Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irritating American names for things

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

riclad wrote: »
    Working class dubs say ma not mom
    Americans who come here probably find it odd if someone says have you got a fag
    meaning cigarette

Or “can I bum a fag?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A weird one is "cissy" or sissy. It used to be used as an insult in primary school, dont think any of us ever knew the real meaning behind it except that it was implying a fellow who liked "girlish" stuff. However youd never hear it into secondary school or adulthood. Which is why I always find it funny when you hear it in American films, tv etc by adult men to insult each other.

“Then I took out my razor blade
    And I did what god forbade
    Now the cops are after me
    But I proved that I’m no sissy “

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

From the NBA: threepeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

they used to be called runners ,before sneakers became premium fashion items worth 100s of dollars.

english changes all the time, theres dozens of words that came from tech, or the web, lol, selfie, i have never heard an irish person say the word mom, the irish say ma, mammy, mother,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Markcheese

They've been runners and sneakers for years over here - I think trainers was more a UK thing originally...

I'm old enough to remember them being rubber dollies in cork ... ( Although rarely heard it )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Advertisement