Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

An uncle of my wife always said that after he died, if there were a way at all that he would come back.
    He was very religious but continually insisted he would come back if there were any way possible, to let us know there was an afterlife.

When he passed away we didn't think of it much.

However within two weeks he "came back up". He had to be lifted from his grave as due to a mix up his wife had been sold a burial plot that had been sold to another family 30 years earlier.

I don't read too much into it but many in the wider family were quite freaked by the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Devi wrote: »
    Well I’ve never seen one that has convinced me that there are ghosts flying about and even if there are not explainable doesn’t mean they're ghosts. If you have one in mind though id love to see it.

If I remember later I will stuck in work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ozzers1989

Have been glued to this post all day and decided to add my experience:

I had a less than normal job when I was in college, that's for sure. I worked in a care home for adults with intellectual disabilities. The words care home conjure images of sensory gardens, plush cushions and framed pictures of scenic mountains but this, unfortunately, was not the case.While I was there, the residents were given the best of care and have all since moved out of the wing of the building I worked in, to lovely houses.

The building was first opened as Maryborough Lunatic Asylum in in 1832. In these times, little was known about mental health and how to treat it. Patients at this time were ill-treated by (mostly) well meaning carers. It was once said to me that you can feel the sadness seeping from the walls in the building and this was definitely true. It just looked ominous. It's funny though what you get used to and I got incredibly used to the daily routine and the building that the residents called home.

There were many stories about hauntings in the building. Footsteps were said to be heard at nighttime in the empty upper floors, furniture was said to move around at night and there was at one point in the recent past, a priest drafted in to bless the building . It seemed like the perfect place for ghosts galore but I never had an experience (apart from sudden feelings of dread or fear in certain parts of the building) until my fourth (?) year working there.

It was a bank holiday weekend and it was bitterly cold. I was having a cigarette on my break and was leaning against a wall outside with the three story, red-brick building looming over me. It was for all the world like an outdoor corridor and as I smoked I looked up. My eyes locked with a woman who was standing in the middle, third floor window. It must have been for a maximum of two seconds but I can remember feeling my stomach flip. She drifted (I kid you not, drifted) away from the window and I carried on smoking trying to digest what I had seen. There was a girl with me who suddenly frantically began looking for her keys to get back into the building in a panic. She had seen her too.

My first and initial reaction was not to scream to the masses "I'VE SEEN A GHOST" but rather I decided to get security and check the building to make sure no-one was inside.

There was no-one inside; the building was code locked, empty and very much alarmed on account of the bank holiday. It was only on hearing this information that my brain fully registered that the woman I had seen was wearing a white shift dress and her eyes were more like black shadows than formed features.

About a year later I was telling a nurse about what I had seen and he informed me that he regularly whilst working nights, would see a woman with black hair and a white dress out of the corner of his eye walking through the ward. He had managed to convince himself that it was merely a combination of tiredness and bad lighting. Difficult to know.

Currently and subsequently travelling around supposedly "haunted" locations in Britain and Ireland and writing about it....

http://emmaoz.blogspot.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Don't know if its creepy or unnerving in the supernatural sense but I've been awake for the last two hours listening to what sounded like a woman screaming in terror at someone so figured either one of my neighbours was having a session or a serious domestic was going on somewhere. Its a bit mad because after a good half hour of it I called the po pos, I was riding it out until it got to the stage where smoke alarms started going off along with the screaming and I genuinely thought someone was being murdered. Put down the phone and immediately there's silence. I don't know what to think but I'm writing it here so that I won't think it was a dream in the morning. I'll report back if anyone was actually murdered. (edit: or burned the kitchen down at 4am)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

pharmaton wrote: »
    Don't know if its creepy or unnerving in the supernatural sense but I've been awake for the last two hours listening to what sounded like a woman screaming in terror at someone so figured either one of my neighbours was having a session or a serious domestic was going on somewhere. Its a bit mad because after a good half hour of it I called the po pos, I was riding it out until it got to the stage where smoke alarms started going off along with the screaming and I genuinely thought someone was being murdered. Put down the phone and immediately there's silence. I don't know what to think but I'm writing it here so that I won't think it was a dream in the morning. I'll report back if anyone was actually murdered. (edit: or burned the kitchen down at 4am)

Was going to say could it be the call of the fox until I read about the smoke alarm. We were terrified one night thinking someone was definitely being murdered and later found out it was a fox call. It's a pretty weird sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Moll'll fix it

ozzers1989 wrote: »

I had a less than normal job when I was in college, that's for sure. I worked in a care home for adults with intellectual disabilities. The words care home conjure images of sensory gardens, plush cushions and framed pictures of scenic mountains but this, unfortunately, was not the case.While I was there, the residents were given the best of care and have all since moved out of the wing of the building I worked in, to lovely houses.

The building was first opened as Maryborough Lunatic Asylum in in 1832. In these times, little was known about mental health and how to treat it. Patients at this time were ill-treated by (mostly) well meaning carers. It was once said to me that you can feel the sadness seeping from the walls in the building and this was definitely true. It just looked ominous. It's funny though what you get used to and I got incredibly used to the daily routine and the building that the residents called home.

There were many stories about hauntings in the building. Footsteps were said to be heard at nighttime in the empty upper floors, furniture was said to move around at night and there was at one point in the recent past, a priest drafted in to bless the building . It seemed like the perfect place for ghosts galore but I never had an experience (apart from sudden feelings of dread or fear in certain parts of the building) until my fourth (?) year working there.

It was a bank holiday weekend and it was bitterly cold. I was having a cigarette on my break and was leaning against a wall outside with the three story, red-brick building looming over me. It was for all the world like an outdoor corridor and as I smoked I looked up. My eyes locked with a woman who was standing in the middle, third floor window. It must have been for a maximum of two seconds but I can remember feeling my stomach flip. She drifted (I kid you not, drifted) away from the window and I carried on smoking trying to digest what I had seen. There was a girl with me who suddenly frantically began looking for her keys to get back into the building in a panic. She had seen her too.

My first and initial reaction was not to scream to the masses "I'VE SEEN A GHOST" but rather I decided to get security and check the building to make sure no-one was inside.

There was no-one inside; the building was code locked, empty and very much alarmed on account of the bank holiday. It was only on hearing this information that my brain fully registered that the woman I had seen was wearing a white shift dress and her eyes were more like black shadows than formed features.

About a year later I was telling a nurse about what I had seen and he informed me that he regularly whilst working nights, would see a woman with black hair and a white dress out of the corner of his eye walking through the ward. He had managed to convince himself that it was merely a combination of tiredness and bad lighting. Difficult to know.

Currently and subsequently travelling around supposedly "haunted" locations in Britain and Ireland and writing about it....

http://emmaoz.blogspot.ie/[/QUOTE]

Hi, just been reading this post was am wondering if the Maryborough you refer to is Portlaoise - I'm curious because I had a relative incarcerated there during the 30's and 40's.

Blingy wrote: »
    Was going to say could it be the call of the fox until I read about the smoke alarm. We were terrified one night thinking someone was definitely being murdered and later found out it was a fox call. It's a pretty weird sound.

I've actually heard it before, it's like a cross between a baby screaming and a woman wailing, was about 12 so it made it into the not to be forgotten ever sounds but yeah, I only called when I heard the alarm because I figured whatever it was had just got serious. Not a peep after, it's still deathly silent around so maybe it was all taken care of.

edit: just got in made coffee and sat down in my room and window open can hear my neighbour wailing to someone from within her kitchen. She's a noisy assclown with an abnormal speaking voice so I'm guessing it was just her. (we're not next door neighbours we're back garden to back garden neighbours so you can just imagine how loud she has to be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

pharmaton wrote: »
    I've actually heard it before, it's like a cross between a baby screaming and a woman wailing, was about 12 so it made it into the not to be forgotten ever sounds but yeah, I only called when I heard the alarm because I figured whatever it was had just got serious. Not a peep after, it's still deathly silent around so maybe it was all taken care of.

edit: just got in made coffee and sat down in my room and window open can hear my neighbour wailing to someone from her kitchen. She's a noisy assclown with an abnormal speaking voice so I'm guessing it was just her.

Taken care of with the hubby now under the patio out the back garden??

Taken care of with the hubby now under the patio out the back garden??
    almost wish it was the case :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ozzers1989

ozzers1989 wrote: »

http://emmaoz.blogspot.ie/[/QUOTE]

Hi, just been reading this post was am wondering if the Maryborough you refer to is Portlaoise - I'm curious because I had a relative incarcerated there during the 30's and 40's.

Yes it is Portlaoise. Such a sad, sad place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭missierex

Not paranormal, but i'm still freaked out to this day!
    When I moved to Dublin first, I was renting a room in a house. A few weeks after moving in, the place became infested with mice so unsurprisingly I decided it was time to move out.

I was new in the city, and constant viewings had me stressed as I hadn't a clue where I was going half the time! I was surviving on a quick sandwich and little sleep (due to fear the little buggers would crawl into bed with me). So one night, I was online, taking down numbers from daft to ring the next day. I was exhausted so put everything away, folded my clothes and got into bed.

I woke the next morning, absolutely shattered. Bleary-eyed, I got dressed, and as I was walking past the full-length mirror, I noticed marks on my jeans. I took them off to have a proper look, and discovered countless letters and numbers written all over the arse of them, and black circles drawn on the pockets (like in the movie 'The Ring'). I had obviously been so stressed and anxious during the night that I had been doing all of this in my sleep. FREAKY! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Stress really can do weird things to you alright! I keep having dreams recently where I'm murdered or I kill myself and they are really strange! I can feel the life going from my body (in the dream) and just watch as I bleed out of my abdomen and then when my eyes close I wake up! All because I have an exam coming up and I'm a bit worried about it.

Surprisingly, I feel much less stressed after having this dream though! It vents the frustration I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Stress really can do weird things to you alright! I keep having dreams recently where I'm murdered or I kill myself and they are really strange! I can feel the life going from my body (in the dream) and just watch as I bleed out of my abdomen and then when my eyes close I wake up! All because I have an exam coming up and I'm a bit worried about it.

Surprisingly, I feel much less stressed after having this dream though! It vents the frustration I think.

Probably the relief of realising, "heh, I'm not dead after all."

I've had dreams (like many, I guess) where I'm convinced a sibling has died and wake up crying. The realisation that everything's OK is great!

Best of luck with the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

SarahBeep! wrote: »

Jesus the ending is like out of a novel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

bluewolf wrote: »

I'd be pretty sure the whole thing is fictional. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

Ehh.. as far as creepypastas go, that experiment about cutting off all five of a guys senses because it was theorized that this is how God could be contacted blows the Russian Sleep Experiment out of the water for me. That whole thing just gets a bit Hollywood for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

face1990 wrote: »
    I'd be pretty sure the whole thing is fictional. :P

Still awful creepy sounding though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think I just wet myself a little :o That's horrific!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Still awful creepy sounding though!

I liked the ending, but all the pseudo scientific guff before that ruined it for me.

It does give me ideas though! We are wandering around the place with what are essentially primal minds adapted for modern living. And poorly adapted at that.

Hmmm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One night I was sitting in our living room and my parents went out visiting relatives at about 9pm and the last thing I remember was being on the internet. The next thing I remember is waking up at about 6am in my bed. I had some how put our pets to bed in the outside shed and fed them. Turned off all the lights/appliances in our house and locked the doors/windows. I put on my bed clothes and folded the clothes I was wearing that day. I checked my internet history and the last page I visited was just after 9pm. I had no idea how I did this because I wasn't overly tired/hadn't drank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Took one look at the first photo and I was like "NOPE". That'll replace the Slenderman in my sleep-paralysis night terrors... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A really **** novel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hagar the Nice.

Sarah,you might at least have sent us all a warning beep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

jazz101 wrote: »
    Ehh.. as far as creepypastas go, that experiment about cutting off all five of a guys senses because it was theorized that this is how God could be contacted blows the Russian Sleep Experiment out of the water for me. That whole thing just gets a bit Hollywood for me.
    1983 Sensory Deprivation God Experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

Oh, they're both complete bull**** no doubt, but between the two I thought the God Experiment was the superior ream of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Mentioned it on boards before but can't find it.

I got woken up in the middle of the night to the phone ringing. I wandered to the house phone in the hallway to answer it. I picked up the phone and there was this weird talking coming through on the phone. Sort of garbled or like someone talking muffled in liquid.

While I was trying to make sense of the strange voice talking on the phone, I realised that the phone was still ringing. I got a fright at that point and the phone instantly stopped ringing and all I could hear was a dial tone.

Also a weird dream I had one time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51837417

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Jesus that should come with a warning for the photo alone!

I don't think I buy the story but that photo is disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

The picture is freaky enough!!! Bookmarked for later, goodbye sleep I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Jesus that should come with a warning for the photo alone!

I don't think I buy the story but that photo is disturbing.

What is the picture?? Let me know what I'm in for first :o

Advertisement