Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Dance (Netflix)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Really enjoyed this not into basketball in any way

Jordan is some man every team or business needs a man like that in it

Completely driven and unapologetic for it

Not many of them left or willing to openly admit it now

Refreshing

Not everbodys cup of tea I know

Great series

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Clareman wrote: »
    Stuff like training with college players when injured, Olympic training, Space Jam training, the guy really put in the work to make himself the best but I never got the impression that he "loved" the game at any stage, it always seems to have been the job.

Of course he loved the game. When he was playing baseball he was still going to games like any supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He loved the game to a level most of us can't understand

He demanded perfection from his team mates

And he got it

When's the last two out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

When's the last two out?

Both are out later today!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Really enjoyed this not into basketball in any way

Jordan is some man every team or business needs a man like that in it

Completely driven and unapologetic for it

Not many of them left or willing to openly admit it now

Refreshing

Not everbodys cup of tea I know

Great series

If you mean every team needs the greatest player of all time , we’ll then yes but hardly feasible , if you mean his way of leadership , then no it fails more than it works .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

And that's it over :(

Have to say I really enjoyed that whole show, I can see how Jordan can have "what if" questions about getting the 7th, but surely having that makes it even better, better to have htem bow out as champions than peter out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Great show. Having not really followed the NBA over the years it's fascinating to read that
    the bulls have not won since. Also Phil Jackson won 5 more NBA titles with the Lakers and Steve Kerr is a very impressive guy. Nothing but respect for him after that final couple of episodes. He won 2 more titles as a player with the Suns not to mention also going on to coach the Golden State Warriors to the last 5 NBA finals winning 3
    . Spoilered just in case anyone doesn't want to know what has happened to some of the guys in the documentary since '98.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I had to look up Steve Kerr there to see what he's at, he looks small on the show, according to Wiki he's 6"3, that's not small by any means, just shows the size of some of these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Thought I'd start a thread for one of the most popular shows on at the moment. Are you enjoying it? Anything that surprised you about the bulls team of the nineties or the nba in general? I am personally enjoying it a lot, I loved the episode on Rodman. I had heard that the late 80s early 90s Pistons team were physical but it surprised me how physical they actually were.

It is very good in fairness I am as fair as s1 e6. I remember some basketball used to be only channel four in the 90's. Brother was more into it than I was. I was a casual watcher.

I vividly remember Jordan getting a shot to win a game/championship in the last second.
    No idea what game but it turns out from the netflix thing he seemed to do that a lot.

What surprised me was how driven Jordan was. He wanted to the best every-game no let up. Loved any form of competition no matter what sport or game.
    Really wanted to crush any challenger or any young upstart. Wanted the MVP every year. That was the constant in every episode I saw so far.

I don't know how he did it so consistently with all that with media attention on him non-stop.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you mean every team needs the greatest player of all time , we’ll then yes but hardly feasible , if you mean his way of leadership , then no it fails more than it works .

Was listening to a podcast at the weekend and they were discussing if he was a good teammate and there was a quote: "Michael Jordan without the rings is Jimmy Butler". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Yes very much the Roy Keane of Basketball.

Good shout!
    Also very similar to Cristiano Ronaldo in that he wanted to be the best at all times, MVP etc and used and perceived slight to improve his performance to an even higher level.

Maybe he'd have found another 1% if he stopped puffing cigars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just up to E3 and its a good watch. Im not a basketball fan as I find it too up and down and very easy to score but it is amazing watching the athleticism of some of the scores by Jordan, especially when he is knocked off balance mid air and then still somehow manages to get it in off the glass.

With Pippen I felt sorry for him being no.2 MVP but getting paid 127th best salary in the NBA. Him or his agent really cocked up there. Thought the owner was a bit of a bollox not putting the situation at least someway right, I know a contract is a contract and all that but humans are humans and if someone is vastly underpaid they're naturally going to be vastly under-motivated. Surprised that Jordan himself didnt intervene and try to put it right given Scotties importance to his own game.

Scottie was wrong for what he did with the surgery but at that stage he was beyond caring. I doubt you'd get away with pulling that kind of stunt these days, would imagine modern contracts state that you'll go under the knife whenever the team doctor says you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yes very much the Roy Keane of Basketball.

earlytobed wrote: »
    Good shout!
    Also very similar to Cristiano Ronaldo in that he wanted to be the best at all times, MVP etc and used and perceived slight to improve his performance to an even higher level.

Maybe he'd have found another 1% if he stopped puffing cigars :)

The cigars were gas alright. I did think he was like Roy Keane at one stage. But Jordan is on another level. Did not go easy in training, no such thing as a friendly game.
    And we all know from Siapan that Roy Keane did not play in frendlies.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Carmen Electra still holding up well too. Nice to see! :-p

Just watched episode 9. Had already liked Steve Kerr but great to see the back story. He makes himself out to be a limited player that worked hard. Looking at his career numbers, it's clear he underplays how good he was.

Another thing that you see across the episodes was Jordan publically talking about the team, about a unit. Giving other guys the credit. Again, maybe it was presented like that and I don't think I ever saw much of the off-court stuff at the time but it does stick out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just finished 10, and as Jordan was my teenhood hero, that was just a magical watch. Lost for words....

I don't fully understand why the team fall apart. Why did Jerry Kraus want Jackson gone. Why didn't Jackson want another year when it was offered. Why did they trade away all the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I don't fully understand why the team fall apart. Why did Jerry Kraus want Jackson gone. Why didn't Jackson want another year when it was offered. Why did they trade away all the players.

Bit like why fergie got rid of lads before they went over the hill? Fellas are worthless if you let it go too long

Bit like why fergie got rid of lads before they went over the hill? Fellas are worthless if you let it go too long

But they'd just one three in a row. I don't know enough football to get the fergie reference.

• Advertisement

The only bit I felt the docu was missing was right at the very end where they listed what happened to Phil Jackson and the players after that season. Released, traded, retired etc....
    They could have elaborated more on the likes of Jackson and Kerr who went on to have even success in their respective coaching careers...a line or two on each would have been nice or even mention how the bulls have never won a championship since!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

#spoileralert-Last 2 episodes were magic. Karl Malone, Reggie miller, the Steve Kerr back story, Rodman and WWE, the 'flu game' and pizzagate, picture perfect finish for championship number 6. Even the final team meeting was unique. Wow, haven't seen too many sports docs better than that and I've seen a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

He didn’t think they would be worth the contract they would demand and it would be better to trade them for younger players and rebuild.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fantastic last 2 episodes. I remember watching that WWE at the time thinking wtf???

Thoroughly enjoyable !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

My interest in basketball would be fairly limited, but this was a very entertaining watch.

Some amount of amazing editing - the two different timelines, lots of people's backstories and all edited together seamlessly to be a constantly absorbing whole.

Lots of dynamite footage. I found myself rewinding several times each episode to fully catch what I'd just seen. Like I said, no major fan of basketball, but so much of what was on display were clearly near superhuman feats of greatness.

My favourite moment was the buzzer beater shot against Cleveland in '89 - the one where he goes absolutely nuts after scoring - how he delayed that split second long enough to give himself that extra space over the leaping Cleveland player while he was already in mid-air himself... pretty cool. Add to that the pressure of the situation.

If I had any criticism it'd be maybe that the show didn't really focus on the significance of Jordan as a cultural figure in America and in the world during the 90's. It did a bit, but I thought it could have been a deeper experience if perhaps they had looked at Jordan's impact in terms of discussions about race and class in America, as well as the sporting success.

But, it's definitely up there in terms of one of the most entertaining and fascinating documentary series of all time. It was a glimpse of what it takes to win at the highest level and for the longest time. During episode one and two when we saw Jordan shtting on people it was easy to think he was an asshole. To be honest, by the end, I really liked the guy. He was just absolutely driven to win and would let nothing stop in his way - and he didn't apologise for it or attempt to hide it. That's fair enough really. Obviously, his ego is still enormous, but, fck it, he was the greatest of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just watched episode 9. Had already liked Steve Kerr but great to see the back story. He makes himself out to be a limited player that worked hard. Looking at his career numbers, it's clear he underplays how good he was.

Another thing that you see across the episodes was Jordan publically talking about the team, about a unit. Giving other guys the credit. Again, maybe it was presented like that and I don't think I ever saw much of the off-court stuff at the time but it does stick out.

Kerr seems very humble and modest but I don't doubt for a second that he knew exactly what it took to get where he wanted. The fact he recognised Paxson as the spot he needed shows how focused he was.
    Reminds me a bit of Andy Robertson at Liverpool, you can have all the truly world class players but your team needs the honest joe type players too.

Karl Malone was an absolute unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just up to E3 and its a good watch. Im not a basketball fan as I find it too up and down and very easy to score but it is amazing watching the athleticism of some of the scores by Jordan, especially when he is knocked off balance mid air and then still somehow manages to get it in off the glass.

With Pippen I felt sorry for him being no.2 MVP but getting paid 127th best salary in the NBA. Him or his agent really cocked up there. Thought the owner was a bit of a bollox not putting the situation at least someway right, I know a contract is a contract and all that but humans are humans and if someone is vastly underpaid they're naturally going to be vastly under-motivated. Surprised that Jordan himself didnt intervene and try to put it right given Scotties importance to his own game.

Scottie was wrong for what he did with the surgery but at that stage he was beyond caring. I doubt you'd get away with pulling that kind of stunt these days, would imagine modern contracts state that you'll go under the knife whenever the team doctor says you will.
    Buckle up, Buckaroo! You're in for a hell of a ride on the Pippen train.
    I've been a huge fan of his since NBA Jam!

Jackson is some coach too, I loved his "it's only a distraction for you guys" to the media, straight down the lens too.
    One thing I think I missed, may not have been paying attention at that time but did they explain how he stayed after 93 even though Krause said he was gone?

razorblunt wrote: »
    Kerr seems very humble and modest but I don't doubt for a second that he knew exactly what it took to get where he wanted. The fact he recognised Paxson as the spot he needed shows how focused he was.
    Reminds me a bit of Andy Robertson at Liverpool, you can have all the truly world class players but your team needs the honest joe type players too.

I don't doubt it. Just underplays his ability given his career. And you could see Jordan respected him because he knew he could count on him in a battle.

It was cool seeing the respect between Jordan and Miller before the game given how feisty things were on the court between them.

It's a surprise that they left out the missed free throws by Malone when they were tied 82-82 especially with the story that Pippen allegedly said to him when he was at the free throw line "The Mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays"

Just on Karl Malone, great to see him come onto the bus after the game and congratulate the team and Jordan in particular. A touch of class.. in absolute contrast to the pistons walking off with time still on the clock. Also, always sad to see him and Stockton, (one of the greatest point guards of all time) they never won a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Furryglove

Comparing Roy Keane to MJ is insulting, the man had the best skills in the world and was operating way before Keane, also he didn’t go out to injure people, Keane wouldn’t last in MJs world

Advertisement