Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Paul Murphy is a bit late with his bandwagon-jumping.

Can't stand him. Looking to get everyone investigated and sacked for every little thing. If anyone else behaved like him at the infamous water charges protest he'd be the first person pointing fingers. How he got reelected I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I don't know where this segment is going. But surely they can get on the housing list if this has been going on for "years".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I don't know where this segment is going. But surely they can get on the housing list if this has been going on for "years".

Wonder same thing myself.

It's always tricky to discuss these things, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone running water or electricity, but I often wonder how so many people relying on these basic facilities can't just get together and get the issues fixed like anyone else would have to - rather than putting up with it. I mean not being able to use a washing machine 'cause the heating is on or vice versa is a pretty basic problem which should be fixable - can the families involved not just throw a few quid in and get the problem fixed? Whether people are working or not, there is an income for every single adult there coming in each week.

Even if you believe the councils should fix everything for you, surely you get to the point of being completely pissed off with the situation and would just get it fixed yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Infoanon

So the Department of Finance hired EY to do research on the spread of Covid ?? What a waste of money

Edit Claire just asked the question....Pascal's answer was interesting to say the least.

EY I assume went to medical professionals to get the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I find it difficult to believe a word from Donohue's mouth

Runs rings around most presenters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

He usually doesn't answer the actual question he was asked and then if interrupted to try and bring it back he will usually reply with "if I may just continue".

Claire trying to get the DUP to admit a mistake ! Ends up with finger pointing at communication failures in the Irish government. ..

Fionnan Sheehan setting Helen Mc Enter up for a fall with him basically saying only a misstep by Helen will result in her resigning over the Seamus Woulfe debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Agnes Boucher-Hayes
    Who??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus the barrel being seriously scrapped, Dill and Corriander? wtf

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

zell12 wrote: »
    Agnes Boucher-Hayes
    Who??

She has to be related to that sanctimonious twat Philip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Infoanon wrote: »
    Fionnan Sheehan setting Helen Mc Enter up for a fall with him basically saying only a misstep by Helen will result in her resigning over the Seamus Woulfe debacle.
    No-one will be resigning over the Seamus Woulfe debacle - least of all Seamus Woulfe.

However, it certainly has shone a spotlight on the process of appointing judges which stinks. If I'm a judge interested in applying for an appointment I have to contact the Attorney General - who may be applying for the same job through a different route.

It's obvious now that the whole thing was rotten - but there's not a damn thing Micheál Martin can do about it, or Leo Varadkar will pull the plug on the government, thus depriving Micheál of his only opportunity to do the one job he really really wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dempo1 wrote: »
    She has to be related to that sanctimonious twat Philip?
    It is a very very common name y'understand

Agnes Boucher-Hayes
    Who??

She was on a few weeks ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

It is a very very common name y'understand
    Infoanon wrote: »
    She was on a few weeks ago...

Maybe Phillip has gone fluid, but 'Phyllis' was taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Still more believable than landing on the moon all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I didn't have the time to listen this morning, but the promo on Rising Time had 'How Santy will take care around COVID' or something similar on. I mean, FFS how many small kids listen to the bloody programme? I certainly hope it wasn't a proper slot on it. She has to be actively involved in the dumbing down of the programme, it's sad to see it go this way.

KevRossi wrote: »
    I didn't have the time to listen this morning, but the promo on Rising Time had 'How Santy will take care around COVID' or something similar on. I mean, FFS how many small kids listen to the bloody programme? I certainly hope it wasn't a proper slot on it. She has to be actively involved in the dumbing down of the programme, it's sad to see it go this way.

Sadly the show enduced me to vomit in dispair and yes, the Santa article was just beyond ludicrous, apparently Claire said it was or the younger listener's, show just getting worse by the hour, bring back Sarah, please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Was that the thing with some "Proffesso" going on about Santa's immune system and ****e about him being older than the virus?

Jesus I don't mind Evelyn Cusack or Siobhan Ryan telling us, on Xmas eve, that Santa would have a trouble free route from the North Pole . But that was some pile of Sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,975 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

sligojoek wrote: »
    Was that the thing with some "Proffesso" going on about Santa's immune system and ****e about him being older than the virus?

Jesus I don't mind Evelyn Cusack or Siobhan Ryan telling us, on Xmas eve, that Santa would have a trouble free route from the North Pole . But that was some pile of Sh1te.

Following up on Simon Coveney's Dáil statement. A bit of craic for younger listeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Following up on Simon Coveney's Dáil statement. A bit of craic for younger listeners.

I get that Francie. Hence the second part of my post. But I can't imagine too many listening to Claire's show.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I get that Francie. Hence the second part of my post. But I can't imagine too many listening to Claire's show.

Nor to the Dáil I would imagine. Not hard to figure out what happens in homes with children though, you get the children to listen to it.

It's a 'magazine' style programme, designed to have something for everyone. It should be criticised with that in mind. Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Do today’s promo has in first place that she’ll be discussing white, black and brown chocolate with Darina Allen and which one is best for cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

I can hear Claire snacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

This is Claire's strength - how many folk shd you have in church / at funerals during covid.

Cutting edge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

john123470 wrote: »
    This is Claire's strength - how many folk shd you have in church / at funerals during covid.

Cutting edge

And is the body in repose at funerals counted in these numbers?

KevRossi wrote: »
    Do today’s promo has in first place that she’ll be discussing white, black and brown chocolate with Darina Allen and which one is best for cooking.

Here she comes now, have the Allens some dirt on someone in montrose or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just in, turned on the radio. Drina fukin Ailen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Darina must have nearly shat herself there when Claire said she was going to start with a controversial subject.

Darina must have nearly shat herself there when Claire said she was going to start with a controversial subject.

Sums up everything that is wrong with the Claire Byrne show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Jesus the barrel being seriously scrapped, Dill and Corriander? wtf

Ah was Newstalks finest woke broadcaster back on air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭RINO87

The headline spot on Irish radio's flagship current affairs show and they are having a natter about wans queuing for PJ's....

I'm done with this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

RINO87 wrote: »
    The headline spot on Irish radio's flagship current affairs show and they are having a natter about wans queuing for PJ's....

I'm done with this show.

I have never listened to this show live, it's always been podcast. I usually listen to a good amount of the podcasts each day, this was the case with SOR and Sarah McInerney. I am finding that none of the topics for Claire Byrne's show are at all appealing. Now I am actively skipping all Covid talk, so that does take up a good chunk of the show which is fair enough, but the topics are not what I would expect on the Today show. Better off on d'Arcy's slot really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Fair play to Alan Kelly...one of the few members of the Dail to rip into the Brian Stanley/Sinn Fein hypocrisy. The rest seem to have all agreed to let this one slide....including Kelly's king of outrage colleague Aodhan Ó Ríordain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Cole wrote: »
    Fair play to Alan Kelly...one of the few members of the Dail to rip into the Brian Stanley/Sinn Fein hypocrisy. The rest seem to have all agreed to let this one slide....including Kelly's king of outrage colleague Aodhan Ó Ríordain.

I'd say he had strong words with Sherlock after his performance.

CB really is a lost cause on this show. The Gathering slot was awful...had an open goal with the unusually subdued Louise O'Reilly on the back foot, but she just danced around in circles with her and Niall Collins from FF. When you're relying on Colette Browne to focus the whole discussion back onto the topic, you know this show is fcuked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

CB really is a lost cause on this show. The Gathering slot was awful...had an open goal with the unusually subdued Louise O'Reilly on the back foot, but she just danced around in circles with her and Niall Collins from FF. When you're relying on Colette Browne to focus the whole discussion back onto the topic, you know this show is fcuked.

CB would be more suited to a “Loose Women” type of show!

Getting heady with Mary Lou. Claire in full clobber mode this morning.

She has Mary Lou well rattled.

• Advertisement

Totally ineffective though. Mary Lou was able to handle it easily. CB is a really poor interviewer when it comes to anything of substance...useless at this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Fair play to Claire. That was an outstanding piece and exposed Mary Lou and Sinn Fein for what they really are. Populist and hate filled. Listening to Mary Lou justifying a heavy calling to the door of a young woman to threaten her not to criticize the party by making out he was just a well known and respected member of the local party looking to resolve things was cringe worthy. It should be played on every campus in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Its amazing how much of a grilling Claire Byrne gave Mary Lou this morning and how frequently rte seem to give Sinn Fein one but when it comes to matters involving Fine Gael, the appetite doesnt seem to be there.

It pays to know who your paymasters are I guess. I can't see Sinn Fein if they were in power propping up the shambles that is RTE.

The obvious bias is pathetic.

Mary Lou was well and truly on the ropes there but I can't help but feel PK or SOR would have landed a knock out punch.

Will matter not one whit at the polling stations when the votes are being cast, all this manufactured hoo-ha about nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭boardise

Its amazing how much of a grilling Claire Byrne gave Mary Lou this morning and how frequently rte seem to give Sinn Fein one but when it comes to matters involving Fine Gael, the appetite doesnt seem to be there.

It pays to know who your paymasters are I guess. I can't see Sinn Fein if they were in power propping up the shambles that is RTE.

The obvious bias is pathetic.

I must get my ears tested because what I have heard for years has been exactly the opposite.
    Government spokesmen and panellists are usually outnumbered by at least 3 to 1 ( the RTE presenter and ,say, 2 opposition people), they can hardly complete a sentence without interruption and badgering and in addition the tone of questioning is frequently cynical and hostile.
    SF speakers on the other hand ( and other opposition too) are usually allowed to make party political broadcasts with far less hassling as they indulge in their idealistic flights of fantasy. Any questions asked tend to be pro forma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Will matter not one whit at the polling stations when the votes are being cast, all this manufactured hoo-ha about nothing

Sadly it won't. People won't realise that they have been conned by Sinn Fein until Sinn Fein are in power and all their populist promises are proven to be empty. They will really realise how much they have been conned when they then try to vote them out and discover Marxist parties only support democracy on the way up but never on the way down. The people who vote Sinn Fein don't generally listen to Claire or other News Shows. The fact that Claire yet again handed Mary Lou her ass and exposed her party as a fraud this morning won't even register with the 30% who vote for them.

touts wrote: »
    Sadly it won't. People won't realise that they have been conned by Sinn Fein until Sinn Fein are in power and all their populist promises are proven to be empty. They will really realise how much they have been conned when they then try to vote them out and discover Marxist parties only support democracy on the way up but never on the way down. The people who vote Sinn Fein don't generally listen to Claire or other News Shows. The fact that Claire yet again handed Mary Lou her ass and exposed her party as a fraud this morning won't even register with the 30% who vote for them.

All the electorate have to do in that case is not elect them the next time...same as they do when they have realised FF or FG have 'conned' them or their 'promises prove to be empty' (and by god we have had plenty of instances of that) them in elections since the foundation of the state. That's how democracies work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I think its quite arrogant and ignorant to assume a large percentage of the electorate are not intelligent enough to understand politics at this supposedly high level you claim to.

This sort of arrogance is exactly why Sinn Fein received such a large % of votes last time and will do so again if there is another election.

On top of this, I would hardly credit Claire Byrne or her show for engaging with a high level of political discussion on a regular basis. Since she took over the slot, the majority of her show seems to be fluff. A let down from Sean O'Rourke & Sarah Mcinerney if there ever was one.

Fair play to Claire. That was an outstanding piece and exposed Mary Lou and Sinn Fein for what they really are. Populist and hate filled. Listening to Mary Lou justifying a heavy calling to the door of a young woman to threaten her not to criticize the party by making out he was just a well known and respected member of the local party looking to resolve things was cringe worthy. It should be played on every campus in the land.
    The fact that Claire yet again handed Mary Lou her ass and exposed her party as a fraud this morning won't even register with the 30% who vote for them.

If that interview this morning is being held up as an example of outstanding political interviewing, then RTE's current affairs output is screwed...and politicians (regardless of party) are in for an easy ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

If that interview this morning is being held up as an example of outstanding political interviewing, then RTE's current affairs output is screwed...and politicians (regardless of party) are in for an easy ride.

It was like being savaged by a well coiffured sheep!

• Advertisement
Advertisement