Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Property Thread

Options

Comments

Think it depends on the part of bishopstown to be honest. Brother has a young family and lives near Waterfall Rd and very happy with it. Nice area with plenty green space, close to the curraheen and cycleway near south ring and walking distance to schools nearby. Also good sports facilities - Bishopstown GAA for example have done a massive job on their complex. So for young families, it seems like a good setup. There is certainly a traffic issue in parts of Bishopstown though. Not that you could rely on it to happen any time soon but bus priority (and possibly light rail?) are planned in future for parts of it so might help some bit.

I must be a neighbour of or live near your brother. Bought and completely renovated a 1970s house in the area two years ago, and it's a great place to bring up a young family. It has everything except a town centre and good pubs and restaurants but with a young family that's not high on the priority list.

Since we bought two years ago, a further six houses within a few hundred yards have been bought by young families with a view to major renovations. Bishopstown is changing rapidly, as students move into more dedicated apartment developments and the older and original generation die off.

With regard to the house on Hawke's Road, I also had a good laugh when I saw it at 600k. It was renovated and extended recently, but it was done on the cheap and it looked like it was mostly about adding bedrooms for the rental market.

The site isn't actually that big and is at a very busy junction. As has been pointed out, planning permission has also been granted for a 64-unit social housing development directly to the rear of the site. They will be doing well to get 450k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its even funnier its called wilton

But I know the area, its in at the back of that estate and fairly quiet. However i would be conscious of the old line behind which could become of the west cork greenway if it ever happens.
    Sure we all know what happened when the Togher sign went up at the end of the hill , half the houses on spur hill use "Doughcloyne" in their address :D

Mardyke wrote: »
    WTF?

No offense, but Bishopstown is a miserable place at this stage. It badly needs a centre, some thought put into creating a village feel.

That house is on a busy rat run and will be surrounded by student apartments soon.

I wouldn't pay 150k for it?

Is the land worth 600k?

You're not giving a very balanced view of Bishopstown. Grew up there and moved back a few years ago to raise a family. What it lacks in pubs, restaurants and a village centre, it more than makes up for in public amenities, and all the things you need to raise a young family. Pre lockdown, the playground and facilities in Murphy's Farm were packed with people from all over the city and other suburbs. We are also much better serviced by the link road than other suburbs, and have none of the problems that the likes of Douglas has with traffic. It's not perfect, but it's a nice area, which unfortunately is reflected in the property prices at the moment.

For what it's worth, I scoured the marked for a 4 bed detached house for a few years and we kept coming back to Bishopstown. The houses are generous and have lots of space as they were developed in the 70s and 80s when the place was green fields. There are huge green spaces in many of the estates and it just doesn't feel anywhere near as claustrophobic as many other suburbs. Haldene, the Rise, Melbourne, Bishopscourt etc are all lovely parts of Bishopstown that are undergoing big changes at the moment as the first generation moves on.

Sure we all know what happened when the Togher sign went up at the end of the hill , half the houses on spur hill use "Doughcloyne" in their address :D

I know its always been a ridiculous developer driven thing. New estate going into Spur hill addressed as Wilton. All the old house, Lehenagh, Sarsfields, Chetwynd etc were addressed as Togher, but anyway if people think it puts them in a different virtual area then work away

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Actually being near the greenway would make it more attractive to me. Safe path to town? Sign me up.

Greenway is a pipe dream at the moment. It will be a rear of the house so unless you burst out a back gate then you would need to walk to lehenaghmore side or spur hill (if there is going to be an entrance.

Also, that section of the greenway unless lit and CCTV monitored has the potential for ant social behaviour unless the whole thing is properly fenced.

however, the house itself is fantastic and when you see what you need to put into a standard home and the current market, i wouldnt class it as overpriced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Greenway is a pipe dream at the moment. It will be a rear of the house so unless you burst out a back gate then you would need to walk to lehenaghmore side or spur hill (if there is going to be an entrance.

Also, that section of the greenway unless lit and CCTV monitored has the potential for ant social behaviour unless the whole thing is properly fenced.

however, the house itself is fantastic and when you see what you need to put into a standard home and the current market, i wouldnt class it as overpriced

Yes, a pipe dream but it would have huge potential.

Greenway out the back of Murphy's farm would be something similar. I doubt any of the residents there would prefer to not have access. There's antisocial behavior on the blackrock line too, not a reason to deny access, it's a major amenity.

Less permeability leads to a life stuck in a car, therefore traffic. My car doesn't move at weekends due to being able to easily access everything I need on foot or bike.

marno21 wrote: »
    Massive house at 176m2, detached, nice location, plenty of room out the front, very close to Wilton & the N40. Big rooms & 4 bathrooms. Lovely house in fairness.

Lots going for it and is nice, but C1 BER means that it's going to be expensive to heat, small kitchen/dining, which is what most people are after nowadays, outside is dated and that look is very hard to alter. Interiors are nice and most rooms are big but will require updating at some point. Looks about 20 years old so you're about 20 years away from a replumb, rewire etc.

For 535k, you'd get a similar house with more potential in the heart of Bishopstown https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-24-kenley-crescent-westgate-road-model-farm-road-co-cork/1439383. You'd be better off buying a new build or something that has been renovated more recently for that money, or else buying a complete doer upper for far less and spending the money on bringing the insulation, heating etc up to spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It's totally overpriced at 535k. Lots going for it and is nice, but C1 BER means that it's going to be expensive to heat, small kitchen/dining, which is what most people are after nowadays, outside is dated and that look is very hard to alter. Interiors are nice and most rooms are big but will require updating at some point. Looks about 20 years old so you're about 20 years away from a replumb, rewire etc.

For 535k, you'd get a similar house with more potential in the heart of Bishopstown https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-24-kenley-crescent-westgate-road-model-farm-road-co-cork/1439383. Not in a million years are you going to realise anything close to that for a house that is effectively in Togher. You'd be better off buying a new build or something that has been renovated more recently for that money, or else buying a complete doer upper for far less and spending the money on bringing the insulation, heating etc up to spec.

That house does not represent a good investment even at far less than asking.

Sure look if that's the case then the market will speak and it will sit there for a long time .

As someone originally from Togher , who would have no issue buying there again in most parts. I agree the house is overpriced . With regards to the BER take it with a pinch of salt you will see houses achieve a B rating that can't retain heat , and come across houses with a D or E that will retain heat cause the walls are several feet thick so outside temps mean very little.

I am trained in both the domestic BER software, Commercial BER software and building energy efficiency is a significant part of my job.

Sure look if that's the case then the market will speak and it will sit there for a long time .

As someone originally from Togher , who would have no issue buying there again in most parts. I agree the house is overpriced . With regards to the BER take it with a pinch of salt you will see houses achieve a B rating that can't retain heat , and come across houses with a D or E that will retain heat cause the walls are several feet thick so outside temps mean very little.

I am trained in both the domestic BER software, Commercial BER software and building energy efficiency is a significant part of my job.

Just been told that it's gone sale agreed for over 500k this week so what the hell do I know!

Togher is a fine spot. I've just never seen property that expensive there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Greenlamp21

This thread seems to be about ripping the piss out of lovely houses and areas. It's a bit daft and doesn't lend well to a good cork property thread.

Everywhere in the Southside is well serviced by the link (I'm not sure how someone can claim bishopstown is better serviced by it)

There are good schools/amenities and access to anywhere from mahon to ballincollig in under 15 minutes on the link from all connecting areas.

We live in a fairly trouble free small city which is great, favourite locations within the city are subjective.

I personally don't think there is an area outside of blackrock that screams location location so if two similarly priced house's like the fernwood house and kenley house (which is practically in a huge council estate) were available, then I'd go with the nicer house which is the fernwood house

• Advertisement

This thread seems to be about ripping the piss out of lovely houses and areas. It's a bit daft and doesn't lend well to a good cork property thread.

Everywhere in the Southside is well serviced by the link (I'm not sure how someone can claim bishopstown is better serviced by it)

There are good schools/amenities and access to anywhere from mahon to ballincollig in under 15 minutes on the link from all connecting areas.

We live in a fairly trouble free small city which is great, favourite locations within the city are subjective.

I personally don't think there is an area outside of blackrock that screams location location so if two similarly priced house's like the fernwood house and kenley house (which is practically in a huge council estate) were available, then I'd go with the nicer house which is the fernwood house

Some fair points, but I don't think most people are ripping the piss out of houses or areas, but are critical of asking prices and the state of the current market. There's a huge difference.

For the money being asked for the two houses people have been critical of the asking prices of, I think it's OK to say that you'd expect much better value for money. Fernwood is obviously a lovely house and any criticism has to be seen in the context of the big asking price. If I were looking for a 4-bed and it was 60k cheaper then I'd be very interested!

As for areas, as long as people are civil - I think someone described where I live as miserable! - then it's ok to point out that there is a greater demand to live in certain areas over others and that has a resultant impact on price.

It's more expensive to buy property in Bishopstown than Togher and it's more expensive to buy in Blackrock than Bishopstown - it's just the market.

Anyway, apologies if I offended anyone - that was not the intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭corks finest

Lots going for it and is nice, but C1 BER means that it's going to be expensive to heat, small kitchen/dining, which is what most people are after nowadays, outside is dated and that look is very hard to alter. Interiors are nice and most rooms are big but will require updating at some point. Looks about 20 years old so you're about 20 years away from a replumb, rewire etc.

For 535k, you'd get a similar house with more potential in the heart of Bishopstown https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-24-kenley-crescent-westgate-road-model-farm-road-co-cork/1439383. You'd be better off buying a new build or something that has been renovated more recently for that money, or else buying a complete doer upper for far less and spending the money on bringing the insulation, heating etc up to spec.

Major heroin problem near Kenley, including a house petrol bombed a few years back, 2friends living in the corporation houses nearby and there's a lot of issues going on, or were going on up to 2years ago anyways

PS ref heroin problem my own brother died in Mc Donald's jacks in town a few years back, he used hang about there with other users and source some of his gear there, maybe it's changed, Kenley itself is gorgeous

Major heroin problem near Kenley, including a house petrol bombed a few years back, 2friends living in the corporation houses nearby and there's a lot of issues going on, or were going on up to 2years ago anyways

PS ref heroin problem my own brother died in Mc Donald's jacks in town a few years back, he used hang about there with other users and source some of his gear there, maybe it's changed, Kenley itself is gorgeous

Very sorry to hear that about your brother. My condolences.

I grew up in Kenley and my folks still live there. I can assure you, there are zero concerns or issues with heroin or anything untoward there. Very mature, quiet and lovely estate. Zero issues.

You're talking about Leesdale. I would know the group of lads involved as they're all my age, and would have gone to school and played sport with a lot of them. Tragic how some of them turned out, and I still see a few of them wandering around town, but not relevant at all to the discussion we are having.

The house quoted is close to Leesdale as the crow flies but as far away as you could imagine in reality. Access to Kenley Crescent is via Firgrove in Btown near the GAA club; access to Leesdale is via CIT or the Technology Park on the Model Farm Road. No connecting roads or access.

Anyway, I only used that house as an example as I know it and it was nearly the exact same price when I searched Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

All the newer greenway builds get lighting and there's big efforts to make them secure. People on bikes and walking don't want to be robbed either, so it's seen as crucial to the viability of any new scheme. Most people living up against the greenways are given an option of a back gate onto the greenway too.

The things you're concerned about are the same things people refer to when they're worried about new greenways everywhere, and it's only human nature to worry about the unknown but in reality there's few issues with new greenways. If anything they increase the value of your property from what I've seen.

Very sorry to hear that about your brother. My condolences.

I grew up in Kenley and my folks still live there. I can assure you, there are zero concerns or issues with heroin or anything untoward there. Very mature, quiet and lovely estate. Zero issues.

You're talking about Leesdale. I would know the group of lads involved as they're all my age, and would have gone to school and played sport with a lot of them. Tragic how some of them turned out, and I still see a few of them wandering around town, but not relevant at all to the discussion we are having.

The house quoted is close to Leesdale as the crow flies but as far away as you could imagine in reality. Access to Kenley Crescent is via Firgrove in Btown near the GAA club; access to Leesdale is via CIT or the Technology Park on the Model Farm Road. No connecting roads or access.

Anyway, I only used that house as an example as I know it and it was nearly the exact same price when I searched Daft.

Leesdale is exact what I was on about being adjacent to Kenley, thank you, that bro I mentioned went to school with some of those, v sad to see a lost generation

Leesdale is exact what I was on about being adjacent to Kenley, thank you, that bro I mentioned went to school with some of those, v sad to see a lost generation

My heart goes out to you, there but for the grace of God go us.

A few really bad eggs brought plenty of ordinary fellas down with them.

A few of them gone too soon and plenty of them availing of the homeless services in the city now. Puts arguing over 500k houses into perspective.

My heart goes out to you, there but for the grace of God go us.

A few really bad eggs brought plenty of ordinary fellas down with them.

A few of them gone too soon and plenty of them availing of the homeless services in the city now. Puts arguing over 500k houses into perspective.

Yep but we're all human, all slip up ref selfishness now n then, Cork compared to a lot of places is still small enough to appreciate what we have what we are, mostly a generous gang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Rang an estate agent about a house today and he said it was over ask already. Not sure if it's true or not. The property was on the market less than a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I think they are obliged to be honest about that ?

And it would not surprise me if the property was over asking price within a week. Many decent properties are initially listed below what they thing they would get, so as to build interest in it.

Skud wrote: »
    Rang an estate agent about a house today and he said it was over ask already. Not sure if it's true or not. The property was on the market less than a week...

We were looking for about 2 years, what you've said has been our experience. We were very keen to look at a property and often, we were the first to view. Property prices regularly went above asking very quickly.

We were often outbid and I was wondering about phantom bids. No estate agent came back to us to say a bid had fallen through indicating that all bids were the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

We were looking for about 2 years, what you've said has been our experience. We were very keen to look at a property and often, we were the first to view. Property prices regularly went above asking very quickly.

We were often outbid and I was wondering about phantom bids. No estate agent came back to us to say a bid had fallen through indicating that all bids were the real deal.

+1 to this , exact same experience when looking 2017 - 2019 ! I had to withdraw from bidding many time and not once did EA come back to me !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

thanks, we were a little suspicious when we heard it. Just gonna stick to the budget we set for ourselves and try and be sensible about the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

As a matter of interest did you look up PPR for any of these places since? interesting to see what % above asking they went for

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest did you look up PPR for any of these places since? interesting to see what % above asking they went for

There were a 2 houses that we were just outbid on by €2500 and the houses sold to the bidders who outbid us. The price on both of those had went well past the asking price, over €50000 on one house but the asking on that house was undervalued, I guess the price was low to spark interest.

There were others that we decided not to pursue due to losing interest, i'm not sure what they ended up at.

We went sale agreed on a house below asking value, I don't think this happens too often in Cork. The valuer said that we did very well get the house for what we did but maybe brexit/covid etc spooked other bidders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Anyone familiar with Iona park in Mayfield? Not familiar with the area but Mayfield has a bit of a reputation of being rough. Lovely house up for sale there at the moment. https://www.daft.ie/13340626

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Wow - 250k for end of terrace house on quaker road !
    https://www.sherryfitz.ie/CRK200450_S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

whatever76 wrote: »
    Wow - 250k for end of terrace house on quaker road !
    https://www.sherryfitz.ie/CRK200450_S

A joke. House prices are mental at the moment and almost all going well over asking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Lia_lia wrote: »
    A joke. House prices are mental at the moment and almost all going well over asking.
    A sum total of 0 houses being completed in 2021 to date definitely not helping there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭RINO87

Theres a 2 bed cottage in Coachford with a BER G rating for 245!! Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with Iona park in Mayfield? Not familiar with the area but Mayfield has a bit of a reputation of being rough. Lovely house up for sale there at the moment. https://www.daft.ie/13340626

The vast majority of Mayfield is absolutely fine, no more or less rough than anywhere else these days - obviously there are some parts of it where I wouldn't be buying but in general, it is fine. I'm living not far from where that house is - grand area, no issues that I'm aware of. Think the price is a bit cheeky though. I know it's been renovated, but 270 would be more than enough, in my opinion. When you start at somewhere like 285, with the way things are, price will probably go over asking, so could end up going to nearly 300k.

Advertisement