Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any country you would not go to even if you were paid to go there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Really? I thought the Dutch were fierce friendly.

Yeah I find it strange that a lot of people think they are "friendly"...the reality is quite different, obnoxious is probably the best word to describe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Most of the Middle Eastern and African countries

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

mojesius wrote: »
    India. Looks like a bloody kip.

As someone who was forced over there for a wedding it is indeed a bloody kip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd have no problem going to any country in the world, especially if I had not been there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,826 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Most of the Middle East excepting Jordan and Egypt. This includes Israel.

Much of sub-Saharan Africa where wars, famines, tinpot dictators reign - but I would very much like to see some parts such as Tanzania (a good friend’s sister has extended an open invitation for me to come and stay with her there), South Africa, Zambia, Kenya and Namibia.

Some unstable countries in Central America I would also give a miss.

I’d pay money never to set foot on Israeli soil..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Australia.
    What's wrong with skippy land? It's great fun over there. Good weather, locals are grand. It's a grand spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

archer22 wrote: »
    Yeah I find it strange that a lot of people think they are "friendly"...the reality is quite different, obnoxious is probably the best word to describe them.
    I can't say I've ever heard anyone say that about them. I mean a lot of people would say the Hungarians are rude and unfriendly which I would tend to agree with, but the Dutch are sound, or least they were when I was there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CaoimhinCong

I'd rather go to Lesotho then Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭Hamachi

mojesius wrote: »
    India. Looks like a bloody kip.

It’s worth seeing once in your life, if only to appreciate how truly wonderful life in Ireland is by comparison.

I’m not an emotional person, but I found the poverty quite upsetting. The general filth and squalor is appalling. The heat and noise is an assault on the senses. Indians are mostly quite gentle and kind people though.

My first trip there I contracted an horrific dose of ‘Delhi belly’ which somewhat ruined the trip. I had to run out in the middle of several work meetings. Let’s just say that turtle was very close to leaving the shell a number of times!

Everybody that goes to India seems to get the trots.

• Advertisement

I have such disdain for the Gulf states that I have a map on my 'office' wall with that entire region newspaper'd over with a copy of The Daily Mail front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Isreal . Out of principal I wouldn’t set foot in it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Anywhere that they have insects with loads of legs and bigger than my head that can kill you:eek:

Myanmar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Can I ask why?

I’ve been to Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia and Peru - amazingly different in many ways.

Colombia and Ecuador are on my list to visit.

Nothing major tbh, it just doesn't appeal to me. Nothing at all drawing in my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

South Africa or any country that people are racists against whites, and I not really "white", more mediterranean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I have lived and worked in a lot of the Middle East, but predominantly Kuwait and Iraq. The stereotype of Gulf countries is unfortunately false. They are full of culture, welcoming people, and truly beautiful landscapes. Obviously however there are issues which cannot be overlooked, chiefly the (mis)treatment of women and the LGBT community, but I do recommend people to visit and experience them. You just have to be mindful of the cultural differences and abide by them so long as you are there.

The one country I will never go back to is Italy. Outside of the countryside which is undoubtedly beautiful, the cities are sh1tholes, full of people trying to scam you at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hamachi wrote: »
    It’s worth seeing once in your life, if only to appreciate how truly wonderful life in Ireland is by comparison.

I’m not an emotional person, but I found the poverty quite upsetting. The general filth and squalor is appalling. The heat and noise is an assault on the senses. Indians are mostly quite gentle and kind people though.

My first trip there I contracted an horrific dose of ‘Delhi belly’ which somewhat ruined the trip. I had to run out in the middle of several work meetings. Let’s just say that turtle was very close to leaving the shell a number of times!

I found that my appreciation for Ireland grew after living in New York and London for a few years. I missed the greenery, the clean air, the accessibility to nature and the people. So I definitely don't need to go to India for that reason.
    Work also tried sending me there for a few weeks and I got out of it as I was pregnant at the time, just made my excuses. I work with a lot of Indians and some are great friends of mine, but they'll also tell you the woes of the country.

Anyone I know who has been has also had the trots and said similar to you, that it's an assault on the senses. I just have no desire to visit. Also, it doesn't seem the safest place to visit as a woman (although there are unfortunately many countries like that).

What's wrong with skippy land? It's great fun over there. Good weather, locals are grand. It's a grand spot.

Sure there's no accounting for these things. There was someone on the thread earlier said Mexico, one of my favourite places w/ great people, food, craic and one of the most diverse and interesting countries on the face of the planet. :eek:

But if I *had* to answer the q... Australia always seemed like a cultural wasteland to me... plus it's boringly predictable destination for Irish people (am sure it's grand really :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Poland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,826 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn’t mind seeing and experiencing Australia.. I worked with a couple of Aussies, one is a family friend and really got on and liked them.... spending 40 hours on aircraft though to get there and back , I think that would put me off..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Barna77 wrote: »
    Poland

Polish cuisine is truly awful. Pigs nose in beetroot soup and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The UK.

What, like the whole of the UK?

England, Scotland, Northern Ireland & Wales! Honestly, you would avoid The UK, or maybe just parts of it? I mean parts of the UK are gorgeous, from Cornwall (currently in the news) to the Lake district, the Cotswolds, Gower peninsula in Wales, Glens of Antrim, the Jurassic South coast, and you say that you'd avoid the UK, really?

England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Slovakia - I thought the bar and restaurant staff were quite rude ignorant in Bratislava. For some reason most of them wore blue jeans with a white t-shirt and gave myself and my friends a funny look any time we entered a bar or restaurant there.

England.

i once spent a week travelling around its midlands to various towns.....grim is not the word....a country really in decay,who'se best days are behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭archfi

archer22 wrote: »

The Dutch can be very direct. :D

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

i once spent a week travelling around its midlands to various towns.....grim is not the word....a country really in decay,who'se best days are behind it

margaret-thatcher_500x500_gettyimages-108932085.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Saudi Arabia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

haven't read the thread yet but two places I'd love to go to(for the food) but will never go - India and Pakistan.

Advertisement