Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I have to hand it to Darren Fletcher, doing a great job of commentating on BT sports, really knows his stuff. Very interesting to hear a British commentator for baseball, one of my favourite soccer commentators so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Listening to A-Rod... wow amazed he has a booth job. Bad commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I have to hand it to Darren Fletcher, doing a great job of commentating on BT sports, really knows his stuff. Very interesting to hear a British commentator for baseball, one of my favourite soccer commentators so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Can't be as bad as the ESPN crew anyway. They keep trying to bring Cricket into the conversation and haven't a clue. Stick to what you know guys.

Smoltz and Buck for Fox yesterday weren't as bad although they throw in the odd cliche too.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Listening to A-Rod... wow amazed he has a booth job. Bad commentator.

Those 3 just don't seem to gel I don't think. A-Rod and Mendosa probably know their stuff but they've no chemistry together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Salt Lake Stallion

Yankees turning it on now, massive 7th inning, still only 1 out.

Yankees turning it on now, massive 7th inning, still only 1 out.

Just as the ESPN commentators were saying the hitters could no longer see the ball because of the shadows, the Yankees score 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Yanks defense is so much better than the red Sox,chavis struggling at 1st .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Chavis, nightmare for him.....

MPbX6OD.jpg

Yanks defense is so much better than the red Sox,chavis struggling at 1st .

I was saying something similar earlier on. I was surprised at how poor the Red Sox defence was. Is this just a 2 game blip or is this how's its been all season?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I was saying something similar earlier on. I was surprised at how poor the Red Sox defence was. Is this just a 2 game blip or is this how's its been all season?
    I havnt watched much of them tbh but I'd say they have been a bit off all season.Who usually plays 1st for them? Steve Pearce?

Hey! At least the Mets are at the 'tops' in MLB in a few categories:

Blown Saves(leads MLB)
    Errors (leading the NL,weirdly the Yankees have 1 more error. Seattle overall league leader by a big margin so far)
    1 behind LAD in Save opportunities (LAD lead the NL.) So, they do get their chances.

• Advertisement

And... they posted an apology confirming message on the scoreboard last night. Unfortunately, they misspelled one of the player's names.

Just can't make this stuff up. Reminds me of the bad old days under Lorinda de Roulet. Inept was a generous description of that group, at one point Lorinda supposedly suggested washing & reusing baseballs to save money.

Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs found dead a couple of hours ago, only pitched on Saturday. 27 is very young to go.

No word on circumstances yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

kmart6 wrote: »
    Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs found dead a couple of hours ago, only pitched on Saturday. 27 is very young to go.

No word on circumstances yet.

Sadly looks like OD or suicide. Found in his hotel room, not being treated as suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sadly looks like OD or suicide. Found in his hotel room, not being treated as suspicious.

A lot of people seem to be speculating that it's something more natural like an aneurysm

Optimistic way of reading into the "not suspicious" statement. I think it's more likely something like you're saying.

Terribly sad regardless, only going on 28 and recently married.

A suicide would be surprising considering what people are saying about him and the posts going around on social the night before. An overdose would raise serious questions. As bad as this will sound I hope it was something natural and not something to tarnish him.

Sad news with Skagg’s death alright. It always amazes me how they get back on the horse so quickly after something like this. It was the same with the Marlins when Jose Fernandez died.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Sad news with Skagg’s death alright. It always amazes me how they get back on the horse so quickly after something like this. It was the same with the Marlins when Jose Fernandez died.

Its very tragic. I know that game has to go on but would giving the guys a few days off really be such a big deal

Apparently, the minor-league NY Mets affiliate in Florida had their post-game fireworks show explode.
    https://twitter.com/mikemayerMMO/status/1146963822416203777

I'm sure every baseball team playing yesterday, MLB and minors, had some fireworks display either yesterday or recently. But which one has it go badly? The Mets.

Can't make this up. I still recall, I think it was 1986, the Mets played some crazy long night game the night of their July 4 celebration. 19 innings or some such, ended at 4a.m.. Didn't stop the erstwhile Garucchi brothers, they had a contract, did the fireworks show. The locals around Fulton County Statdium called the cops worrying about being under attack!

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/braves-mets-july-4-1985-19-inning-rick-camp-home-run-keith-hernandez-cycle/6thw0lhidpts17ezqko81n830

• Advertisement

Sleeveless jerseys for the Reds today

https://twitter.com/si_mlb/status/1147921321222967302

Edit - Beaten 11-1. Put the sleeves back on lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

There might be some actual pitching tomorrow.. 5 hour games isn't gonna get people over here interested in the game.

:D

Emm, this is England, where they love Test cricket! 5 hours is nothing.

RIP Jim Bouton, author of the must-read baseball book, "Ball Four." 80 years old. Great book, have read it several times

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jim-bouton-dead-ball-four-author-yankees-pitcher-was-80-1194925

Angels just had the following sequence against Mariners

Groundout-Single-Walk-Catcher Interference-Walk-Strikeout-Hit By Pitch-Strikeout.

All it needed was a balk to get the full house.

Edit: Angels got a combined no-hitter. Not even mad, Angels first home game since losing Skaggs - they all wore Skaggs jerseys and had his mother throw out the first pitch.

Every game seems to be free on MLB.TV today.

Every game seems to be free on MLB.TV today.

It has been free all weekend.

It has been free all weekend.

Ah cool, didn't watch any games yesterday so didn't see.

Combined Rays perfect game ended with the first pitch of the ninth (and followed by second hit)

EDIT - Didn't realise it was a team effort when I tuned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Angels just had the following sequence against Mariners

Groundout-Single-Walk-Catcher Interference-Walk-Strikeout-Hit By Pitch-Strikeout.

All it needed was a balk to get the full house.

Edit: Angels got a combined no-hitter. Not even mad, Angels first home game since losing Skaggs - they all wore Skaggs jerseys and had his mother throw out the first pitch.

Last combined no hitter in California was 7/13/91, the day Tyler Skaggs was born

• Advertisement

Not as good as 'Our ass is in the jackpot' from a few years back but entertaining nonetheless. I wish there was more miked up stuff.

https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1151971547147583488

EDIT - one game ban for Boone so his savages are on their own tonight.

Advertisement