Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbits

Options
  • 10-07-2019 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Just wondering what people usually do with rabbits they shoot if they dont eat them heading out in next 2 weeks or so land i have is overrun with them and i dont eat them either would their be any value for them any ideas cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Keith2828 wrote: »
    Just wondering what people usually do with rabbits they shoot if they dont eat them heading out in next 2 weeks or so land i have is overrun with them and i dont eat them either would their be any value for them any ideas cheers

Spread the word in your local. Older ould dears grew up on rabbit and would love some to eat. That’s what I do. Nothing goes to waste.
    Otherwise dogs ferrets or birds of prey owners will take them as long as they’re rifle shot.
    But old neighbours will take them. That’s what I do.
    If it’s just lest control without eating they’re perfect for target practise but I suggest you find people who will use them. Mostly older people will take them like mine or dog owners.
    Some fly fisherman will take the fur aswell. Nothing goes to waste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Young rabbits make very good eating. Wish i had rabbits around here. Virus has them all but gone from these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Asus1

Give wild irish game a ring they buy deer and pigeon so id assume they buy rabbits.You should try eating it look on YouTube for bbq rabbits,i got a recipe off 1 video a few years ago and it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

You must have a 'Safe Handling of Wild Game Certification' , known as the Trained Hunter by NARGC, which is recognised by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) in order to sell game.
    Even if you had the certificate unless you live right beside Wild Irish Game it wouldn't be worth your while unless your getting substantialy large bags.
    From my professional experience the rabbits supplied here on the commercial market are farmed. There was a place here farming them but most come in from mainland Europe, mostly what we bought were French.
    I used to sell wild rabbits to a butcher (long since closed) in Stoneybatter in Dublin, even then in the ninghties you'd be lucky to get the price of a few boxs of ammo.

Try eating them and if you don't like it try it a different way. As Benjamin Buford "Bubba" Blue said 'You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp kabobs,  shrimp creole,  shrimp gumbo'. Now just substitute shrimp with rabbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Asus1 wrote: »
    Give wild irish game a ring they buy deer and pigeon so id assume they buy rabbits.You should try eating it look on YouTube for bbq rabbits,i got a recipe off 1 video a few years ago and it was brilliant.

Are they the crowd based in Clane??

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Are they the crowd based in Clane??

Yes indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Couple of years ago the bunnies were plentiful here , my wife used to cook them in the slow cooker for a few hours, the meat fell off the bones and was mixed with a few lardons, mushrooms, herbs and white wine sauce, then made into pies and frozen for future consumption. No waste and very tasty.

Also unlike paper targets you can only shoot the rabbits once so if you shoot them all thats it no more rabbits for hunting.Unless the land owner wants them all gone,take a few every week and leave some for birds of prey and its nice to see some rabbits early in the morning nibbling along the verge of a hedge-row in the fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Keith2828

Also unlike paper targets you can only shoot the rabbits once so if you shoot them all thats it no more rabbits for hunting.Unless the land owner wants them all gone,take a few every week and leave some for birds of prey and its nice to see some rabbits early in the morning nibbling along the verge of a hedge-row in the fields.

Yes of course i wouldn't be going out on a extinction plan at all the place is very active with them to the point were your at arms reach most time from them they a bit of a problem for the farmer at the moment and as i said i dont eat them and didn't want to be throwing lots of good meat to the ditches as i usually eat most i shoot besides rabbit but i will try a few recipes next time see how they fair out besides that i will see if any dog owners want them for dog food also

Keith2828 wrote: »
    Yes of course i wouldn't be going out on a extinction plan at all the place is very active with them to the point were your at arms reach most time from them they a bit of a problem for the farmer at the moment and as i said i dont eat them and didn't want to be throwing lots of good meat to the ditches as i usually eat most i shoot besides rabbit but i will try a few recipes next time see how they fair out besides that i will see if any dog owners want them for dog food also

Heres a quick kinda bbq recipe for rabbits.Do usual gut,skin and butcher.I really only use saddle and back legs,front legs are not worth the hassle in my opinion. Go to aldi and get a pack of their premade bbq powders,they are 0.80 each and the sticky Chinese one is lovely also pick up some butter milk and a fresh batch loaf.
    Lightly cut across legs and thighs with knife and soak in buttermilk overnight.Take out following day drain and pat dry.Put them in clean bowel and sprinkle a good bit of the powder bbq on them,return to fridge,cover bowel and leave overnight.Cooking times are different for everyone but i think anything over 45mins and it will be probably dry and not nice.
    For saddles get pan hot and add a bit of butter.Put 4 saddles with a bit of salt and a load of pepper in pan and fry till hot inside,the same way you would fry a mini chicken fillet.Butter the heal and a slice of batch,throw saddles on and enjoy.By the way i dont think rabbit tastes like chicken more like a mild pork chop flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Southern Fried Rabbit

Boil the jointed rabbit with a stock cube until tender, when boiled strip meat from bone if desired (goujons for kids) or leave whole joints.

Season flour with salt pepper, BBQ or Tex Mex seasoning and mixed herbs. No rules here whatever tickles your fancy. Beat an egg into half cup of milk.

Then roll boiled rabbit in seasoned flour dip into beaten egg milk mix and roll again in the seasoned flour.

Deep fry for 3 or 4 minutes until golden brown in very hot oil.

Sit back and watch people who have never eaten rabbit before ask for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

They do breed like rabbits. Shooting a few does not reduce the population numbers to extinction but mixi and foxes do.

Im definitely going to try these recipes thanks lads if i like it ill have to go pick up another freezer then lol cheers

Saw this on another place

Huge Rabbit Quantities Wanted Urgently
    We are looking for as many rabbits we can get our hands on. The following are the details..

1. No need to be panched
    2. Place individually in clear plastic bags
    3. Freeze until collection is organised
    4. €2 per rabbit
    5. Collection can be bi-weekly/monthly and as many as you have shot we will buy from you.

Please contact me on 087 6477464 if you are interested.
    regards,

Marie
    Gourmet Game Ltd
    Scariff
    Co. Clare

Eddie B wrote: »

We are looking for as many rabbits we can get our hands on. The following are the details..

1. No need to be panched
    4. €2 per rabbit
    5. Collection can be bi-weekly/monthly and as many as you have shot we will buy from you.

regards,

Marie
    Gourmet Game Ltd
    Scariff
    Co. Clare

Thats great thank you much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

1. No need to be panched
    4. €2 per rabbit

regards,

Marie
    Gourmet Game Ltd
    Scariff
    Co. Clare
    'No need to be Panched' would'nt fancy eating anything with the guts left in it frozen or not.:eek:

decky1 wrote: »
    'No need to be Panched' would'nt fancy eating anything with the guts left in it frozen or not.:eek:

Me either everything thats shot should be gutted as soon as in my opinion common practice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Wonder if there's a requirement for them to check the organs before they can use the meat?
    Only explanation I can think of.

€2ea ain't bad.

I'm a bit intrigued about this situation as outlined in the previous posts.
    The following are extracts from the

REGULATION (EC) No 853/2004 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCILof 29 April 2004
    Laying down specific hygiene rules for food of animal origin
    https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Consol_Reg853_2004(1).pdf

SECTION IV: WILD GAME MEAT
    CHAPTER I: TRAINING OF HUNTERS IN HEALTH AND HYGIENE
    1. Persons who hunt wild game with a view to placing it on the market for human consumption must have sufficient knowledge of the pathology of wild game, and of the production and handling of wild game and wild game meat after hunting, to undertake an initial examination of wild game on the spot.
    2. It is however enough if at least one person of a hunting team has the knowledge referred to in point 1. References in this Section to a ‘trained person’ are references to that person.
    3. The trained person could also be the gamekeeper or the game manager if he or she is part of the hunting team or located in the immediate vicinity of where hunting is taking place. In the latter case, the hunter must present the wild game to the gamekeeper or game manager and inform them of any abnormal behaviour observed before killing.
    4. Training must be provided to the satisfaction of the competent authority to enable hunters to become trained persons. It should cover at least the following subjects:
    (a) the normal anatomy, physiology and behaviour of wild game;
    (b) abnormal behaviour and pathological changes in wild game due to diseases, environmental contamination or other factors which may affect human health after consumption;
    (c) the hygiene rules and proper techniques for the handling, transportation, evisceration, etc. of wild game animals after killing; and
    (d) legislation and administrative provisions on the animal and public health and hygiene conditions governing the placing on the market of wild game.
    5. The competent authority should encourage hunters' organisations to provide such training./I

Sections 1-3 clearly outlines the requirement of a trained hunter and thier presence is required either at the time of killing or to be a party to that activity. This was all ready discussed and the stretching of the regulations to encompass the collection of game by a trained hunter from a secound party was not within the bounds of the regulation. In other words a trained hunter could not act as a collection point for a registered game dealer by collecting game off unqualified hunters.

CHAPTER III: HANDLING OF SMALL WILD GAME
    1. The trained person must carry out an examination to identify any characteristics that may indicate that the meat presents a health risk. The examination must take place as soon as possible after killing.
    2. If abnormal characteristics are found during the examination, abnormal behaviour was observed before killing, or environmental contamination is suspected, the trained person must inform the competent authority.
    3. Meat of small wild game may be placed on the market only if the body is transported to a game-handling establishment as soon as possible after the examination referred to in point 1.
    4. Chilling must begin within a reasonable period of time of killing and achieve a temperature throughout the meat of not more than 4 °C. Where climatic conditions so permit, active chilling is not necessary.
    5. Evisceration must be carried out, or completed, without undue delay upon arrival at the game -handling establishment, unless the competent authority permits otherwise.
    6. Small wild game delivered to a game-handling establishment must be presented to the competent authority for inspection.
    7. The rules laid down in Section II, Chapter V, apply to the cutting and boning of small wild game.

The above includes more detail and I would hazard a guess that the best practice of not eviscerating game birds to lesson the chance of bacterial growth and cross contamination is why section 5 allows for the delivery of whole small game.

It is (or was) generally considered not good practice to freeze whole poultry or feathered game with thier intestinal tract left whole. The natural occurance of bacteria in the gut present a significant health risk especially if any aspect of the food chain can deviate from acceptable standards.

A few years back there was a requirement for whole dead rabbits (fur on, guts in) for use in military SERE and survival courses. The initial requests to the registored game dealers was positive but quickly the avenue dried up as they were not allowed pass on whole game under thr current food hygiene laws.

extremetaz wrote: »
    Wonder if there's a requirement for them to check the organs before they can use the meat?
    Only explanation I can think of.

€2ea ain't bad.

just talking to a hunting friend he said he's getting 10 euro each for live rabbits, but you'd need to use ferrets for that game.:eek:

• Advertisement

just talking to a hunting friend he said he's getting 10 euro each for live rabbits, but you'd need to use ferrets for that game.:eek:

You could also get ten years for it :pac:

You could also get ten years for it :pac:

ah that's getting back to another post on here about sentencing where a child molester got 2 years and your telling me it's 10 years for catching live rabbits, is'nt it a great country we live in.:confused::mad:

ah that's getting back to another post on here about sentencing where a child molester got 2 years and your telling me it's 10 years for catching live rabbits, is'nt it a great country we live in.:confused::mad:

Well that was a bit tongue in cheek, but you could get in big trouble for it all the same. The way things are going, there may not be much more demand for live rabbits here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

They might not be needed for human consumption. I wonder what they want them for. At €2 it would only barely for the petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

They might not be needed for human consumption. I wonder what they want them for. At €2 it would only barely for the petrol.

Also doesn't state that the rabbits have to be headshot.

A rabbit shot with a shotgun or with a rifle in the gut and then frozen whole would not be something I'd look forward to eating.

I was wondering about that myself, maybe another market other then human consumption.
    Maybe a raw dog food niche market or some such......
    ....... the Atlantic Way's first Crocodile Farm!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Any idea as the what the minimum amount to be collected is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just a curiosity, but would lads shoot enough rabbits to make this worthwhile and if so do you do it because the population is so high or simply to increase the payout?

As for what i do. Only back back on "rabbit land" two years ago so hadn't shot any for years before that, but i give them to an ould lad down the road from me that loves them, keep one or two (now and then) for myself and anything else i get my mate takes for his dogs.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Cass wrote: »
    Just a curiosity, but would lads shoot enough rabbits to make this worthwhile and if so do you do it because the population is so high or simply to increase the payout?

As for what i do. Only back back on "rabbit land" two years ago so hadn't shot any for years before that, but i give them to an ould lad down the road from me that loves them, keep one or two (now and then) for myself and anything else i get my mate takes for his dogs.

I wouldn't think there worth selling. I shot 32 the other evening my best evening out in years, we eat a nice bit of rabbit and also feed the dogs with the rest usually cut them at the bottom of the rib cage top half with the shoulder for dogs and the back and legs for the table. If I had sold them I wouldn't have got enough to replace with other meat from the butchers with the money, meat that's full of **** injected in them in the form of antibiotics etc.

Wild game all the way can't buy better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If I had sold them I wouldn't have got enough to replace with other meat from the butchers with the money, meat that's full of **** injected in them in the form of antibiotics etc.

Wild game all the way can't buy better

Truer words never spoken.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement