Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I suppose the real test will be testing cross platform releases on both the One X and Series S and check performance outside of resolution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Why do you think it's called the Series S? It's the next evolution of the S range!

And the Series X is the next evolution in the X range.

The XSS isn't designed to beat the XOX, it's designed to be a better S product.

It's budget vs premium but they aren't gonna call it that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Why do you think it's called the Series S? It's the next evolution of the S range!

And the Series X is the next evolution in the X range.

The XSS isn't designed to beat the XOX, it's designed to be a better S product.

It's budget vs premium but they aren't gonna call it that :D

I think some of the press have been seeing it as a 1440p version of the Xbox Series X the last few days so Microsoft have tried to get on top of those stories now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

My mother who would have zero interest or knowledge of these things was trying to tell me Microsoft are bringing out a console for kids.

Worked out after ahwile she was taking about the Series S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gotta hand it to Microsoft with the marketing. People think the S is just a cheaper X, all the next gen goodness for 200 cheaper and at the same time will complain about how the ps5 diskless console is a lot dearer even though they are 2 different beasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

If the marketing people have managed to make my mother aware of it they deserve the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

https://twitter.com/playstation/status/1304768250400530432?s=21

So we’ll find out Sony’s plans on Wednesday. I would guess that the digital only will be the same price or slightly cheaper than the series X and the one with the optical drive will be more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Gotta hand it to Microsoft with the marketing. People think the S is just a cheaper X, all the next gen goodness for 200 cheaper and at the same time will complain about how the ps5 diskless console is a lot dearer even though they are 2 different beasts.

Well in fairness the series S is still a next gen console that will play the latest games, it remains to be seen just how much better the games on series x will look on a standard smart tv. If PS5 diskless is €400 that €100 difference will be big in the eyes of more casual gamers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

People who don't know the differences won't care either way, they'll be happier with the savings. I think only the most hardcore gamer will actually notice the differences in the games themselves if any

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

McFly85 wrote: »
    I wonder if it’s subsidising the Series X price? 300 for a console they can make a profit on while selling the premium one at a loss.

Seems like they're taking a bigger loss on the S than the X, actually.

Mass Effect Trilogy Expanded Edition Artbook available to preorder and releasing in march 2021.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Mass-Effect-Trilogy-Expanded-ebook/dp/B08D8JM88J

Mass Effect: The Complete Comics available to preorder and releasing on 5th November this year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mass-Effect-Complete-Mac-Walters/dp/1506719198/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Mass+Effect%3A+The+Complete+Comics&qid=1599984861&sr=8-1

I can smell the Trilogy Remaster!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mass Effect Trilogy Expanded Edition Artbook available to preorder and releasing in march 2021.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Mass-Effect-Trilogy-Expanded-ebook/dp/B08D8JM88J

Mass Effect: The Complete Comics available to preorder and releasing on 5th November this year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mass-Effect-Complete-Mac-Walters/dp/1506719198/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Mass+Effect%3A+The+Complete+Comics&qid=1599984861&sr=8-1

I can smell the Trilogy Remaster!!

Huh. Almost certainly unrelated, but the Mass Effect games were updated on Xbox just there too.

This is a clear instant buy for me.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Huh. Almost certainly unrelated, but the Mass Effect games were updated on Xbox just there too.

This is a clear instant buy for me.

Interesting, any patch notes at all? Why would the originals get updates.

Interesting, any patch notes at all? Why would the originals get updates.

Pretty sure it's just an update to the BC wrapper, so it's nothing to do with EA. Well, probably anyway. Just saw it crop up on my recently installed list, and for the first time in a long time, I started up a play through of ME1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    The release dates for Spelunky 2 have been announced;

PS4 - Sep 15th
    PC - Sep 29th.

Currently at 91 on Metacritic. Roll on the 29th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Currently at 91 on Metacritic. Roll on the 29th!

Never played the first but this looks hella fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Played the first game but found it too punishing for me, too much the wrong side of "tough shít you start again" without any feeling of actually advancing.

Also never liked the art style, which is an even more subjective issue of course. Just something about it looked like cheap stock cartoons :shrug:

Vicxas wrote: »
    Never played the first but this looks hella fun

Loved the first, and this is apparently a worthy successor.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Played the first game but found it too punishing for me, too much the wrong side of "tough shít you start again" without any feeling of actually advancing.

Also never liked the art style, which is an even more subjective issue of course. Just something about it looked like cheap stock cartoons :shrug:

526319.jpg

Ah, I get you though re: the difficulty - I would occasionally leave it for days at a time after becoming frustrated with it. But I always went back to it - just so much to discover.

In actual news, the Asus ROG brand are teasing a collaboration with...... Ikea. :confused: So tacky, overpriced gaming shite that you have to put together yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »

It's one of those games you just tip away at between games. Absolutely nothing unfair about it as well. Once you start learning the game you start seeing the rules it plays by. The fact that games only last about 5-10 minutes means I never found it aggravating and once you realise there's way more to the game and it starts opening up then you are hooked. You end up enjoying the silly deaths, it's always your fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Xbox cloud Gaming launches tomorrow, it is free with Game Pass Ultimate (so not technically "free" but a nice add on).

Day 1 it has 167 games and pretty much kills Stadia off.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/14/cloud-gaming-with-xbox-game-pass-ultimate/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sony has cut their launch production estimates to 11 million units, down 4 million due to a chip issue.

Bloomberg is also rumouring the PS5 price to be $399 discless and $449 disc version.

https://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/articles/2020-09-15/QGFJPPDWLU6M01

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sony has cut their launch production estimates to 11 million units, down 4 million due to a chip issue.

Bloomberg is also rumouring the PS5 price to be $399 discless and $449 disc version.

https://www.bloomberg.co.jp/news/articles/2020-09-15/QGFJPPDWLU6M01

I just can't see them going that cheap with the disc version, at least all of this speculation will be over by tomorrow night.

We hope.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    We hope.

If they string this out any longer I'm just gonna get a series X. They have pushed it way to far as is.

They'll tease the price and date by releasing a few random numbers which are taken from the date and price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's almost as if they have some really bad news and don't know how to tell us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its hard to know what to make of that really,
    on the tinfoil hat front, you could assume that there's no shortage, and they're using the threat of scarce supply to drive preorders, and on the other hand, you could think that they cant get within the 500 euro mark to match the series X, and are revising sales figures? *edited as i misread OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's almost as if they have some really bad news and don't know how to tell us.

If the prices are as reported by Bloomberg, that's really good news. Cheaper than the Series X, and the diskless is 100 more than the Series S but without lower specs. If the prices are the same as the Series X (minus 50quid for diskless), it's neither good nor bad news so no reason for delay either.

I think it was just a case of who'll blink first, and will the other then take the hit and purposefully undercut the other. But it just all went on far too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Its hard to know what to make of that really,
    on the tinfoil hat front, you could assume that there's no shortage, and they're using the threat of scarce supply to drive preorders, and on the other hand, you could think that they cant get within the 500 euro mark to match the series X, and are revising sales figures? either way, 11 million, down to 4 is a crazy shortfall, practically 2 thirds lower than expected.

It's down by 4 million, not down to 4 million. 15 million to 11 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Penn wrote: »
    If the prices are as reported by Bloomberg, that's really good news. Cheaper than the Series X, and the diskless is 100 more than the Series S but without lower specs. If the prices are the same as the Series X (minus 50quid for diskless), it's neither good nor bad news so no reason for delay either.

I think it was just a case of who'll blink first, and will the other then take the hit and purposefully undercut the other. But it just all went on far too long.

People seem to be reading into it way too much in my opinion. The iPhone 12 is only expected to be announced by Apple tonight, and it will likely be released well before the PS5. No release date or price for that yet, but nobody is obsessing over it in the same way. Nvidia's new GPUs are out on Thursday, and they were only announced a couple of weeks ago. Again nobody was reading hidden meanings from that. There's no reason to announce these things many months in advance.

quokula wrote: »
    People seem to be reading into it way too much in my opinion. The iPhone 12 is only expected to be announced by Apple tonight, and it will likely be released well before the PS5. No release date or price for that yet, but nobody is obsessing over it in the same way. Nvidia's new GPUs are out on Thursday, and they were only announced a couple of weeks ago. Again nobody was reading hidden meanings from that. There's no reason to announce these things many months in advance.

Yea I think it is because game consoles have had a traditional announcement=>launch cycle and now they are finally breaking it. We are used to finding out the details 6 months in advance so a bit of moaning is to be expected this go around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

quokula wrote: »

I agree with Markitron, numerous phones are released every year and are fairly interchangeable. Next-gen console releases are few and far between and have a much more specific market. I agree we don't need info too far in advance, but we're within two months of release and the info may change which console many may opt for.

There's a reason why MS's price reveal had "ERP" (estimated retail price) in the picture!
    If Sony's machine comes in at 449, MS will shift their price too!

Just my opinion of course :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

marcbrophy wrote: »
    There's a reason why MS's price reveal had "ERP" (estimated retail price) in the picture!
    If Sony's machine comes in at 449, MS will shift their price too!

Just my opinion of course :)

I think you are reading into that too much.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think you are reading into that too much.

Anything's possible dude!
    Probable, maybe not :D

So Immortals Fenyx Rising had to change its name from Gods and Monsters because of a trademark claim by Monster Energy drinks. :rolleyes:

So Immortals Fenyx Rising had to change its name from Gods and Monsters because of a trademark claim by Monster Energy drinks. :rolleyes:

Seems legit

8c87dca2-defc-4d6d-a9d1-668996979903_EA2xa8hUYAAeL2G.jpeg

If that's the case Monster drinks is lucky Disney didn't go after them due to Monsters Inc.
    I understand logos or coined words, but how do you trademark a word that has been around a long time? Is it just no on thought to trademark it?
    Think I'll trademark the letter 'i' and all its variations, though Apple probably already did that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If that's the case Monster drinks is lucky Disney didn't go after them due to Monsters Inc.
    I understand logos or coined words, but how do you trademark a word that has been around a long time? Is it just no on thought to trademark it?
    Think I'll trademark the letter 'i' and all its variations, though Apple probably already did that

You don't, which is why they've lost a load of their lawsuits for "Monster" the letter "M" and the word "Beast.

They just sue and the other side usually can't afford to fight back so they do as they're told.

It's not new to games. There's a bellend going around suing every single videogame released with edge in the title because of some game he made in his bedroom on the ZX spectrum. I wish Ubisoft had the balls to take monster to the cleaners but the lawsuit would have held up release no doubt.

It's not new to games. There's a bellend going around suing every single videogame released with edge in the title because of some game he made in his bedroom on the ZX spectrum. I wish Ubisoft had the balls to take monster to the cleaners but the lawsuit would have held up release no doubt.

Some French guy wasn't it? Didn't someone like EA finally put him in his place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Aw man, that was a wild ride back in 2010...
    Rev. Tim Langdell is a healthcare chaplain and Zen Buddhist priest based in Southern California. A Zen master teacher, he also serves as the abbot for the Pasadena Zen Center. In addition, Rev. Tim Langdell holds a Master of Divinity from the Claremont School of Theology, which he obtained in 2015.
    This, however, wasn't the epilogue I was expecting.

Announced yesterday, Shiren 5 is being released from it's Vita jail and coming in English to the Switch and PC in December

I've heard it's pretty much the best Rogue/Mystery Dungeon game you can play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sony has reached out to GamesIndustry.biz with the following statement denying the Bloomberg report:

“While we do not release details related to manufacturing, the information provided by Bloomberg is false," the statement reads.

"We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-15-sony-reportedly-cuts-ps5-production-by-4m-units

I'm glad they said something. Bloomberg were the only ones reporting on these fluctuating production targets... Was starting to look like clickbait.

So the prices they gave were likely wrong as well.
    Or maybe this is Sony saying "Oh we always meant to make 11 million"

This has potential (Starward Industries comprises former CDPR and Techland employees).

https://twitter.com/StarwardInd/status/1305885176543801345?s=20

I'm glad they said something. Bloomberg were the only ones reporting on these fluctuating production targets... Was starting to look like clickbait.

Honestly think sony is talking ****e and pushed production back as demand will have gone down due to covid-19

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement