Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Faucet.

Irritating & rediculous name for a tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

American girls refer to the hair that grows down the front of their forehead as "bangs"

"I need to trim my bangs"

What the fcuk are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Jam - Jelly

Da Bomb - really good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

That answered neither of my questions.

That must be irritating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Da Bomb - really good

Dope is another one. Explains all the mongos that culture is spawning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The way they call your bum , your fanny.
    Very easily can lead to ' mistakes ' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

American girls refer to the hair that grows down the front of their forehead as "bangs"

"I need to trim my bangs"

What the fcuk are you on?

Unfortunately that has made its way over here. Saw a pic of my 19 year old niece on Instagram earlier who was after getting her hair done so I sent her a text and asked here when she got a fringe she text back and asked "Do you mean my bangs" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

"Back in de day",seems to have taken over here by people without embarrasment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My bad, indicating a mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Soddering instead of soldering. Every Statesian youtuber calls it soddering

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yet they will type it as soldering. Seems to be an accent thing. Maybe the L after the O and before the D is difficult to pronounce for some north American accents? Canadians do the same thing. The L will probably disappear in time. Than and Then mixed up another one, though that's observable everywhere.

In much the same way that some English accents can't seem to navigate two vowel type sounds together. EG instead of "Drawing" a few English accents will pronounce it as "DrawRing". "Drawer" is another that come be contracted to "Draw"(some will even spell it that way). I've heard some East Coast US accents that do similar. I seem to remember it's something to do with the vowel shift in English. It happened in England and the US, but didn't happen here with hiberno English to nearly the same degree, so we sound more like pre vowel shift in our pronunciations. Well we did before the Dort accent took hold and latterly the fully Americanised accent affectation. A fair number of our older words have become rare to hear. Though "press" instead of "cupboard" and "I'm after going to.." is still in play, things like "shores" instead of "drains", or "bowler" for a dog are all but gone. Nature of language I suppose and new words come in, but I think it's a bit of a pity. I've only heard an example of vocal fry the once, a conversation, if it bore the weight of that description, between two young wans in a shop, but jaysus that's hard on the ears and makes the speaker sound like a complete dribbling moron.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

My fury doesn't come so much for their names but rather their pronunciations.

I first went to the US at the age of 17 and I was in my cousins's house and we played Trivial Pursuit in the basement and ate pizza.

Her mate plucked a card and announced "Sport and 'LEE-ZHURE'"

Who the FCUK came up with that pronunciation?

Leisure rhymes with pleasure.

"LEE-ZHURE" FFS.

Then I had the "pleasure" of later hearing ROUTE pronounced as "ROWT"

Take a different ROWT. Yet they will still sing "Get your kicks on ROOT 66"

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Faucet.

Irritating & rediculous name for a tap.
    There is actually a technical distinction between a tap and faucet. And, embarrassingly, the US usage of "faucet" is technically more correct.

The whole, um, apparatus has three parts:

1. At one end, there's a connection to a hole in a vessel or water main, through which water can come out. That connection is the "tap". You "tap into" a water main by making such a hole and connecting a pipe to it.

2. The water comes out into a pipe - the "spigot".

3. At the other end of the spigot is a device which opens and closes, to allow or arrest the escape of water from the end of the spigot. That device is the "faucet". The faucet is the bit that you handle and, mostly, the bit that's visible.

"Synecdoche' is the phenomenon by which a complex thing is named after one of its parts - "motor" for a motor vehicle; "hand" for a workman. Calling the entire assembly a tap, as we do, or a faucet, as the Americans do, are both examples of synecdoche. But in most circumstances, the US usage is closer to accurate. You don't turn the tap; you turn the faucet. And there's only a leak in the tap if the leak is at the join between the spigot and the main. If water is dripping out the end of the spigot the problem is likely to be with the faucet, not the tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Peregrinus wrote: »
    There is actually a technical distinction between a tap and faucet. And, embarrassingly, the US usage of "faucet" is technically more correct.

1. At one end, there's a connection to a hole in a vessel or water main, through which water can come out. That connection is the "tap". You "tap into" a water main by making such a hole and connecting a pipe to it.

3. At the other end of the spigot is a device which opens and closes, to allow or arrest the escape of water from the end of the spigot. That device is the "faucet". The faucet is the bit that you handle and, mostly, the bit that's visible.

"Synecdoche' is the phenomenon by which a complex thing is named after one of its parts - "motor" for a motor vehicle; "hand" for a workman. Calling the entire assembly a tap, as we do, or a faucet, as the Americans do, are both examples of synecdoche. But in most circumstances, the US usage is closer to accurate. You don't turn the tap; you turn the faucet. And there's only a leak in the tap if the leak is at the join between the spigot and the main. If water is dripping out the end of the spigot the problem is likely to be with the faucet, not the tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They all pronounce niche as "nitch"

Ah come now, you're getting more than a bit carried away with the old technicalities there :D

Sure if that's the case we could apply the same logic to Automobile Vs Car, Elevator Vs Lift, Fanny Vs Bottom, Windshield Vs windscreen, Closet Vs Wardrobe, etc etc etc....

I like our words, I like using our definitions instead of the US equivalents, I like turning on the tap (and not the faucet).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ah come now, you're getting more than a bit carried away with the old technicalities there :D

Sure if that's the case we could apply the same logic to Automobile Vs Car, Elevator Vs Lift, Fanny Vs Bottom, Windshield Vs windscreen, Closet Vs Wardrobe, etc etc etc....

I like our words, I like using our definitions instead of the US equivalents, I like turning on the tap (and not the faucet).
    So do I. But that doesn't mean the US preference for "faucet" is irritating and ridiculous. It's just as good as ours. It's only your insecurity that makes you so dismissive of it. ;)

But that doesn't mean the US preference for "faucet" is irritating and ridiculous. It's just as good as ours. It's only your insecurity that makes you so dismissive of it. ;)

:D
    Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Gasoline is probably more technically correct than petrol. Ze Germans called it benzene and it is marketed in some countries as autogas and small aircraft operators call it Mogas to differentiate it from Avgas, which is a different type of petrol for aero engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

'Super'

'Entree' and on the subject of food, we ordered fillets for our main course in Chicago and the waitress insisted on correcting us three times by repeating it as 'fillee' - the french pronunciation. I replied each 'yes I'll have the fillet'

Following up the location of a town/city with its country or US state. I know there is a Paris in Texas and France but from the context of the conversation most societies around the world dont need to refer to San Francisco as San Francisco, CA. Fair enough if they're referring to a US location that has has been used in more than one state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

'Super'

Ah yes, every single meeting I'm at now with the heads of the company, everyone is always super excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

branie2 wrote: »
    Jam - Jelly

Jelly typically has added pectin or some other thickener. Jam can, but doesn't "in general" especially "pure" jams (like, homemade)

They're two different products in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

'Super'

'Entree' and on the subject of food, we ordered fillets for our main course in Chicago and the waitress insisted on correcting us three times by repeating it as 'fillee' - the french pronunciation. I replied each 'yes I'll have the fillet'

Following up the location of a town/city with its country or US state. I know there is a Paris in Texas and France but from the context of the conversation most societies around the world dont need to refer to San Francisco as San Francisco, CA. Fair enough if they're referring to a US location that has has been used in more than one state.

Entree for a main course is terrible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Gasoline is probably more technically correct than petrol.
    Not really. Gasoline was a brand name for a petroleum spirit. Petrol although a contraction is the more accurate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Tap, faucet, spigot... can we put it down to locali(s/z)ation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

NSAman wrote: »
    MY BAD! = I am a thick yank

Trunk = boot of a car

Starbucks = Coffee

Yeah No = Chicago for No

Where did you get "Starbucks = Coffee"?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    Tap, faucet, spigot... can we put it down to locali(s/z)ation?
    And can we switch to benzine, instead of gas(oline)/petro(eum spirit)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Y'all is the aural equivalent of eye bleach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Alooooominummmmm

Advertisement