Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One to keep an eye on!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

merapi1154php.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

it's night-time setting in most likely, although the trees in the foreground look more ashen than previously

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    it's night-time setting in most likely.

I just had that thought! :o

hehe:)

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    hehe:)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing in my hands. I am sitting here convinced I am the world's greatest vulcanologist rather than a rank amateur with too much time on my hands who knows absolutely nothing about volcanoes except that you spell them with an es. :D

• Advertisement

except that you spell them with an es. :D
    didn't know that :o

I see Daily Mail are getting typically excited as well
    'There's no telling what's next'

Could it be, that, thats the end of it?

They have to sell papers.

That poor baby in the article. I hope they find a nice family to take it in.

I'm surprised that so little was made of the tsunami warning the other night. They didn't seem to give it much urgency.

This is the latest update on the RSOE EDIS website.
    Situation Update No. 12
    On 27.10.2010 at 03:47 GMT+2

The death toll following the eruption of Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has risen to 25, officials say, amid fears of fresh eruptions. Experts told the BBC that the ash levels had subsided a little, but that their readings suggested there would be more volcanic activity soon. Thousands fled their homes on Tuesday as ash spewed out of the volcano, turning the landscape white. But many people refused to leave, and rescuers fear the death toll may rise. One rescuer, Christian Awuy, told the BBC that he feared up to 50 could have been killed. He said although 10,000 people had been evacuated, many had stayed behind. The AFP news agency reported local officials as saying the man known as the volcano's spiritual gatekeeper, Mbah or grandfather Marijan, was among the dead. For many Javanese, Merapi is a sacred site.

The agency said he was found dead in his house about 4km (2.5 miles) from the summit, but this has not been independently confirmed. A cameraman for Reuters was quoted as saying: "Several houses and cattle have been burned by the hot cloud from the mountain. All the houses are blanketed in ash, completely white. The leaves have been burned off the trees." Endita Sri Andiyanti, a spokeswoman at the main local hospital, said 25 people were dead and more than a dozen others were being treated for injuries. Government vulcanologist Subandrio told the BBC's Karishma Vaswani in Jakarta that the volcanic activity appeared to have subsided based on the recordings of the levels of hot ash in the air. However, he said he expected more eruptions soon, although there was no way of telling when or how big they would be. Another vulcanologist, Ed Venski of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, told the BBC's World Today that pressure building up under a "lava dome" inside the volcano threatened further devastation.

"This the largest hazard at Merapi. It builds up as a sticky lava, where it builds up into a dome. "At some point either there's an explosion from below that causes it to collapse, or a simple addition of lava causes it to collapse. And this sends large, hot blocks of solidified lava down the slopes," he said. This "pyroclastic flow" is highly dangerous both in its heat and the poison of the gases. Experts hope the volcano, some 500km (310 miles) south-east of Jakarta on Indonesia's most heavily populated island, Java, will release steam slowly rather than erupt in a big blast. Authorities are continuing to move away thousands of local villagers living near the volcano, but it is proving to be difficult. Many villagers ignored warnings because they were reluctant to leave homes and farms unattended.

Isnt it annoying that the camera works grand when you cant see jack!!!!
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

uk volcanologist Ralf Gertisser (& Merapi expert) talking about Merapi Eruption on BBC Radio Stoke (Starts 0:46:45)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00bpfqf/Breakfast_with_Pete_Morgan_27_10_2010
    video on the gatekeeper killed yesterday

If you haven't come across this blog before it is very informative but raises as many questions as it answers. :)

Big Think

ETA: Some more photos - very distressing as they show some bodies.

http://www.stern.de/panorama/ausbruch-des-merapi-mondlandschaften-in-indonesien-1617936.html

Also an article about the nature of the eruption, why there is still an alert and what may happen. Google translates Indonesian to English better than I can but it's still a bit iffy.

http://web.bisnis.com/umum/1id217210.html

Mt Merapi still dangerous, no lava dome yet

Yogyakarta (ANTARA News) - No lava dome has yet formed on the top of Mount Merapi so far so that the volcano remains dangerous after erupting on Tuesday killing dozens of people.

"Until now no lava has come out and no new lava dome has formed so that the current highest danger status of the mountain remains," head of the Yogyakarta Vulcanology Technology Development and Assessment (BPPTK), Subandrio, said here on Wednesday.

He said the mountain`s eruption this year was different from its usual characteristic and so is the hot gas spewed which has a direct blast nature or coming out continuously in a flat course.

The materials produced are also only sand and ash without rocks like as usual, he said.

This means that not all volcanic materials in the mountain`s peak have not yet been sent along with the eruption and therefore the BPPTK would continue monitoring the building of the lava dome, he said.

"We will keep monitoring to see where the new lava dome would be built. If it is in the position of the 1911 lava dome, it will become very easy to fall because the 1911 dome is already very old," he said.

The head of the Vulcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center, Surono, said the volcanic materials that would accumulate to form a lava dome had a volume of around 7.5 million meter cubic.

Surono said he recommended that people remained staying in the evacuation centers because the mountain`s status was still at the ready.

I hope this is dawn coming and not another eruption. They could do with a fews days breathing space if it has to blow again.

http://www.merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id/view-r.php?id=1

I was wondering the same, is it dawn alreay there?
    very bright above the volcano, is it cloud ash or wha? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

I hope this is dawn coming and not another eruption. They could do with a fews days breathing space if it has to blow again.

http://www.merapi.bgl.esdm.go.id/view-r.php?id=1

it is just gone past midnight there.

could be the moon maybe giving it light.
    but what i did notice is, that there is bright white spots around it.
    could that be hot ash!!!! which i dont think it is. as its not moving when refreshing it.

id say moon

In my mind this thing is blowing chunks! :)

Seriously though there does appear to be some very bright spots on the right hand side of frame.

Jake1 wrote: »
    In my mind this thing is blowing chunks! :)

Seriously though there does appear to be some very bright spots on the right hand side of frame.

just noticed them
    they been there a while. not sure what they are, as they are not moving.
    o they gone now in the 2nd pic

Somebody on the Big Think reckoned the lights were helicopter lights. There was a lot of light there for an hour. All gone dark again. I have lots of consecutive screen shots if anyone can tell me how to put them together.

im confussed with the light things.

just seen them again, looked the same lights that were at the side but going stright up.
    stayed there in same postion for a while,
    so cant be it firing them out.

• Advertisement

It has started raining now in the Merapi area so their fears for Lahar might become reality. Poor feckers. :(

It will be interesting to see, if there is a major eruption there soon, whether it has any effect on the polar vortex this Winter.

I hadn't forgotten you mentioned this, NL but got carried away by the eruption. I haven't a clue about the polar vortex but googled a bit and came up with this.
    In November 2009, Joe D’Aleo wrote a paper on Volcanoes and CO2 and Global Temperatures. He wrote this about volcanoes and cooler temperatures, especially in the summer. Do not put away your sweaters yet.

Major volcanoes (those that reach well into the stratosphere) do have more effect on climate than CO2 but the effects are temporary. It is not the ash but the sulfur dioxide which is quickly converted to sulfate aerosols that is responsible for reducing the incoming solar radiation by backscattering it to space. Reductions of 7% were observed after Agung in the 1960s. For this reason, major eruptions of volcanoes cause global cooling. This is well established and non-controversial. The cooling is greatest in summer with a mixed picture in winter depending on whether the volcanoes are low or high latitudes. Tropical volcanoes lead to a stronger polar vortex and positive arctic oscillation in winter which mean less cold in Western Europe and eastern United States. High latitude volcanoes have a tendency for a negative arctic oscillation and colder temperature into mid-latitudes winter and summer (Oman and Robock 2006).

Does this mean that if Merapi spews enough sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere that we could have a milder winter than many are forecasting?

Strange, it is now 8.26am (their time) in Yogyakarta, yet the Merapi webcam is in darkness whilst the Sinabung webcam shows broad daylight.

sin0229php.jpg

mer229php.jpg

In fact the Merapi webcam looks like it has been stuck on the same picture for over the last hour. :confused:

I'm such a moron. It has stopped working. I've taken loads of captures over the last few hours and they all show the same time. :rolleyes: I should have gone to bed hours ago.

MENTAWAI ISLANDS, Indonesia -- Officials say the Indonesian volcano that has killed 33 people this week is erupting again. No new injuries or damage are reported. The latest rumblings of Mount Merapi come as rescuers cope with a rising death toll from a tsunami in another part of the sprawling archipelago nation. Indonesian vulcanology agency says Merapi began erupting again at around 4:30 p.m. Thursday, spewing hot clouds of ash. Most of the residents have been evacuated from the area. It was unclear whether the new activity was a sign of another major blast to come.

Thanks Wolf, Real life intruded. Will look to see what I've missed.

Shiveluch in Russia also started erupting earlier today. When I looked earlier the webcam was dead.

http://data.emsd.iks.ru/videosvl/videosvl.htm

That camera caught me last night too:)

Im looking for link to Kamchatka volcano webcam.
    It erupted few days ago.

http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-10-28/kamchatka-volcano-eruption-ashes.html

UP to our elbows in volcanos :)

Thanks Wolf, Real life intruded. Will look to see what I've missed.

Shiveluch in Russia also started erupting earlier today. When I looked earlier the webcam was dead.

http://data.emsd.iks.ru/videosvl/videosvl.htm

Sorry dude, I posted this as well, didnt notice. Sorry. :)

signs of lava
    132728.jpg

• Advertisement

Holy moly, this is scary, especially with the sirens. Day-Um

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11643745

Advertisement