Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Last Dance (Netflix)

• 06-05-2020 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread for one of the most popular shows on at the moment. Are you enjoying it? Anything that surprised you about the bulls team of the nineties or the nba in general? I am personally enjoying it a lot, I loved the episode on Rodman. I had heard that the late 80s early 90s Pistons team were physical but it surprised me how physical they actually were.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Great documentary. I was in my early teens and we didn't have Sky for most of the 90s so I didn't know much about the NBA. I knew about Jordan/Chicago Bulls etc, but had no idea of the background battles going on. Must have been some amount of pressure on Jordan every time he went onto the court.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm enjoying it, Jordan comes across as an arrogant pr1ck but to be the best in the world at something means you have to be I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It absolutely is entertaining but it's little more than a Michael Jordan advert/propaganda piece.

This week's episode was basically a 20 minute Nike Air Jordan advert at the beginning (which worked on me because I seriously want a pair!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm not sure how I watched the NBA back then but I remember winning an art competition in 6th class for a drawing of Scottie Pippen in action and that was 93.

I'm only two episodes in but I'm not sure I see Jordan as arrogant. Confident in his own ability, yes but he always worked hard for the team. I have vague memories of the performance against the Celtics in the playoff but I hadn't remembered it anywhere near as good as it was. The reaction of Larry Bird after says it all.

Hard to believe Pippen was ridden rock solid for so long. Not a hope in hell anything like that would ever happen now with agents around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

You can't question the quality of a good ESPN documentary. I've had little to no interest in the NBA from a sporting perspective (probably because of lack of access to it during these golden years) but it clearly had such a cultural effect because a lot of this is familiar to me.

It's great having all this footage available, loved the dream team practice game segment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

No doubt its a Jordan approved show but if anything it shows him to have been even better than I remember him.

Unbelievable competitor and he turned up in all the big games. Clearly he had an arrogance but he had to have that to be the best player given the attention he was getting.

I remember in school in the mid 90s and he was the biggest star on the planet. It was the same as the Tiger mania from 97 -2002/3. He was so far ahead of everyone else playing at the time. A guy in our class got a pair of Jordan 6s from the US at one stage and he was nearly robbed of them!

Its well made IMO. Im watching the episodes as soon as they drop and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    No doubt its a Jordan approved show but if anything it shows him to have been even better than I remember him.

It is, the footage is from 97/98 and the only thing that held the documentary from being made was Jordan wouldn't permit it, he only gave the go-ahead in 2016.

I wouldn't have been too clued in on basketball or the appeal of Jordan himself so this has been an eye opener, really enjoying it. Also the fact they've spaced out the uploads rather than all in one go.

Scottie Pippin my fave here, love his droll delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

I had heard that the late 80s early 90s Pistons team were physical but it surprised me how physical they actually were.

There's a good espn documentary on that pistons team called bad boys or bad boy pistons

Free 7 day trial on the espn player too, some good stuff on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

It is, the footage is from 97/98 and the only thing that held the documentary from being made was Jordan wouldn't permit it, he only gave the go-ahead in 2016.

I wouldn't have been too clued in on basketball or the appeal of Jordan himself so this has been an eye opener, really enjoying it. Also the fact they've spaced out the uploads rather than all in one go.

Scottie Pippin my fave here, love his droll delivery.

Scottie could release a smooth jazz album with his voice.

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    There's a good espn documentary on that pistons team called bad boys or bad boy pistons

Thanks! I'll try and give it a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

I think it's great, what a sportsman. Phil Jackson is an interesting character, pippin is cool out. That Jerry dude though, what a **** head.

Mj's father seems like a good guy too. I'm mad to Watch documentarys on a lot of the characters on it but I don't want to know how the last dance actually ends until I watch the netflicks one.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Macdarack wrote: »
    I think it's great, what a sportsman. Phil Jackson is an interesting character, pippin is cool out. That Jerry dude though, what a **** head.

Definitely gonna try find stuff on Phil Jackson after this is over, I see he won a further 5 championships with the Lakers after he left the Bulls. Leaving him with 11 overall. Incredible really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Doc is very good, saw 8/10 shows so far, and it holds up. Certainly is very much MJ approved, but shows up some of the nasty edges of him too. Brilliant access though to all the players, from different teams, hard to see anything like that on say an EPL team. Worth a watch alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Buttros

I was looking for this too. It's on BT sport this Saturday afternoon as well.

Doc is very good, saw 8/10 shows so far, and it holds up. Certainly is very much MJ approved, but shows up some of the nasty edges of him too. Brilliant access though to all the players, from different teams, hard to see anything like that on say an EPL team. Worth a watch alright.

How have you Watched 8 episodes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm not sure how I watched the NBA back then

Yeah I was trying to remember how I watched it, was there a highlights show on Channel 4 or something a bit like Football Italia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Macdarack wrote: »

I have yeah for what it's worth,streamed it online. Is it all on Netflix or is released week by week? Think there's ten episodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Macdarack wrote:

They were all leaked last week I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Is that the 30 for 30 documentary? Watched it a few years ago and though it was brilliant. Gives a great account of the pistons side of things. They were some team in their own right! Would recommend to anyone enjoying the last dance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Yeah I was trying to remember how I watched it, was there a highlights show on Channel 4 or something a bit like Football Italia?

There used to be a highlights show in RTE back in the day. They did the NFL as well. Plus the 3pm cross channel kick offs. Amazing to think...ya wouldn't get it nowadays! Different times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I know for a fact I watched Jordan's final game for the Bulls live in a friends house. Obviously this was late at night/early morning. If pushed to say what station it was on, I would've said C4.

I was thinking ITV but I don't think they had coverage til later in the 90s.

Some of it would have been on Trans World Sport anyway (used to love that show as well...bit of everything).

4 episodes in and you get an insight into just why Phil Jackson was such a great coach. Not just the whole team approach but being able to manage someone like Rodman to get the best out of him

Watched up to episode 8. Love it but can't help feel it was blowing a lot of smoke up its own arse. Claiming Jordan was the most famous man on earth. Very American centric. Can't help but thinking, "its just basketball". Did anyone care in Ireland? I tried to watch one of the games on YouTube and it bored me to tears.

Watched up to episode 8. Love it but can't help feel it was blowing a lot of smoke up its own arse. Claiming Jordan was the most famous man on earth. Very American centric. Can't help but thinking, "its just basketball". Did anyone care in Ireland? I tried to watch one of the games on YouTube and it bored me to tears.

Basketball was never played in out school until Jordan and the Bulls. Then it took off where there were competitions.

And the Jumpman logo became a big thing.

He transcended sport. Maybe he wasn't the most famous man on earth but I think he was up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Anybody see episode 9 and 10 yet? If so will you tell me where to find them.

CWF wrote: »
    Anybody see episode 9 and 10 yet? If so will you tell me where to find them.

As far as I can tell, only up to episode 8 was leaked. Gotta wait until Netflix releases the last two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It wasn't supposed to be released until the summer so they are/were still editting the last few episodes while airing the first few, the accompanying podcast for each show is very interesting to listen to after watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Jordan was supposed to be an asshole in real life, and the doc def shows that. He ment to be a bad gambler and a prick when comes to losing .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Thanx4dafeedbk

Jordan was supposed to be an asshole in real life, and the doc def shows that. He ment to be a bad gambler and a prick when comes to losing .

Im not going to go calling him names or anything but it definitely did not show him im a great light. I watched it with the bird and we just turned it off disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Just finished the Rodman episode last night. Pistons looked like they were playing a different sport - so brutal and physical! Felt like the episode just ended at a strange point though. Seemed like there was more to cover, but maybe future episodes will uncover more.

Gotta feel for Scottie Pippen in a way - locking himself into such a long contract to guarantee himself payment (which it seems was very necessary with a large family to look out for), but then becoming one of the best players in the league and putting in incredible performances.

Krauss getting the plaudits he so desperately wanted - but also acknowledging that he caused a lot of problems. Did well to piece together the team and some shrewd moves, but the need to be recognised looks like it got the better of him.

Really enjoying it so far.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭ollkiller

He is a prick when it comes to losing. I'm ok with that. His drive to succeed is blatantly apparent.

Lived the bulls as a teenager so obviously I'm loving this doc. Amazing footage and insights. And it shows Jordan's darker side so at least it's not a whitewash. Pippen and Rodman episodes are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I loved the bulls and their rise and success. I used to get updated from relatives in US but watched it on C4 real late at night , when I was a teen. It was hard to put into words how good Jordan was and how great the partnership with Pippin was, Rodman was class and so wild. Phil the coach just seemed to bring it all together.
    On Jordan , should anyone be surprised with his self belief and high standards, you often see same traits in those that dominate their sports. You also see people trying to knock them from their pedestal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Thanx4dafeedbk

MAJJ wrote: »
    I loved the bulls and their rise and success. I used to get updated from relatives in US but watched it on C4 real late at night , when I was a teen. It was hard to put into words how good Jordan was and how great the partnership with Pippin was, Rodman was class and so wild. Phil the coach just seemed to bring it all together.
    On Jordan , should anyone be surprised with his self belief and high standards, you often see same traits in those that dominate their sports. You also see people trying to knock them from their pedestal.

Agree on that its the same in every sport. Indeed even in soccer you see it with Liverpool now and trying to knock us.

Hamilton,Joshua, Mcillroy all different sports but all characters that divide opinion.

Basketball was never played in out school until Jordan and the Bulls. Then it took off where there were competitions.

And the Jumpman logo became a big thing.

He transcended sport. Maybe he wasn't the most famous man on earth but I think he was up there.

Wasn't the most famous man but he was definitely the most famous sportsman at the time.

• Advertisement

To be fair, he at least went and congratulated the victors when he was on the losing team. He was right in his assessment of the Pistons walking off when they were swept. Now THAT'S being an aśshole when you lose.

But most great sportspeople don't take losing very well. If you have that drive to be the best, to always want to win, you're not going to be happy to lose.

Is he a pleasant person in real life? Who knows. Does he need to be? He was a phenomenon on the court.

The anecdote about Rodman being dragged out of bed to go training after a blowout in Vegas and then racing ahead of them all in training was hilarious. Reminded me of the story of Timmy Docherty wanting to drop George Best for being out the night before w came but had to play him because of injuries. Best scores a hat trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

ollkiller wrote: »
    He is a prick when it comes to losing. I'm ok with that. His drive to succeed is blatantly apparent.

This.

I am more than willing to accept someone that hates losing so much that they turn into a d**k when it happens especially in team sports it drives others to be better.

I'm only watching them as they come onto netflix but I've found the series very enjoyable so far. I feel like Jordan learnt alot from the first play off loss to the pistons and knew the team had to grow some steel in order to win a championship and took it upon himself to make sure every player had that steel by being a hard ass. You can see how much he strived to be held in the same category as magic and Larry bird. And to take a quote from floyd Mayweather 'it ain't cocky if your backing it up' believe in your own ability and strive to be the best.

Heart has to go out to pippin the organisation may have sensed the desperation to get paid and just rail roaded him. Rodman just seems like a rogue canon but they got him to believe in the team and he gave it his all every time.

And jackson deserves the huge respect he gets 11 championships granted he had star players in mj and Kobe but he obviously had the knack of managing big egos and getting the best out of them.

Jordan was definitely up there with the biggest sport stars in the world Paris is hardly a hotbed for basketball and look at the reaction he got there and all over the world

As an aside, and given the perfectly tailored suits you see nowadays, the suits Jordan wore look hilarious. Fitted him like a young lad wearing his dad's suit.

Heart has to go out to pippin the organisation may have sensed the desperation to get paid and just rail roaded him

It was made even worse by the fact that he accepted it because he wanted to be able to look after his family.

Such a different time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

As an aside, and given the perfectly tailored suits you see nowadays, the suits Jordan wore look hilarious. Fitted him like a young lad wearing his dad's suit.

Pippen's suits even funnier imo. Like David Byrne in Stop Making Sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I was amused by the suits too, fashion really is an odd beast, today's cool is tomorrow's cringe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Any reason MJ never went to Lakers with Phil?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Any reason MJ never went to Lakers with Phil?

He didn't have to and he had shown an interest in ownership so wherever he was going to go was going to have to an ownership option involved which was never on the table with the Lakers or any established franchise which is probably 1 of the reasons he ended up with the Wizards.

Can't have been as sore as the pistons who wouldn't shake hands when they lost to the bulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

I'd heard the stories about MJ being an Ahole

But from what I've seen my estimation of him has gone way up, I can't help admire his work ethic and will to win

I find Netflix documentaries really hard to watch. They bombard you with snippets and sound bytes which are nothing more than filler. There is very little story content and progression is so slow I actually feel like i am still waiting for the documentary to start a proper well into the show.

I watched episode 1 of this and it is no different. I am interested in this story but I think the reality is there is actually very little content to be told and this is going to be stretched out and filled with shots of Mochael Jordan slam dunking. The man was a fantastic player, but shot after shot of him shooting hoops is very tedious and not what I would consider a good documentary or even good television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

I find Netflix documentaries really hard to watch. They bombard you with snippets and sound bytes which are nothing more than filler. There is very little story content and progression is so slow I actually feel like i am still waiting for the documentary to start a proper well into the show.

I watched episode 1 of this and it is no different. I am interested in this story but I think the reality is there is actually very little content to be told and this is going to be stretched out and filled with shots of Mochael Jordan slam dunking. The man was a fantastic player, but shot after shot of him shooting hoops is very tedious and not what I would consider a good documentary or even good television.
    Their TV shows are not much better

Once you've seen one you've seen them all

It's a long way from endless shots of Jordan scoring.

As an aside, it's not just a Netflix doc. It's ESPN with Netflix as partners but essentially made by ESPN with people who made some of their 30-for-30 docs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I only found out this morning that when Jordan left the bulls, Pippen & the lads won the championship again without him. Pippen had a phenomenal year by all accounts.

It’s interesting that Jordan couldn’t win without Pippen & Phil Jackson, but they didn’t need him to win.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I only found out this morning that when Jordan left the bulls, Pippen & the lads won the championship again without him. Pippen had a phenomenal year by all accounts.

It’s interesting that Jordan couldn’t win without Pippen & Phil Jackson, but they didn’t need him to win.

What year did they win without him because he was the MVP for every finals they ever won and the only year he wasn't overall MVP was in 93 when Barkley was MVP

• Advertisement
Advertisement