Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold Spell Phase 1 Discussion from 6th/7th January

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin Airport at 1:30am ~ -1c
    Dublin Airport at 2:30am ~ +3c

Fair temperature rise, and without major changes in cloud or wind evident on the METAR.

I see a shower passing to the south of the airport though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sharp frost and white car roofs in Bray all night.

2:40am and very heavy 10 minute hail shower in Bray.

437934.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Unfortunately there will be no phase 2 but frost, ice a few wintry showers for the next couple of days and as Meteorite points out some very cold minima away from windward coasts.

Below average temperatures next week.

Another attempt to bring in colder temperatures from the east later next week is a possibility. That high pressure over Scandinavia is not going anywhere fast. If we get undercutting from the Atlantic it's game on to drag in deeper cold.

UKMOPEU00_144_1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The Atlantic is lying down for a nap after all that hard work, but there's no real Siberian connection to these northern highs yet, so we will just have to take what we can get, mixed wintry showers in streamers, maybe snow in one or two locations (out of a hundred). Drive up high and you may see some. Could get a bit of thunder later today in these streamers.

The interesting thing is, none of the Atlantic fronts that try to push in (according to the guidance at any rate) bring much mild air with them, they sort of run out of that before passing 20W and arrive almost border-line cold enough for sleet. Should be a frustrating week ahead for both forecasters and snow lovers but if you like sleet, graupel and other mixed crud, then this is your golden age.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

....if you like sleet, graupel and other mixed crud, then this is your golden age.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Heavy Squally hail showers for the past several hours in a nasty NE wind here near Arklow

The snow line on these showers coming into Wicklow is above 600 mtrs
    I can see a slight dusting on top of Croghan mtn for example
    They were heavy so if snow was falling further down it would definitely have settled
    So No snow from these where anyone actually lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Dublin Airport at 1:30am ~ -1c
    Dublin Airport at 2:30am ~ +3c

Fair temperature rise, and without major changes in cloud or wind evident on the METAR.

I see a shower passing to the south of the airport though.

There was a slight increase in wind that may have been just enough to mix out the cold surface layer. It had been very calm around midnight. There was also a lowering of the cirrus at 1 am (from 25;000 to 20,000 ft) which may have led to some temperaure rise later on.

To fill in the gaps the exact winds and temperatures from the hourly synops were

01:00 040 6 kts 0.0 °C dp -0.3
    02:00 050 7 kts 0.8 °C dp 0.3
    03:00 060 7 kts 3.2 °C dp 2.3
    04:00 060 13 kt 4.2 °C dp 2 3

I note that none of the hourly synops all night showed any negative temperature (0.0 at 1 am was the lowest), but still the minimum was reported as -1.0 °C by 6 am, so this must have briefly occurred between 01:00 and 01:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Cars were frosted over last night at about 9pm here in Swords. So I awoke expecting to find a lovely crisp frosty morning...... what did I find ? Nothing, no frost, not even a hint of it. All gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Cars were frosted over last night at about 9pm here in Swords. So I awoke expecting to find a lovely crisp frosty morning...... what did I find ? Nothing, no frost, not even a hint of it. All gone

Same here I awoke To the same all gone we can’t even get a good frost anymore :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

A friend in Michigan sent me this last night. Now, that's cold!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭prunudo

The snow line on these showers coming into Wicklow is above 600 mtrs
    I can see a slight dusting on top of Croghan mtn for example
    They were heavy so if snow was falling further down it would definitely have settled
    So No snow from these where anyone actually lives

Nothing on Djouce, and its 730m ish.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Well this weekends cold snap has started off on a rather pathetic note. 6.7 c here atm lol,I presume the temps will fall back later ( in a few hrs).

jvan wrote: »
    Nothing on Djouce, and its 730m ish.
    :(

I can see Djouce from here believe it or not down in Arklow looking North way to the east of our view of lug
    It’s possible it may have escaped the most of the precip
    Certainly if it had have got what came in down here it would be white on top

By the way,even though I’m píssed off with poor modeling lately,I still believe somethings got to give
    Hopefully from the northeast

I'm just waiting for the early 2020s to produce the goods , anything we get before then or maybe 2019 is a bonus imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Was surprised to wake up here in D15 to find it 5c and cloudy. Expected 0c and some sun. Got up early anyway to get the "sunrise" out at Pormarnock. All I got was frozen fingers, almost too cold to press the buttons on the camera.

Strong constant wind was coming off the sea with a significant wind chill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Shedbebreezy

Billcarson wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for the early 2020s to produce the goods , anything we get before then or maybe 2019 is a bonus imo.

What's that based on?

What's that based on?

Nothing except the infrequency of these events I assume.

There was a polish scientist working in one of the UK universities talking on sk news lately about a potential new Maunder Minimum in about 20 years time
    So look after yourself and eat healthily :p

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150709092955.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Samsgirl wrote: »

Wait, the realfeel is warmer that the actual temperature? or maybe the realfeel temp is in F ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No, solar activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Wow we have a cold easterly and its a lame duck. :(

What's that based on?

Deep solar minimum,as happened 2008-2009 ,that cold period of 2008-2010. 2009 had 260 sun spotless days for example which just happened to be followed by the coldest winter in yrs = 2009/ 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Samsgirl wrote: »

I heard it was to hit -40 in Boston.
    I'm glad I'm looking out at blue skies in Dublin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

Short snizzle shower in D12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I heard it was to hit -40 in Boston.
    I'm glad I'm looking out at blue skies in Dublin:)

The lowest it got in Boston this week was around -18C, shudder to think what -40C would feel like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Getting frequent showers of hail off the Irish sea atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The USA is expected to become springlike in a few days. This 850hpa temp anomaly chart shows unusually mild weather around the Great Lakes and even extraordinarily warm in the Dakotas! Will the Atlantic now calm down and give us a cold spell which in theory is meant to happen? I wouldn't bet on it.

gfsna-15-96.png?6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Frequent light rain/graupel showers here, pity it isn't colder.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Tis bright, very very bright.

Not that cold either, although in an exposed shaded area the wind carries a bite.

• Advertisement

Just up the road from the entrance to the Croghan wind farm is a new house being built in the woods and it’s for sale
    There’s some view out the back from it

It’s 320 metres above sea level and would get snow a lot (none today up there just hail)
    It’s a 10 min drive from the M11
    Pictured is the view just now looking out over the Irish Sea from it and Arklow rock is in the top left of the photo
    It’ll be heavenly when it’s done

5fa601bafc74e10170977586b21abeda.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I wonder how low the temperatures will get tonight,met eireann going for a minimum of -5 and MT going for -7.

Bone chilling here in a raw northeast breeze in West mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Can't even get a decent hail shower off this Irish Sea flow, all the showers hitting Bray-Greystones.

patneve2 wrote: »
    Can't even get a decent hail shower off this Irish Sea flow, all the showers hitting Bray-Greystones.

You're not missing much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

And come summer, those same areas will have blue skies wrist the rest of the country is covered in stubborn cloud.... lol

Bray/Greystones was the first and only places in the country to get Heavy Snow on the 26/27th of November 2010. We got 5 inches in 2 hours that night. All from literally one streamer stretching across the Irish Sea from the Lake District to Bray Greystones. Its literally only one of two wind directions that give Bray a long enough sea fetch for streamers positioned where we are in the middle of the east coast. Generally we'll be in the snow shadow of Antrim, IOM or Wales. For many, the remember the 2010 event starting on the 29/30th of Nov or even into December but for Bray it started with 5 inches on the 26/27th. Then we got no more till we got lucky again with the wind/streamer direction in the middle of December.

highdef wrote: »
    And come summer, those same areas will have blue skies wrist the rest of the country is covered in stubborn cloud.... lol

437957.jpg

437958.jpg

:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Calibos wrote: »
    Bray/Greystones was the first and only places in the country to get Heavy Snow on the 26/27th of November 2010.

:confused:

*checks records*

Had snow on the ground here in Dublin 16 the morning of the 27th November 2010 (so overnight 26th/27th).

Bray/Greystones was the first and only places in the country to get Heavy Snow on the 26/27th of November 2010. We got 5 inches in 2 hours that night. All from literally one streamer stretching across the Irish Sea from the Lake District to Bray Greystones. Its literally only one of two wind directions that give Bray a long enough sea fetch for streamers positioned where we are in the middle of the east coast. Generally we'll be in the snow shadow of Antrim, IOM or Wales. For many, the remember the 2010 event starting on the 29/30th of Nov or even into December but for Bray it started with 5 inches on the 26/27th. Then we got no more till we got lucky again with the wind/streamer direction in the middle of December.

Perhaps in the firing line but certainly not the only places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just up the road from the entrance to the Croghan wind farm is a new house being built in the woods and it’s for sale
    There’s some view out the back from it

It’s 320 metres above sea level and would get snow a lot (none today up there just hail)
    It’s a 10 min drive from the M11
    Pictured is the view just now looking out over the Irish Sea from it and Arklow rock is in the top left of the photo
    It’ll be heavenly when it’s done

5fa601bafc74e10170977586b21abeda.jpg

It would be fantastic to live there.
    I wonder how much would you have to pay for that view?
    On the subject of height, is there anyone living 600 metres above sea level in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Started around the 25th or 26th in the north west iirc, I remember having lying snow in Letterkenny a few days before the east coast streamers started up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLO
    W

Low Temperature Warning for Munster, Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal
    Turning very cold tonight with lowest temperatures falling to between -2 and -5 degrees and staying very cold Sunday morning.

Issued:Saturday 06 January 2018 13:00
    Valid:Saturday 06 January 2018 18:00 to Sunday 07 January 2018 12:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Imagine the folks over in the Boston reading our yellow warning for temperatures as low as -2 to -5. Someone need to tell MET that it's January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Small amounts of snow on Lugnaquilla above 800m. Only a dusting of 1-2cm and a lot of exposed frozen ground where anything falling is getting blasted away by wind.

YR.no normally gets Lug spot on but was miles off.
    Mountain-forecast.com normally says there's loads of snow when there is none, but this times said none and got it basically right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

HighLine wrote: »
    Imagine the folks over in the Boston reading our yellow warning for temperatures as low as -2 to -5. Someone need to tell MET that it's January.

Imagine the folks in Casablanca reading our low temperature warning.

It's all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Low Temperature Warning for Munster, Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal

It's weird that they can't just say "Ulster counties" there, but I suppose people in the North would get confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Bray/Greystones was the first and only places in the country to get Heavy Snow on the 26/27th of November 2010. .

Nope. Heavy snow showers set in over the north and west before they got going in the east. Heavy settling snow set in here locally on the afternoon of the 24th. I remember because of the total 'white out' conditions while driving home on that Friday evening.

Edit, my mistake, that Friday was the 26th, not the 24th as stated above:

analyse_2010112618.gif

Satellite sequence for the afternoon of Nov 26th 2010.

26th_November_2010_first_heavy_snow_of_the_autumn_evening_whi.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Bring out the dead:

ppp.png

We are the dead.

New Moon

Big freeze hah :)

They're be some very confused people along the south east coast with temperatures permanently above freezing and no frost :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

False, I had heavy snow starting around 10pm on 26th November and then I woke up to a winter wonderland on the 27th. Man those were great times!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement