Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you just don't get...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

McGaggs wrote: »
    Tap card/phone on machine, phone beeps, service/goods paid for, balance on banking app instantly updated, .

Instantly updated :pac:

I had to tap recently for a few cans one Saturday, it didn't deduct off my balance til Wednesday nor did it show as a pending transaction. I thought I'd probably got away with them for free.

If you like not having a clue how much is actually in your bank knock yourself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I had to tap recently for a few cans one Saturday, it didn't deduct off my balance til Wednesday nor did it show as a pending transaction. I thought I'd probably got away with them for free.

If you like not having a clue how much is actually in your bank knock yourself out.
    What bank are you using? Revolut and N26 are always instant. You can check your balance on the app.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just unload them into the self service checkout at Tesco etc. No commission and it feels like a free shop.
    Very time consuming though if you have a heap of coppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I was in Sports Direct the other day stuck behind a lad looking for a card refund. It required so many managers to come down I thought Mike Ashley himself might appear. A good 10 minutes it took.

I've witnessed the same shenanigans over a cash refund. Mike Ashley just doesn't want to part with any money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Transactions show up instantly on my internet banking app.

The only delay is with refunds, but that's hardly an inconvenience, nor a reason to carry cash.

• Advertisement

You bank with BoI, don't you?

As soon as I tap for my shopping in Aldi, my phone beeps as the notification come in from my bank to tell me how much I've spent in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I was in Sports Direct the other day stuck behind a lad looking for a card refund. It required so many managers to come down I thought Mike Ashley himself might appear. A good 10 minutes it took.

I feel like actually assaulting anybody infront of me paying for a can of Coke with it.

You seem to have very bad luck with the places you attend. Your experiences are not representative of the norm.

Also, I think you have bigger problems than card/ cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just unload them into the self service checkout at Tesco etc. No commission and it feels like a free shop.

Why not just give it to the cashier? Its all legal tender like.....tough sh1t if they have to count it....?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Satisfaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fûcking around on social media, seeing vermin teens running amok again in the city, our city ... a taxi driver who does no more then stop at a red traffic light, gets approached by some 18/19 year olds who rip the roof sign off his taxi and smash it onto the ground ....

A pure evil and malevolent expression on the face of the main vermin he’s not even doing it for some ‘craic’ it’s actually just pure nastiness and hatefulness..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why Amazon in the UK sends millions of perfectly good items to be destroyed every year, laptops, TVs, books etc. Would it not be cheaper for them to donate them to charity and libraries, ask the charity to come and pick them up so there's no cost to Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why Amazon in the UK sends millions of perfectly good items to be destroyed every year, laptops, TVs, books etc. Would it not be cheaper for them to donate them to charity and libraries, ask the charity to come and pick them up so there's no cost to Amazon.

Good idea but...Cost them money as every charity is hanging on till the end of the year and writing a begging letter.... instead of making a purchase...lots of charities are absolutely minted too..

Strumms wrote: »
    Good idea but...Cost them money as every charity is hanging on till the end of the year and writing a begging letter.... instead of making a purchase...lots of charities are absolutely minted too..
    Maybe donate to schools instead. Brand new computers and TVs and books. They could probably give a new laptop to every student with the amount of gear they are slinging out.

Or give the stuff straight to the government and let them distribute it. Remember they were saying they wanted disadvantaged kids to have laptops or tablets during lockdown?

Would it not be cheaper for them to sell the items for £0.01 each than to pay for them to be destroyed?

Why not just give it to the cashier? Its all legal tender like.....tough sh1t if they have to count it....?

They don't have to accept it

Would it not be cheaper for them to sell the items for £0.01 each than to pay for them to be destroyed?
    That would probably skew the market. If you can get laptop A for 1p and similar laptop B for several hundred, nobody will buy B. Then brand B's company will want a word in Amazon's ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

amazon destroying returned ipads, laptops etc
    could they not donate em to charity,
    NFTS ,People paying 50k for a piece of art on the blockchain.
    Its like bicoin, it bad for the environment too.
    you can download images and print em out for free .
    i think thats modern life, anyone can say anything is art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yes. But most vendors keep the machine behind the counter. If I'm in the Chinese I'm blindly tapping something I can't see- I could be paying 48 euro for an 8 euro meal for all I know.

yeah thats frustrating when you are presented the machine upside down to tap your card and cant see what amount they typed in. Its the only time I ask for a reciept because its easy enough for them to make a mistake and put an extra zero onto the total

The ITV report said that Amazon charge third party sellers money to store their goods in their warehouses and the charges go up and up the longer the item sits on the shelf and is not sold. So eventually it becomes next to worthless and gets destroyed.

Its a sh1tty excuse but thats the way they explained the fault in the system. The Glasgow warehouse alone had a target to destroy 130,000 items in a single month, in the same month they donated 27,000 items to charity so it can be done rather than destroying perfectly good items. I found it hard to believe that they couldnt discount tvs so much that someone would buy it even if it were for 100 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s the Big Tech equivalent of the EU’s “butter mountains” and wine lakes.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Why not? What's wrong with really enjoying your work? I'd put myself in the enjoy certain projects, passion might be a bit strong but I really do enjoy projects I work on.

Same. I love making improvements to the process we do here. Often times I get to use interesting machines, technology and robotics that I wouldn't at home.
    I can usually measure how well something was working before I came along and see what the difference is after I've finished a project.
    I get if you're an accountant or in finance or some other paper pusher it might not be so interesting but I work in manufacturing and do a lot of hands on work. I find it interesting and often rewarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

FrankN1 wrote: »
    People who are excited to work on certain projects at work. Or have a "passion" for it...really?

I don't get people who are the opposite. The people who go to work every day, year after year, hate their job, constantly complain about their employer, their role, and just so negative.

They make zero effort to get an alternative job or change things at all.

I'm not talking about people who are in a role while trying to change things etc but those who cannot see anything good about being there and voice their negativity all the time. I work with one such person and is draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Gammyeye wrote: »
    Things you just don't get...

Tattoos on women, sorry but I'd rather enjoy the female form without all that sh*t on their legs & arms. Too many men with tats too!

Tattoos on women, sorry but I'd rather enjoy the female form without all that sh*t on their legs & arms. Too many men with tats too!
    `
    Legs and arms aren't too bad. I don't mind a tramp stamp either, but anything on the neck or chest is too much.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I don't get guys who think they have a right to dictate what a woman can and can not do with her own body. Not pointing any fingers here so no need to get defensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I don't get people who are the opposite.

Im in the opposite category but not because I dislike my job, for me its just because where I work all the extra projects are bullsh*t projects that dont really change anything, they just give people a chance to produce a fancy presentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It’s the Big Tech equivalent of the EU’s “butter mountains” and wine lakes.

Do they give butter vouchers? Can they be used to buy cigarettes? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I don't get people who are the opposite. The people who go to work every day, year after year, hate their job, constantly complain about their employer, their role, and just so negative.

I'm not talking about people who are in a role while trying to change things etc but those who cannot see anything good about being there and voice their negativity all the time. I work with one such person and is draining.

Most people are in jobs they hate I'd wager. Unscientific but I'd say 80% of people are in it for the paycheque and want to get the f*ck home/ to the golfcourse / Play Xbox or whatever.

Linkedin weirdos constantly posting about their mundane jobs as if they're secretly not dying inside make me chuckle.

With the decline of religiosity and a grand narrative for society, we're all supposed to be bubbling over with passion and zeal for human battery farm jobs that make us miserable.

Teachers, artists or craftsmen/trades probably have pretty high job satisfaction - but someone in the IFSC auditing transactions pinging from one tax bolthole to another in the desk furthest from the window? They're probably all longing for the grave secretly.

Any tattoos on neck or hands on any person unless it's very small
    Any large tattoo on someone's back
    Any tattoo that's more than a few inches wide

There's Bs jobs jobs that should not really exist , I presume people in the ifsc are very well paid for what they do I don't get most reality shows unless there's skill involved, grand designs is OK.
    Once there was the xfactor and American idol now there's dozens of talent singing dancing shows
    The masked singer is ok cos its so weird
    I'd like a cop show that's realistic eg it shows some cops
    using drugs or planting evidence or else doing stupid things that American cops do
    Eg stopping drivers just because they are black
    Eg not all cops are hero's or smart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Yurt! wrote: »
    Teachers, artists or craftsmen/trades probably have pretty high job satisfaction - but someone in the IFSC auditing transactions pinging from one tax bolthole to another in the desk furthest from the window? They're probably all longing for the grave secretly.

But...but...they have "passion"!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

riclad wrote: »
    amazon destroying returned ipads, laptops etc
    could they not donate em to charity,
    NFTS ,People paying 50k for a piece of art on the blockchain.
    Its like bicoin, it bad for the environment too.
    you can download images and print em out for free .
    i think thats modern life, anyone can say anything is art.

Money laundering is rife in the art world.

Yeah, I don't know how you could do some utterly miserable job in a banking corporation or the civil service for 40-50 years of your life.

Life is too short to do something you hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

razorblunt wrote: »
    Money laundering is rife in the art world.

In crypto too.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Why people who can potentially earn more elsewhere, become politicians.

For example, Leo. He could earn significantly more as a doctor working 5 x 1/2 days, yet he spends his time listening to b1thching and moaning and his constituents wanting him to sort out his free travel pass.

While spending his weekends going to media commitments, commemorations and various other functions.

I get why half of the Dáil do it - because they can't earn any more anywhere else and probably get an orgasm sorting out somebody's medical card, or generally love the power and influence they have which they wouldn't have otherwise in their rural existence working in the local mart or something.

But why solicitors, barristers, doctors, etc do it, when all can earn significantly more elsewhere - I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

POWER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why people who can potentially earn more elsewhere, become politicians.

For example, Leo. He could earn significantly more as a doctor working 5 x 1/2 days, yet he spends his time listening to b1thching and moaning and his constituents wanting him to sort out his free travel pass.

While spending his weekends going to media commitments, commemorations and various other functions.

I get why half of the Dáil do it - because they can't earn any more anywhere else and probably get an orgasm sorting out somebody's medical card, or generally love the power and influence they have which they wouldn't have otherwise in their rural existence working in the local mart or something.

But why solicitors, barristers, doctors, etc do it, when all can earn significantly more elsewhere - I don't get it.

are you having a laugh? the salary for a taoiseach is over 200K. there is no way he would be earning that money as a young GP.

are you having a laugh? the salary for a taoiseach is over 200K. there is no way he would be earning that money as a young GP.

He's not that young you know....

He's not that young you know....

not that long qualified as a gp if i remember correctly. 200K+ is top consultant money and leo is nowhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭randd1

How people get so worked up about a celebrity that they devote their lives to following them, and completely ignore any possible negative aspects of them.

The recent Brittany Spears thing, Michael Jackson before that, and others.

Are these people mental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

All this rainbow Shiite we've had to suffer for the last few years, it seems never ending. Every other day is some sort of rainbow/pride day and now we have EUFA having to defend a decision not illuminate the stadium in munich in rainbow colours for the Germany -v- Hungary game as it would be seen to be a political statement rather than an inclusive one, which I agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭randd1

All this rainbow Shiite we've had to suffer for the last few years, it seems never ending. Every other day is some sort of rainbow/pride day and now we have EUFA having to defend a decision not illuminate the stadium in munich in rainbow colours for the Germany -v- Hungary game as it would be seen to be a political statement rather than an inclusive one, which I agree with.
    Who cares about the rainbow thing, really? It doesn't affect any of us seeing a rainbow flag anywhere, and if it did affect you that much, then you're inevitably the one with the problem.

The rainbow flag is just a flag and nothing to get worked up over. At the very least it adds a bit of colour to things. So what if people want to show support to gay people? Most of us have family, friends or a neighbour who are LGBT, what difference is a flag

The idea that every LGBT person is a victim and persecuted because they're LGBT as peddled by some groups is a bit over the top, as is this notion most people are still uncomfortable being around LGBT people, especially when you know yourself that you could care less either way. And such things are peddled in some LGBT quarters, and might annoy some. Nobody likes a constant whiner, or being labelled something they know they're not. Thankfully in society these days being LGBT is down the list of what makes a person who they are, and going further down every year.

But the rainbow thing? What harm is it doing really, it's just a colourful flag celebrating a small cohort of our family, friends and neighbours. What harm?

not that long qualified as a gp if i remember correctly. 200K+ is top consultant money and leo is nowhere near that.

Well he's out long enough that he'd probably be earning close enough to it....but even still, work 5 days, switch off, or listen to Mary Lou and the like all week, then spend weekends going here there and everywhere, I know which I'm picking!

randd1 wrote: »
    How people get so worked up about a celebrity that they devote their lives to following them, and completely ignore any possible negative aspects of them.

The recent Brittany Spears thing, Michael Jackson before that, and others.

Are these people mental?

What's the Britney spears thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why are only pensioners with big houses are forced to downsize and not tiny families/couples in houses far too big for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Why are only pensioners with big houses are forced to downsize

Are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Antares35 wrote: »
    Are they?

They are the only demographic being chattered about and earmarked for "right sizing" to use another bland office-speak inspired phrase.

They are the only demographic being chattered about and earmarked for "right sizing" to use another bland office-speak inspired phrase.

earmarked by who? you talk as if they will be forced to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

In crypto too.

Yeah, interestingly McAfee was saying the Feds were chasing him as they thought he had "hidden crypto".

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yeah, interestingly McAfee was saying the Feds were chasing him as they thought he had "hidden crypto".

the feds were chasing him because he was earning millions and getting paid in crypto so he could avoid the IRS.

Because they're easy to identify.

Ok computer, give me the names and addresses of everyone in receipt of a state pension and the living alone allowance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement