Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Dance (Netflix)

Options
  • 06-05-2020 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread for one of the most popular shows on at the moment. Are you enjoying it? Anything that surprised you about the bulls team of the nineties or the nba in general? I am personally enjoying it a lot, I loved the episode on Rodman. I had heard that the late 80s early 90s Pistons team were physical but it surprised me how physical they actually were.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Great documentary. I was in my early teens and we didn't have Sky for most of the 90s so I didn't know much about the NBA. I knew about Jordan/Chicago Bulls etc, but had no idea of the background battles going on. Must have been some amount of pressure on Jordan every time he went onto the court.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm enjoying it, Jordan comes across as an arrogant pr1ck but to be the best in the world at something means you have to be I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It absolutely is entertaining but it's little more than a Michael Jordan advert/propaganda piece.

This week's episode was basically a 20 minute Nike Air Jordan advert at the beginning (which worked on me because I seriously want a pair!).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm not sure how I watched the NBA back then but I remember winning an art competition in 6th class for a drawing of Scottie Pippen in action and that was 93.

I'm only two episodes in but I'm not sure I see Jordan as arrogant. Confident in his own ability, yes but he always worked hard for the team. I have vague memories of the performance against the Celtics in the playoff but I hadn't remembered it anywhere near as good as it was. The reaction of Larry Bird after says it all.

Hard to believe Pippen was ridden rock solid for so long. Not a hope in hell anything like that would ever happen now with agents around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

You can't question the quality of a good ESPN documentary. I've had little to no interest in the NBA from a sporting perspective (probably because of lack of access to it during these golden years) but it clearly had such a cultural effect because a lot of this is familiar to me.

It's great having all this footage available, loved the dream team practice game segment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

No doubt its a Jordan approved show but if anything it shows him to have been even better than I remember him.

Unbelievable competitor and he turned up in all the big games. Clearly he had an arrogance but he had to have that to be the best player given the attention he was getting.

I remember in school in the mid 90s and he was the biggest star on the planet. It was the same as the Tiger mania from 97 -2002/3. He was so far ahead of everyone else playing at the time. A guy in our class got a pair of Jordan 6s from the US at one stage and he was nearly robbed of them!

Its well made IMO. Im watching the episodes as soon as they drop and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    No doubt its a Jordan approved show but if anything it shows him to have been even better than I remember him.

It is, the footage is from 97/98 and the only thing that held the documentary from being made was Jordan wouldn't permit it, he only gave the go-ahead in 2016.

I wouldn't have been too clued in on basketball or the appeal of Jordan himself so this has been an eye opener, really enjoying it. Also the fact they've spaced out the uploads rather than all in one go.

Scottie Pippin my fave here, love his droll delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

I had heard that the late 80s early 90s Pistons team were physical but it surprised me how physical they actually were.

There's a good espn documentary on that pistons team called bad boys or bad boy pistons

Free 7 day trial on the espn player too, some good stuff on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

It is, the footage is from 97/98 and the only thing that held the documentary from being made was Jordan wouldn't permit it, he only gave the go-ahead in 2016.

I wouldn't have been too clued in on basketball or the appeal of Jordan himself so this has been an eye opener, really enjoying it. Also the fact they've spaced out the uploads rather than all in one go.

Scottie Pippin my fave here, love his droll delivery.

Scottie could release a smooth jazz album with his voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    There's a good espn documentary on that pistons team called bad boys or bad boy pistons

Thanks! I'll try and give it a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

I think it's great, what a sportsman. Phil Jackson is an interesting character, pippin is cool out. That Jerry dude though, what a **** head.

Mj's father seems like a good guy too. I'm mad to Watch documentarys on a lot of the characters on it but I don't want to know how the last dance actually ends until I watch the netflicks one.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Macdarack wrote: »
    I think it's great, what a sportsman. Phil Jackson is an interesting character, pippin is cool out. That Jerry dude though, what a **** head.

Definitely gonna try find stuff on Phil Jackson after this is over, I see he won a further 5 championships with the Lakers after he left the Bulls. Leaving him with 11 overall. Incredible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Doc is very good, saw 8/10 shows so far, and it holds up. Certainly is very much MJ approved, but shows up some of the nasty edges of him too. Brilliant access though to all the players, from different teams, hard to see anything like that on say an EPL team. Worth a watch alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

I was looking for this too. It's on BT sport this Saturday afternoon as well.

Doc is very good, saw 8/10 shows so far, and it holds up. Certainly is very much MJ approved, but shows up some of the nasty edges of him too. Brilliant access though to all the players, from different teams, hard to see anything like that on say an EPL team. Worth a watch alright.

How have you Watched 8 episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,481 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm not sure how I watched the NBA back then

Yeah I was trying to remember how I watched it, was there a highlights show on Channel 4 or something a bit like Football Italia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Macdarack wrote: »

I have yeah for what it's worth,streamed it online. Is it all on Netflix or is released week by week? Think there's ten episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Macdarack wrote:

They were all leaked last week I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Is that the 30 for 30 documentary? Watched it a few years ago and though it was brilliant. Gives a great account of the pistons side of things. They were some team in their own right! Would recommend to anyone enjoying the last dance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Yeah I was trying to remember how I watched it, was there a highlights show on Channel 4 or something a bit like Football Italia?

There used to be a highlights show in RTE back in the day. They did the NFL as well. Plus the 3pm cross channel kick offs. Amazing to think...ya wouldn't get it nowadays! Different times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I know for a fact I watched Jordan's final game for the Bulls live in a friends house. Obviously this was late at night/early morning. If pushed to say what station it was on, I would've said C4.

I was thinking ITV but I don't think they had coverage til later in the 90s.

Some of it would have been on Trans World Sport anyway (used to love that show as well...bit of everything).

4 episodes in and you get an insight into just why Phil Jackson was such a great coach. Not just the whole team approach but being able to manage someone like Rodman to get the best out of him

Watched up to episode 8. Love it but can't help feel it was blowing a lot of smoke up its own arse. Claiming Jordan was the most famous man on earth. Very American centric. Can't help but thinking, "its just basketball". Did anyone care in Ireland? I tried to watch one of the games on YouTube and it bored me to tears.

Watched up to episode 8. Love it but can't help feel it was blowing a lot of smoke up its own arse. Claiming Jordan was the most famous man on earth. Very American centric. Can't help but thinking, "its just basketball". Did anyone care in Ireland? I tried to watch one of the games on YouTube and it bored me to tears.

Basketball was never played in out school until Jordan and the Bulls. Then it took off where there were competitions.

And the Jumpman logo became a big thing.

He transcended sport. Maybe he wasn't the most famous man on earth but I think he was up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Anybody see episode 9 and 10 yet? If so will you tell me where to find them.

CWF wrote: »
    Anybody see episode 9 and 10 yet? If so will you tell me where to find them.

As far as I can tell, only up to episode 8 was leaked. Gotta wait until Netflix releases the last two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It wasn't supposed to be released until the summer so they are/were still editting the last few episodes while airing the first few, the accompanying podcast for each show is very interesting to listen to after watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Jordan was supposed to be an asshole in real life, and the doc def shows that. He ment to be a bad gambler and a prick when comes to losing .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Thanx4dafeedbk

Jordan was supposed to be an asshole in real life, and the doc def shows that. He ment to be a bad gambler and a prick when comes to losing .

Im not going to go calling him names or anything but it definitely did not show him im a great light. I watched it with the bird and we just turned it off disappointed.

Advertisement