Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any country you would not go to even if you were paid to go there?

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I think there isn't a country I would avoid going to if I was paid enough. The money could buy security or local help in the most unstable. I reckon there's about 150 or 160 I'd at least visit without being paid to go and the rest and the semi recognised states and territories might be a bit riskier so I might need persuading to go to some of them.

I would answer very differently if I had to live long term in some of the places though. I wouldn't feel comfortable living in a place with very strong sexist or homophobic views/laws and I wouldn't feel great living in societies with massive wealth disparities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I spent about an hour in Israel a few years back to get from Jordan to Egypt and I wouldnt be in a hurry to go back. Had to endure about a 30 minute interrogation at the border post by a member of the Israell Defence Forces, they wanted every address I ever lived it, my email address, the works. Made me wait around two hours at the border before finally giving me permission to enter, Ive no doubt they used that time to snoop around my email and run me through databases as a security check.

I had a Syrian visa in my passport as well and they were less than impressed at that, I faced loads of questions about why I was in Syria as if it was crime of the century. His hatred of Syria was written all over his face. He was in a huff for me being Irish as well and made that clear too and he was in another huff that I would dare enter Israel and use it to transit the 30kms or so to Egypt without spending any time there. So yeah you couldnt pay me to go back to Israel after that experience.

To be fair to them, the Israelis can't afford mistakes with their security. They have determined enemies of every colour and creed.

It's a siege mentality but it's kept their country alive in a very precarious part of the world. Don't take this as an endorsement of Israeli policies, but if I were an Israeli Defence Minister I'd make sure a massive single failure point such as their lone major international entry point is guarded to bejaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Heraclius wrote: »
    I

I would answer very differently if I had to live long term in some of the places though. I wouldn't feel comfortable living in a place with very strong sexist or homophobic views/laws and I wouldn't feel great living in societies with massive wealth disparities.

Your choice would be very limited.

As of 2021, same-sex marriage is legally performed and recognized in 29 countries (nationwide or in some jurisdictions):

In contrast, 33 countries (as of 2021) have gendered definitions of marriage in their constitutions that prevent same-sex marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yurt! wrote: »
    To be fair to them, the Israelis can't afford mistakes with their security. They have determined enemies of every colour and creed.

It's a siege mentality but it's kept their country alive in a very precarious part of the world. Don't take this as an endorsement of Israeli policies, but if I were an Israeli Defence Minister I'd make sure a massive single failure point such as their lone major international entry point is guarded to bejaysus.

ah yeah I know what youre saying and I had no problems at all being security vetted in order to gain entry. It was more so the attitude of the member of the IDF that rubbed me up the wrong way. He could have done his job by treating people with respect but thats not the culture of the IDF, literally everyone is an enemy to them and they treat outsiders with hostility and disdain. When he was questioning me on Syria the strong innuendo was by going there I must be a supporter of the Syrian government and therefore an enemy of Israel, they literally try to paint you with their own prejudices.

To be fair I knew what I was heading into as Id spoken to other backpackers in Jordan who experienced the exact same hostility from them, one German lad told me he was made feel like he needed to apoligise for Germanys actions in WW2 such was the hostility. He said his interrogator was throwing his arms up in the air and shouting the question 'what does a German want to come to Israel for?' over and over again. They go out of their way to try to wind people up in the hope they react and then they have an excuse not to let them in.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ah yeah I know what youre saying and I had no problems at all being security vetted in order to gain entry. It was more so the attitude of the member of the IDF that rubbed me up the wrong way. He could have done his job by treating people with respect but thats not the culture of the IDF, literally everyone is an enemy to them and they treat outsiders with hostility and disdain.

To be fair, that's not the culture of the IDF. It's the culture of most security forces. I've had similar experiences with the more heavily armed police in France and Spain. And I can't really fault them. They're involved in very dangerous work, and everyone is a potential threat to them and those around them.
    They go out of their way to try to wind people up in the hope they react and then they have an excuse not to let them in.

Whereas I know many people who have had no problems with getting into Israel regardless of where they'd been previously. I think there's a certain luck factor to those 'westerners' who are interrogated and those who aren't. I wasn't beyond a few basic questions (and I'd been in Iran and Egypt before going to Israel), but at the hotel bar, I was part of a conversation of a group of foreigners some of whom were put out by their experiences, while others couldn't see what the fuss was about. A wide range of experiences, so I suspect some IDF/officials are dicks and while others aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

And on the other hand, just try presenting your passport at the borders of some of the surrounding Arab Countrys with an Israeli stamp in it.....:rolleyes:

Your choice would be very limited.

As of 2021, same-sex marriage is legally performed and recognized in 29 countries (nationwide or in some jurisdictions):

In contrast, 33 countries (as of 2021) have gendered definitions of marriage in their constitutions that prevent same-sex marriage.

I don't really mean countries that have same sex marriage necessarily, I think that's an unreasonable threshold considering Ireland in 2014 was ok to live in (but 2021 is better). I'm fine with countries where gay men are not persecuted. If I'm to live somewhere I'd like it to be somewhere somewhat tolerant or at least becoming more tolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Israel

vicwatson wrote: »
    Israel

I'd actually love to see Jerusalem.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

I'd actually love to see Jerusalem obliterated.

oh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

For personal safety fears, I would say Syria. It’s been an absolute **** show since 2011, and I read somewhere recently it is technically the most dangerous place on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

I'd actually love to see Jerusalem.

I have no affiliation to Israel i was there on a brief work trip. But regardless of religious beliefs or your stance on Palestinian/Israeli affairs Jerusalem is a very interesting and absorbing city to visit imo.
    Personally I liked the country , the northern part around the Sea of Galilee is very serene which I found unexpected given its proximity to the nearby Golan heights and the Dead Sea /Negev Desert area was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I would have something of a moral dilemma going to places with strongman leaders. However, it's just temporary and centuries of history and culture shouldn't be undone and denied just because the current leader is a dick.

That said, Israel is a country I'd struggle to justify visiting. I'm not that fussed about going to England any time soon, though I have friends and family that make it very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Dubai with its veneer of respectability and hypocrisy. Built on slave labour and kingship that would make the worst royalists blush.

When you see how we reacted here in Ireland when the lockdown strings were loosened and we got the fine weather...now imagine how the Russians reacted when the wall fell, and took communism with it? They had been controlled all of their lives under communism.....watching and listening to 8 track videos that had to be smuggled in as there was no internet back then.And no place to buy them either, the so called supermarkets, ( which bore absolutely no resemblence to their western counterparts ) called "GUM" stores. short for "Governmental Universal Magazine",would have had several assistant's standing behind counters but with very little to sell. So no surprise then when they had the opportunity to attend a live free concert with some famous names playing. That would have been a holiday atmosphere like they had never experienced before, not even the Police..usually their experience with crowds would definitely not be on the peacefull side... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I would go to North Korea if allowed also. Even as bad as it is. People make do...
    I've been to North Korea on a supervised tour from China. We spent 4 days there. Fascinating place, deeply grim at times. It has George Orwell levels of propaganda. Like how I imagine the Soviet Union was in the 1970s.

I'm really glad I went as it was a unique experience but I'd never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Cannibals aren't they, or do they shrink heads or some sh|t like that?
    Little fellas with rubber bands on their willies. Lucky to get out of there with your life.

Your mixing it up with Clare, or maybe South Tipp!

A neighbour of mine has a daughter in Australia and he went to visit her for three weeks a while back.

He pulled back into the driveway 8 days later.

Forgot his Passport?

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    e and the priest was sacrificing chickens as part of the "mass". TIA.

Probably something they could try here because they aint attracting too many under 50's with the current set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

starkid wrote: »
    Dubai with its veneer of respectability and hypocrisy. Built on slave labour and kingship that would make the worst royalists blush.

its a client state of Saudi Arabia in many ways and in truth not much different to Saudi , it just has a better PR image

• Advertisement

Russia, Finland and Norway meet on the map, as do Russia, China and North Korea. Big expanse in between, and I would be suspect of anyone who thinks they know the character of "the Russian people".

There are probably places where life under the Tsars, Communism and nowadays has changed very little.[/QUOT
    Has some one claimed to know the character of the Russian people? Short of a book by James A Mitchener ( or his modern equivalent ) I would be suspicious too of anyone claiming to define the Russian character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I was very briefly in Venezuela in 2016 and given that experience and how much worse it's gotten, you'd have to pay me quite a bit to go there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

There's a Dispatches documentary currently on All4 about Eritrea and how messed up it is. Galling when you see those Britain First arseholes hassling Eritrean refugees in England given what they went through in their homeland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

4Ad wrote: »
    Russia..

This. Only country I've been to where I got mugged by the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

spacetweek wrote: »

Didn't Pakie Bonner's father get mugged by the Police also while over at an Irish game ??

spacetweek wrote: »

For me, that was Thailand . :D

Didn't stop me from returning though.

For me, that was Thailand . :D

Didn't stop me from returning though.

I cant speak about Thailand, but in Russia its the national pastime...,I got stopped in a rural area, outside of Moscow,by two policemen. One played the good cop, the other bad cop.
    Good cop taps his neck with his forefinger, and says to me " Alcohol"??? Me Nyet. Bad cop stands very near my face, sniffing. Alcohol...DA. So indicates I should follow him into the police car. Once both of us are seated, he looks around the car, and picks up a square of paper off the floor, and and folds it into a Twist ( same as shopkeepers used to do years ago when giving sweets to kids) He then blows into it, and gives it a good shake, in the interests of hygiene, and asks me to blow into it, which I do, but he's not happy. Again he indicates, so I blow again. He takes a long hard sniff and gives his verdict. Alcohol, DA!!! We go back to the car, and the good cop, who agrees with the DA verdict, and they indicate to get in my car and follow them. Might seem strange that they allow someone who has tested positive for alcohol, but thats the way it seems in Russia. Anyway we eventually arrive in what seems like a private residence, but inside there's a nurse who hooks me up to some kind of a machine that rattles and squeaks when its switched on, hands me a mouthpiece and tells me to blow...and blow...and blow. And so I do to the point where I run out of breath. She looks at the readout, and sighs.....again. So off we go again, round two. And again, when I'm on my last gasp. she holds up her hand..stop. So I do, gasping for breath. She examines the readout again, and I'm on tenterhooks waiting...but she smles and says Nyet Alcohol. And suddenly we are all best buddies,,,even bad cop, who shrugs his shoulders, and shakes my hand, we leave the clinic in a cloud of new found friendship, and go for a drink.:D

jmreire wrote: »
    I cant speak about Thailand, but in Russia its the national pastime...,I got stopped in a rural area, outside of Moscow,by two policemen. One played the good cop, the other bad cop.

Well.. with my first trip to Moscow, I was followed from Red Square to the bar I was going to, whereupon the two police officers sat down and joined me for a drink. They wanted to practice their English with me, and the second officer wanted to introduce his sister to me. Go figure. Turned out to be a rather fun evening with their broken English. His sister wanted a foreign husband, alas/luckily.. I was far too poor for her.

I've encountered many types of Police abroad, although TBH I've been rather lucky, in that most of the responded well to a bit of respect and kowtowing. Discretion is the better part of valor when it comes to cops in police states. Still, I've had a few try to blackmail me, or get me into dodgy situations. Not many though, all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Well.. with my first trip to Moscow, I was followed from Red Square to the bar I was going to, whereupon the two police officers sat down and joined me for a drink. They wanted to practice their English with me, and the second officer wanted to introduce his sister to me. Go figure. Turned out to be a rather fun evening with their broken English. His sister wanted a foreign husband, alas/luckily.. I was far too poor for her.
    Sounds like a scene from a hostel movie. Was the sister hot?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a scene from a hostel movie. Was the sister hot?

Pretty, rather than hot, and nothing much happened. Plenty of drinks and flirting, but I left that bar alone.

Advertisement