Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

gg2 wrote: »
    What is the picture?? Let me know what I'm in for first :o

It's of a fluffy lamb cuddling a baby duck in a field of buttercups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

about 3 months ago maybe 4 i was asleep in me bed an woke up in the bathroom....with no recollection of how i got there....freaky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    about 3 months ago maybe 4 i was asleep in me bed an woke up in the bathroom....with no recollection of how i got there....freaky

In a very tired state you woke up to use the toilet and fell asleep there.

Next

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

A few months ago, I was sitting in the kitchen reading a book when the glass sugarbowl on the counter behind me exploded out of the blue.

It's my parents house, they had it built, so no awesome lunatic asylum backstory or anything. And I'm generally fairly skeptical, so no theories. It was just hugely unsettling, an inanimate object exploding for no reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

A few months ago, I was sitting in the kitchen reading a book when the glass sugarbowl on the counter behind me exploded out of the blue.

It's my parents house, they had it built, so no awesome lunatic asylum backstory or anything. And I'm generally fairly skeptical, so no theories. It was just hugely unsettling, an inanimate object exploding for no reason at all.

That reminds me of when I saw my GFs cooker outer glass explode all over the kitchen. Mind you it was an hour after we had some guy in to do a cooker clean for 20 eu off livingsocial.ie. Not creepy, just scared the crap out of me at the time. Probably cleaning products + years of heat stress set it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Had a massive shouting match with somebody a while ago, then when I turned on the light directly afterwards they all blew.

Not very creepy at all, just an odd coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Glass bowls explode quite a bit. Years ago when I was only a kid my older sisters where making a meal for my parent's wedding anniversary and they were mixing prawn cocktail in a glass bowl that my mother had used for years. When they'd finished mixing it they put it on the table and about 2 minutes later it exploded into little fragments. It was either because they used a metal spoon to stir it or some of the refrigerated ingredients caused the glass to expand/contract.

This puts it quite well.
    "Glass" generally refers to a transparent matrix, usually soda-lime and silica (Pyrex has its own formula, which is a fluid, having no true molecular bonds. It just so happens that at the temperatures at which humans can survive, it behaves as if it were a solid. Glass needs to be tempered and/or annealed, heating and cooling treatments to reduce internal stress and resist rapid temperature shifts. The key to this matrix surviving is a pristine surface. When the martix is cooling from the molten state, the surface forms an hard, glossy "enamel" resistent to chemical interaction. However, if this enamel is disrupted, the matrix will begin preferentially bonding with oxygen and water molecules. And as this bonding continues, a "discontinuity" in the fluid begins to form, and propagate.

And eventually, usually under stress (such as rapid temperature shift, vibrations, a good hit), but sometimes simply due to the development of this disassociation over time, the glass will arrive at a critical point and fail. The glass enamel is ruptured by inpact, repeated frictive contact with other glass, nesting is not a really good thing, and is easily disrupted by contact with metal. And that's why sparkling wine is bottles in new bottles, only. And why you should have that tiny chip in the windshield attend to ASAP.

So possibly there were vibrations that the sugar bowl could 'feel' but you couldn't as there wouldn't have been any rapid temperature variations in a sugar bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

A good few freaky things have happened to myself and my family but they are too long to explain them all here . at the moment
    The stories of things exploding just reminded me of something that happened to me about 2/3 years ago. I was lying on the couch in the sitting room reading a book, I was the only one home at the time and the tv, radio etc. were off so the house was very quiet. We live in the middle of nowhere so we have no close neighbours either.
    Anyway next thing I heard an massive explosion of glass from the next room (the "good sitting room") and I ran in thinking something had smashed the window or the glass lampshade had fallen or something.
    The funny thing is though that absolutely nothing was broken in the room. I searched the place and found nothing. I still can't explain it to this day. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I had left a sliced pan (one of the square "toast" ones) sitting on the counter on its side, with a pack of Ryvita on top of it. It was pushed back against the wall.

Woke up the next morning to find the bread (still neatly wrapped) sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, on its own. Ryvita was sitting on the counter in the same spot. All doors and windows were locked. Felt a bit unnerved at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Ice Storm wrote: »
    That used to happen to me quite regularly! :(

I'd wake up convinced that there was a spider or something crawling on me and I would throw myself out of bed and turn the light on. I'd be pulling the bed apart when I'd realise that it must have been a dream. :o

I get this alot too. Am terrified of spiders and so many times I'm up out of bed frantically searching the room until I wake up and realise I was dreaming... have had the ones too where you see a figure standing at the end of the bed so scary :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Thoie wrote: »
    I had left a sliced pan (one of the square "toast" ones) sitting on the counter on its side, with a pack of Ryvita on top of it. It was pushed back against the wall.

Woke up the next morning to find the bread (still neatly wrapped) sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, on its own. Ryvita was sitting on the counter in the same spot. All doors and windows were locked. Felt a bit unnerved at the time.
    Any chance it was a rat who got startled by a noise and took off? We had rats once *shudder* and they used to get into the press and take away the bread. Dirty filthy creatures. I remember going to bed one night and I could hear the fcukers running around in the attic. Poison soon sorted the problem but I can still hear their claws scrapping along the ceiling :eek:

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Any chance it was a rat who got startled by a noise and took off? We had rats once *shudder* and they used to get into the press and take away the bread. Dirty filthy creatures.

I'm fairly paranoid about rodents of any kind (despite leaving the sliced pan on the counter that night), but haven't seen any signs of mice (or smelled any signs of rats). I was just coming on to report another weird kitchen occurrence. Went to bed, then realised I wanted a glass of water. Came back to the kitchen (about 5 minutes after leaving) to find a wine stopper in the middle of the kitchen floor. Can't even remember the last time I used it - it usually lives in a ramekin at the back of the counter with a few other bits and bobs.

It's a bit like this one, so not terribly heavy, but it doesn't roll either.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the fridge is vibrating slightly or something, and the vibrations are running through the counters. The fridge has been in place a long time without moving though (it's built in, so you can't even knock off it). I'm feeling foolish for even mentioning these in this thread, but it is creeping me out a little!

If I find a 3rd thing I'm going to borrow a camera and aim it at the kitchen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm fairly paranoid about rodents of any kind (despite leaving the sliced pan on the counter that night), but haven't seen any signs of mice (or smelled any signs of rats). I was just coming on to report another weird kitchen occurrence. Went to bed, then realised I wanted a glass of water. Came back to the kitchen (about 5 minutes after leaving) to find a wine stopper in the middle of the kitchen floor. Can't even remember the last time I used it - it usually lives in a ramekin at the back of the counter with a few other bits and bobs.

It's a bit like this one, so not terribly heavy, but it doesn't roll either.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the fridge is vibrating slightly or something, and the vibrations are running through the counters. The fridge has been in place a long time without moving though (it's built in, so you can't even knock off it). I'm feeling foolish for even mentioning these in this thread, but it is creeping me out a little!

If I find a 3rd thing I'm going to borrow a camera and aim it at the kitchen!

Do it now so you can capture the third one happening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Just your average ghostly presence captured in a window and sent to the Daily Mail here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2417504/Is-WW1-soldier-window-Shopkeeper-baffled-spooky-snap-silhouette-glass.html

It's so spooky how more people came to her card shop after this photo got out there.....oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Still - ghost stories have been based on less than this in fairness.

I'Came back to the kitchen (about 5 minutes after leaving) to find a wine stopper in the middle of the kitchen floor. Can't even remember the last time I used it - it usually lives in a ramekin at the back of the counter with a few other bits and bobs.

FFS!!! If you were in a film at this point I'd be jumping up and down behind the couch shouting WHY THE FUCK doesn't the silly bloody woman just get out of the house now. Why is she waiting for blood to run down the walls or finding a severed head in the middle of the kitchen floor.

For the love of me would you please click here , get a bed for the night and get the hell out of that place as soon as possible. Get a priest to go back tomorrow for you to get your loaf of bread and wine stopper. Don't go back in yourself. :(:eek::mad::rolleyes::D

FFS!!! If you were in a film at this point I'd be jumping up and down behind the couch shouting WHY THE FUCK doesn't the silly bloody woman just get out of the house now. Why is she waiting for blood to run down the walls or finding a severed head in the middle of the kitchen floor.

For the love of me would you please click here , get a bed for the night and get the hell out of that place as soon as possible. Get a priest to go back tomorrow for you to get your loaf of bread and wine stopper. Don't go back in yourself. :(:eek::mad::rolleyes::D

Do I have to go to a homeless shelter? Could I not just book into a nice local hotel?

I'm also not sure how to start that conversation with a priest - is there a number you can call to just get them to pop over and pick up stuff for you? I've already eaten the bread, and if I can't go back in, I'd prefer if he picked me up a clean knickers and a toothbrush.

I'm slightly unnerved - not living in a horror movie (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I'm slightly unnerved - not living in a horror movie (yet).
    (yet)
    (yet)
    (yet)
    (yet)

yet....

Sorry, off you go to a nice hotel (I was running with the story line on my budget). I'm that there will be a many a priest dying to make his name known in Rome with a good exorcism. You'd probably find one who will only be too glad to bake you some more bread, say a prayer over your wine stopper and rummage through your knicker drawer.

Don't say I didn't warn you and if you come back to haunt me in the future I'd be grateful if you could put all the crap that lying around into the cupboards. There's not much room on the floor for you to be pulling stuff out to put there.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

You don't have adolescents / teenagers living in the house by any chance, Thoie?

I had all this sort of stuff when my daughter was 12 - 15. Found a little pin badge in the middle of the bathroom floor once, still in its plastic wrapper. No-one else had been in except her and I - and neither of us had seen it before. Found conkers sitting on the stairs - way past conker season. Came out to the kitchen one morning to find the food weighing scales sitting on the middle of the floor. It was a cheap plastic one that normally lived on top of the kitchen cupboards: a fall from that height would have a) broken it and b) woken me up as my bedroom is right next to the kitchen and I sleep with the doors open. Never heard a thing and the scale was unscathed.
    There were other things like this - I forget the rest of them now, but always either kindly things, like little presents, or slightly mischievious events.
    It all stopped when my daughter got older.
    I never had an sense of menace or malaevolence. It was quite a cheery sort of thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

You don't have adolescents / teenagers living in the house by any chance, Thoie?

I had all this sort of stuff when my daughter was 12 - 15. Found a little pin badge in the middle of the bathroom floor once, still in its plastic wrapper. No-one else had been in except her and I - and neither of us had seen it before. Found conkers sitting on the stairs - way past conker season. Came out to the kitchen one morning to find the food weighing scales sitting on the middle of the floor. It was a cheap plastic one that normally lived on top of the kitchen cupboards: a fall from that height would have a) broken it and b) woken me up as my bedroom is right next to the kitchen and I sleep with the doors open. Never heard a thing and the scale was unscathed.
    There were other things like this - I forget the rest of them now, but always either kindly things, like little presents, or slightly mischievious events.
    I never had an sense of menace or malaevolence. It was quite a cheery sort of thing to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

That's quite possible! When me and my brothers were younger, we used to move objects in my sister's room - just small things like turning ornaments or teddies around - freaked her out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

when i was 14 my dog died , as a child i spent many times with the dog, i saw him as a friend , the day he died the lights in my bedroom flicked on and off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Any chance she could have been sleep walking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

strange that somethings can be beautiful and creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I recently moved into the house of a deceased woman - her stuff is all still here but in storage. When I was looking for something in the shed a while back I came across a canvas print of her and her husband that their kids had given them a few years back. It was a really cool picture of the couple, taken at some kind of dinner dance in the 50s with a big jazz ensemble in the background. Thinking it'd be a shame to leave it gathering dust out there, I decided to hang it on my bedroom wall where I had some free space. Bear in mind I have lots of sh1t hanging on my walls.

Twice now I've come home to find the picture on the far side of the room, face down on the floor. No windows open; no-one else with access to the place; and no possible way it could have just fallen given the distance. Every other picture hanging fine. Though I know there's probably a reasonable explanation, it's since gone back into storage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Maybe that's why it was in the shed in the first place...

miamee wrote: »
    Maybe that's why it was in the shed in the first place...

Ha. It's strange because it was only thing I brought into the house with any connection to her. I'm wondering why it conveniently happened both times when I was out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Ha. It's strange because it was only thing I brought into the house with any connection to her. I'm wondering why it conveniently happened both times when I was out though.

Because her ghost want a bit of privacy to move it:p
    Apt username for you too:D

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Apt username for you too:D

I could handle the ghost, just didnt want a smack off a flying canvas ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hagar the Nice.

I remember many moons ago of our old Canon Taylor in Carfin who popped his clogs and was found dead by the housekeeper.
    She entered his room to put new flowers in because the old ones had withered away but couldn't believe it when the so called withered flowers were all fresh.

Advertisement