Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin the murder capital of Europe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

That’s exactly what you are doing by nitpicking homocide rates.
    Sorry? Whut?

What else defines how safe a country is more than how many people are murdered in it?

But fine, if you want more:

10th safest to visit:
    https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-06-17/the-worlds-10-safest-countries-to-visit-are

17th in this survey:
    https://safearound.com/danger-rankings/

Global peace index, 10th:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

Need anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaintyDavy

Cina wrote: »
    Sorry? Whut?

What else defines how safe a country is more than how many people are murdered in it?

But fine, if you want more:

10th safest to visit:
    https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-06-17/the-worlds-10-safest-countries-to-visit-are

17th in this survey:
    https://safearound.com/danger-rankings/

Global peace index, 10th:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

Need anymore?

Thread is specifically about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

DaintyDavy wrote: »
    Well im glad you feel like its one of the safest places on the planet. For many of us it is not a very safe place at all.

Part of Dublin are an absolute dive, I have travelled around the world including extremely dangerous parts of South America and I'm always most on alert in Dublin. A pinochet style cleanup is badly needed with free one-way helicopter rides out over the Irish sea for anyone associated with Drugs or Methadone in that city.

Well im glad you feel like its one of the safest places on the planet. For many of us it is not a very safe place at all.
    it doesn't really matter what I feel, every stat, measure, survey that's been done has us up there as being an incredibly safe country to live.

I think the problem is people tend to see Ireland in some sort of 'bubble'. Woe on us, our healthcare sucks, our welfare sucks, our transport sucks, it's so unsafe, there's so many scumbags etc. etc. when the reality is that if you go pretty much anywhere outside the most heavily developed countries (Norway, Switzerland, Iceland) you will pretty much find all of those issues everywhere, and in comparison to the vast majority of countries on Earth, Ireland does really well.

Don't mistake what you think is 'safe'/'unsafe' in Ireland as being an accurate measure of how safe/unsafe a country we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

theguzman wrote: »
    That would be a very good analogy, I would easily speculate that there is more murders on a per head basis in Dublin than in London.

Why would you speculate when the stats are out there to be looked up? I don't know the answer to the OP but my guess is that it's not.

Go look up the numbers.

I'll start you off:

Dublin's population is almost 1.5 million
    London's is almost 9 million

So Dublin ~ London/6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

But how would we draw comparisons to other cities if we can only talk about Dubln ?

Then don't make posts about the whole country?
    For such a small country and population we are definitly up there among the most dangerous places in Europe.

Part of Dublin are an absolute dive, I have travelled around the world including extremely dangerous parts of South America and I'm always most on alert in Dublin. A pinochet style cleanup is badly needed with free one-way helicopter rides out over the Irish sea for anyone associated with Drugs or Methadone in that city.

If you live/work in certain areas in Dublin it would be possible to believe its a very safe place. I commute from a rough northside area to work in D1.

Very different from living in Dundrum and communting to Ballsbridge.

Anyone associated with methadone?!

****ing hell! I better stock up on the cold relief products and 3 for 2 Xmas gifts before my local chemist is executed.

A Pinochet style clean up and reintroduction of the death penalty are your suggestions so far .

Anything else ?

• Advertisement

But how would we draw comparisons to other cities if we can only talk about Dubln ?

Because Dublin is also a city???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And yet....
    For such a small country and population we are definitly up there among the most dangerous places in Europe.

Also if you'd actually been to the far larger and more dangerous areas of other european capital and even 2nd cities you would know full well how much of a garbage factually absent statement that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Collie D wrote: »
    Why would you speculate when the stats are out there to be looked up? I don't know the answer to the OP but my guess is that it's not.

Go look up the numbers.

I'll start you off:

So Dublin ~ London/6

So whats that got to do with a per head basis?

I think Dublin is in the top ten for sure.

Because Dublin is also a city???

Yeah , but ...

You think or you know? Are there stats available to back you up?

A Pinochet style clean up and reintroduction of the death penalty are your suggestions so far .

Anything else ?

I would arm the Gardai, increase their flat rate wages to €1,000 per week after tax. I would introduce a special armed Transport police. I would build new prisons, I would jail far more people and if you have three previous convictions then your going away for ten years. Life would mean life and I would use the Death Sentence also. Liberal judges and SJW do-gooders would be no longer allowed to dictate to the law-abiding people. All crime should be punished properly and hire many more gardai. I would call it a total war on Scum. I would end all free legal aid and get rod of half the parasite solicitors.

Around the world the trend is for people who deliver on these promises, Duterte in the Philippines massacred Thousands in his war on Drugs to clean up the country and end corruption. Bolsanaro in Brazil has promised to slaughter the criminals in the favelas from Rio to Salvador. Trump has backed the US police heavily and is stacking the US Supreme court in his favour. In Hungary, Poland and Italy similar toughmen have also gotten into power on common sense crack downs on crime and terror. In Dubai and Saudi Arabia despite there disgusting treatment of women they run a tight ship in regards law and order and if you step out of line your down to chop chop square in Riyadh and in Dubai you will be deported for Drunk and Disorderly never mind more offensive crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I see where you're coming from and indeed where you're from but lets be honest, Leixlip is more Dublin than Kildare. The accent certainly suggests that.

Also the victim had links to Dublin crime gangs and was from Dublin himself.

That part of Kildare, i.e. Leixlip and even some of the newer parts of Maynooth are inhabited by Dubs. I know of one estate in Maynooth where there are families with strong links to this feud.

Anything else ?

Guns, let the general population have guns. What could possibly go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

If you live/work in certain areas in Dublin it would be possible to believe its a very safe place. I commute from a rough northside area to work in D1.

Im not sure what the relevance of you passing through a "rough northside area" and dublin being unsafe is. :confused::confused:

VinLieger wrote: »
    And yet....

Also if you'd actually been to the far larger and more dangerous areas of other european capital and even 2nd cities you would know full well how much of a garbage factually absent statement that is

I would expect more crime in a larger city, that goes without saying. So your point is larger cities are more dangerous?

I would arm the Gardai, increase their flat rate wages to €1,000 per week after tax. I would introduce a special armed Transport police. I would build new prisons, I would jail far more people and if you have three previous convictions then your going away for ten years. Life would mean life and I would use the Death Sentence also. Liberal judges and SJW do-gooders would be no longer allowed to dictate to the law-abiding people. All crime should be punished properly and hire many more gardai. I would call it a total war on Scum.
    Why don't you move to an American city and see how that works out?

Somewhere like Detroit, Baltimore maybe?

Lovely places, I hear.

• Advertisement

Well if you're talking per capita (which we both are) you'll need to know the population. I'm just giving the person I quoted a headstart. All he/she has to do now is find the murder stats and compare. If London has more than six times the number of murders as Dublin then Dublin isn't the murder capital. And that's just one city for comparison, there are hundreds more cities to compare to and "beat".

It's up to whoever is making the claim to provide the stats, not me.

Any data to back that up? Not arguing it just think such a claim should be backed by evidence

I would expect more crime in a larger city, that goes without saying. So your point is larger cities are more dangerous?

No my point is you have a very blinkered view and also zero data to back up your claims

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

we were 16th in 2012

https://www.statista.com/statistics/318810/homicide-rate-for-the-most-populous-city-in-european-countries/

and that data only looks at the most populous city in every country so it is possible we are ranked lower.

Im not sure what the relevance of you passing through a "rough northside area" and dublin being unsafe is. :confused::confused:

I dont pass though a rough area, i live in one and i work in one. Point is you are more likely to witness or get caught up in crime in these areas.

My point is it is easy for some people to percieve a place is safe if they only frequent the few "nice" parts of the city. Like the two i mentioned. It was just an example.

I dont pass though a rough area, i live in one and i work in one. Point is you are more likely to witness or get caught up in crime in these areas.

My point is it is easy for some people to percieve a place is safe if they only frequent the few "nice" parts of the city. Like the two i mentioned. It was just an example.

Do you think other European cities don't have dodgy areas like the one you live in?

Cina wrote: »
    Why don't you move to an American city and see how that works out?

Somewhere like Detroit, Baltimore maybe?

Lovely places, I hear.

All areas where poverty and deprivation have wrought havoc and NAFTA really killed their economy. At least in Ireland we don't have the disastrous gun culture of the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Collie D wrote: »

So Dublin ~ London/6

Tricky to get the precise numbers, 1.5m is Dublin (Greater area), but estimates for London (Greater area), can be anything up to 15m, not 9.
    They also have million(s) of additional commuters daily, using faster and better multiple transport networks.

Per person Dublin may well be 'very high' but it's mainly due to a handful of organised gangs.
    There is also more lower-level crime activity, and a plague of junkies directly associated with this.

London however does have hundreds of gangs, and more specific phenomena, (perhaps from it's migration patterns) i.e. acid attacks.
    It's also not uncommon to see moped gangs lifting whatever they want.

Aside from fatalities which make the headlines, there are 10's of thousands of 'knife attacks' per annum there, not to mention the thousands of moped gang incidents, which don't make the headlines.

As it's more population dense (built up), you'd still be more likely to see crime within specific sq-m/km areas in Ldn, perhaps that's why 'density' is an important factor when considering total population.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

That's Ireland overall though. I'm asking specifically about the Dublin area. For example, there isn't much killing going on in Limerick anymore, and rural Ireland (which makes up around half the population) has traditionally never had a trend of increasing homicides. Cork, Galway and Waterford only occasionally make the news for a murder. It seems the lions share of killing goes on in Dublin, disproportionate to its population.

It seems hard to get statistics on a city by city murder rate for Europe.

Mental that,I mean who would have thought putting such a large cohort of people in such a small space would lead to it being the top place for murder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

hahah what? I'm northside my whole life and live in D3 now, work in the city centre. I've no idea what nonsense you're on about.

Advertisement