Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'' Barstool Republicans''

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

FTA69 wrote: »
    I couldn’t be arsed rehashing the morality of the IRA campaign at the moment to be honest, and you’ve completely missed the point. If people are politically opposed to them etc then that’s fine and I respect that opinion.

The point being that some people professed to vocally support the Republican movement as part of their image or whatever but would in reality do absolutely nothing, even something trivial, to support it in practical terms i.e they were bullsh*tters.

Nope, didn’t miss the point .

Your pals scream West Brits based on utter nonsense , whereas those who are branded bar stool republicans (not all Republicans here on this site are barstoolers, but most are) are exactly that . Peel their lauers and they barely even know their facts too . They don’t even know what the terms mean

I fully agree And got with your point about those republicans who do nothing , hence , they are barstoolers . Not to be taken seriously . It’s those who scream West Brit at anyone but they haven’t a scooby doo what the term means

As for the comment about people not buying or helping out with prisoner funds, I simply offered a reason as to why people don’t do it . Not everyone claims to be a Republican SF/IRA style . Oh sure sure couldn’t try to justify the morality of most IRA campaigns , you wouldn’t have a leg to stand on . Not a case of being arsed, but a case of you couldn’t , least not successfully . But, you didn’t go there to be fair

As for the self proclaimed Ra bhoys who wouldn’t even offer their services to collect funds or buy a paper , well, maybe they are mean as ****e when it comes to spending ? Lol . Maybe that plague extends outside Cavan and cough, Galway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Nope, didn’t miss the point .

Your pals scream West Brits based on utter nonsense , whereas those who are branded bar stool republicans (not all Republicans here on this site are barstoolers, but most are) are exactly that . Peel their lauers and they barely even know their facts too . They don’t even know what the terms mean

I fully agree And got with your point about those republicans who do nothing , hence , they are barstoolers . Not to be taken seriously . It’s those who scream West Brit at anyone but they haven’t a scooby doo what the term means

Mate there’s ignorant people of all political persuasions on this site who haven’t a clue what they’re on about. That’s par for the course I’m afraid, welcome to boards.

And I can assure you, it’s definitely a case of not being arsed as I’ve had that debate a million times on this site and don’t see a huge amount of value in rehashing it again to someone up in arms about the prospect of some post-colonial nostalgic being called an immature name to be brutally honest about it.

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Charlie Flanagan is 100% a Tan loving West Brit.

Probably , ya . But sure , he’s from the Free State party so....

That or a misguided (that’s an understatement) notion of trying to reach out to the Unionists and Kevin Myers of this world ? Anyway, the general public were having none of that

FTA69 wrote: »
    It’s not a term I usually use myself but there is a section of the population here that engage in vociferous condemnation of the very idea of Irish Republicanism but will then stridently defend organisations such as the Royal Ulster/Irish Constabularies or the ‘security forces’ in general. The type of people who scoffed at the idea that the British state engaged in collusion with Loyalists, dismissing it as a slur and a conspiracy. The same lot will demand we have every commemoration under the sun for people who gallantly joined the British Army while pushing a revisionist angle portraying Republicans as blood thirsty sectarian yokels.

In a similar vein many people go out of their way to have an active and hostile dislike of things like the Irish language or Gaelic games (a scenario known as cultural cringe). Some go so far to say we should be rejoining the Commonwealth and all that b*llocks.

These people always existed in Ireland; lickspittles and establishment or wannabe establishment types only now they’re repackaging their boring unimaginative nonsense as ‘maturity’ and all that craic.

As I said I don’t usually use the term myself, but it describes a very real phenomenon.

That term gets bandied about a lot on this site by the resident barstool Republicans (who as you right note, wouldn’t lift a finger to help) . So let’s stick to what goes on here on this site and all of those terms are prevalent here . The likes of Dudley Edwards and Kevin Myers are low hanging fruit

I’d struggle to name anyone who uses this site and who hasn’t already proclaimed their Unionist allegiance /or its blatant (just laugh at them) who deny British collusion , are sniffy about the Irish language and culture (wearing Celtic FC tops don’t count) , defend RIC /RUC etc etc

Want to name these people on boards.ie?

Again, plenty of threads on topics like joining the commonwealth etc have been done to death here, Poppy fascism too and the majority said nope. But during the discussions , those nay sayers still got labelled west Brits on issues that they discussed that went against the views of the resident barstoolers on this site

Why are so many barstool RA heads stumpy fat men with shaved heads?

This is a picture taken after the funeral of Bobby Storey. They all look the sort of lads you’d see on the door of a rural nightclub. It’s the same when you the SF ard fheis on the TV. Lots of tough looking fat lads in their 50’s gurning away.

45-A8-EECE-EE2-F-4-E50-BBB1-4-C9-DAE03-A985.jpg

Compensating for staying under the bed when the Trouble was on ? There was a lot of that going on in many Counties during the Irish Civil War too

As for the comment about people not buying or helping out with prisoner funds, I simply offered a reason as to why people don’t do it

I think he is referring to folks,who purport to support republicanism...but shy away when push come to serve....not the general population

Its usually the quiestest most unassuming people,who end up with the fiercest republican streak,very few active rural republicans wake up on sundays with hangovers......

ould lads living on isolated farms,their involvement virtually unknown even in their own areas are what backboned the provos down south and played a huge almost unacknowledged part in the troubles......its a reason why likes of martin ferris are held in huge esteem,he's one of their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

F**k the nordies. Bastards.

Definitely the cagiest and untrusting people you'll ever meet.

Catholic or Protestant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ould lads living on isolated farms,their involvement virtually unknown even in their own areas are what backboned the provos down south and played a huge almost unacknowledged part in the troubles......its a reason why likes of martin ferris are held in huge esteem,he's one of their own

If you know about them, you can be sure the Gardai know about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

bobbyy gee wrote: »

9 counties in Ulster.

He asked the 6 counties of northern Ireland.

There is a difference.

• Advertisement

Normal One wrote: »
    Proper Republicans wouldn't recognise "Northern Ireland" :rolleyes:

That would make them bigger idiots.

I just want peace and equal rights for all.

good luck with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

I stood next to the Dessie Ellis gang of supporters in the RDS count centre during the last election.

Dodgy as fucck is the only way to describe them. I felt uneasy. They stomped around the place in groups jeering other candidates and generally acting the maggot.

Who were you expecting to be hanging out with the likes of Dessie Ellis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Truthvader wrote: »
    Who were you expecting to be hanging out with the likes of Dessie Ellis

Good republicans.

Good republicans.

You've read Gerry Adam's novel so, " A Good Confession "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

That is nothing OP.
    I was at college a few years back for the societys open day.
    At the close the Sinn Fein party were closing up and folded the Tricolour in quarters. I was effing morto for them.
    Imagine claiming to be a Republican and not knowing how to fold the flag?

• Advertisement

I think he is referring to folks,who purport to support republicanism...but shy away when push come to serve....not the general population

Its usually the quiestest most unassuming people,who end up with the fiercest republican streak,very few active rural republicans wake up on sundays with hangovers......

Fair point about a Kerry Man like Ferris , but he was hardly unknown back in the day. Didn’t he get caught being involved in the Gardai raid on the import of guns into Kerry via The US in the 1980s (history repeating itself like Austin Stack )

Special Branch and the Army G2 had pretty damn good intelligence on most suspects and supporters back then . Leitrim is an woeful place for quite Ra types and loud mouths - compensating for their point active record during 1916-1921 ? Lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

That is nothing OP.
    I was at college a few years back for the societys open day.
    At the close the Sinn Fein party were closing up and folded the Tricolour in quarters. I was effing morto for them.
    Imagine claiming to be a Republican and not knowing how to fold the flag?
    Folding
    Fold the orange section over on top of the white section.
    Turn the flag over and fold the green section over similarly on top of the opposite side of the white section.
    Fold the flag in half doubling the orange section in on top of itself, leaving the green on both sides of the remaining square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Folding
    Fold the orange section over on top of the white section.
    Turn the flag over and fold the green section over similarly on top of the opposite side of the white section.
    Fold the flag in half doubling the orange section in on top of itself, leaving the green on both sides of the remaining square.

No that is too complex for the baby shinners, might as well roll it in a ball and throw it in the corner. That is the future leadership of Sinn Fein

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I've an accent that's more English than Irish due to more years spent there, a mate introduced me to someone he knew, and without humour asked me 'If I was on a tour of duty in Ireland', didn't bother me as I'm not English, just thought 'what a prick'.

Advertisement