Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxhunter Pub Closed by Revenue ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Fagashlil wrote: »
    They're having trouble evicting the squatters, apparently this is what's causing major delays. No word in when things will be moving again.

People Squatters or four legged long tail squatters?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

alias no.9 wrote: »
    People Squatters or four legged long tail squatters?

People ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dublinvillian

Avoca , seem to be looking for investors , this may be why its on hold

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/avoca-the-stellar-irish-success-story-has-a-suitor-31153725.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Avoca , seem to be looking for investors , this may be why its on hold

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/avoca-the-stellar-irish-success-story-has-a-suitor-31153725.html

Avoca is immensely profitable, but as a family business they saw how family business can cause problems as the "family" grows into 3rd generation, (aka Blarney woolen mills) hence rather than have family squabbles, they have decided that they would be wiling to sell if the right price and right operator comes along.

This would not hold up any projects and loking at their accounts for the last few years, they certainly don't "need" investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Heard a rumour that Avoca sold the foxhunter, which would make sense since the lack of work on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Heard a rumour that Avoca sold the foxhunter, which would make sense since the lack of work on it.

Nooooooooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There's been no sign of anything happening there in ages apart from a skip outside a few months ago. Not bothered particularly about who takes it over, just hope something gets done with it soon as it's falling apart and turning into an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Gutted :( Was so looking forward to a regular supply of rocky roads....:(

jomalone14 wrote: »
    Gutted :( Was so looking forward to a regular supply of rocky roads....:(

The N7 one isn't that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

foreign wrote: »
    The N7 one isn't that far away.

Yeah but the Foxhunter is within walking distance from me. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If Avoca has sold it on, I reckon it will be for housing development.

The access to that site for passing trade is woeful, but it would be OK for residential I suppose.

I'm also disappointed that Avoca is not going in there. But I have to say I couldn't understand their business model with that particular site and the difficulty of access to it. Let's face it, unless you live around there you would just carry on to Lucan or Celbridge in the main traffic lanes.

The bollards also look like a barrier and are a bit unsightly, but that's what they are I suppose! And if you miss the off ramp there is no going back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

The access to that site for passing trade is woeful, but it would be OK for residential I suppose.

id even imagine that access for housing development would be a nightmare too. planning may be an issue. its a poxy site tbh.

emo72 wrote: »
    id even imagine that access for housing development would be a nightmare too. planning may be an issue. its a poxy site tbh.

Access is no worse than Rathcoole and probably better than Kilmacanogue

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Access is dead easy, it's getting out that poses the issue. One-way onto an already busy slip road, chances are you wouldn't get PP for any housing there.

What you could do is remove the N4 access completely and break through onto Hermitage. Hermitage is already a bit of a nightmare, so you'd need to do something like putting a through-road from Hermitage onto Ballyowen Lane, which would take a small chunk of the park.

Lots of people to get on board there from the residents to the council, seems like it would be a hard sell.

I do think access overall is part of the problem using it for retail. It's tricky to reach except by car. Adding pedestrian access through Hermitage and another pedestrian footbridge over the N4 at that point would open up access to a lot more, so someone like Avoca could do well.

Access is no worse than Rathcoole and probably better than Kilmacanogue

In fairness I would think access for Foxhunter is harder as you have to get into lane a half mile out!! Thats the main issue. No issue with Rathcoole and Kilmacanogue is easy enough.

In fairness I would think access for Foxhunter is harder as you have to get into lane a half mile out!! Thats the main issue. No issue with Rathcoole and Kilmacanogue is easy enough.

Doesn't matter where you have to get in lane, you've a split second to do so in each case, miss it and you're not getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Your sat nav will tell you when to get into lane. If somehow you still miss it, it will show you how to quickly go around via Ballyowen Park, Road and Lane. Will take all of 2 minutes. I can't see access being an issue.

@average_runner - is there anywhere we can check who owns the site now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

dunno, the hassle of having to go down as far as the liffey valley junction and back up, from lucan, well its best avoided at some hours. but look if they have something that attracts people then they will go. as a lucan local its a bit of a nuisance. and thats not mentioning getting out of the place, which some of you guys have mentioned is difficult.

only for the fact that they have been there for years before the N4 upgrade, i'd say the NRA would have loved to close those junctions permanently.

unkel wrote: »
    Your sat nav will tell you when to get into lane. If somehow you still miss it, it will show you how to quickly go around via Ballyowen Park, Road and Lane. Will take all of 2 minutes. I can't see access being an issue.

Not everyone has a sat nav believe it or not! A lot of people will visit places they can see and access easily, but may not have planned to do so. And passing trade is important for retail. Very important.

The entrance is half a mile from the exit lane to get to it, so many will sail by and carry on.

The exit can be a bit off putting too. So all in all, not an ideal site for access and exit really.

It is fine for people who live in the vicinity, we know the runarounds, but most people don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

seamus wrote: »
    Access is dead easy, it's getting out that poses the issue. One-way onto an already busy slip road, chances are you wouldn't get PP for any housing there.

What you could do is remove the N4 access completely and break through onto Hermitage. Hermitage is already a bit of a nightmare, so you'd need to do something like putting a through-road from Hermitage onto Ballyowen Lane, which would take a small chunk of the park.

Lots of people to get on board there from the residents to the council, seems like it would be a hard sell.

I do think access overall is part of the problem using it for retail. It's tricky to reach except by car. Adding pedestrian access through Hermitage and another pedestrian footbridge over the N4 at that point would open up access to a lot more, so someone like Avoca could do well.

Heard a while back that Avoca are no longer interested in taking over that site.

• Advertisement

If you read the thread, Mental Mickey, you'll see that there is proof Avoca actually did buy the site (and applied for planning permission)

If you read the thread, Mental Mickey, you'll see that there is proof Avoca actually did buy the site (and applied for planning permission)

I think s/he meant that they are no longer interested in developing it as intended after they purchased it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think s/he meant that they are no longer interested in developing it as intended after they purchased it.

Yep. I heard/read somewhere that the site is not going to be used for an Avoca store. That's I was saying.

Yeah it looks that way. None of us know for sure what's going and we're only speculating but I guess Avoca are waiting to see if they are being bought out / taken over. I can see why they wouldn't want to start investing their own money in something that won't be theirs much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think access will be an issue for any business that attracts significant amounts of car traffic. If you're coming from new Lucan, you'll probably go down Ballyowen Lane which is not suitable for lots of traffic - the roundabout on the bend in particular would have to change. Alternatively you could use the Liffey Valley exit onto the N4, which is one of the most dangerously stupid junctions I know of. Traffic coming out of the busy petrol station before the Foxhunter would be competing with traffic trying to get into the Foxhunter. Similarly, traffic coming off the N4 heading towards new Lucan would be competing with traffic exiting the Foxhunter - in many cases not having a clue which side of the road they should be on. If it's anything like the Avoca on the N7, there would be continuous traffic going in and out during the day.

I'd love to see an Avoca however (or frankly anything other than more residential).

hmmm wrote: »

I'd love to see an Avoca however (or frankly anything other than more residential).

Would it be a good spot for the Primary Care Center?

Doesn't matter where you have to get in lane, you've a split second to do so in each case, miss it and you're not getting in.

Miss it on n4 and you a long wait, plenty of time on the other roads

No idea where we can find that out. But going by yesterday, the place is falling apart, roof has holes, windows broken. If they aren't careful I can see it becoming a death trap!!:mad:

Miss it on n4 and you a long wait, plenty of time on the other roads

It's a single access point off a busy road. None of the exits have substantial slip lanes, miss any of them and its a circuitous return. If anything the ability to come off at J3 proper and loop around by ballyowen lane

http://goo.gl/maps/d7ixQ

is more convenient than you'll get at kilmacanogue in particular, how about these for options

http://goo.gl/maps/MOIzp

but possibly rathcoole too where your first recovery opotion is to come off at the poitin still and back through rathcoole village

http://goo.gl/maps/uZvk9

The distance along the service lane is trivial once you make it into the service lane. Signage will be key, being a national road, they'll be constrained in what they can put up.

It all seems to be up in the air right now anyhow so the whole thing is somewhat moot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I've heard from a few sources that there are squatters in there.

Advertisement