Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin the murder capital of Europe?

Options
  • 16-11-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Remember when Limerick was called the murder capital of Europe? I think London is currently the knife capital of Europe?

But despite road blocks, surveillance and armed Gardai patrolling the streets, there seems to be an awful lot of murder and assassinations going on up in the Pale.

It is hard to find any reporting on whether this in fact true or not. But I found this article from 2009 saying Dublin ranks 6th among European capitals for murder rate. Now this was before the Kinahin-Hutch feud, and before the issue with the Gardai under reporting homicide by 18%.

Starting to think Dublin might get top spot. Certainly for central and western Europe. Russia probably takes top spot if that is included.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Yeah.. sure why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ireland is 17th according to statista. Tirana is first.

Which is entirely believable, I lived in Albania for a while. It's far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

troyzer wrote: »

More to do.

kneemos wrote: »
    More to do.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What?
    Kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

That's Ireland overall though. I'm asking specifically about the Dublin area. For example, there isn't much killing going on in Limerick anymore, and rural Ireland (which makes up around half the population) has traditionally never had a trend of increasing homicides. Cork, Galway and Waterford only occasionally make the news for a murder. It seems the lions share of killing goes on in Dublin, disproportionate to its population.

It seems hard to get statistics on a city by city murder rate for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Was this thread triggered by last night's shooting (outside Dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Well, look, it'd be nice to be the capital of something wouldn't it?

London is the financial capital of Europe. Milan is the fashion capital of Europe. Berlin is the party capital of Europe. Paris is the Art capital of Europe. And... Dublin, the murder capital of Europe.

Has a good ring to it.

I say we all get the knives out and get ourselves to #1!

That's Ireland overall though. I'm asking specifically about the Dublin area. For example, there isn't much killing going on in Limerick anymore, and rural Ireland (which makes up around half the population) has traditionally never had a trend of increasing homicides. Cork, Galway and Waterford only occasionally make the news for a murder. It seems the lions share of killing goes on in Dublin, disproportionate to its population.

It seems hard to get statistics on a city by city murder rate for Europe.

Sorry I meant Dublin.

The statistics only include the largest cities in each country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

What?

aldmtd1.jpg?w=300&h=640

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaintyDavy

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Was this thread triggered by last night's shooting (outside Dublin)?

Outside Dublin by a few hundred yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Things were only so bad, they surely went and wrecked everything after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Over 130 people have been murdered in London by knives alone so far this year.

Add in other murders and I reckon London is no. 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

DaintyDavy wrote: »
    Outside Dublin by a few hundred yards.

But still must definitely not in Dublin City or county. You can't just make up stuff to suggest that some areas outside of Dublin should be regarded as Dublin. The border is the border.

Over 130 people have been murdered in London by knives alone so far this year.

Add in other murders and I reckon London is no. 1

London has ten times the population or greater than Dublin, would be interesting to see comparitive stats between both cities and then compare % numbers versus population figures. The whole thing will only get far worse in both places until the Death Penalty is restored and used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

theguzman wrote: »
    London has ten times the population or greater than Dublin, would be interesting to see comparitive stats between both cities and then compare % numbers versus population figures. The whole thing will only get far worse in both places until the Death Penalty is restored and used.

Dublin=london/10

Wasn’t Dublin the top spot in europe for ganglabd shootings last year?

For such a small country and population we are definitly up there among the most dangerous places in Europe.

begbysback wrote: »
    Dublin=london/10

That would be a very good analogy, I would easily speculate that there is more murders on a per head basis in Dublin than in London.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Let the scumbags kill themselves off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

highdef wrote: »
    But still must definitely not in Dublin City or county. You can't just make up stuff to suggest that some areas outside of Dublin should be regarded as Dublin. The border is the border.

I see where you're coming from and indeed where you're from but lets be honest, Leixlip is more Dublin than Kildare. The accent certainly suggests that.

Also the victim had links to Dublin crime gangs and was from Dublin himself.

For such a small country and population we are definitly up there among the most dangerous places in Europe.

Ah jaysus, what are you even on? Ireland is one of the safest countries on the planet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Cina wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, what are you even on? Ireland is one of the safest countries on the planet.

Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I see where you're coming from and indeed where you're from but lets be honest, Leixlip is more Dublin than Kildare. The accent certainly suggests that.

Also the victim had links to Dublin crime gangs.

Very tenous links to one of the families.

Ireland near top of EU table for shootings

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ireland-near-top-of-eu-table-for-shootings-437410.html

Where are you from?

I live in Dublin, if that's what you're trying to get at.

That is shootings, not homicide, you can't just nitpick one aspect of what defines a countries safety. By homicide rates per capita we are nowhere near the top in Europe.

I live in Dublin, if that's what you're trying to get at.

Well im glad you feel like its one of the safest places on the planet. For many of us it is not a very safe place at all.

• Advertisement

That is shootings, not homicide, you can't just nitpick one aspect of what defines a countries safety. By homicide rates per capita we are nowhere near the top in Europe.

That’s exactly what you are doing by nitpicking homocide rates.

Advertisement