it would be seen as a bit of a modern classic, except for the lack of a shuttle gear box!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

endainoz wrote: »
    I can show you another one but it's also a Zetor! I'm currently doing a bit of work on an 8011 will be happy to show some pics once it's done. I'd definitely have a soft spot for the crystals myself, we had one ourselves for years and they were way ahead of their time. Everyone around here was still driving 165s in the so next the them the 8011 was miles ahead in terms of features. Power steering, safety cab, heater, sound proofing etc etc. My one will have an easy enough life once it's done though.

We also had a 9641 from new as a main tractor. Anyone I know that wouldn't be gone on zetors have nothing but praise for it. I guess in years to come it would be seen as a bit of a modern classic, except for the lack of a shuttle gear box!

Like that, I've always had Zetors, I bought my first crystal because it was cheaper than a 165, I've a 100hsx now and it's a lovely tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Another point on the 2wd 7840 I think all the 2wd 40 series tractors were 30k (maybe 6 cylinder ones differ) which would be a bit of a let down considering some of those 4wd 7840s are rockets on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Another point on the 2wd 7840 I think all the 2wd 40 series tractors were 30k (maybe 6 cylinder ones differ) which would be a bit of a let down considering some of those 4wd 7840s are rockets on the road.

All 2 WD's are 30Km boxes at best a lot are only 25Km. Not all the 4wd 40 series fords 4WD's were 40K boxes. If you are buying a 2wd tractor you are already willing to compromise on road speed. There are other issues with taking 2WD tractors on the road with weight on the back(fertlizer spreader, mower or bales) there steering can be very light. Having said all that clean 2wd tractors are good 2nd tractor option on some farms

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    Like that, I've always had Zetors, I bought my first crystal because it was cheaper than a 165, I've a 100hsx now and it's a lovely tractor.

Bought a zetor 7211 a few months ago, we only had a 135 before...
    Zetor has a nice cab, power steering, radio, heater, better seat...

Much prefer the 135 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

I think the 7211 is the ultimate small holding type of a tractor, but can be versatile enough too, we ran on one a wrapper here for years. I'd like to see the 135 manage that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I never could like the smaller Zetors, but I had a 188 for spraying corn and the corn drill and it didn't compare to the Crystal

All 2 WD's are 30Km boxes at best a lot are only 25Km. Not all the 4wd 40 series fords 4WD's were 40K boxes. If you are buying a 2wd tractor you are already willing to compromise on road speed. There are other issues with taking 2WD tractors on the road with weight on the back(fertlizer spreader, mower or bales) there steering can be very light. Having said all that clean 2wd tractors are good 2nd tractor option on some farms

I dunno about that tbh there's a few 2wd tractors from the 70s, 80s and 90s that can hit well over 40k. Obviously many more that can't.

Just felt it was worth pointing out that the 2wd 7840 is most likely 30k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I dunno about that tbh there's a few 2wd tractors from the 70s, 80s and 90s that can hit well over 40k. Obviously many more that can't.

Just felt it was worth pointing out that the 2wd 7840 is most likely 30k.

Most zetor 8111s can do the 40 and over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

endainoz wrote: »
    I think the 7211 is the ultimate small holding type of a tractor, but can be versatile enough too, we ran on one a wrapper here for years. I'd like to see the 135 manage that!

Funny enough, I am kinda finding the opposite...

We have high ground, and the 135 manages grand. It’s rare it’d slide...
    But the zetor slides fierce easy, I just wouldn’t trust it on high ground...

Now, the zetor has a loader, which plays a big part...

In hindsight, should have gotten a 4wd, but the budget didn’t allow...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

188 multi power were fast.
    Ford 7600 could do 35kph easily.

fits wrote: »
    Yes it would. Mainly bringing round bales of hay or haylage out to field. Would do a bit of rolling/harrowing, topping, turning hay. Budget around 6-7 k. Really want something that works without needing much attention. Sold a Ford 3000 a few years ago which worked well but it had no loader.

Are you still looking for a tractor this looks like it would be in your budget. Nice clean looking Case IH 885 2wd with a loader. Just get it checked out but I think you would want to be fast off the mark. Put an air seat in it when you get a few bob togeather

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1990-case-ih-quicke-2200-loader-bucket-and-fork/27692200

Slava Ukrainii

divillybit wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-7840-sle-powerstar/27239441

This 2wd Ford 7840 has been on Done Deal a few weeks now, thought it would have sold by now... Have they any major weak spots I wonder?

this is a4Wd version and its is not much dearer

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-new-holland-7740-sle-1992/20389247

Slava Ukrainii

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

188 multi power were fast.
    Ford 7600 could do 35kph easily.

We'd a 590 and it was nothing special, pulled better than a 390 though

We'd a 590 and it was nothing special, pulled better than a 390 though

590, 690 and 390 all had same Perkins engine but it was rated higher in the 590/690

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭maidhc

maidhc wrote: »
    12,345?

Didn't notice it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

590, 690 and 390 all had same Perkins engine but it was rated higher in the 590/690

We used to use ours for taking turf home , parked on bog Road and loaded from quad, the 590 /P236 would climb the hill in top with an empty trailer, you'd have to change down on the neighbours 390 with the same trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/fiat-130-90-turbo/27722918

Fiat 130/90's mustn't be as well liked as their smaller brother... I think the gear levers were up at the steering wheel on the 130/90's and 160/90's..The salty Kerry Air has taken its toll on this cab..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Fiat 130/90's mustn't be as well liked as their smaller brother... I think the gear levers were up at the steering wheel on the 130/90's and 160/90's..The salty Kerry Air has taken its toll on this cab..

Ya never liked those gear levers, friend had a 160-90 and 180- 90 some power

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They hadn't much more power than a turbo'd 110-90, but weighted a ton and a half more.
    So some of your extra power was needed to move it's own extra weight.
    Good on a low loader, but slow....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    They hadn't much more power than a turbo'd 110-90, but weighted a ton and a half more.
    So some of your extra power was needed to move it's own extra weight.
    Good on a low loader, but slow....

I read before that a 110-90 was born when they fitted a 130-90 or 115-90 engine onto a 100-90 chassis.

The extra power on the light chassis was incredibly popular and the design was an instant success

Completely useless information of course but I found it interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

We used to use ours for taking turf home , parked on bog Road and loaded from quad, the 590 /P236 would climb the hill in top with an empty trailer, you'd have to change down on the neighbours 390 with the same trailer

Quite possibly, but there is a bigger range of gear boxes in the 300 series, comparing pulling power of top gear is not a like for like comparison.

If mechanically alright that 130-90 would be a decent buy.

It's funny how popular some big older machines have become. 10 years ago no one really wanted them.

But now quite a few models are in big demand. TW fords and the 8210 really shot up in value from quite a low base.

A big older yoke in good shape with a double bale handler on the back is an instant hit on social media. Definitely seems to be a bit of a grassmen effect. Similar story on social media all across the continent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Lovely restored 165 here but would ye pay 9k Sterling for it?

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-165/27734630

Incidentally, I was behind a modified 165 on the road lately, she was tipping down the road at 40km/hr no bother... twas gas to see it flying along. Never seen one going as fast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What kinda costs would you be looking at bringing it down south?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

Incidentally, I was behind a modified 165 on the road lately, she was tipping down the road at 40km/hr no bother... twas gas to see it flying along. Never seen one going as fast

£9k, for a round axle, 203 engine and no cab :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Worked on a place that had a 188 Multi-Power.
    Was an absolute flyer on the road.

Advertisement