Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Has anyone watched the awkwardly titled 'On Becoming a God in Central Florida'?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's been cancelled by whatever Network was making it, so be aware of that before starting it. I watched a couple of episodes last year but couldn't really get into it. I might finish it now it's there and easier to watch, but as I said, cancelled, so I'm in no hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

peteeeed wrote: »
    Strange but True
    A young woman rattles her former boyfriend's family when she reveals she is pregnant with his child -- despite his death five years ago.

added

This one is very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Lupin again is just so watchable. Omar Sy's character needs urgent psychiatric help though

I thought the first half of the series was ok, I have given up on the second, the acting is brutal and there are gaps in the storyline that are very annoying.

Watched Divines tonight. French film about a young girl living in the suburbs of Paris who gets involved with a local dealer to make some fast cash. It's outstanding, it really is. It's a very familiar story, but the writing, directing and acting just elevate it so much. Highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Katla Season 1 (iceland)
    The catastrophic eruption of subglacial volcano Katla turns a nearby community’s world upside down as mysteries begin to emerge from the ice in Baltasar Kormákur’s sci-fi mystery series, one of the first TV shows to resume production after the coronavirus outbreak.

Black Summer Season 2
    In the dark, early days of a zombie apocalypse, complete strangers band together to find the strength they need to survive and get back to loved ones.

Elite Short Stories: Carla Samuel
    Samuel attempts a big, romantic gesture at the airport in order to persuade Carla not to board her flight to London.

Record of Ragnarok Season 1 (Japanese)
    Before eradicating humankind from the world, the gods give them one last chance to prove themselves worthy of survival. Let the Ragnarok battles begin.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It's been cancelled by whatever Network was making it, so be aware of that before starting it. I watched a couple of episodes last year but couldn't really get into it. I might finish it now it's there and easier to watch, but as I said, cancelled, so I'm in no hurry.

Whereas I thought it started off quite well; quirky and original, with a really good performance from Kirsten Dunst, but it just got too silly and annoying towards the end .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Has any here watched Queen Sono? I know that Netflix cancelled it during filming of the second season and would like to know before I start watching if the season 1 is it’s own self contained story.

Also there is another African series called Shadow. Has that also been cancelled or is it a one off season?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

S.M.B. wrote: »
    As much as I enjoyed those View Askew movies I've no desire to return to them, partly for the reasons outlined above.

Is there a mallrats two being developed? Or is that in limbo? I've no interest either way.

Will check out He Man out of curiosity but certainly not because of Smith's involvement.

You might be right about that. I rewatched Mallrats recently and didn't really enjoy it. It had been many years. I was a teen when I last saw it. Or early 20s at the most. I enjoyed it pretty well back then but I've matured past it and it did not stand up at all, IMO.

As an aside, I'm rewatching a lot of old films I enjoyed when I first saw them and it's interesting to see which ones I still enjoy and which ones I don't.

Two other examples of films I did not enjoy on rewatch after many years, despite liking them a lot on first viewing were 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' and 'Bridget Jone's Diary'.

A film which stands the test of time and even is more enjoyable now: 'Almost Famous'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of Smith's early work, I'm going to go ahead and presume "Chasing Amy" is the film that has perhaps aged the worst through our modern lens. Ben Affleck chasing a lesbian into flipping straight ... oof. Yeah maybe not, unless I'm misremembering it bigtime; though would be curious what LGBT folks might think of it (retroactively and currently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I thought the first half of the series was ok, I have given up on the second, the acting is brutal and there are gaps in the storyline that are very annoying.

The last episodes of the series annoyed me so much. It actually stopped being fun to watch and I never really felt he was in jeopardy. For the final sequence at the exhibition I was just watching it thinking 'so what', we had been through all this before so it lacked any sort of bombshell moment.

I like Sy and the scenes of Paris were cool but yeah, went off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

pixelburp wrote: »
    Of Smith's early work, I'm going to go ahead and presume "Chasing Amy" is the film that has perhaps aged the worst through our modern lens. Ben Affleck chasing a lesbian into flipping straight ... oof. Yeah maybe not, unless I'm misremembering it bigtime; though would be curious what LGBT folks might think of it (retroactively and currently)

Surprised he hasn't been cancelled already tbh ;)

WRT the post above, it's an interesting excercise watching movies you've enjoyed from when you were younger. I often do this as my wife hasn't seen a lot of films that I have. Completely agree about Almost Famous, we went to see it in the sugar club a few years ago around when Philip Seymour Hoffman died. It was a strange film to choose to remember him by as he only has a small role but it's a fantastic movie and was a great night. I disagree with Oh Brother Where Art Thou though, I actually thought it was better when I watched it a while back.

One movie that lot's of people enjoyed when they were young (me included, it was in my top 5 easily) but agree that it hasn't aged well is Donnie Darko. I was pretty obsessed with it but when I watched it a few years back I was not really impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I try not to rewatch movies given the sheer amount of movies I have yet to see that are on my watch list.

But agree that Almost Famous is one I'd happily return to with Donnie Darko being one that I'd probably be better of avoiding. DD was probably my gateway to non-multiplex cinema when it was released.

To bring it back on topic, I think Netflix is pretty poor when it comes to movies from this era (95-05?) that I would want to either watch for the first time or rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

I try not to rewatch movies given the sheer amount of movies I have yet to see that are on my watch list.

But agree that Almost Famous is one I'd happily return to with Donnie Darko being one that I'd probably be better of avoiding. DD was probably my gateway to non-multiplex cinema when it was released.

To bring it back on topic, I think Netflix is pretty poor when it comes to movies from this era (95-05?) that I would want to either watch for the first time or rewatch.

I find the selection on Netflix frequently frustrating. It’s hard to put my finger on because there are good films there. But basically whenever I search for a film I’d like to watch, 9 times out if 10, Netflix won’t carry it. I know they can’t have all the films but a better hit rate from a search would be nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am a few episodes into...on becoming a God in central Florida.
    It's really enjoyable, Kirsten Dunst is terrific as the lead.
    Will definitely watch a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah balls!
    https://deadline.com/2020/10/on-becoming-a-god-in-central-florida-canceled-showtime-no-season-2-due-to-covid-1234593455/
    I thought it was renewed :(

I suppose if viewing figures are sky high on Netflix it might be saved?

gmisk wrote: »
    Ah balls!
    https://deadline.com/2020/10/on-becoming-a-god-in-central-florida-canceled-showtime-no-season-2-due-to-covid-1234593455/
    I thought it was renewed :(

I suppose if viewing figures are sky high on Netflix it might be saved?

It was renewed, but then when Covid happened they decided to un-renew it. There were a couple of shows like that, unfortunately. Glow was another one, off the top of my head.

I did a quick filter on Letterboxd by year, and by Netflix IE, and they have 96 films between 1995-1999, and 218 from between 2000-2005, but if you take out all the random ones, you're left with about 10 recognisable ones per year, on average. Which isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I did a quick filter on Letterboxd by year, and by Netflix IE, and they have 96 films between 1995-1999, and 218 from between 2000-2005, but if you take out all the random ones, you're left with about 10 recognisable ones per year, on average. Which isn't great.
    Just did a similar exercise (Netflix UK) and here are a few that I added to my watch list

Potential rewatch:
    Donnie Brasco
    Panic Room
    Bourne Identity & Supremacy
    Adaptation
    School of Rock (which is a rare movie I'm happy to watch every few years)
    Mean Girls (same as above)
    Collateral

Never seen:
    Morvern Callar
    Infernal Affairs
    The Death of Mr Lazarescu
    Pride & Prejudice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never seen:
    Morvern Callar
    Infernal Affairs
    The Death of Mr Lazarescu

Probably the three best films on the list!

That said, Netflix’s catalogue of films is even worse for pre 90s/00s films. The selection available is seemingly completely random. Classic, canonical films are almost absurdly poorly represented - move beyond mainstream Hollywood and it’s even worse. It’s Netflix’s biggest flaw by a country mile, although most of the competitors (Mubi aside) don’t fare much better. We desperately need a Criterion Channel equivalent in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Prime video isn't bad for older films these days, seems to have had a big influx lately. Went on a bit of a nostalgia buzz watching Flight of the Navigator, Short Circuit and Batteries Not Included on there recently.

Fatherhood
    Kevin Hart stars in this film about a widowed new dad who copes with doubts, fears, heartache and dirty diapers as he sets out to raise his daughter on his own.

The Dead Don't Die
    A celestial event raises the dead in the normally placid town of Centerville, a situation the police chief and his deputy struggle to control

Elite: Season 4
    Netflix’s hit Spanish teen drama returns for a fourth season.

The Intruder
    After moving into their Napa Valley dream house, a couple realizes that the strange seller isn't quite as motivated to move on.

A Family
    Taken in by the yakuza at a young age, Kenji swears allegiance to his old-school boss, pledging to adhere to the family code amid ever-changing times.
    The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals Season 1
    With an eye for every budget, three travelers visit vacation rentals around the globe and share their expert tips and tricks in this reality series.

Rurouni Kenshin: Origins
    In 1868, after the Bakumatsu war ends, the ex-assassin Kenshin Himura traverses Japan with an inverted sword, to defend the needy without killing.
    Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno
    Warrior turned pacifist Kenshin Himura reluctantly takes on a vile assassin scheming to topple the Meiji government with help from some hired killers.

Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends
    Kenshin trains with his master to learn the final techniques he needs to stop Shishio from taking down the government and plunging Japan into chaos

Rurouni Kenshin: The Final
    In 1879, Kenshin and his allies face their strongest enemy yet: his former brother-in-law Enishi Yukishiro and his minions, who've vowed their revenge.

So Not Worth It Season 1
    New friends, new loves and new experiences mix together inside a colorful college dormitory in Korea that's home to students from around the world.

Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow
    The Earth Federation warship White Base and its Gundam pilot Amuro Ray struggle to make it back through enemy territory, pursued by Zeon's warriors.

Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space
    The Earth Federation prepares to take the war into the Duchy of Zeon's home territory. Veteran pilot Amuro Ray returns to space for the final battle.

added

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dead Don't Die is an odd one, I thought it was quite funny but overall it didn't really work. It's still definitely a Jim Jarmusch film despite the trailer making it look like Zombieland.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Dead Don't Die is an odd one, I thought it was quite funny but overall it didn't really work. It's still definitely a Jim Jarmusch film despite the trailer making it look like Zombieland.

yeah i really wanted to like it , it was too deadpan for its own good , kept expecting it to pick up but it didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Mickeroo wrote: »

I watched 20 minutes of it and then went to bed.

Stellar cast though, and tbh it hasn't really gotten started yet, but i feel it will not live up to the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm looking forward to watching fatherhood tonight, I know he's not to everyones tastes but myself and the wife will watch Kevin Hart in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Rurouni Kenshin 2012/2014 movies are excellent. I have watched them a few times over the years.

Takeru Satoh is a wonderful actor, amazing - a real star. If you haven't seen the movies, you're in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Rurouni Kenshin 2012/2014 movies are excellent. I have watched them a few times over the years.

Takeru Satoh is a wonderful actor, amazing - a real star. If you haven't seen the movies, you're in for a treat.

I thought it was the anime series :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Barna77 wrote: »
    I thought it was the anime series :(

No these are the series of movies based on the anime. They're excellent.

• Advertisement

Watched Divines tonight. French film about a young girl living in the suburbs of Paris who gets involved with a local dealer to make some fast cash. It's outstanding, it really is. It's a very familiar story, but the writing, directing and acting just elevate it so much. Highly recommend it.

Agree

Advertisement