Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One to keep an eye on!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Jake1 wrote: »
    Sorry dude, I posted this as well, didnt notice. Sorry. :)

Dudess (but not her if you get me).:D

No problem.

Kamchatka isn't the same as Shiveluch, I don't think. Also Cleveland in Alaska looks to be getting ready but early stages yet. There's another one in South America but I can't think of the name. I will post it when I come across it again. Just saw it when I was getting this link for you. Chaiten (sp?)

http://volcanolive.com/volcanocams.html

Also

http://www.stromboli.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&sobi2Id=263&Itemid=75 (take your pick from A-Y (Z must be feeling left out!)

ETA: There is also this baby... http://intranet.ingeominas.gov.co/pasto/Reporte_de_actividad_volc%C3%A1n_Galeras_del_26_de_octubre_de_2010

and this:

http://www.eltiempo.com/colombia/cali/el-volcan-galeras-presenta-signos-de-reactivacion_8150720-4

and not forgetting Sinabung. Enough to keep me from getting down to some housework for a good six months which is great.

Reports of ash clouds from Kamchatcka peninsula reaching up to 33,000 feet ,heading east towards Pacific.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gFGlqxgXc-frVh9FRY7U7Z5Cyu2Q?docId=973eae9ee2514e978e02070cc33ea1b9

Dudess (but not her if you get me).:D

No problem.

Kamchatka isn't the same as Shiveluch, I don't think. Also Cleveland in Alaska looks to be getting ready but early stages yet. There's another one in South America but I can't think of the name. I will post it when I come across it again. Just saw it when I was getting this link for you. Chaiten (sp?)

http://volcanolive.com/volcanocams.html

Also

http://www.stromboli.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&sobi2Id=263&Itemid=75 (take your pick from A-Y (Z must be feeling left out!)

ETA: There is also this baby... http://intranet.ingeominas.gov.co/pasto/Reporte_de_actividad_volc%C3%A1n_Galeras_del_26_de_octubre_de_2010

and this:

http://www.eltiempo.com/colombia/cali/el-volcan-galeras-presenta-signos-de-reactivacion_8150720-4

and not forgetting Sinabung. Enough to keep me from getting down to some housework for a good six months which is great.

Imagine a whole bunch went off at same time. YIkes :)
    I know what you mean about the housework :) My eyes are glazed from all these bloody webcams.

Sorry, Kamchatka is the area. I think there is another K-named volcano in Kamchatka that is on the boil. I get confused.

A good man on the ground is James Reynolds who is in the Merapi area. He is updating on twitter. His user name there is @typhoonfury. Follow him for on the spot news. He is also uploading to Youtube. Youtube.com/typhoonhunter

DAILY MAIL HEADLINE

HOUSEWIVES' VOLCANO VOYEURISM - COUGARS SEEK ERUPTIVE SACS

or some such. :o

Excuse me for lowering the tone

• Advertisement

Merapi cam stuck again.

Time to go searching for my children or I can see the Daily Mail spread on housewife neglects children who shoot passers-by and each other with bb gun. Bloody brat who has come for a sleepover brought a bb gun and pellet shooting revolver type thing. Time to get in the car and have a look for them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Time to baton down the hatches here.

Back to business.

Tracked down the Youtube footage by James Reynolds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qinozJIzm1s

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

i know its a way off from the main vol and there only small.
    but a few clusters of 4.0s in Nz today as well,

plus a 5.0 father up the line.

all part of the ring of fire, a lot of activity in that region at the moment.
    and a place to watch

There's a video on this page of some of the Piton eruption.

It actually reminds me of what I always expected a volcanic eruption to be like rather than the ash clouds and PFs. Scary. Brings back memories of sitting in front of old films (not that they were that old then) as a child and panicking as the people in them ran from the lava flows.

Thinking of the old volcano films reminded me that since watching an episode of Hawaii Five-0 back when I was about 9 or 10, I haven't been able to sleep with my hair spread out on the pillow but always have to tuck it into a 'bun' behind my head. All I ever remembered was this woman in a white, flowy gown standing with her arms outstretched on the side of a mountain with her long, dark hair blowing wildly around her head in a halo effect and that she was scary. I think I thought that if I left my hair loose that she would turn up in my bedroom. She was supposed to be the Goddess Pele threatening to start an eruption and thanks to the wonderful internet I managed to track down the episode details. Now to see can I find the actual episode to watch again.
    The Big Kahuna -Sam Kalakua, a distant uncle of Kono, is being tormented by what he thinks is an apparition of Pele, the Hawaiian goddess of volcanoes and fire. The Governor makes a personal request of McGarrett to look into the case.

Sorry, once again, for going off topic but with the Merapi webcam down I'm at a bit of a loose end. :P

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

wouldn't this type of thread be more suited to the geography forum? just dont see how its related to the weather!!! the iceland one yeah, because the wind direction decided if we could take a plane or not!!!

I for one don't mind where it goes, so if a mod wants to move it please leave a forwarding address. Didn't even notice that there is a Geography forum on boards.

Merapi erupted again at about 2.50am our time according to James Reynolds on Twitter. Those poor bloody people.
    Plume drifting SW about 1500m above volcano - that's my unofficial estimate...

It looks like Anak Krakatau has a rumbling appendix and Piton de la Fournaise seems to be waking up again.

I wonder what are the chances that Merapi, Sinabung and Anat Krakatau will all go off together or in a string. That would certainly affect the weather, I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Interesting alright upforanything.

Article here lists eight major volcanos showing increased signs of activity
    http://theindonesiatoday.com/news-headline/5226-eight-volcanoes-status-raised-to-level-ii-status.html

I for one don't mind where it goes, so if a mod wants to move it please leave a forwarding address. Didn't even notice that there is a Geography forum on boards.

Its relatively new.I suppose i would be sad to see the volcanoes and earthquakes leave here though"!!!

You pipped me at the post there, Wolfe. I was just about to post this.

Duh, Eight Mountain Fire in the Status Alert

I love the Indonesian translations. I wonder is that supposded to be a Homer Simpson D'oh! :D

It's only one, little thread, thetoneynator and not taking up too much room in the overall scheme of weather things. Geography looks very quiet and I might end up talking to myself most of the time, unlike here. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

the impact on our weather/climate by a major explosive eruption is considerable. That's why i am interested in this thread i.e. for weather reasons
    132874.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    the impact on our weather/climate by a major explosive eruption is considerable. That's why i am interested in this thread i.e. for weather reasons

+1 It would be a shame to see this thread banished to Geography

• Advertisement

I never thought about it like that!!!

Here are some images of the Merapi eruptions earlier today and also some of Typhoon Megi in the Phillippines.

Typhoon Fury

I go to town for a few hours and look what I miss. :)

Volcanos and dirty bombs. :eek: LOL

Oh F...... the news is bad from Merapi. Massive explosion took place about 3 hours ago.

See here.

:(:(

Found this. Really puts our budget whinging in perspective. Google translates it into English quite well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11656700

Shows video of the ash in Yogyakarta.
    Mount Merapi volcano has erupted for a third time, with local people reportedly saying this was louder and stronger than the previous eruption on Tuesday.

The latest eruption happened at around 0100 on Saturday (1800GMT Friday).

Agence France Presse reported that it caused panic, with hundreds of people, including police and soldiers, trying to flee in cars or on motorbikes.

Ash was raining down in Yogyakarta, about 30km (19 miles) away.

Matt Burgess, a photography student from Australia, is in Yogyakarta. He told the BBC: "I was in a nightclub when a friend called to say there was a load of ash. I went outside and saw ash falling like snow."

But authorities say Yogyakarta is safe. The head of the monitoring body has said the risk remains lmited to the 10km zone around the mountain.

Nearer that zone, though, people felt more in danger.

"I heard several sounds like thunder," Mukimen, a mother-of-two who was fleeing with her family, told AFP. "I was so scared I was shaking."

There had been a number of small eruptions earlier on Friday but with no casualties reported.

Earlier, officials said two people who suffered burns from Tuesday's eruption had died from their injuries, bringing the confirmed death toll to 35.

At least 47,000 people who live around Mount Merapi are staying in government camps or with friends and relatives, according to the National Disaster Management Agency.

But there are frequent reports of displaced people returning to check on their properties or livestock.

Government volcanologist Subandrio told AFP the new eruption suggested the government should be "more serious" about enforcing the exclusion zone and possibly widening it.

Alert levels have been raised on four other volcanoes, two of which are definitely showing signs of activity - Anak Krakatau and Mount Semeru.

Video frame grab of last night's GIANT eruption column taken by James Reynolds.

http://yfrog.com/49i1pyj

I'm away today until late evening so please someone keep an eye on news of Merapi for me. :(

Quoted from the Big Think site.
    UPDATE: Here are some maps of the sulfur dioxide plumes from the Merapi eruption over Indonesia - today (10/30) and yesterday (10/29). If you compare the two, you can clearly see the large plume coming from the volcano on 10/30.

At least it stayed quiet enough while I was away. Most boring Christening celebration I've ever been to.

Also:

Eight Volcanoes Status Raised to Level II
    Theindonesiatoday.com – The Centre of Vulcanology and Mitigation of Geology Disaster, a sub-department of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, on Friday announced that the status of eight volcanoes has been raised to level II or “caution level”, indicating increasing activity of these volcanoes.
    The eight volcanoes are: (1) Mount Sinabung, in Karo, North Sumatera; (2) Mount Talang, Solok, West Sumatera; (3) Mount Anak Krakatau, Lampung (Child of Krakatau Volcano); (4) Mount Papandayan, Garut, West Java; (5) Mount Slamet, Tegal, Central Java; (6) Mount Dieng, Wonosobo, Central Java; (7) Mount Semeru, Lumajang, East Java; and Mount Bromo, Probolinggo, East Java, detik.com reported on Friday.
    Level I is “Normal” status, means that there is no magma pressured from beneath the mount. Action recommended is routine observation, survey and study.

When a volcano status is raised to Level II status or “Caution”, there is increasing activity above normal level and that there has been seismic activity. Under this situation, actions need to be undertaken include public campaign over the impact on the society if the volcano erupts, checking the availability of public facilities and monitoring activity. Level II or alert status means there is an increasing activity such as anomalies that can be seen visually or crater inspection results, quakes, and other volcanic phenomena.

The third level or Level III is an “Alert” (yellow) status. Under this period, a volcano shows indications to erupt, seismic activity intensifies and that seismic data shows that seismic activity of the mount will continue to eruption level that could cause disaster. Actions need to be taken during this period is public campaign about areas that might be affected by the volcanic eruption. In addition, transportation facilities and emergency facilities have to be prepared. Coordination is now done on daily basis. The volcano now has to be fully monitored for 24 hours a day.

The fourth level or Level IV is a “”Danger” or “Red” status. During this period, the volcano shows indication that will soon erupt. The public is informed that the mount is in critical condition that would lead to disaster. Initial eruption begins to happen as seen by smokes coming out from the top of the mount. Usually, it follows with main eruption.

When a volcano’s status is raised to “Danger” status, the possible affected area MUST be vacated. Coordination for evacuation is now intensified that monitoring on the volcano is intensified.

The status of Mount Merapi was raised to “Danger” status two days before it erupted. In reality, villagers were still living in the danger zone area although they have been told to leave. They only rushed to refugee camps only minutes before the Mt Merapi spewed hot ashes. Most people managed to run away, while some were trapped as they have no time to run away.

The Level II status of Child of Krakatau volcano has been set since October 31, 2009. In the last four days, its eruption has reached 100 times. “In 2009, the status has been put in level II, but then its eruption had decreased. On October 10, 2010, the smokes start to spew again,” the Head Volcano Observation for Western Indonesia Hendrasto told detik.com.

“On October 17, there are about 45 eruptions recorded at the little Krakatau. Some days later, the eruptions disappeared. But on October 23, the small eruption started again until now,” said Hendrasto. (Hatman Bintang & Roffie K)

Sunday 31st October 2010
    Merapi Volcano, Indonesia

Eruptions continue at Merapi volcano, Indonesia. People have been asked to remain in evacuation centres, and flights may be disrupted from Adisucipto International Airport Yogyakarta. Volcanic activity is still high with 38 lava avalanches occurring between midnight and 3 pm yesterday. An eruption column reached 3 km above the summit. Pyroclastic flows extended down the south, southwest , and western slopes of the volcano, with a maximum runout distance of 7 km. Ashfall was reported 20 km from the volcano. At 00:50 hr yesterday there was an explosion at the summit of Merapi which affected a radius of 2 km from the volcano. The explosion earthquake was felt by people at Srumbung village, 12 km from the volcano. At 0:35 hr yesterday there was a large pyroclastic flow recorded which lasted for 22 minutes, and flowed in the direction of K. Gendol, K. Kuning, K. Krasak, and K. Boyong. At 0:16 hours yesterday a pyroclastic flow lasted 7 minutes and flowed towards K. Lamat, K. Senowo, and K. Krasak. The Center of Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation in Indonesia reports that a major eruption is possible.

And to add into the mix
    Chaiten Chile just upgraded to Red

Krakatau volcano gos bang
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20101030/twl-second-indonesian-volcano-erupts-41f21e0.html

Just happined to get these on cam now.

must be still firing a little

nice pic on here

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2010/10/2010103114124730967.html

• Advertisement

merapi erupting again by looks of it.
    trying to post screen shot. :o sorry no can do, keep getting invalid file :(

Advertisement