Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What about not grazing and cutting early may?

No. There would be old grass on it from over the winter. It depends on the spring weather get the last 2 years you couldn't graze it until the end of march st least. 90 acres in it . You wouldn't get out to spread fertiliser on it either most springs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭straight

Green&Red wrote: »
    So is it second cut bales you milk off? Why would you use those instead of first cut silage?

I’d agree with Mahony on the bales off paddocks, ****e in = ****e out, if it’s stemmy going in you’ve the same issue when you open it

Bit of everything really I suppose. Am not long at this craic really and I'm just trying to learn the best way. I'd probably favour 2nd cut bales but the way things were the last few years all my bales were in front of the pit in one pile so I had to use them in whatever order they came in really. I never really noticed much of a difference in the tank. Cows are winding down in November anyway and they tip away in the spring until they get grass ASAP. Don't calve until Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

whelan2 wrote: »
    No. There would be old grass on it from over the winter. It depends on the spring weather get the last 2 years you couldn't graze it until the end of march st least. 90 acres in it . You wouldn't get out to spread fertiliser on it either most springs

Would you not consider sheep?
    Even lease the grazing for the winter to a sheepman

Green&Red wrote: »
    Would you not consider sheep?
    Even lease the grazing for the winter to a sheepman

Ha. I did that. Then we got a real cold spring with no growth and no grass for the cows. When the grass did grow it was lovely but I couldn't let the cows out as no grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Some might say that you're giving that 5k to the contractor and fertilizer merchant for the extra cut for the same volume of silage

Yes good point, but I'm spreading less fert per cut than previously- 80 units for 1st, 70 for 2nd and 60 for 3rd

Would have been 100 units of N for 1st abd 2nd cut previously
    2nd cut generally was as big as 1st cut

Contractor is charging 90e per cut vs 120 previously
    So bit more expensive that way but I've much more options with that silage than all bulky stuff

We'd have had 7/8t DM/crops handy with previous system, harvester be on its knees

Cows milking much better in spring and autumn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Put silage here is dry cow grub so aiming for low 70s dmd 25/30% dm ,2 cuts .silage for Milker’s is baled with aim to cut early may ,paddocks /fields are then topped and fertiliser /get slurry throughout summer with aim to cut after 30:35 days and get high 70s low 80s dmd .13 acres Maize also down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Ha. I did that. Then we got a real cold spring with no growth and no grass for the cows. When the grass did grow it was lovely but I couldn't let the cows out as no grass

Were the sheep roaming over the whole farm?

Were the sheep roaming over the whole farm?

No left 20% they weren't on but there was no growth. Can't remember the year, could have been 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭cosatron

No left 20% they weren't on but there was no growth. Can't remember the year, could have been 2009.

i think sheep do to much damage to grass on established leys. Great job on reseeded ground to thicken it up but that's about it.

Only way to manage them so as to have grass in spring is to block graze and back fence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

What's road access like.....I graze some very wet land in February and March good access and on of grazing.
    Fertilizer has to be spread with a quad and spreader.

These are the furthest away fields. Road access ok. But tbh they csn be totally saturated and you'd be doing more harm than good

cosatron wrote: »
    i think sheep do to much damage to grass on established leys. Great job on reseeded ground to thicken it up but that's about it.

I wouldn't agree with that. Sheep back on the farm here since 2017 after being absent for over 20 years. There has been a very noticeable improvement in the quality and thickness of the sward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I wouldn't agree with that. Sheep back on the farm here since 2017 after being absent for over 20 years. There has been a very noticeable improvement in the quality and thickness of the sward.

Neighbour who milks also has hoggets grazing for the winter. Tbh he's way ahead of mise with bovines only grazing. Don't know what quantities of fert he spreads. But he seems to be getting very high bulks of silage and grazing. The trick with sheep as with any grazing is have them on and off that ground. Mob grazing a fancy way of putting it.
    It's diversity of biology in it's own right.

what we found that when you let sheep out on the paddocks at the back end of year, they graze it too bare by their nature at a time when the grass and soil is trying to recover after a hard years grazing and the sheep doesn't give the soil structure and grass time to recover. We tried it a couple of times and we wouldn't be doing it again. Only time we use sheep is on reseeded ground. Now that might be just due to our location, soil type, weather etc.

cosatron wrote: »
    what we found that when you let sheep out on the paddocks at the back end of year, they graze it too bare by their nature at a time when the grass and soil is trying to recover after a hard years grazing and the sheep doesn't give the soil structure and grass time to recover. We tried it a couple of times and we wouldn't be doing it again. Only time we use sheep is on reseeded ground. Now that might be just due to our location, soil type, weather etc.

If they're over grazing it's not the sheeps fault!

If they're over grazing it's not the sheeps fault!

they weren't over grazing it and to be honest i knew that would be the reply. You have 2 posters on here saying that they don't agree with sheep grazing diary farms due to the nature of their farms. So is it very difficult for you to accept a differing opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Is that the reason you got back into them or do you just like hardship! I can see why pre quota lads had them on milking block but now surely a few extra cows would be as profitable and less hassle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Always kept sheep here along side dairy cows. And took some sh1t on here and other forums.

Management is the key and no 2 farms are the same and I wouldn't tell anyone how to run theirs and expect the same in return.

• Advertisement

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Is that the reason you got back into them or do you just like hardship! I can see why pre quota lads had them on milking block but now surely a few extra cows would be as profitable and less hassle?

I just like the hardship!

orm0nd wrote: »
    Always kept sheep here along side dairy cows. And took some sh1t on here and other forums.

Management is the key and no 2 farms are the same and I wouldn't tell anyone how to run theirs and expect the same in return.

I wouldn't say I was telling anyone how to run their farms, just merely stating that I found block grazing and back fencing to be beneficial to grass growth.

Got a carbon intensity figure on my milk statement today. 1.06.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonopat

Is this level of production possible on grazed grass and that amount of ration?
    https://twitter.com/Aiden_C7/status/1405180123071094784?s=19

jonopat wrote: »
    Is this level of production possible on grazed grass and that amount of ration?
    https://twitter.com/Aiden_C7/status/1405180123071094784?s=19

Fourth lactation cow ….yeadh def possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭alps

straight wrote: »
    Got a carbon intensity figure on my milk statement today. 1.06.

Whatvdoes that signify? I guess its a marketing measurement..

The dail made sure last night that you can discount it as a measure of your environmental effort..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I wouldn't say I was telling anyone how to run their farms, just merely stating that I found block grazing and back fencing to be beneficial to grass growth.

I wasn't referring to you specifically ( sorry if it came across as such )

I agree with you totally re block grazing and back fencing. If you search my posts in the sheep forum they will verify same.

We never allow sheep in longer than 48 hours after the cows. and includes closing for the winter.

It took us years to perfect the system and get the infrastructure in place anyhow I promise not to mention the white vermin any more in the dairy thread

alps wrote: »
    Whatvdoes that signify? I guess its a marketing measurement..

The dail made sure last night that you can discount it as a measure of your environmental effort..

I don't have a clue what it means. It's calculated from the questionnaire on my most recent bord bia inspection. I'm wondering is it about average or what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Mine was 1.02. Another load of bollox and a new stick to beat us with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

degetme wrote: »

More Carbon coming from the departments arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I don't have a clue what it means. It's calculated from the questionnaire on my most recent bord bia inspection. I'm wondering is it about average or what
    Did your co-op or Bord Bia send you any prior communication as to what this figure is. It's very unprofessional of them that you see this figure on your milk statement without any explanation.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Did your co-op or Bord Bia send you any prior communication as to what this figure is. It's very unprofessional of them that you see this figure on your milk statement without any explanation.

I wouldn't expect any more from them to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Growth fell off a cliff here, pegs nearly impossible to get into the ground. There is rain forecast but will take 50mm to properly turn it around here ha, so I'm stopping topping for the minute. Milking block sr is only 2.5cows/ha, that's our saving grace the minute.

degetme wrote: »

How?

The thing I don't like is how everyone knows your business now.
    Bord bia do the inspections, get the photographs, know your purchases and then it's all shared with your milk buyers.

20210618-145725.jpg

20210618-145803.jpg

It's not as rosy as farmers think it'll be.

20210617-120509.jpg

Granted there's different farming systems in Norway.

The thing I don't like is how everyone knows your business now.
    Bord bia do the inspections, get the photographs, know your purchases and then it's all shared with your milk buyers.

What's shared with your supplier? Outside of your pass/fail status, what else do they get?

Bord Bia run an accreditation system. All business buyers of our product require either independent accreditation or buyer accreditation of the whole production system.

I would be of the opinion that we are in a far better place having bord bia do our inspections rather than Danone or Nestle.

Boron ..great for leafy grazing ground and drought proofing.
    Not great if you want silage stem bulk.

Lesson learned.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Growth fell off a cliff here, pegs nearly impossible to get into the ground. There is rain forecast but will take 50mm to properly turn it around here ha, so I'm stopping topping for the minute. Milking block sr is only 2.5cows/ha, that's our saving grace the minute.

Our grass group mentor says topping is cheating. Last resort in his opinion.

Look if it works for you, who cares ?

• Advertisement

Everyone to there own but I’m calling that bull**** ,if u have top top we all have to do it ,not doing if makes a bad situation worse ,wether u have to top or mow for bales every paddock needs to see a mower before end may snd again in July ,and top in June depending on weather etc

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Everyone to there own but I’m calling that bull**** ,if u have top top we all have to do it ,not doing if makes a bad situation worse ,wether u have to top or mow for bales every paddock needs to see a mower before end may snd again in July ,and top in June depending on weather etc

Mechanical removal he calls it. Last resort. Bales more ideal if you have to resort to mechanical removal. Ah he's full of guff anyway. U know yourself, tis all grand on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Grass group mentor , what a title

1373 wrote: »
    Grass group mentor , what a title

Don't set your sights so low lad.

Following a bit of an eye opening lesson over Christmas from a colleague regarding his profitability, we decided to feed far stronger this year than we normally would. (only way to find out was tondo it for ourselves)

Our herd has a PD of minus 24 kg, so I would have been aprehensive about their capability to produce.

I wont make any assertions as to what the eventual conclusions of this project will be, but by **** are they producing??

Turned €11.76 / day for May at a feed input cost of €1.35..

Excited to see what the figures from a full year will throw up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Following a bit of an eye opening lesson over Christmas from a colleague regarding his profitability, we decided to feed far stronger this year than we normally would. (only way to find out was tondo it for ourselves)

Our herd has a PD of minus 24 kg, so I would have been aprehensive about their capability to produce.

I wont make any assertions as to what the eventual conclusions of this project will be, but by **** are they producing??

Have you put in what it would look like at different milk and feed prices? Any difference in conception rates showing yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

No need for that level imo
    If any way at all on the ball with the grass once a year seeing a mower between topping/premowing/bales is fine

We've 12 / 18 paddocks either topped or mowed for bales so far, 2 more are reseeds
    Rest we'll try mow for bales over the next couple of weeks
    Only needs to be corrected once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Is that a farm or a golf course you're running there mj! Would agree though I'm topping alot more than normal this year. Combination of poor growth and poor graze outs in May due to weather, followed by a burst of growth with a lot of N in grass to blame.

We find pre mowing is very successful here. Being doing it for years, I know it’s not everyone’s cup of a tea and a bit more labor intensive but the cows love it and clean paddocks very well and we get a good regrowth as we don’t mow it to tight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭ted_182

Whats far stronger? 4 kgs up from 1?

Advertisement