Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round 0 2017

• 02-08-2017 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

So CAO Round 0 comes out tomorrow at 6am. At the moment I'm trying to concentrate on trying to distract myself until then. The 21-hour countdown. If anyone wants to share their distraction methods, please do!

So, what is everyone thinking the cut-offs will be this year? Despite the weird shift in the curve, I reckon the cut-offs will stay relatively the same as they were last year. I don't think they'll go up all that much, if even.

:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Best of luck to everyone waiting on offers tomorrow! :)

I'm not waiting on an offer, but will be this time next year as I'm sitting the GAMSAT in September. Registered 6 weeks ago and I've already lost motivation so need to step it up over the next six weeks! :P Hoping that knowing the cut-offs tomorrow will give me motivation as I'll know what I need to aim for.

Some people said that the curve change was due to all cohorts (Australia, Ireland and the U.K.) being grouped together. Australians tend to perform better as they need higher scores, so that could be it. I've also heard that section III was a lot easier in March, so perhaps there has been an increased score across the board, and that will be reflected in tomorrow's scores. Will the cut-offs be posted online? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cloudmed

Thanks Celestial! Best of luck in the GAMSAT. It's a very difficult exam but definitely do-able. I came from a NSB and performed very well. If I can do it, anybody can :)

Yes, the entire cohort was grouped, so the Aussies shifted it. I didn't particularly find section 3 easy. It was very, very different from other years and required a LOT more reading and analysis vs science knowledge.

Since ACER standardises each year so they're comparable, I reckon they've done that for Ireland so this year and last year's cut-offs should be similar. It would be a bit ridiculous to see the points shoot up massively this year because of that.

Yes, the cut-offs will be posted by the CAO - usually in their "media and statistics" section in PDF format.

cloudmed wrote: »
    Thanks Celestial! Best of luck in the GAMSAT. It's a very difficult exam but definitely do-able. I came from a NSB and performed very well. If I can do it, anybody can :)

Yes, the entire cohort was grouped, so the Aussies shifted it. I didn't particularly find section 3 easy. It was very, very different from other years and required a LOT more reading and analysis vs science knowledge.

Since ACER standardises each year so they're comparable, I reckon they've done that for Ireland so this year and last year's cut-offs should be similar. It would be a bit ridiculous to see the points shoot up massively this year because of that.

Yes, the cut-offs will be posted by the CAO - usually in their "media and statistics" section in PDF format.

What score did you get if you don't me asking? Did you have to sit more than once?

I'm from a science background, but I never did physics and don't really know any organic chemistry, which is the bulk of the chemistry section from what I've seen. I've been reading pagingdr, and most of the advice on there seems to have been that the best way to prepare is to do practice questions. Kind of relieved to hear that, as I'm find reading notes very boring. Moving on to practice papers from Friday onwards. I'm hoping to get it first attempt as I have the safety net of sitting it again in March if necessary... The March exam will be much more pressurised if I do badly in September.

From reading over the threads here, it seems as though the points have remained pretty stable in Ireland over the years. I think UCD and RCSI used to be above 60 a few years back, and Limerick was as low as 53 at one point. I don't think there's been a change of more than 3 points from one year to the next so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

It could be that Acer are changing the exam slightly, people did say section III is now more reasoning based. So that should make it easier for those from a non-science background to do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Beariski01

17 hours and counting..... to say that I'm unproductive at work today is an understatement! I really home the points don't go up, im sitting on 58 points and hoping for UL!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jack_L101

Hey guys! Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and hope we can all keep calm until 6am tomorrow :P Don't know whether I'm going to bother trying to sleep tonight or not haha

• Advertisement

Where are you guys hoping to get an offer from?

I'm hoping for RCSI myself but I'd honestly love to go anywhere. Good luck with UL dude! Looking at the cut-offs for the last few years I'd say you've got a really great chance of getting in tomorrow :)

Thanks! Good luck to you too, not long now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CliodhnaC94

Not really seeing the point in sleeping at this stage, praying that there isn't a big jump tomorrow! Anyone else hoping for UCD?

Just six more hours to go! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 coolbeanz93

Got UL with a score of 59, anyone know the UCD cut off point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

Congratulations (and commiserations :() to everyone who was waiting for offers this morning - I remember this day last year being so mixed, emotions-wise!

For anyone coming to Limerick, be sure to join this Facebook group! https://m.facebook.com/groups/195334984312373

Congrats... I'm officially a student again too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eruthia

Do all the offers go out at once? Or do they keep coming out all day?

Still waiting for any word...

I hope everyone got what they wanted! Congrats to all. It's been a tough road here. I accepted UCD this morning so I hope to see some of you in September! Woo!

eruthia wrote: »

I didn't get an email and only seen the offer when I logged into my cao account. Offers might roll out through the day!

Check your CAO Application page if you haven't already. The offer should hopefully be there. If not, I'm not sure if they keep updating but good luck!

Congrats to everyone who got what they wanted! I accepted my offer to RCSI and now I'm sitting here wondering am I technically a fresher again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eruthia

Thanks guys! Found an offer for UCD!!

Yay!! Congrats! I panicked too when 6 o'clock rolled around and there was no email

• Advertisement

What scores did people get in on? Intrigued to see if there was much change and I think it takes a few days for CAO to publish the cut-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stapler123

inca2 wrote: »
    What scores did people get in on? Intrigued to see if there was much change and I think it takes a few days for CAO to publish the cut-offs.

UCD with 60 ! Delighted can't see CAO scores anywhere yet what did everyone else get curious what RCSI was

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CliodhnaC94

Also got into UCD with a score of 61! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brokeasfeck

Also got UL with 59!

Also got UL with 59!
    See you in September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 trickski

Congrats to everyone who got an offer! Got an offer for RCSI with 61 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conal11

Got UL. Congrats everyone. Great achievement. Anyone heading to UL and wants to discuss accommodation options PM me sure

Congrats everyone! Best wishes for the year ahead.

Does anybody know what time the cut offs are posted at?

Congrats everyone! Best wishes for the year ahead.

Does anybody know what time the cut offs are posted at?

I remember last year the cut offs were available straight away.

Should be up on this link when it finally is updated
    http://www2.cao.ie/points/GraduateMedicine2017Round0.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Got UL with a score of 59, anyone know the UCD cut off point?
    Also got UL with 59!

Congratulations guys! Did you have UL as your first choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JJ56

Cut-offs up now. check - go to on the CAO page: 1) Media and statistics, 2) Points by year (choose this year), 3) and you'll see a link for round 0 offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stapler123

JJ56 wrote: »
    Cut-offs up now. check - go to on the CAO page: 1) Media and statistics, 2) Points by year (choose this year), 3) and you'll see a link for round 0 offers.
    Round Zero from CAO website
    UCD 59*
    RCSI 59*
    UCC 58*
    UL 55

Here they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MK089

Hi congratulations on the results!

I got offered Limerick with 58 but wanted Cork or Dublin (wishful thinking) - any idea if there is another offer before round 1 on the 21st considering the deadline for round 0 is on the 10th?

I'm signed up for the exam in September anyway :( I was hoping 58 would be enough for Cork.

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Congratulations guys! Did you have UL as your first choice?

I had UL as my first choice.

• Advertisement

No major change in the points this year then. I guess the altered curve had no effect on the process. Have any of them increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tatatata85

Congratulations!!!! Got to UL! Guys, anybody commuting from Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JS0692

MK089 wrote: »
    Hi congratulations on the results!

I got offered Limerick with 58 but wanted Cork or Dublin (wishful thinking) - any idea if there is another offer before round 1 on the 21st considering the deadline for round 0 is on the 10th?

I'm signed up for the exam in September anyway :( I was hoping 58 would be enough for Cork.

I just rang CAO. There'll be no offers made between now and the 21st. It's a balls, I'm praying for UL with a score of 54.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 conal11

Hang in there Jso692. You never know. There have been offers for under cut off score in recent years. Hi Tatatata85. I'm deciding between commuting from cork city or else getting accommodation up there. Haven't decided yet. Where you commuting from

JS0692 wrote: »
    I just rang CAO. There'll be no offers made between now and the 21st. It's a balls, I'm praying for UL with a score of 54.

There's no official CAO offers but the individual colleges do make offers constantly. Ring them and ask where you are on their waiting list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 nikita_can_run

Got and accepted the offer for UL with the cut off of 55 points! Anyone planning on commuting from Dublin?? Sounds crazy but I can't really relocate because my husband has to stay here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KR777

I was in the exact position last year,I wasnt offered a place at Round 0. I think the people you need to stay in touch with are UL. There will be no official CAO offers but UL may call you and inform you that you are in line for an offer when they are next due. You you will have been put on a waiting list and I rang the admissions office everyday after I didn't get an offer and about
    after about 10 days they rang me and offered me a place! I also know of about 5 people at least who were offered places well after me in September so keep at them! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JS0692

KR777 wrote: »
    I was in the exact position last year,I wasnt offered a place at Round 0. I think the people you need to stay in touch with are UL. There will be no official CAO offers but UL may call you and inform you that you are in line for an offer when they are next due. You you will have been put on a waiting list and I rang the admissions office everyday after I didn't get an offer and about
    after about 10 days they rang me and offered me a place! I also know of about 5 people at least who were offered places well after me in September so keep at them! Best of luck!

Thank you! You've literally just made my day. Just got an email back from UL while writing this, they said that after the reply date of the 10th of August they will be reviewing all applicants again. They said to ring after this date to see if its likely or unlikely if I'd be offered a place. My nan's candle budget is after sky rocketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KR777

Thank you! You've literally just made my day. Just got an email back from UL while writing this, they said that after the reply date of the 10th of August they will be reviewing all applicants again. They said to ring after this date to see if its likely or unlikely if I'd be offered a place. My nan's candle budget is after sky rocketing.

Im telling you, pester them as much as you can (within reason)! I just called and called most days to check and eventually got a phone call about 10 days or so later. Also remember that there will be a huge shift in places as the other colleges start to offer places through second round so don't give up just yet! Fingers and toe crossed for you!

UCD with 66!

stapler123 wrote: »
    UCD with 60 ! Delighted can't see CAO scores anywhere yet what did everyone else get curious what RCSI was
    Also got into UCD with a score of 61! Looking forward to meeting everyone!
    Thanks guys! Found an offer for UCD!!

Hello classmates!!!! :pac::D Can't wait to meet you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 coolbeanz93

Got Ul with a score of 59, missed out on the lotto in UCD. Is there any point in hassling UCD admissions everyday to see if there are places or will it be a lotto regardless? Delighted to get UL but just thinking of costs.

Got Ul with a score of 59, missed out on the lotto in UCD. Is there any point in hassling UCD admissions everyday to see if there are places or will it be a lotto regardless? Delighted to get UL but just thinking of costs.

From my experience, there's a defined waiting list and they'll be able to tell you if it's likely or unlikely that you'll be offered a place. So yes, keep contacting them. There's usually quite a bit of movement when people decline offers and spaces free up. I know last year in RCSI, the initial cut-off was 59 and there was something like 15 people waiting on 58. When the cut-off dropped to 58*, I believe something like 9 people got offered places. Unfortunately, I was number 15 on the random waiting list :P but I am delighted with how things worked out. Thoroughly enjoyed my year in Limerick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Congrats to everyone. If you got an offer (that you aren't happy about) or not, it's early days. Places will become available for one reason or the other.
    If you think you aren't getting in this year because of a low score, my commiserations. Just re-sit the exam.
    Med school is great.

Good luck y'all

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

What's the craic from here guys? The cutoffs might hop down down a point by the 21st?

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    What's the craic from here guys? The cutoffs might hop down down a point by the 21st?

It's possible! It will all depend on how many people don't accept the offers or defer. It's more likely that the random entry * will go to full entry at the points or to random entry a point lower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement