Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any country you would not go to even if you were paid to go there?

Options

Comments

i once spent a week travelling around its midlands to various towns.....grim is not the word....a country really in decay,who'se best days are behind it

Good riddance. If they weren't such boring Koontz I'd almost feel sorry for them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

What, like the whole of the UK?

England, Scotland, Northern Ireland & Wales! Honestly, you would avoid The UK, or maybe just parts of it? I mean parts of the UK are gorgeous, from Cornwall (currently in the news) to the Lake district, the Cotswolds, Gower peninsula in Wales, Glens of Antrim, the Jurassic South coast, and you say that you'd avoid the UK, really?

Britain's countryside is beautiful, never been to Cornwall though that's top of the list for next time. It is stunning looking.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

I would have zero interest in any country in South America, at all, at all, at all.

Anywhere else, grand.

Spiders?

Palestine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia

Wouldn't set foot in the place. Employer tried to send me once. I refused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

China

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Usa for me. Food is usually awful, processed deep fried crap. If I could never ever go back there, I'd die a happy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Palestine

I might consider going to see it, if it wasn’t for a bunch of lunatics from all around the world who moved there claiming it rightfully belonged to them.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

I don't understand why people are hating on Iran can someone please explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Everybody that goes to India seems to get the trots.

I didn't. Loved the place. Sensual assault but absolutely fascinating. And the food......

• Advertisement

guy2231 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are hating on Iran can someone please explain?

The United States always needs a boogey man, Iran is just the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Das Reich wrote: »
    South Africa or any country that people are racists against whites, and I not really "white", more mediterranean.

Interesting username so :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Anywhere that has an apartheid regime ,for example israel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

QUOTE=Montage of Feck;117401262]Iran, as the successor of the Persian empire, has got three thousand years of history and culture going on, so don't rule it out completely.[/QUOTE]

It is a place I would love to go to and see all that great history but probably never will because of the way Iran is.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

The United States always needs a boogey man, Iran is just the latest.

True, looks like a lot of Irish have also fell victim to the boogeyman propaganda about Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

haven't read the thread yet but two places I'd love to go to(for the food) but will never go - India and Pakistan.

I was only in Kerala, food (vegetarian) was great....it's a ****ing kip..Delighted I went..Never again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

silverharp wrote: »
    China

China is actually quite amazing, polite people, beautiful culture and one of the safest places on earth to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Australia.

Really. Why it's a beautiful country and continent. Yes they are a bit behind or a bit slow in some ways but the people are lovely. I only spent 3 weeks there but in that time I went from Darwin to Perth to Sydney to the Gold Coast and then back to Darwin oh and also got to go into the outback. The people were very friendly wherever we went yes I was not by myself and we had a great time. Could I live there no way. Just far too humid and hot for me but it's still beautiful.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Russia.

My brother in law spent time over there working on a building project. Some of the stories he told still scare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Sure there's no accounting for these things. There was someone on the thread earlier said Mexico, one of my favourite places w/ great people, food, craic and one of the most diverse and interesting countries on the face of the planet. :eek:

But if I *had* to answer the q... Australia always seemed like a cultural wasteland to me... plus it's boringly predictable destination for Irish people (am sure it's grand really :) )

I really enjoyed my brief backpacking spell in Mexico, never scared..people were great, food was ok, great people.
    Never went to Australia, never want to go to Australia.
    Flew over it to NZ...That was enough.
    Solely based on the Australians I have met on my travels !!

• Advertisement

The continent of Africa. Most of the Middle East. Most of South Asia. The unstable South American countries.

Also Australia and New Zealand. Too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

silverharp wrote: »
    China

Shocked it took so long for this one. Kip and really not got any redeeming features. I went once and literally would never want to go near the place again. Was supposed to stay a month, lasted three weeks and was so happy to get out

4Ad wrote: »
    Solely based on the Australians I have met on my travels !!

I have never, ever, met a bearable Aussie.

Insufferable to a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What's wrong with skippy land? It's great fun over there. Good weather, locals are grand. It's a grand spot.

Lemme do a list:

- Spiders bigger than dinner plates
    - Funnel web spiders
    - Small spiders that can kill you with 1 bite
    - Weather is so hot it can kill you
    - The water wants to kill you (rip tides, box jellyfish, blue ringed octopus, bull sharks, stonefish and lionfish)
    - It suffers from both droughts and floods....
    - Has "Fire seasons"!!!
    - You can get lost and die
    - It has a hape of Irish rejects
    - Snakes that come up your jacks and can eat fecking crocodiles!
    - Abundant venomous snakes
    - It's hotter than anyone expects
    - If the kangaroos don't get ya, the cassowary will
    - Saltwater crocs
    - Drop bears (koalas)
    - Dingos
    - Probably waaaaaaay too many people in popular areas, why would anyone visit Bondi beach?!
    - FIRE TORNADOS!
    - It's so far away

I'll also never visit any UAE country until they catch up with the rest of the world. Actually, the more I think about it, I could more easily probably give a list of places I would like to visit:

- Japan (I feel like I should have been born there)
    - Canada

Hmmm... thought there'd be more. I'd go back to Belgium and Holland in a heatbeat, loved those 2 places, very relaxed and friendly (if you avoid the touristy crap). I did enjoy Orlando for the 10 days I was there, but the current social climate over there is putting me off returning. There would be other parts of 'Merica I would like to visit, but again not until all this crap dies down or gets sorted. Wouldn't mind heading to Portland to catch a Blazers game and their really cheap top shelf cannabis.

I'd visit a few other European places I suppose, but having being in Poland already I'd probably avoid the old "bloc" countries. Would probably visit Norway, Sween and Denmark too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

What's wrong with skippy land? It's great fun over there. Good weather, locals are grand. It's a grand spot.

Hot england

duffman13 wrote: »
    Shocked it took so long for this one. Kip and really not got any redeeming features. I went once and literally would never want to go near the place again. Was supposed to stay a month, lasted three weeks and was so happy to get out

Really? I haven't been but I would like to go. Was there anything in particular you didn't like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Ditto, I can't think of anywhere else I'd least want to go.

I thought I was the only one. I got offered a job there back in 2008 when things got very bleak here. Flights, accommodation the whole lot organised and when push came to shove I backed out and called the whole thing off. All I was getting was advice on where to go and what to do and who to meet up with when I got over there. By the time it came to start packing and get myself ready to go I realised I had absolutely no interest in going there, even for a month or so to test it out. I rang the guy who organised the job and apartment and explained I genuinely just didn’t want to go. He abused me, I hung up the phone and not one day goes by that I regret not going. Just had no interest in ever setting foot in the country. 13 years later and my opinion hasn’t changed.

Irishjg wrote: »
    I might consider going to see it, if it wasn’t for a bunch of lunatics from all around the world who moved there claiming it rightfully belonged to them.

Who? The Arabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Pakistan.

India probably as well, unfortunately.

America not looking too great atm either, sadly but hopefully that will change soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

2 countries that I have been to that I would hate to go back to are Oman and China.

Advertisement